Former High Point guard Duke Miles set to visit Auburn

Auburn basketball is currently trying to fulfill its roster needs for the 2024-25 season, searching for players out of the transfer portal and still on the recruiting trail.

The Tigers have had some success in their efforts so far, and they are looking to continue that with players coming on visits. One of those players is former High Point guard transfer Duke Miles, who is set to visit the Plains on April 30.

The fifth-year senior is seeking out his third school in his college career after playing for Troy for three years and High Point for one. His 6-3, 182-pound frame has made him a key player across both squads.

Coming out of Montgomery, Alabama, Miles has been in and out of the starting lineup throughout his college career. In his most recent season with the Panthers, he started in 27 out of the 33 games he appeared in and averaged 30.5 minutes per game.

His shooting abilities were highly noticed in the Big South Conference last year. He finished second in the league in scoring average, posting 17.5 points per contest. His 52.8% success rate from the field was ranked at the top of the conference, as well, while also shooting 36.1% from beyond the arc.

Miles is a reliable shooter from the free-throw line, something Auburn is always looking for. He shot 80.1% from the charity stripe in the 2023-24 campaign. He made a season-high 10 free throws on Jan. 10 against UNC Asheville.

Miles was recognized for his work last year. He was named to the Big South All-Tournament Team while also receiving Big South First Team All-Conference honors as well. He was even named the 2023-24 Big South Newcomer of the Year.

I want to hear ya’lls input on this one 

They made it a point to say he started 27 of 33 games he played in. Was there an underlying reason he didn’t start all 33? I mean especially for a guy 2nd in the league. Just wondering.

And can he come in and continue his play, or will he struggle like the other guys we brought in last season. One and dones are a must to be ready to go.

• Like 1

Unless he has locker room issues, on paper he is a perfect fit.

Local kid, good shooter, good size and gives us another PG.  With only 3 guards on scholarship we have to have another. Would be hard to find much better thats feasible and willing to backup.

• Like 2

If you’re looking for a backup PG, I think you gotta compromise on at least one or two things you’d commonly want out of the guy. With this guy, you still get the 3 pt shooting (hopefully, percentages can lie, but on face value, his look good) and you get idealistic height. Hopefully the cons aren’t something like a bad character guy or selfish with the ball or sloppy ball handling. Something that could make him an unplayable 

• Like 1

Actually, I don’t know if him being bad with ball handling would make him an unplayable. If he was a laser 3 point shooter then worst case scenario, you could have others bring the ball up and initiate the set. It hamstrings who you’d pair this guy with in terms of other lineups, but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCTAU said:

They made it a point to say he started 27 of 33 games he played in. Was there an underlying reason he didn’t start all 33? I mean especially for a guy 2nd in the league. Just wondering.

And can he come in and continue his play, or will he struggle like the other guys we brought in last season. One and dones are a must to be ready to go.

Who struggled that we brought in last year besides Aden? Denver and CBM were both good additions who played well and were contributors.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Who struggled that we brought in last year besides Aden? Denver and CBM were both good additions who played well and were contributors.

It took Denver until the end of the season to find that shot he was brought in for. He could barely hit a three for over half the season. He was a good defender, so that offset the missing threes.
CBM was an excellent defender and was a good addition. He definitely got better by the end of the season.
Chaney struggled with a slow start but was able to step up when Jay went down.

All of these guys struggled a bit in the beginning but they are also multi year transfer players. So the risk was worth it. 

With a one and done, if they don’t come in hot, their upside is a huge risk for AU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

It took Denver until the end of the season to find that shot he was brought in for. He could barely hit a three for over half the season. He was a good defender, so that offset the missing threes.
CBM was an excellent defender and was a good addition. He definitely got better by the end of the season.
Chaney struggled with a slow start but was able to step up when Jay went down.

All of these guys struggled a bit in the beginning but they are also multi year transfer players. So the risk was worth it. 

With a one and done, if they don’t come in hot, their upside is a huge risk for AU.

That’s simply not true about Denver. He just wasn’t afforded the shot attempts that Aden was getting earlier in the season. He shot 41% from 3 for the season.

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That’s simply not true about Denver. He just wasn’t afforded the shot attempts that Aden was getting earlier in the season. He shot 41% from 3 for the season.

He and Aden missed a lot of threes early on. Aden never got started. Denver went on a tear later. Just think if he had made 30% of those threes early on what his overall % would have been. I can’t count the games we all lamented his 3 point shooting and asked when it would finally kick in. Thank goodness it did. But we can’t discount the slow start. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CCTAU said:

He and Aden missed a lot of threes early on. Aden never got started. Denver went on a tear later. Just think if he had made 30% of those threes early on what his overall % would have been. I can’t count the games we all lamented his 3 point shooting and asked when it would finally kick in. Thank goodness it did. But we can’t discount the slow start. 

Yeah his offense was not as consistent. He himself didn’t look to score. I think he got more comfortable to look for his own, just like Chaney. I remember the App St game vividly where he just wouldn’t drive to the rim at all. 

btw I can’t even imagine how many points would be added if he just wasn’t an atrocious finisher. His numbers had to be under 40% on layups. HAD to be 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah his offense was not as consistent. He himself didn’t look to score. I think he got more comfortable to look for his own, just like Chaney. I remember the App St game vividly where he just wouldn’t drive to the rim at all. 

btw I can’t even imagine how many points would be added if he just wasn’t an atrocious finisher. His numbers had to be under 40% on layups. HAD to be 

I am looking forward to DJ 2.0 next season. His confidence and aggressive nature finally took over. Hopefully with JPP coming in, the shot opportunities will open up tremendously for both and create a two headed monster that gives teams fits. One can dream.

Chaney finally got comfortable and looks like he is ready to take off.

CBM will only continue to get better, I feel. 

It took these guys a bit to fit in and fully gel. And thank goodness we get them another season.

That was the only reason to allude to any slow starts; The fact that anyone we bring in with only one season left, should be ready to hit the ground running. 

The more I see what BP is putting together, the more excited I get. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

I am looking forward to DJ 2.0 next season. His confidence and aggressive nature finally took over. Hopefully with JPP coming in, the shot opportunities will open up tremendously for both and create a two headed monster that gives teams fits. One can dream.

Chaney finally got comfortable and looks like he is ready to take off.

CBM will only continue to get better, I feel. 

It took these guys a bit to fit in and fully gel. And thank goodness we get them another season.

That was the only reason to allude to any slow starts; The fact that anyone we bring in with only one season left, should be ready to hit the ground running. 

The more I see what BP is putting together, the more excited I get. 

Yeah this should probably be our best position in terms of preseason stature in a long while. I’d be shocked if we weren’t top 2 in the SEC in terms of predictions, behind Bama if they get Grant and Sears back 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CCTAU said:

He only attempted 6 shots a game. That was his only issue. We needed him to shoot more.

51 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He only attempted 6 shots a game. That was his only issue. We needed him to shoot more.

Yes we do. And I think he’s there. The last part of the season and especially the tournaments, he picked it up. Coming back as one of the leaders, I think he’ll take a huge step forward. As someone else mentioned, hopefully he can finish a little stronger on his drives. He is very close to being a complete SG. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1