Will Ron Roberts have a job next year?

shabby

11 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Freeze said he thought this was the right call but maybe he’s just backing up his coaches. Interesting to see how this plays out in the future. But at the same time if you go prevent I always say you deserve to get beat. And I’ve seen it twice this year .

Freeze saying he had no problem with the call to rush 2 guys, tells me all I need to know. I would take the guy coaching Missouri in a heartbeat over Freeze right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, shabby said:

Lord i hope not. 2 man rush. He is the reason we lost this game. Ridiculous

We rushed 4 and 5 all night and couldn’t get there. Our lack of athleticism and speed on the D line and LB is the worst I’ve seen since the late 70s. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

We rushed 4 and 5 all night and couldn’t get there. Our lack of athleticism and speed on the D line and LB is the worst I’ve seen since the late 70s. 

Been that way all yr cept for Arky. 

14 hours ago, shabby said:

Lot of emotion last night. Understandable. Then reality hits:

• Ron did not bust a coverage and allow a receiver to run past him at the close of the 2nd quarter. 
  • Ron didn't muff the punt.
  • Ron didn't allow a receiver to get behind him on a hail Mary.

Those three plays cost us 14 points and this game. I feel sad for the two young men that committed the errors. I know Ron does as well.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Ron didn't allow a receiver to get behind him on a hail Mary.

What does this look like to you?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

What does this look like to you?

Just what I said. A db with the cardinal sin of allowing a receiver to get behind you on a hail Mary. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Just what I said. A db with the cardinal sin of allowing a receiver to get behind you on a hail Mary. 

Looks like offensive pass interference to me, but I knew it wouldn’t be called.

• Like 2

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Looks like offensive pass interference to me, but I knew it wouldn’t be called.

Slight push at minimum for sure, but db has to be behind not in front. 

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Slight push at minimum for sure, but db has to be behind not in front. 

A slight push that caused separation between the receiver and our guy.  There was a reason the pass wasn’t contested by our guy, he couldn’t get there because of that slight push.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

A slight push that caused separation between the receiver and our guy.  There was a reason the pass wasn’t contested by our guy, he couldn’t get there because of that slight push.

I won't argue that, but the db played it wrong allowing that contact. That is not how you play a hail Mary. You keep the guy in front of you. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shabby said:

The defense has been Auburn's strong point all year. I for one hope Roberts is our DC next season. One unlikely play aside, Roberts has gotten a lot of good out of a team that isn't loaded with super stars.

• Like 5

Every eligible receiver was in the end zone. There was zero excuse for any bammer catching the pass. Hell, as long as the ball was in the air, my old ass could have caught up to it. 

Just a really poor play by #4. It wasn't his first of the game. He also caught a couple of PI breaks earlier. Upgrade that corner position. And fast.

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The defense has been Auburn's strong point all year. I for one hope Roberts is our DC next season. One unlikely play aside, Roberts has gotten a lot of good out of a team that isn't loaded with super stars.

He is a little too bendy no breakey for my taste. And im not sure a 50th ranked defensive squad qualifies as getting a lot of good.  Maybe getting a lot of mediocre. Rage aside he will be back next year with more talent so lets see what he does with it. But if he cant generate any pressure on qbs next year will be another long year

Edited by shabby

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Agree, besides this horrible disastrous 2 man rush call and the debacles against LSU and NMST, the D was pretty solid the rest of the year.

I still think he should forfeit 1/13 of his salary for this unforgivable screw up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, shabby said:

This is hysterical. There are a lot of reasons   Auburn lost the game. I am pretty sure they were instructed to not let anyone behind them, keep your positioning so you have vision and can come up and make a play. Also, don’t get lost on the play - which should be hard when you basically standing on the end zone with 8 of your friends. This was a lack of execution pure and simple for one of the top DBs. 

And this is from someone that is not a fan of the 32 Crew. 

Just now, AU120289 said:

This is hysterical. There are a lot of reasons   Auburn lost the game. I am pretty sure they were instructed to not let anyone behind them, keep your positioning so you have vision and can come up and make a play. Also, don’t get lost on the play - which should be hard when you basically standing on the end zone with 8 of your friends. This was a lack of execution pure and simple for one of the top DBs. 

And this is from someone that is not a fan of the 32 Crew. 

And how do you maintain coverage for the 20 seconds that Milroe had to throw the ball. He was given time to wait for coverGe yo break down and the longer the play went on the more oppprtunity for a defensive penalty to extend the drive. Have you ever seen a 2 person rush in a situation similar? I havent

18 hours ago, japantiger said:

This is on the head coach.  Bad decision...but he's a bad hire somim not surprised 

Way to early to outright call him a bad hire. For starters, on paper, he was a fantastic hire. He’s built 3 programs up from nothing and has generally had balanced success on offense and defense at those schools. 

But also, the jury is still out on Freeze. Is there reason to be concerned? Sure.  I am. And I’ve been vocal about it since last night. But outright calling him a bad hire? Come on man. That’s just way too preemptive. 

Having had more time to rewatch the game and reconsider the season, I don’t know how I feel about him. He kept us in games for at least half the season while our offense was completely inept. Generally, his defense has worked. I certainly love the aggressive attacking nature of his defense. But there’s been a glaring problem all season long, and it manifested multiple times last night, including the final touchdown play. Long conversion plays… We’ve been bad at them all season. It’s great if we can shut down teams for 2 downs. But it actually is worse if they continually convert 3rd and longs after that because it means our defense is playing a lot of snaps, the fans are going to have to yell for longer (and are more likely to fatigue), and everyone gets demoralized by a conversion like that.  If he’s retained, it better be with the understanding that he is to rework his approach to 3rd and long scenarios. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shabby said:

Football is a team sport first and foremost. If you are going to put blame in someone there is plenty to go around brother.  Rivaldo dropping 2 passes could have changed the outcome. Not blowing a coverage for an easy TD pass would have changed the outcome.  Var dropping a pass in the EZ could have changed the outcome. Any of the missed tackles throughout the game on Milroe could have changed the outcome. Not fumbling the punt and better yet....NOT EVEN FIELDING IT would have changed the outcome. There is plenty to blame. The loss is on the team. 

The call was not a bad call. 99% of the time with same scenario the call works....but it shouldn't have even came to that. If he had rushed 4 or 5 and didn't get home and Milroe made the play then everyone would be saying he should have dropped 8 in coverage. Hindsight and all, right!

To say that RR needs firing when he was probably did the most impressive job this season with what he had to work with is just crazy to me. Even if you want t blame that loss on him based on 1 play....still crazy to fire him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

If he’s retained, it better be with the understanding that he is to rework his approach to 3rd and long scenarios. 

I agree with you overall, but don’t you feel like 3d and long defense becomes easier when you have Derrick Brown/Marlon Davidson/Zacoby McClain/Colby Wooden type players vs what we have now? Last night and last week it was glaring how slow and un-athletic we are in the front 7. Worst I can remember in years. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Having had more time to rewatch the game and reconsider the season, I don’t know how I feel about him. He kept us in games for at least half the season while our offense was completely inept. Generally, his defense has worked. I certainly love the aggressive attacking nature of his defense. But there’s been a glaring problem all season long, and it manifested multiple times last night, including the final touchdown play. Long conversion plays… We’ve been bad at them all season. It’s great if we can shut down teams for 2 downs. But it actually is worse if they continually convert 3rd and longs after that because it means our defense is playing a lot of snaps, the fans are going to have to yell for longer (and are more likely to fatigue), and everyone gets demoralized by a conversion like that.  If he’s retained, it better be with the understanding that he is to rework his approach to 3rd and long scenarios. 

You have some valid points in here. I think that has more to do with the horses he is working with than his actual coaching ability or scheme though.  

It's no secret that we do not have a very good front 7 (especially DL). I think if RR was here when we had DB and MD and those types on the roster he would have been named DC of the year. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with you overall, but don’t you feel like 3d and long defense becomes easier when you have Derrick Brown/Marlon Davidson/Zacoby McClain/Colby Wooden type players vs what we have now? Last night and last week it was glaring how slow and un-athletic we are in the front 7. Worst I can remember in years. 

Literally just said this same thing 5 seconds after you!!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shabby said:

And how do you maintain coverage for the 20 seconds that Milroe had to throw the ball. He was given time to wait for coverGe yo break down and the longer the play went on the more oppprtunity for a defensive penalty to extend the drive. Have you ever seen a 2 person rush in a situation similar? I havent

He did just fine avoiding them and having all day, when we rushed four. It was a busted play. We had 9 guys in the end zone. 

Other moments: 

1) QB rotation killing rhythm stalling offense during 2nd half - Coaching
2) Putting JH back in when clearly half speed when DA was working it -Coaching
3) #6 dropping the touchdown having us settle for a FG - execution. Up by 4 instead of 7. 
4) Dropped punt - execution 
5) Blow coverage in first half for a TD strike after going up by 4 - execution 

I am sure others can add their thoughts. 

• Like 1