Will Ron Roberts have a job next year?

shabby

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

I think it was Jaylin who stated postgame that they were trying to play deeper than the receiver with eyes on both the receiver and qb. Just fundamental hail Mary stuff and quite obvious at least a couple guys failed to execute. 

The three in the middle of the end zone must have been looking for the QB scramble. If you are protecting from WR catches should be evenly distributed across the EZ so you have time to react to throw.

42 minutes ago, Shadow Tiger said:

Correct. Face the QB until he throws the ball, and then everyone flows to where the ball is thrown. By the time the ball arrives, you have a cluster of players jumping up to knock the ball down.

Exactly. Terrible technique,  esp after 2 time outs called

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Come on now, we have had issues on 3rd and long for a decade or more and with great talent. Kevin Steele's defense gave up 3rd and long to us and many times when he was coaching at Auburn. Alabama, Georgia make 3rd and long at a high percentage. Ole Miss probably has improved that stat with Kiffin. You build a team where your OFFENSE can make 3rd and long.

NMSU game was bad. That is all I got for that. 

I don’t disagree. It’s a collected failure. Let’s get the talent right and see if coaching improves. Or i dunno do both. 

• Like 1

What end of season big game did Steele (I think) rush at least 8 and literally overwhelm the quarterback?

Son and I remember the play but that’s all.

I just knew we were going to blitz Saturday, until we didn’t. It was 7 seconds, but milroe wasn’t being pressured at 7, he could’ve gone 30 seconds.

Millroe had no pressure, and no one with hands up in front of him, so he was able to plant and had perfect vision to his target. That said, it was a helluva throw into one square yard of the corner of the end-zone.

And still, he threw it up just hoping it works. The receiver made a great play to turn and find the ball, stop to slow the defender, and then just slightly (but effectively) push off to give himself the room to make the catch uncontested.

I'm not crazy about the defensive strategy on that play. Rushing two was so ineffective, we might as well have not rushed anyone.

Edit: No, I'm not calling for Ron Roberts head. I bet he doesn't call that defense again, even if he says it was the right call.

Edited by Zinzan
  • Like 1

Just now, Zinzan said:

Millroe had no pressure, and no one with hands up in front of him, so he was able to plant and had perfect vision to his target. That said, it was a helluva throw into one square yard of the corner of the endzone.

And still, he threw it up just hoping it works. The receiver made a great play to turn and find the ball, stop to slow the defender, and then just slightly (but effectively) push off to give himself the room to make the catch uncontested.

I'm not crazy about the defensive strategy on that play. Rushing two was so ineffective, we might as well have not rushed anyone.

The most egregious thing to me was the spy. Might as well have rushed 3. Still probably wouldn't have worked but that guy was just... standing there. The guy has to go 31 yards, I bet some of the defense would have been able to make it to tackle.  

Called a timeout just to come up with that plan. Really could have used that one. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

The most egregious thing to me was the spy. Might as well have rushed 3.

I agree. In that situation, I would want the QB to run, not have a spy trying to keep him in the pocket. I would have preferred to have 3 rushing and basically give him a running lane to one side to try and goad him into running. If he takes the bait then the 8 guys in the end zone close in and make the tackle. If he is able to outmaneuver 8 guys and get to the end zone, then so be it, but giving him all day to wait for a receiver to get open and then have no pass rush to disrupt his throw made no sense. Seems like the worst of all options.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BUZZard said:

What end of season big game did Steele (I think) rush at least 8 and literally overwhelm the quarterback?

Son and I remember the play but that’s all.

I just knew we were going to blitz Saturday, until we didn’t. It was 7 seconds, but milroe wasn’t being pressured at 7, he could’ve gone 30 seconds.

Steele did that vs Washington and Jake Locker in a season opener a few years ago. FWIW it worked, largely because guys like Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson, and Nick Coe were upfront. 

6 hours ago, creed said:

Are you suggesting we've been teaching the same technique for 20 + years and all the different coaches in that time period were teaching the same technique?

Weird, right? 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Weird, right? 

U don't agree that our DBs haven't been turning their head around on coverage? I mean there is always exceptions.  Don't know that it's been taught correctly on a consistent basis since Carlos Roger's days. Or maybe it is taught and not done in the game. If that's the case it's an even worse problem 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

U don't agree that our DBs haven't been turning their head around on coverage? I mean there is always exceptions.  Don't know that it's been taught correctly on a consistent basis since Carlos Roger's days. Or maybe it is taught and not done in the game. If that's the case it's an even worse problem 

It's not as simple or black and white as just turning your head.  For example, On the 4 and 31, DJ turned and looked, was immediately pushed off of, and couldn't recover.

There is a time and place for turning your head as a DB. Do it at the wrong time in the wrong technique or in wrong coverage and you're on the jumbotron giving up 6.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My uneducated perspective is that it was significantly-better at least the 1st half of this season. Probably just a function of the personnel who chose to *try*  and not across the board. That, specifically, has been atrocious for the last many years, with tons of DPI to show for it.

2 hours ago, Zinzan said:

Millroe had no pressure, and no one with hands up in front of him, so he was able to plant and had perfect vision to his target. That said, it was a helluva throw into one square yard of the corner of the end-zone.

Edit: No, I'm not calling for Ron Roberts head. I bet he doesn't call that defense again, even if he says it was the right call.

It was both quite different and yet oddly identical re: result/situation/ball placement as Auburn/UGA 2002.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 6:23 PM, TeamZero77 said:

If not for Ron Roberts defense, we would've went 3-9 this year probably.

Yeah the ending sucks but his defense did ALOT more to help us this year than Montgomery/Freeze offense did.

This team is just a middle of the pack team just like we've been for what seems like forever. 

I posted this in another thread, it needs repeating IMHO. 

In the last 15 yrs Auburn is a combined 12-34 over LSU/UGA/UA in 46 games for a 26% winning percentage vs our 3 main rivals and that's during our hay-day of '10/'13 w/Cam & Nick. 

It's hard to grasp just how far this program has fallen into irrelevance.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's not as simple or black and white as just turning your head.  For example, On the 4 and 31, DJ turned and looked, was immediately pushed off of, and couldn't recover.

There is a time and place for turning your head as a DB. Do it at the wrong time in the wrong technique or in wrong coverage and you're on the jumbotron giving up 6.

DJ turned and looked at the last second or two. That is way too late. He lost track of the receiver and the ball and never regained the position behind the receiver that he should have maintained. He got pushed off because the receiver was BEHIND him.  On this type of play you cannot allow that to happen. And yes our db force over the years has with very few exceptions failed to turn and find the ball consistently. Has been that way  for many years and I have wondered why. So many balls whistling by the earhole into the hands of a receiver. You find the ball you get picks and pbus. You don't and THAT is when you end up on the jumbotron. 

3 hours ago, nurbis said:

I agree. In that situation, I would want the QB to run, not have a spy trying to keep him in the pocket. I would have preferred to have 3 rushing and basically give him a running lane to one side to try and goad him into running. If he takes the bait then the 8 guys in the end zone close in and make the tackle. If he is able to outmaneuver 8 guys and get to the end zone, then so be it, but giving him all day to wait for a receiver to get open and then have no pass rush to disrupt his throw made no sense. Seems like the worst of all options.

I’ve having similar thoughts about baiting Milroe to run.  If he’s contained to one side of the field chances are much better that he could be stopped.  

53 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

DJ turned and looked at the last second or two. That is way too late. He lost track of the receiver and the ball and never regained the position behind the receiver that he should have maintained. He got pushed off because the receiver was BEHIND him.  On this type of play you cannot allow that to happen. And yes our db force over the years has with very few exceptions failed to turn and find the ball consistently. Has been that way  for many years and I have wondered why. So many balls whistling by the earhole into the hands of a receiver. You find the ball you get picks and pbus. You don't and THAT is when you end up on the jumbotron. 

There's a lot wrong with this on a technical standpoint. 

This is more of a different topic, but it is supremely annoying how just because Jalen Milroe is a Bama QB, he develops into a better-than-Jalen Hurts QB in about a month’s time. We languish with QBs that regress or never live up to their hype, while Bama wins with both elite QBs and backwash QBs like Coker, Blake Sims, Jalen Milroe. It’s just immensely frustrating. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That's my point he shouldn't have ever had his back to the QB and he wouldn't have had to turn

13 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

This is more of a different topic, but it is supremely annoying how just because Jalen Milroe is a Bama QB, he develops into a better-than-Jalen Hurts QB in about a month’s time. We languish with QBs that regress or never live up to their hype, while Bama wins with both elite QBs and backwash QBs like Coker, Blake Sims, Jalen Milroe. It’s just immensely frustrating. 

And that's what happens when your 2 deep is 4 and 5 stars with half being future nfl players

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

This has a lot to do with the OL play. Their OL struggled early on but has really come on the last five games. Consequently, that is when Milroe started to get better.

14 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Milroe was a high 4 star QB I believe, that out played the other 2 highly rated QB’s.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:19 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

I don't see him in the video until the receiver nearly has the ball. If he does turn and look. He would have plenty time to knock the ball down. It's like he didn't even contest the catch. It was actually a fairly easy catch for the receiver

And if you can't get to the ball....... knock the receiver down or out of bounds and take the 15 yard penalty from the 31.  You at least give yourself a chance that way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

That is due to what is around the QB.  Generational QBs don't come along often, even at bama or uga.  However, if you give an otherwise talented QB a good OL, quality receivers and a ground game,  his confidence will grow and he often matures to play above his talent level. 

I love Bo Nix and want him to win the Heisman.  That said, he has the same arm he had at Auburn.  One big difference is that he doesn't have to do it all now.  He has a better OL and MUCH better receivers.  His confidence in what he is doing has grown and he is now producing 300 yard games every week.  Dan Lanning knew how talented Bo was when he was at uga.  Kirby Smart spoke about Bo's talent years ago.  We would have beaten uga 3 years ago at Auburn had our receivers been able to catch anything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

And if you can't get to the ball....... knock the receiver down or out of bounds and take the 15 yard penalty from the 31.  You at least give yourself a chance that way.

Since it would happen in the end zone, I believe, the ball would be placed on the 2 yard line with a first down.  They would have 32 seconds and as many plays as they could fit in those 32 seconds to win the game.

Six of one or a half dozen of another.