Women at Florida 11:00 CST Tip

AU women finish out their regular season at Florida. Can they do what the men cannot… win at the O-Dome? They are a game below .500, and apparently getting to .500 in conference play is a key factor in achieving an at-large NCAAT bid. Last game against a decent Miss State team coached by Sam Purcell (who many AU fans wanted as Coach Flo’s replacement), Scott-Grayson went Kobe Bryant and carried the team to a demonstrative win at home. UF is only 5-10 in league play, but they did play Bama to the buzzer in their last game. They have the SEC leading scorer in guard Leilani Correa.

AU has improved over the course of the season, but they just haven’t avoided a crash-and-burn quarter on the road yet. This is as good an opportunity as any to get over that hump with an elusive road win vs a sub-.500 team. I personally think that it will be there for the taking and AU will be right there in it at the end of the 4th. Whether or not they step up and keep from crumbling remains to be seen. IMO they have to eventually pull out one of these road games vs a beatable foe. I like the Tigers in this one.

• Like 3

I think we either need to win this one, or either a game or two in Greenville, to get in the NCAA tournament. We are likely in as of the moment, but need to solidify things.

Down 22-15 after the 1st. Getting destroyed on the boards; not sure why there is little to no hustle or effort by AU to go after the ball when it bricks off the rim. They’re also playing brain-dead on offense; lobbing easily intercept-able passes into the blocks, multiple shot clock violations. We are only within 7 because of hot shooting out the gate. Many of the deficiencies should be overcome with proper schematic adjustments. Let’s see if we can have a 2nd quarter.

AU up 37-34 at the half. Had us a 2nd quarter. The true test will be what kind of focus and execution AU can come out with in the 3rd quarter. 

• Like 2

AU up 64-54 after 3 quarters of play. Kinda been Bostic’s coming out party. She’s been aggressive, assertive, and in control of the team since the 2nd quarter. Great to see. If they can just safeguard against a letdown, then we should very much be able to close this thing out.

• Like 1

AU holding on 74-69 Big Sav having an impact with her size down low. 4-5 on layup/putbacks and 7 boards. 1:29 to go…

Posted (edited)

Florida is 0-17 from 3. AU shooting 56% from the floor. Not sure how we are only up by 3. 

Edited by tigeraddikt

Nice win on the road! This team has doubled its SEC wins over last year!

• Like 4

AU HOLDS ON!! 77-74. Scott-Grayson blocks a potential game-tying 3 at the buzzer. A ref made what was probably the worst call of the season that I’ve seen on awarding UF a timeout saying they had achieved possession of the ball when it was obvious to anyone alive with at least one working eyeball that no one had possession after a missed Bostic free throw. Great proof-of-concept to show that this team can pull out a game away from Neville. That should stamp their ticket to the NCAAT, which is no small feat. War Eagle!

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

the worst call of the season that I’ve seen on awarding UF a timeout

There was no way that UF had possession at the time. Glad we were still able to pull out the win. 

• Like 2

Fantastic win. I think we are in the big dance, but a win Thursday would lock it up without doubt. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Glad they won! Will watch the replay when it hits youtube later 

Pay close attention to the difference between our play at the 1st - 2nd qtr change. Johnnie implemented changes that ignited our team and set us up for the victory. Haven’t been a big JH fan, but I must give her credit for slowly getting the job done. Scott-Grayson had a solid game, but sat due to fouls more than coach wanted. She didn’t really dominate, but certainly contributed her share. Savannah Scott is going to be a force when she gets her weight down and conditioning up.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Pay close attention to the difference between our play at the 1st - 2nd qtr change. Johnnie implemented changes that ignited our team and set us up for the victory. Haven’t been a big JH fan, but I must give her credit for slowly getting the job done. Scott-Grayson had a solid game, but sat due to fouls more than coach wanted. She didn’t really dominate, but certainly contributed her share. Savannah Scott is going to be a force when she gets her weight down and conditioning up.

Will do, thank you homie! I got to watch the last home game and we did a really good job at asserting ourself after halftime, which I'm sure we all know hasn't been our strong suit. And that was against a NCAA tournament caliber opponent from what I read on here. 

Scott has definitely shown some things this year! I know she's a bigger girl (no offense ofc), and I actually never considered that her limited minutes were a result of conditioning until I read your post, but when you just get her around the rim on either O or D, she does well. There's some times I've seen where she'll play good D, but bc she's relatively floor bound, the opponent will jump up and get the reb faster than she can. That's just one thing that'll improve when she gets a bit sleeker 

• Like 1

We also got some help this weekend. We were projected #2 of the last 4 in for or the latest bracketology. The 2 teams ranked #3 and #4 in the last 4 byes- Maryland and Green Bay, lost this weekend. Green Bay lost at home to a 16-15 Milwaukee team, and Maryland got blown out 71-54 just a little while ago at Indiana.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

We also got some help this weekend. We were projected #2 of the last 4 in for or the latest bracketology. The 2 teams ranked #3 and #4 in the last 4 byes- Maryland and Green Bay, lost this weekend. Green Bay lost at home to a 16-15 Milwaukee team, and Maryland got blown out 71-54 just a little while ago at Indiana.

image.gif

• Love 1

AU went into the 4th quarter with a 10-point lead and fouled incessantly throughout the last period. I'm glad we won of course but that 4th qtr may have been the most frustrating ten minutes of basketball I've ever watched. At last count, UF was 28 of 30 at the foul line.

I don't normally gripe about a win but something about that last quarter just set me off. Made me want to throw a rock through the TV. :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

AU went into the 4th quarter with a 10-point lead and fouled incessantly throughout the last period. I'm glad we won of course but that 4th qtr may have been the most frustrating ten minutes of basketball I've ever watched. At last count, UF was 28 of 30 at the foul line.

I don't normally gripe about a win but something about that last quarter just set me off. Made me want to throw a rock through the TV. :)

I just came back to mention that in watching the entire game, by the end I was perplexed how it was just a 3-point win. UF was 0-18 from the 3 point line; they took 10 more shots but made 5 fewer than AU. Rebounds and turnovers were even. I had no idea that they were freaking 28-30 from the foul line. That is unbelievable. Their other-worldly ability to hit dang near every one of 30 foul shots single-handedly kept them in this game. AU scorched the nets in this game yet only won by a bucket. Nice win, ladies.

• Like 2

Glad to get the road win.  That late game possession call awarded to Florida really was a suck call.  Even the announcers were convinced it would be overturned upon review.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Glad to get the road win.  That late game possession call awarded to Florida really was a suck call.  Even the announcers were convinced it would be overturned upon review.

Yep. Watching most of AU women’s games this season has convinced me that officials calling the women’s games certainly are not the go-getters in their industry.