Saban retiring

5 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Lanning has declared he will only leave Eugene in a pine box.

Phil Knight must have just added more Nike stock to L's retirement plan

23 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Maybe its just me, but I dont get all the Lanning love.  He's done well, but not THAT well.  

I'm with you, everyone is fawning over Lanning and he may be the next best thing but we will see. He really doesn't have any long term success, 2 seasons with a lot of pieces already in place, long term who knows...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Maybe, maybe not, but for years I have asked every bammer I've talked to who would replace NS and the answer has always been DS.  When asked if they would consider someone else, they all said no.  That's only a few dozen people though.

My best bammer bud loathes Dabo…as much as Peyton Manning. I’ve of course taken great joy ribbing him with Dabo predictions the last 24 hours.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Maybe, maybe not, but for years I have asked every bammer I've talked to who would replace NS and the answer has always been DS.  When asked if they would consider someone else, they all said no.  That's only a few dozen people though.

A very good REC friend of mine says that DS is disliked too much these days, so he doesn't think it would be him.

He was looked at as heir apparent a few years ago. But then they had 3 consecutive 3+ loss seasons in a conference that is already weaker. On top of that, he’s refused to use the transfer portal, which you have to be willing to do now to be successful.  A lot of folks have changed their minds on Dabo as a result. Again, not saying it won’t be him. But Bama missed on some targets if Dabo ends up being the hire.

Edited by ScotsAU

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

My best bammer bud loathes Dabo…as much as Peyton Manning. I’ve of course taken great joy ribbing him with Dabo predictions the last 24 hours.

Why does he despise DS ?

For fun I think I will start a poll for who everyone thinks or wishes bama coach pick, so help me come up with a complete list of possible canidates, here is who I have:

Kirby, dabo, sark, lanning, norvell, muschamp, Kalen DeBoer, Kitten, Mike Vrabel, DeMeco Ryans...who else have I missed, I could add Deion but really do not think he would be an option...

I’ve got it… a coach with a lot of SEC experience. He’s a former Saban assistant. And they only have to travel to Georgia to get him…

Will Muschamp!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

He was looked at as heir apparent a few years ago. But then they had 3 consecutive 3+ loss seasons in a conference that is already weaker. A lot of folks have changed their minds.

I just don't think that PBB, Jr. is going to let those who have a personal dislike for DS dissuade him from the hire.  DS is a proven winner and PBB, Jr. will be sober minded.

1 minute ago, bishoptf said:

For fun I think I will start a poll for who everyone thinks or wishes bama coach pick, so help me come up with a complete list of possible canidates, here is who I have:

Kirby, dabo, sark, lanning, norvell, muschamp, Kalen DeBoer, Kitten, Mike Vrabel, DeMeco Ryans...who else have I missed, I could add Deion but really do not think he would be an option...

Add Deion. Add Pete Carroll. Add Rivera. For the halibut, add Bilicheck.  Mike Bobo maybe?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Why does he despise DS ?

Because he’s a disingenuous goober.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Kirby, dabo, sark, lanning, norvell, muschamp, Kalen DeBoer, Kitten, Mike Vrabel, DeMeco Ryans

Kirby - 0% - not leaving a recruiting machine and alma mater

Dabo - failsafe if everyone they offer passes i.e. Harsin. If Norvell says no thanks or FSU redoes his contract, Dabo becomes target #1

Sark - 0% - not leaving a recruiting machine - Texa$ has $ galore to counter with

Lanning - already said no

Norvell - IMO, their current #1 target

Muschamp - seriously?

DeBoer - great choice, but like Harsin, zero knowledge of the SE

Kiffin - I’m sure he would take it if offered. I’ll place him at 5%

Vrabel - 0% - has never recruited - he’s Patriots bound

Ryans - a very real possibility IF they lose Saturday combined with Norvell & Dabo saying no thanks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

At least they recognize their own

He’s a very realistic bammer. A rare bird I know.  

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

Kirby - 0% - not leaving a recruiting machine and alma mater

Dabo - failsafe if everyone they offer passes i.e. Harsin. If Norvell says no thanks or FSU redoes his contract, Dabo becomes target #1

Sark - 0% - not leaving a recruiting machine - Texa$ has $ galore to counter with

Lanning - already said no

Norvell - IMO, their current #1 target

Muschamp - seriously?

DeBoer - great choice, but like Harsin, zero knowledge of the SE

Kiffin - I’m sure he would take it if offered. I’ll place him at 5%

Vrabel - 0% - has never recruited - he’s Patriots bound

Ryans - a very real possibility IF they lose Saturday combined with Norvell & Dabo saying no thanks

Norvell on paper seems like the best option. But I just don’t see the fit. Could you ever see a guy like Gus or Hugh at Bama? Norvell is a similar type coach. Tends to be more buddy buddy with players. Offensively oriented and tends to stay out of the defense. Seems like an anti-Saban. It would certainly be a rough transition from how Saban managed things to how Norvell would.

Edited by ScotsAU

1 minute ago, Viper said:

tenor.gif

Didn’t say it would be a good hire. But someone else listed Muschamp. So… Just listing names that someone else might pick. I don’t realistically see him getting the job. But I think he’s worth including in the poll.

Edited by ScotsAU

They'll end up with Petrino

He's the Bama version of Hugh Freeze. Seems like the type of fella that wouldnt mind being the sacrificial lamb on the heals of Saban...for the right price. And he'd like the recognition of Alabama head coach over Arky OC. (and he's done decent enough as a coach that Bama could sell it)

1 minute ago, hikerdns said:

They'll end up with Petrino

He's the Bama version of Hugh Freeze. Seems like the type of fella that wouldnt mind being the sacrificial lamb on the heals of Saban...for the right price. And he'd like the recognition of Alabama head coach over Arky OC. (and he's done decent enough as a coach that Bama could sell it)

Oh lawd… If they hired Petrino, 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, ScotsAU said:

Oh lawd… If they hired Petrino, 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Mark my words, 2024 : )

• Haha 1