Will Ron Roberts have a job next year?

shabby

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Since it would happen in the end zone, I believe, the ball would be placed on the 2 yard line with a first down.  They would have 32 seconds and as many plays as they could fit in those 32 seconds to win the game.

Six of one or a half dozen of another.

Or they could snap the ball over the QB's head again.  You are right, but I prefer living for one more play.  Of course, don't drop the damn ball at midfield and this isn't an issue.  I know.... If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, it would be Christmas 365 days a year..... lol

Edited by AU9377

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, it would be Christmas 365 days a year..... lol

A wonderful quote and what this forum lives off off many days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Milroe was a high 4 star QB I believe, that out played the other 2 highly rated QB’s.

Ok…? He was a 4-star who was not good enough to not make horrible mistakes that led to the UTexas beatdown just a couple months ago, as well as mind numbing misses and poor decisions during his appearances both last season and earlier this year. It contributed toward his benching versus a hapless South Florida team. Now he’s throwing perfect deep dimes on 4th & Season. Kinda makes my point. It’s like Saban had some sort of witchy ritual where he extracted all of Bryce Young’s ability and slowly injected it into JM over the past 2 months. Regardless of what he or any of Bama’s QBs were ranked, they always have one that is either born great out the womb (Tua/Bryce) or develops into a championship caliber one (Sims/Coker /Jones/Milroe). That was all I was saying.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That is due to what is around the QB.  Generational QBs don't come along often, even at bama or uga.  However, if you give an otherwise talented QB a good OL, quality receivers and a ground game,  his confidence will grow and he often matures to play above his talent level. 

I love Bo Nix and want him to win the Heisman.  That said, he has the same arm he had at Auburn.  One big difference is that he doesn't have to do it all now.  He has a better OL and MUCH better receivers.  His confidence in what he is doing has grown and he is now producing 300 yard games every week.  Dan Lanning knew how talented Bo was when he was at uga.  Kirby Smart spoke about Bo's talent years ago.  We would have beaten uga 3 years ago at Auburn had our receivers been able to catch anything.

You make great points. It is still annoying, but I agree about QBs being able to fulfill potential when given the tools around them to succeed.

Just put myself through the misery of watching the last seconds of the game. Not nearly the same situation, but curious to see how many Bama rushed on those final two plays. They rushed 3 and put pressure on Thorne almost immediately on both plays. They also had linebackers not go back, maybe a spy on the first play.

23 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Ok…? He was a 4-star who was not good enough to not make horrible mistakes that led to the UTexas beatdown just a couple months ago, as well as mind numbing misses and poor decisions during his appearances both last season and earlier this year. It contributed toward his benching versus a hapless South Florida team. Now he’s throwing perfect deep dimes on 4th & Season. Kinda makes my point. It’s like Saban had some sort of witchy ritual where he extracted all of Bryce Young’s ability and slowly injected it into JM over the past 2 months. Regardless of what he or any of Bama’s QBs were ranked, they always have one that is either born great out the womb (Tua/Bryce) or develops into a championship caliber one (Sims/Coker /Jones/Milroe). That was all I was saying.

Bryce maybe (wasn’t great his freshman year (Heisman winner his main target). Tua did not start but did come off the bench and made 1great throw to wide open WR. My point is there is learning curve from HS to SEC and all have had to learn including Milroe. It’s about geythe recruits.

1 hour ago, Zinzan said:

Just put myself through the misery of watching the last seconds of the game. Not nearly the same situation, but curious to see how many Bama rushed on those final two plays. They rushed 3 and put pressure on Thorne almost immediately on both plays. They also had linebackers not go back, maybe a spy on the first play.

Dallas Turner is a legit bull rusher, and he pushed our left tackle around numerous times.   And, he can do it against pretty much any tackle in the league.   We haven't had that in a long time.   The lack of a legit pass rusher makes calling defensive plays so much harder.  Unless Roberts blitzed, we had virtually no chance of getting a QB hit, pressure or a sack.   And we have had that same problem for way too long. 

• Like 3

The more coverage I hear on that last call, and about the loud coverage bust before HT, and the lack of real contain all day, I do think it's going to be hard to run the same defensive staff back. I will definitely give them that your hands really get tied quickly when you don't have an edge rusher that wins his battles (in pass rush) consistently, and your LBs aren't the most talented ever. It could be a chicken or the egg thing 

• Like 1

Defense is the reason we won as many games as we did this year and it is why along with a solid run game that we pushed Ga. And bama to the end.

People mentioned lack of a true edge rusher and only adequate lb play and yet we still fielded a very good defense. 

After the snatching of a sure victory with a mis-guided 2 or 3 man rush allowing the QB to stand until somebody got open, I wanted him gone. Now unless there is a sure fire elite DC I think we should keep him. 

Our real issue was the OC through most of the season.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4

Would people still want the defensive staff gone if DJ James makes the play at the end and we win?  7-5 with a win against bama looks alot better than 6-6.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Would people still want the defensive staff gone if DJ James makes the play at the end and we win?  7-5 with a win against bama looks alot better than 6-6.

Or if Koy catches a punt or simply let it drop, or if DJ doesn't blow the coverage, or if Fairweather catches a ball that went through both hands, or if the Bama kid drops the last pass (I can only remember one game this year where our opponent matched us with or had more drops).

6 hours ago, fishepa said:

Yeah, for the life of me, I don’t understand why DJ didn’t contest that pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 1:54 PM, LPTiger said:

Dallas Turner is a legit bull rusher, and he pushed our left tackle around numerous times.   And, he can do it against pretty much any tackle in the league.   We haven't had that in a long time.   The lack of a legit pass rusher makes calling defensive plays so much harder.  Unless Roberts blitzed, we had virtually no chance of getting a QB hit, pressure or a sack.   And we have had that same problem for way too long. 

I do miss me some Derek Brown.............

• Like 2

18 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yeah, for the life of me, I don’t understand why DJ didn’t contest that pass.

This right here is something that is maddening to me about college football. A multi billion dollar industry that is officiated by amateur officials. In the NFL this is called offensive interference more often than not. 

Several years ago LSU had an All American receiver, Josh Reed, who was a converted running back, that was a master of the push off. I said at the time that he'd never make it in the NFL because he would not get away with it there. Turns out he was pretty much a bust.  Played 8 years, and caught 10 touchdowns, a far cry from his dominating college career. I swear if I'm coaching receivers in college football I'd first, and foremost teach them how to push the defender off to get separation. Until they decide to fix the pathetic officiating you would get away with it 80-90 % of the time. 

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

This right here is something that is maddening to me about college football. A multi billion dollar industry that is officiated by amateur officials. In the NFL this is called offensive interference more often than not. 

Several years ago LSU had an All American receiver, Josh Reed, who was a converted running back, that was a master of the push off. I said at the time that he'd never make it in the NFL because he would not get away with it there. Turns out he was pretty much a bust.  Played 8 years, and caught 10 touchdowns, a far cry from his dominating college career. I swear if I'm coaching receivers in college football I'd first, and foremost teach them how to push the defender off to get separation. Until they decide to fix the pathetic officiating you would get away with it 80-90 % of the time. 

The OPI call is very inconsistent in the college game and the cynical part of me thinks the college refs hold it in their hip pocket as an option.  Case in point was the 2014 MSU game where we were down 2 TDs early and was mounting a comeback.  Nick Marshall hits Sammie Coats on a long pass with a flag attached.  They call OPI and Gus erupts, as well he should have, but to no avail.  We go on to lose that one and it catapults MSU to a short lived #1 in the rankings.

In 1983 Iron Bowl we are cruising to a victory in the 4th qtr 23-20. Around 2+ mins left, on a 4th and 3 we opt for a pass (at 19:50 of the video).  Chris Woods *runs up the back* of a defender and is called for OPI.  At the time that penalty carried a 15 yard penalty and a loss of down.  First down for Bama at our 40 with plenty of time.  That could have been a game changer, we won anyway.  It is a potential game changing call no matter when it is called.

From @StatTiger, thanks.

To your point, I think WRs, as a technique, are taught to push off.  The pass to Bond was no Hail Mary IMO.  The WRs in the middle of the field were all covered and Milroe had time to wait until he saw Bond one on one with our defender.  Bond was going to make that play and knew a push off was not going to be called unless it was egregious.  I hope the refs take a look at OPI for next season.

3 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Couldn't agree more and I will add that the defensive pass interference call drives me crazy too. Defensive backs have their hands on the receivers on almost every play and it just seems to be called randomly. Granted it's a tough call, but damn sometimes the receiver gets mugged and it's not flagged and the next series they call it on not much at all.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, tigeraddikt said:

He made two of the most boneheaded plays of the season in the AU game.   Almost cost them the game.   If not for a complete meltdown of defensive back play 101, AU wins and everyone is ready to run Milroe out of Tuscaloosa.