Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

1 minute ago, e808 said:

That’s a big negative on PT throwing more in the iron bowl . Maybe we were watching a different game but for the most part his passes were way off. He made a few good passes but it was the running game that moved the ball. U could even argue that instead of throwing to JJ in the end zone just keep pounding the ball against Bama. 

You go with the best percentage which is PT's passing.  Do less, you get less.  Let our rbs do the running, not PT.

2 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

You go with the best percentage which is PT's passing.  Do less, you get less.  Let our rbs do the running, not PT.

Offensively in the iron bowl the run was more effective than Thorne passing but what do I know.

Just now, e808 said:

Offensively in the iron bowl the run was more effective than Thorne passing but what do I know.

That's because the OC refused to throw the ball.  The only team to beat UA was Texas and they threw for 63%.  

You have to go with percentages.  With Thorne it is passing........not running for a measly 57 yards.

4 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

I hope he gets some work during bowl practice. At least to see where he is at.

This video from  3+ months ago  on OTV podcast  with Jason Campbell,  Brown said he is up to 210.   Concentrating on good weight.  (@ 5:42 in vid)

27 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol.  It's funny how you try to be this innocent guy, when you are so full of it.  You are no different than any other poster.  Did I lie? Tell me where I lied? See? I can do that to, just ignore what you say and demand an answer to my points

Yeah. We are all against you. It must be an exhausting life. 

I never said you were wrong. I just added that it takes both to be successful. 

Again. Did I lie?

I’ll answer.

No. I did not lie: And neither did you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Show me the wr with more than ten drops this season.....I can show you ten bad throws maybe in one game definitely two.  It's absurd to try to say wr is holding him back.... one thing about it when you guys like a qb It's anybody but his fault.  Let's pretend it was tj..... then we could say we need talent at qb

I definitely don’t agree that we don’t need better wr’s, but I do agree we need a better QB. I don’t think either are sec caliber.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

That's because the OC refused to throw the ball.  The only team to beat UA was Texas and they threw for 63%.  

You have to go with percentages.  With Thorne it is passing........not running for a measly 57 yards.

Respectfully PT isn’t Ewers. PT hasn’t beat a good team all year throwing so he was expected to start against Bama. His TD to turnover ratio isn’t great so there is also the high probability of a turnover 

• Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I definitely don’t agree that we don’t need better wr’s, but I do agree we need a better QB. I don’t think either are sec caliber.

Both of these things can be true. But I do think there are more options out there at WR than there are at QB.

Maybe we get both.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

To me when people argue things like that, there is personal agenda involved. There is no logical reason to argue we need to get better at every other position but remain content with the QB play we saw last year which also impacted the offense. 

I think we've forgotten how it feels to have a difference-maker at QB. Or maybe we been too traumatized when it comes to the QB position. I'm willing to keep "shooting" until we get one that is a difference-maker. 

An upgrade at QB upgrades the team as a whole. I wish we could bring in 2 QBs but not likely. Nothing I saw makes me think even with upgrades at other positions we are a 9 or 10 win team with the QBs we currently have. I'm not settling for mediocrity. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, gman87 said:

Or maybe they're saying upgrade OL and WR and the QB will play better by default

Or we can upgrade all three and the whole team plays better.

WHOA WHAT A CONCEPT. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's funny the ol cliche arguments... he'll play better with better players..... you think? What position wouldn't? But if the qb the most important position shouldn't you need that position to be the best? 

It's the same ol gus argument lose to the teams with a pulse but look good against the arky, and Mississippi schools and you are constantly improving!

He just needs an all SEC line and all SEC WRs and all SEC rbs then he will play better.  Wow! Let’s just go out and get that. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Yeah. We are all against you. It must be an exhausting life. 

I never said you were wrong. I just added that it takes both to be successful. 

Again. Did I lie?

I’ll answer.

No. I did not lie: And neither did you. 

One thing that's for sure is I don't need anybody to speak for me and if I did we both know I wouldn't pick you so you can stop the putting words in my mouth,  what I have pointed out is the qb is the most important position, the qb has made more mistakes than the wrs, so this isn't a 1:1 situation at all.  If you had to upgrade it's easy to see what should be first.  The point of the convo is when those of us that see that speak on it you have someone like yourself arguing over nothing and intersecting things like a wr is supposed to catch just to argue. 

I said a qb is supposed to be good at throwing a ball because people are arguing he's good because he moved the ball with a few runs the last game we played and ignore how he played throwing the ball,  now what was your reason to interject if it wasn't just to argue with me? Which now you are saying you didn't even disagree?

I’m not trying to defend Thorne and his performances.    But let me ask this question, how many of us would feel good about our own performance and abilities, if we were being substituted like he was the first 6 games of the year?   I think everyone that has ever played would not have been as confident in our own abilities with the way the QB position was handled in the first half of the year.  

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

He just needs an all SEC line and all SEC WRs and all SEC rbs then he will play better.  Wow! Let’s just go out and get that. 

Just arguing over nothing..... or maybe just arguing because they don't like anybody criticizing a qb THEY like.  It's fine to criticize someone they don't

Just now, cole256 said:

One thing that's for sure is I don't need anybody to speak for me and if I did we both know I wouldn't pick you so you can stop the putting words in my mouth,  what I have pointed out is the qb is the most important position, the qb has made more mistakes than the wrs, so this isn't a 1:1 situation at all.  If you had to upgrade it's easy to see what should be first.  The point of the convo is when those of us that see that speak on it you have someone like yourself arguing over nothing and intersecting things like a wr is supposed to catch just to argue. 

I said a qb is supposed to be good at throwing a ball because people are arguing he's good because he moved the ball with a few runs the last game we played and ignore how he played throwing the ball,  now what was your reason to interject if it wasn't just to argue with me? Which now you are saying you didn't even disagree?

Like I said, I don’t know if some these QBs remind these posters of their family members or themselves growing up but the projection is hard. Like some of the fantasy narratives people make up as to why we can’t get another QB “oh but we have infinite resources and money take make up for it by getting all the other pieces.”

The assumption that these several young WRs are just going to come in and ball out. It’s ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not trying to defend Thorne and his performances.    But let me ask this question, how many of us would feel good about our own performance and abilities, if we were being substituted like he was the first 6 games of the year?   I think everyone that has ever played would not have been as confident in our own abilities with the way the QB position was handled in the first half of the year.  

He was substituted for a reason.  He had the weakest qb room in the country to compete against and he wasn't head and shoulders better than any.  Then when he did play he didn't play well. 

Question you think the few games he played well had to do with substitutions or talent level of playing a suck team

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, e808 said:

Respectfully PT isn’t Ewers. PT hasn’t beat a good team all year throwing so he was expected to start against Bama. His TD to turnover ratio isn’t great so there is also the high probability of a turnover 

And Ewers isn't Payton Thorne.  Ewers had the ONE season of 2,177 yds last year, but UT, in spite of Ewers passing for only 58.1% last year, persisted with him.  PT had an average of 3,000 yds for TWO seasons and a completion average of 61.4%, but Montgomery chose to not persist with PT's best asset, which is passing.  You go with PT's percentage of success which is passing, not with his low percentage of running.  

Besides, what did passing 150 fewer times this season and running twice as much this season get AU ?  Only 2,191 yds total offense from PT at AU compared with 3,111 at MSU.  That's 900 yards of lost proven production.  The problem hasn't been with PT, it's with Montgomery who is thinking short term.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

He was substituted for a reason.  He had the weakest qb room in the country to compete against and he wasn't head and shoulders better than any.  Then when he did play he didn't play well. 

Question you think the few games he played well had to do with substitutions or talent level of playing a suck team

I wasn’t defending the guy.  I’m all for going and trying to get a better Quarterback.   If it comes down to paying someone so much that other positions can’t be addressed, I would rather get a few guys that will turn the defense into a top SEC defense.   
Right now without seeing who is leaving for NFL, I believe Alabama, Georgia are losses next year no matter who they get at QB.   
To follow up with the QB thing this year, I also think that the coaches didn’t want to upset the locker room and went with the the 2 QB rotation.   That’s just my opinion 

5 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

And Ewers isn't Payton Thorne.  Ewers had the ONE season of 2,177 yds last year, but UT, in spite of Ewers passing for only 58.1% last year, persisted with him.  PT had an average of 3,000 yds for TWO seasons and a completion average of 61.4%, but Montgomery chose to not persist with PT's best asset, which is passing.  You go with PT's percentage of success which is passing, not with his low percentage of running.  

Besides, what did passing 150 fewer times this season and running twice as much this season get AU ?  Only 2,191 yds total offense from PT at AU compared with 3,111 at MSU.  That's 900 yards of lost proven production.  The problem hasn't been with PT, it's with Montgomery who is thinking short term.

Ewers was a freshman last year who also was injured and u trying to put PT in the same class. We have nothing else to talk about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I hated the rotating QBs. But yet and still even with the opportunities presented to PT it was nothing I saw that makes me believe we beat the likes of LSU, UGA, Bama or even Mizzou with him. That's essentially what it comes down to. 

We're willing to upgrade at every position but QB. That just doesn't make sense to me. He provided what we needed for this year. We should be aiming for better talent every year and in each position. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I hated the rotating QBs. But yet and still even with the opportunities presented to PT it was nothing I saw that makes me believe we beat the likes of LSU, UGA, Bama or even Mizzou with him. That's essentially what it comes down to. 

We're willing to upgrade at every position but QB. That just doesn't make sense to me. He provided what we needed for this year. We should be aiming for better talent every year and in each position. 

I get what you are saying but I’m not the one with the money.   What if there is only a certain amount?   Why is no one thinking of this?  Everyone loves too spend other peoples money.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

We definitely need to get a playmaker and leader at qb. Nobody wins anything big in spite of their qb. 

If your qb needs all sec players all around him to be good he's not a great qb. For whatever reason it seems Auburn fans think the team carries the qb as opposed to a qb being so good he makes everybody Around him better.... now I guess we're trying to make this guy good for whatever reason. 

In regards to the bolded, I wouldn't even say that someone like that is even a good quarterback because what happens when he plays a defense that is just as talented as / more than his offense? They'd struggle like Thorne did against Ohio State and Michigan in 2022. 

i got popcorn and gummys if anyone wants to come over. bring your own beer.