Will Ron Roberts have a job next year?

shabby

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

6 of 15 for less than 100 yards impressed you? Thorne can be good if he has the talent around him. We currently do not. Not close. It’s early let’s see what QBs go in the portal.

Dude, you have to adjust for the "hit in hands" WR drops which were at least 2 if not several more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Moreso grit and will to win. Nice runs. He can make the right throw here and there. We'll see what's in the portal. I'm not sure I can be anymore apathetic then I am rn.

Apathetic!? Of all the emotional states to be in. How in the world are you apathetic after yesterdays game!?

People overlook the fact that coaching also had us in position to win a game that our current roster, quite frankly, isn't built to win.  Harsin destroyed our roster by way of attrition and a lack of recruiting.  There were times that we looked like a high school team attempting to keep up on the field.  There was no position on the field that bama didn't hold a substantial talent advantage.

• Like 3

Just watched the replay of 4th and 31. I didn't realize watching it live how bad the AU db technique was. It was awful. He never turned and looked for the ball. No idea it was in the air. In that situation u never turn your back to the field.  Maybe it's coaching, (zac Etheridge). In that situation it's just like basic basketball defense... ball. you.man. You simply can't turn your back to the field when u are defending the goal line.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Just watched the replay of 4th and 31. I didn't realize watching it live how bad the AU db technique was. It was awful. He never turned and looked for the ball. No idea it was in the air. In that situation u never turn your back to the field.  Maybe it's coaching, (zac Etheridge). In that situation it's just like basic basketball defense... ball. you.man. You simply can't turn your back to the field when u are defending the goal line.

Here is a view you might not have seen.  At about the 7 second mark our DB starts to turn and look for the ball.  Can you see why it appeared from other views he had his back turned when Bond caught the ball?

On 11/25/2023 at 6:39 PM, passthebiscuits said:

The inability to get off the field in 3rd and long isn’t just a tonight thing. And don’t let me hear talent. We had enough talent to win tonight. And if we had enough to win tonight, we had enough to beat NMSU also. 

Come on now, we have had issues on 3rd and long for a decade or more and with great talent. Kevin Steele's defense gave up 3rd and long to us and many times when he was coaching at Auburn. Alabama, Georgia make 3rd and long at a high percentage. Ole Miss probably has improved that stat with Kiffin. You build a team where your OFFENSE can make 3rd and long.

NMSU game was bad. That is all I got for that. 

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

People overlook the fact that coaching also had us in position to win a game that our current roster, quite frankly, isn't built to win.  Harsin destroyed our roster by way of attrition and a lack of recruiting.  There were times that we looked like a high school team attempting to keep up on the field.  There was no position on the field that bama didn't hold a substantial talent advantage.

This! With Milroe it was damned if you do and damned if you don't. WE DONT TRUST OUR TALENT to make those plays. They trust their talent to make those plays. IF we get the talent, we won't make ridiculous coaching decisions. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here is a view you might not have seen.  At about the 7 second mark our DB starts to turn and look for the ball.  Can you see why it appeared from other views he had his back turned when Bond caught the ball?

I don't see him in the video until the receiver nearly has the ball. If he does turn and look. He would have plenty time to knock the ball down. It's like he didn't even contest the catch. It was actually a fairly easy catch for the receiver

16 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Come on now, we have had issues on 3rd and long for a decade or more and with great talent. Kevin Steele's defense gave up 3rd and long to us and many times when he was coaching at Auburn. Alabama, Georgia make 3rd and long at a high percentage. Ole Miss probably has improved that stat with Kiffin. You build a team where your OFFENSE can make 3rd and long.

NMSU game was bad. That is all I got for that. 

Agreed 

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I don't see him in the video until the receiver nearly has the ball. If he does turn and look. He would have plenty time to knock the ball down. It's like he didn't even contest the catch. It was actually a fairly easy catch for the receiver

Here’s another view from CBS and shows the play from the skycam view:

Milroy, it appears, was going to Bond as the plan.  If you stop the video and go frame by frame at the 14 second mark if appears Bond pushes #4 away (the ball has been released by then) and again at the 16 second mark to assure the catch was not contested.

I’m not defending the defensive call, but I am presenting an explanation why #4 shouldn’t be excoriated for that play.

The offensive foul was not going to be called by the refs, but doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Milroy, it appears, was going to Bond as the plan.  If you stop the video and go frame by frame at the 14 second mark if appears Bond pushes #4 away (the ball has been released by then) and again at the 16 second mark to assure the catch was not contested.

I’m not defending the defensive call, but I am presenting an explanation why #4 shouldn’t be excoriated for that play.

The offensive foul was not going to be called by the refs, but doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Since we all know it was not going to be called…ever, it then becomes extremely important for our db to NOT allow it to happen. That’s where either coaching or execution failed us. 

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Still terrible technique.  Not surprising been happening here for 20 + yrs. That combined with no pass rush is why we give up 3rd and long

Edited by NWALA Tiger

#4 screwed up, but we had 8 players in the end zone. Eight. 

Once again 8.

The problem I have is you only see #4 in the picture. It's easy to blame one player or the coaches, but DBs are taught to play that coverage in HS. And none of them are coached to hang out in the middle of the end zone and watch the play happen near the sideline. 

We'll get better. Hopefully.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Still terrible technique.  Not surprising been happening here for 20 + yrs. That combined with no pass rush is why we give up 3rd and long

Are you suggesting we've been teaching the same technique for 20 + years and all the different coaches in that time period were teaching the same technique?  I'll have to think about that one. 

P.S. There is no defense against a perfectly executed play.

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, creed said:

Are you suggesting we've been teaching the same technique for 20 + years and all the different coaches in that time period were teaching the same technique?  I'll have to think about that one. 

I'm suggesting I've seen AU db's not look back for the ball on a consistent basis. IMO, there is no play call for 4th and 31 unless the defense helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Talent discrepancy, perfectly-timed slight WR push off, QB throwing a perfect ball, receiver that no one had ever heard of not stone-handing the pass, our DB looking at the receiver instead of the LOS at the wrong 2-second window during active coverage, the QB standing like a museum statue for 10 seconds, all played a part in the horror show. It all boils down to Bama making a 1:500 play when they had to. We made our 1:1000 play in 2013. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Apathetic!? Of all the emotional states to be in. How in the world are you apathetic after yesterdays game!?

That was JABA to the utmost degree and we knew it was gonna happen but was hoping the "football gods" would pardon us that one time. Almost feels like it will always be apart of this program. I'm still hopeful for next season because recruiting is on the up though.

Defensive coordinator Ron Robertswas asked postgame about the play and this is how he described his thought process.

“They had eight plays inside the 20. It came down to those last two. Last play of the game, they have to get to the goal line, so we played trail man and three on the goal line knowing the shot has to go to the end zone,” Roberts said. “Any vertical route we have help from the safeties in the end zone. We practice it, that’s what you do in last play of the ballgame from (the 31) and they have to score. The kid just did a good job of holding the football and waiting, waiting.”

Roberts added, “that’s a hard one. It was tremendous effort for four quarters. We just have to find ways to get it done at the end of the ballgame. I thought our guys played exceptionally hard in an emotional ballgame. It’s a tough one for them to swallow.”

link

@bigbird thoughts?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Defensive coordinator Ron Robertswas asked postgame about the play and this is how he described his thought process.

“They had eight plays inside the 20. It came down to those last two. Last play of the game, they have to get to the goal line, so we played trail man and three on the goal line knowing the shot has to go to the end zone,” Roberts said. “Any vertical route we have help from the safeties in the end zone. We practice it, that’s what you do in last play of the ballgame from (the 31) and they have to score. The kid just did a good job of holding the football and waiting, waiting.”

Roberts added, “that’s a hard one. It was tremendous effort for four quarters. We just have to find ways to get it done at the end of the ballgame. I thought our guys played exceptionally hard in an emotional ballgame. It’s a tough one for them to swallow.”

link

@bigbird thoughts?

The coverage was correct, the execution was not.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think it was Jaylin who stated postgame that they were trying to play deeper than the receiver with eyes on both the receiver and qb. Just fundamental hail Mary stuff and quite obvious at least a couple guys failed to execute. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

The coverage was correct, the execution was not.  

Bird, you may already have gave your response, but what would you have done, without know the outcome?

6 minutes ago, creed said:

Bird, you may already have gave your response, but what would you have done, without know the outcome?

I would've had press man on each receiver with a four on the 10 at the #'s and Hash to bracket and carry them into the EZ. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, creed said:

In that situation.  DBS should never turn their back to the field. Ever

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

In that situation.  DBS should never turn their back to the field. Ever

Correct. Face the QB until he throws the ball, and then everyone flows to where the ball is thrown. By the time the ball arrives, you have a cluster of players jumping up to knock the ball down.

I think the biggest issue is just the lack of a pass rush.  If you get him running out of the pocket or in any distress at all it's much more difficult to make the perfect throw, which he did.  

• Like 2