NCAA Round 1 - AU vs Yale

1 minute ago, arktiger1975 said:

I do coach, and I we have had several games where the other team is not as athletic, but seemingly hit everything they are throwing up early. I tell me guys, "no, that isn't good enough, you are STILL giving him too much room". I tell them, "I could beat you if you give me that much room, make him be an athlete ". Really get on their a-- about it. And once we do that, we always take over the game.

The shot he made over Cardwell, there’s literally nothing a 5 could do to play that better. Now the step back 3 he made from like 29 feet out, I believe that was off a screen. If I’m wrong let me know, but I believe we had the center hedge on the screen with Tre, then he took like 3 steps back worth of space to create that shot. I had a  feeling it was going in since it followed the aforementioned tough shot, but maybe you could’ve defended that differently 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I do coach, and I we have had several games where the other team is not as athletic, but seemingly hit everything they are throwing up early. I tell me guys, "no, that isn't good enough, you are STILL giving him too much room". I tell them, "I could beat you if you give me that much room, make him be an athlete ". Really get on their a-- about it. And once we do that, we always take over the game.

Well then the answer is clear. We fire Bruce and we have our coach!! Problem solved. 

Are we just looking for a nearly full portal rebuild next season? Can't see Broome returning. I'd be surprised if CBM did. We desperately need to upgrade our guard play. I just don't see it with Holloway and Tre is very inconsistent, to say the least. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The shot he made over Cardwell, there’s literally nothing a 5 could do to play that better. Now the step back 3 he made from like 29 feet out, I believe that was off a screen. If I’m wrong let me know, but I believe we had the center hedge on the screen with Tre, then he took like 3 steps back worth of space to create that shot. I had a  feeling it was going in since it followed the aforementioned tough shot, but maybe you could’ve defended that differently 

Just gotta stay attached, be it a hedge or a switch 

• Like 1

So do y'all think CBM's foul should have been a flagrant 1 or 2?

Bruce thought flagrant 1. I'm not sure I understand the difference.

It was definitely intentional.

5 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Are we just looking for a nearly full portal rebuild next season? Can't see Broome returning. I'd be surprised if CBM did. We desperately need to upgrade our guard play. I just don't see it with Holloway and Tre is very inconsistent, to say the least. 

CBM isn’t a NBA prospect and loves Auburn. I’d be shocked if he didn’t take advantage of being the presumed #1 option next year. You definitely need a true facilitator though. Even if it results in Aden, Tre or KD leaving. 

1 minute ago, WillMunny said:

1 is incidental contact of a flagrant level, 2 is with real intention. If you had a chance to catch the HT show, Kenny agreed with the F2 call bc CBM looks over at the Yale guy before throwing the elbow. That would signify intention. He winds up as well 

18 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Idk about your coaching expertise but from watching bball when a guy gets on a heater one guy isn’t going to stop him no matter what. Card was almost inside dude jersey and he still made the shot

Edited by e808

Yep. And the non call that caused the retaliation wasn't called on the Yale guy. Still stupid. Most times the refs don't throw the player out of the biggest game in their live 2 minutes in unless there's a sucker punch involved. 

• Like 1

Our guards missed those free throws.... They are good guys but they are good back ups. They aren't those guys. I knew they both were going to miss the free throws. 

Just shows you need to be able to identify talent and have them on deck.

I'm watching Mark out produce all of our guards on 7 minutes...... Its aggravating..... We had a big stage if we do this right

• Like 3

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Idk about your coaching expertise but from watching bball when a guy gets on a heater one guy guy isn’t going to stop him no matter what. Card was almost inside dude jersey and he still made the shot

It's literally the HARDEST thing to guard and stop.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Idk about your coaching expertise but from watching bball when a guy gets on a heater one guy guy isn’t going to stop him no matter what. Card was almost inside dude jersey and he still made the shot

Spot up shooters, you should be able to stop. Drivers who can't shoot, you should be able to stop. The ones that are hard to guard, of course, are the ones who can get to the rim AND shoot. And if you let a guy who is a spot up shooters beat you off the dribble consistently when you are a better athlete, that's an effort issue.

Edited by arktiger1975

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

CBM isn’t a NBA prospect and loves Auburn. I’d be shocked if he didn’t take advantage of being the presumed #1 option next year. You definitely need a true facilitator though. Even if it results in Aden, Tre or KD leaving. 

KD is a Senior, does he have a covid option?

Like all y 'all, I'm crushed & will need some time to get over this one. When I watched KY play last night I said then that I hope we don't have somebody shoot like that against us. And damn. I can't help but wonder if CBM on him would have made a difference. As Cole said, even if he misses just a couple of those shots, that would have been huge. But despite CBM & that guy's big night... The turnovers. Missed free throws. And can't get a layup to fall. Sometimes it really seems like there really are basketball gods who really have decided against you.

I'm a little different than some of you regarding our guards next year. I hope Aden stays & develops his considerable skills. Same for Tre. Seems to me they have talent so that with development they could be really good. And hopefully smarter after going through this year & learning from it (I hope). Look at Broome's development this year. Huge. And I hope CBM will not want to leave Auburn under these circumstances. The thing about crushing losses is that returning & getting a big win is even sweeter. I hope they'll want to stick together & work together to get such a big win.

• Like 3

I think I would take Buzz Williams over Bruce. 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Our guards missed those free throws.... They are good guys but they are good back ups. They aren't those guys. I knew they both were going to miss the free throws. 

Just shows you need to be able to identify talent and have them on deck.

I'm watching Mark out produce all of our guards on 7 minutes...... Its aggravating..... We had a big stage if we do this right

Absolutely Harper and Bryce makes those free throws. Can give  Broome a semi pass for all the other things he does and the abuse he takes

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

Aden regressing during the season had a major unexpected impact of how the offense was supposed to work.  He was supposed to be an 5* elite shooter - otherwise he’s just another AU undersized guard.

The kid was already a build project physically.  Now he’s a total rebuild mentally.  

4 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I think I would take Buzz Williams over Bruce. 

In a wrestling match?

In a wrestling match?

No as a college basketball coach. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Texas A&M up on Nebraska by 20+. Aggies have really good guard play.

In tournament play good guards is paramount. In every tournament loss it’s a constant reminder to Auburn. U need a floor general 

26 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Back when Bruce was hired, I read that he preferred big, athletic guards for his style of play.

Maybe the portal will soon produce one.

And in his 10 years of being here, has he recruited one that has committed and stayed for their entire time here? I can't think of one.... I like the small guards but only if they can shoot and actually be a threat to get down hill. 

Sure would be nice to get some but I won't hold my breath. 

7 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

The kid was already a build project physically.  Now he’s a total rebuild mentally.  

I know he’s young but he seems so mentally weak. He’s clearly had a big time problem with adjusting to college ball. 

• Like 2