Will Ron Roberts have a job next year?

shabby

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with you overall, but don’t you feel like 3d and long defense becomes easier when you have Derrick Brown/Marlon Davidson/Zacoby McClain/Colby Wooden type players vs what we have now? Last night and last week it was glaring how slow and un-athletic we are in the front 7. Worst I can remember in years. 

Easier? Sure. But a good DC can compensate for that. A lot of people are upset we didn’t rush more people on the play. Our strength is our secondary. So I don’t hate that we only had 2 rushers. Back off, play coverage. We had enough people to make sure a catch wasn’t made. But having a linebacker spy on that play was a waste. He’s not running 31 yards given the number of people back in coverage. And even more, I don’t understand how we decided to defend the end zone. We had 8 DBs back there, and 6 were standing in the middle of the end zone. That coverage made no sense.

Id be interested to go back now and rewatch some of the conversions earlier in the season to see what our coverage was. I have a feeling we were doing something funky with our DBs.

Edited by ScotsAU

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Literally just said this same thing 5 seconds after you!!!!!

Great minds…😅

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aubi1961 said:

Freeze saying he had no problem with the call to rush 2 guys, tells me all I need to know. I would take the guy coaching Missouri in a heartbeat over Freeze right now. 

Are u serious, Clark?

Just now, ScotsAU said:

Easier? Sure. But a good DC can compensate for that. A lot of people are upset we didn’t rush more people on the play. Our strength is our secondary. So I don’t hate that we only had 2 rushers. But having a linebacker spy on that play was a waste. He’s not running 31 yards given the number of people back in coverage. And even more, I don’t understand how we decided to defend the end zone. We had 8 DBs back there, and 6 were standing in the middle of the end zone. That coverage made no sense.

James had several key PBUs last night. If he had gotten that one right, we would’ve won. Their guy made a play and ours didn’t. The rest will always be debated. We’re all incredibly frustrated by it. 

4 hours ago, Aubi1961 said:

Freeze saying he had no problem with the call to rush 2 guys, tells me all I need to know. I would take the guy coaching Missouri in a heartbeat over Freeze right now. 

I actually didn’t have a problem with that. Our secondary has been the strength of our defense this year, and Milroe has really only looked mediocre as a passer. What I don’t get: 

1. Putting a spy on Milroe. There’s 8 guys in the end zone. Even if he breaks contain and tries to run for it, he’s not going to make it.

2. How our coverage was set up in the end zone. There were 6 guys hanging out in the middle, and only 1 in each corner. Kieonte messed up. But why was he having to defend the corner with no help? People were either out of place or it was poorly designed defense. 

If we’d rushed that spy, great. He runs out of time, and either tries to scramble for it or throws a bad pass. If we’d put a 9th person in the end zone and had our DBs appropriately spread out, there’s no open place for him to throw. Either of those would’ve worked. 

Edited by ScotsAU

Put me down for keeping Roberts.  I thought the defense was generally pretty good most of the time.  Just need to clean up the whole 3rd and long = automatic first down thing.  Gotta have some stability with coordinators at some point.

• Like 2

Some of you guys are idiots. Hugh Freeze isn't Gus 2.0. If Gus was still at Auburn, we probably wouldn't be bowl eligible. I fault Greene for hiring Harsin, and making a bad situation worse. 

• Dislike 1

Folks need to step back from the keyboard for a few. The emotional responses from a raw loss have a lot of folks fired up. Just as well, the constant sunshine pumping could dial it back a bit and let folks vent. Most of us reside somewhere in the middle of all of this.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Some of you guys are idiots. Hugh Freeze isn't Gus 2.0. If Gus was still at Auburn, we probably wouldn't be bowl eligible. I fault Greene for hiring Harsin, and making a bad situation worse. 

CHF isn’t Gus. Gus has proven more than anyone that he is capable of beating Bama. There is a high probability he beats Bama in that same situation. Can we please let get Gus be.

37 minutes ago, e808 said:

CHF isn’t Gus. Gus has proven more than anyone that he is capable of beating Bama. There is a high probability he beats Bama in that same situation. Can we please let get Gus be.

Was simply replying to those who are clinging to Malzahn. 

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

Put me down for keeping Roberts.  I thought the defense was generally pretty good most of the time.  Just need to clean up the whole 3rd and long = automatic first down thing.  Gotta have some stability with coordinators at some point.

Agreed all the way around 

Somewhere there is a coaches manual that says on page 892 that it's a good idea to go into prevent defense in certain situations.  Coach Roberts needs to remove that page and burn it.  And yes, he will have a job next year because he is a good DC and a good recruiter. I hope it's with Auburn. 

I didn't watch the game Saturday. Well, I watched us go 3 and out, and I watched Bama march down the field and score.  I turned it off then and found something else to do because I didn't want to suffer through getting blown out by Bama. I was very pleasantly surprised to find out it was a competitive game which was all I was hoping for. The pain of the agonizing loss didn't hit me as hard not watching it real time.  Most of you all need to get to that place. This may be the two roughest weeks in Auburn football history, but seriously, get over it.  I've never been more optimistic about the future, and I'm basically a pessimist.  We have the right head coach in place, and a good staff who all know how to recruit.  They took the worst heap of stinking garbage of a football mess and turned it into a competitive team that had Bama beat except for page 892 of the coaches manual and a fluke.    Just stay away from SEC shorts for a few weeks, watch basketball and the recruiting boards and you'll heal up just fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Folks need to step back from the keyboard for a few. The emotional responses from a raw loss have a lot of folks fired up. Just as well, the constant sunshine pumping could dial it back a bit and let folks vent. Most of us reside somewhere in the middle of all of this.

Amen!

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Guys, I thought that call last night was idiotic as well. However, I do think the defense was better overall this season than anticipated. Additionally, I also think we need some stability in this program. We can't keep doing this vicious cycle of firing and hiring acutely. With that being said, these coaches best damn win the recruiting battles. They got enough excuses for the season. The excuses end at recruiting .

I think dude did the best he could with no pass rushers whatsoever. Some bad calls here and there but with the right talent I think he's the guy. The 3rd and long bullcrap has to get fixed though. I truly hate that they got Milroe thinking he's hot **** now after that. *Sigh*

Edited by WFE12

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I think dude did the best he could with no pass rushers whatsoever. Some bad calls here and there but with the right talent I think he's the guy

I definitely don’t want him fired. The defense have been the consistent bright spot this year. Quite frankly none of the coordinators need to be fired as of yet. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I definitely don’t want him fired. The defense have been the consistent bright spot this year. Quite frankly none of the coordinators need to be fired as of yet. 

Maybe the OC

• Like 1

We have to be able to apply more pressure on the QB without blitzing. I agree that the 4th down call was one of the worst I can remember, but I’m willing to give him one more year to see if better players equals better results. 

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Maybe the OC

Potentially but I don’t think it will occur after one year. I do hope they really get in the portal and find a qb that can be a catalyst to the system they want to run.

My question is why shouldn't the coaches (including the head coach)  involved  with making those bone headed decisions take a major pay cut.  Clearly incompetent and robbing Auburn pretending to be able to coach football at this level.  Have never seen a game end like that and hope I never will again

6 minutes ago, LOhunter said:

My question is why shouldn't the coaches (including the head coach)  involved  with making those bone headed decisions take a major pay cut.  Clearly incompetent and robbing Auburn pretending to be able to coach football at this level.  Have never seen a game end like that and hope I never will again

The answer from a purely legal matter is that they have a contract that sets out their compensation.   Cutting their pay would constitute a breach of that contract and would result in legal fees and a judgment against the university.  

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Potentially but I don’t think it will occur after one year. I do hope they really get in the portal and find a qb that can be a catalyst to the system they want to run.

Thorne impressed me last night. I'm kinda out on transfer QBs. They're not gonna get a guy that could really overhaul the offense ala Burrow... Currently there's no real game changers out there. When Ashford leaves this off season maybe get one guy but I think it's Thorne.

Just now, WFE12 said:

Thorne impressed me last night. I'm kinda out on transfer QBs. They're not gonna get a guy that could really overhaul the offense ala Burrow... Currently there's no real game changers out there. When Ashford leaves this off season maybe get one guy but I think it's Thorne.

6 of 15 for less than 100 yards impressed you? Thorne can be good if he has the talent around him. We currently do not. Not close. It’s early let’s see what QBs go in the portal.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

6 of 15 for less than 100 yards impressed you? Thorne can be good if he has the talent around him. We currently do not. Not close. It’s early let’s see what QBs go in the portal.

Moreso grit and will to win. Nice runs. He can make the right throw here and there. We'll see what's in the portal. I'm not sure I can be anymore apathetic then I am rn.