Pick plays on bama's final drive

RunInRed

Check out the two plays starting at the 1:50 mark where #15 runs across the middle of the field and blocks our MLB, freeing Julio for the reception. This happened on back-to-back 3rd down plays on uat's final drive. Is this legal? Or should it have been flagged for offensive pass interference/holding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmPu2zzIJas

WOW.. didn't see that since i haven't watched the 4th quarter yet. Definitely illegal though.

Happened right in front of the line judge too ... what should the call have been?

WOW.. didn't see that since i haven't watched the 4th quarter yet. Definitely illegal though.

Happened right in front of the line judge too ... what should the call have been?

I was going crazy during the game, btw not the first time this year this has happened to AU go watch the LSU game the final TD I think... anyway PI call 15 yards. Normally I am ah just a pick play but they were engaging the contact. Whatever we lost... There were tons of no calls during the game: How about the holding on the kick returns the block in the back on the long punt return, Coleman was getting held all night (well most of it)... blah blah

I agree. Clear pick plays by Hanks.

The :06 mark contains a Ziemba facemask/inside of helmet take down, though.

Looks like he hooked his shoulder pad to me, but I'm as biased as you are.

well it was in the middle of the field, so it happened in front of the umpire and honestly he was too close to really tell what happened. It should have been the fieldjudge or sidejudge on the sideline to make that call. Offensive pass interference.

There was also some holding on the Richardson screen pass at around 2:18, Bynes was held.

These will be reviewed by the SEC office, and I bet it gets called in the SECCG if they try it.

It's a tough call. The second one was much more obvious than the first. I thought both passes would have been complete without the illegal screen, but it would have made McElroy hold it for another beat.

All that's true, but we knew going in that we were going to have to be good enough to overcome bad calls/no calls. That's been the case with teams playing UAT and UF for about four weeks now. The refs didn't rig the obvious very often in the Iron Bowl. So much prior controversy helped with that. But picks, blocks in the back and holding are not that obvious and those calls/nocalls made a difference.

I'm curious as to what would have happened if we'd have intercepted one of those passes on Bammer's last drive. Defense offsides called 12 seconds after the snap?

Sorry to be Debby Downer, but overall I thought it was a pretty game from the refs. Those plays were so far away from the ball, I don't know if it would have matter. It was a great game overall, pretty fair on both sides.

With respect if Auburn wanted to win they should have scored more points. The reason Auburn lost was Auburn not Alabama running pick plays. Auburn threw caution to the wind for the first quarter then turned it off.

To clarify, the point of the thread was not to go off on some "blame the loss on the refs" tangent. It was more a point of curiosity and clarification - is what the receiver did on those two plays legal? I think we know the answer.

Agreed. I don't want to blame the loss on the refs, but they were both very obvious pick plays.

With respect if Auburn wanted to win they should have scored more points. The reason Auburn lost was Auburn not Alabama running pick plays. Auburn threw caution to the wind for the first quarter then turned it off.

Oh shut the hell up.

Oh shut the hell up.

Come on now....ease up. We gave them short fields in the second quarter that allowed them to get back in it. You can't run trick plays the entire game.

First, let me say this. This was too good of a game, and Auburn had too many other opportunities for this to turn into a "refs lost us the game," thread. Auburn and Bama played their hearts out and deserve the focus, not the refs.

That said, I saw from the upper deck that pick play. It was so frickin' obvious. I was screaming about it before they even threw the pass. I couldn't believe it went uncalled. Total BS.

Archived