Dan Mullen - Headphone Scam

JWShewmake

Has anyone seen or read anything further about the headphone scam that Mullen tried to pull during the AU - Miss State game on Saturday? If you recall, Mullen called an official over to the sideline and complained that the headphones were not working. The official immediately went to the Auburn sideline and talked to Chizik and made the AU coaches remove their headphones. As State was ling up to run the next play, Chizik noticed an MSU coach (I think it was the offensive coordinator) put his headset back on and Chizik started making noise about it and the official on our sideline ran across the field calling time out. The TV cameras panned the MSU sideline finding the coach who had his headphones on and the officials and some MSU coaches were yelling at him to remove his headset. The guy's response was angry, but he eventually removed them and the play was run. Nothing else was ever said about the situation, but several plays later, both coaching staffs had their headsets back on. Was this a poor attempt by Mullen to fool the officials into some sort of advantage for the MSU team? I don't know for sure if it was or it wasn't, but it sure appeared that way. Had I been the official, I would have been asking some questions about what was going on. Anyone heard anything concerning this situation?

Has anyone seen or read anything further about the headphone scam that Mullen tried to pull during the AU - Miss State game on Saturday? If you recall, Mullen called an official over to the sideline and complained that the headphones were not working. The official immediately went to the Auburn sideline and talked to Chizik and made the AU coaches remove their headphones. As State was ling up to run the next play, Chizik noticed an MSU coach (I think it was the offensive coordinator) put his headset back on and Chizik started making noise about it and the official on our sideline ran across the field calling time out. The TV cameras panned the MSU sideline finding the coach who had his headphones on and the officials and some MSU coaches were yelling at him to remove his headset. The guy's response was angry, but he eventually removed them and the play was run. Nothing else was ever said about the situation, but several plays later, both coaching staffs had their headsets back on. Was this a poor attempt by Mullen to fool the officials into some sort of advantage for the MSU team? I don't know for sure if it was or it wasn't, but it sure appeared that way. Had I been the official, I would have been asking some questions about what was going on. Anyone heard anything concerning this situation?

I saw it. I thought the same thing. I am glad that Chizik did what he did. Mullen is a piece of crap.

heard nothing else. I just think they need to change the rules on that. back when it was wired and the home team provided the wiring, then one could argue the home team might have someone break the connection. But they are wireless now or can be. Each school have a back up wireless system. if you lose your headset system, then the other team gets to keep theirs.

I thought the officials, when they saw the Miss St coach still using his headset, should have checked them out for themselves. If they were found to really be working then Mullen should have been flagged for a personal foul and ejected from the statium.

Just more proof of their douche baggery created by their douche bag coach.

And don't expect the SEC refs to make a decent judgement call. They showed it is okay to run on the field, get in their face, and give them a tongue lashing.

I don't understand why you guys are insisting this was a scam with zero evidence. I understand the hate for Mullen, and I'm not saying he's innocent, but we, of all people, should be sensitive to accusations based on innuendo rather than evidence.

I don't understand why you guys are insisting this was a scam with zero evidence. I understand the hate for Mullen, and I'm not saying he's innocent, but we, of all people, should be sensitive to accusations based on innuendo rather than evidence.

I agree.

I thought the officials, when they saw the Miss St coach still using his headset, should have checked them out for themselves. If they were found to really be working then Mullen should have been flagged for a personal foul and ejected from the statium.

This

I agree.

In my opinion, he and MSU have earned their badge based on their coaches and boosters discussing payments to sway a recruit to their school and stupid comments from their coach.

I'm curious about your understanding the hate for Mullen, but think he needs the benefit of doubt.

I don't like Mullen or MSU, but I have a hard time believing that in a close SEC game that Mullen would take time away from coaching his team to try a stunt like that to gain a competitive advantage. My guess would be that his quit working briefly and he overreacted and called the refs. Who knows?

You read any of the media reports during last fall in regards to Cam Newton? That was ALL innuendo with no facts.

I think the timing of it had something to do with the way that people felt. Have seen headsets go out at Auburn before and at other games.

This time it just happen to happen after a huge sack, giving AU momentum while up at a point in the game when time was becoming a concern.

I think he did it just to slow things down for a moment and have a feeling that Chizik thought the same thing. Especially when he saw many of them with their sets still on.

You read any of the media reports during last fall in regards to Cam Newton? That was ALL innuendo with no facts.

My point exactly. After all AU fans went through based on innuendo, we are now using innuendo to smear the person most of us believe (without proof) is responsible for our pain. We are using the same tactics against others that were used against us, based merely on the fact we don't like the target of the innuendo. It's time to grow up and start acting like adults.

My point exactly. After all AU fans went through based on innuendo, we are now using innuendo to smear the person most of us believe (without proof) is responsible for our pain. We are using the same tactics against others that were used against us, based merely on the fact we don't like the target of the innuendo. It's time to grow up and start acting like adults.

Although I agree with you, seeing the MSU coordinator with his headset on after we had ours off does raise suspicion. If that had not happened, I don't think as many of our fans make the accusation of a scam.

And his angry reaction did not fit the circumstance. What would a reasonable person conclude after witnessing his outburst?

this is what makes me think it's not quite kosher. If you want them to take theirs off, why should you get angry when it's turned around?

I don't dislike Mullen and the point I made was based on video evidence that we all saw while watching the game. It is a fact that Mullen complained that the headsets were not working and that the officials went to the AU sideline and AU coaches had to remove their headsets. It is also true that the MSU coaches in the press box never removed their headsets and that an MSU coach on the sideline either never took his off or put them back on. It is true that he looked angry when it was demanded that he remove them. I am not trying to smear Mullen at all. For one thing it was inconsequential. I simply asked if anyone had heard anything further on the subject. You have to admit if it was true that he was trying to gain an advantage, it was poor sportsmanship at the least and a poor example to set for his players at the worst.

I agree.

I don't understand why you two believe there is no evidence. There was at least one coach on the sideline still wearing his and the coaches in the booth were still talking into theirs.

I agree.

I don't understand why you two believe there is no evidence. There was at least one coach on the sideline still wearing his and the coaches in the booth were still talking into theirs.

Fair point. That said, let's assume for the sake of discussion that it happened exactly as was explained -- the headsets went out on the State sideline. How else would you know when they came back in service, unless there was one person who kept the headset on and kept listening for a transmission? If your land-line phone went out at home, would you just assume it'd never work again? Or would you pick it up periodically listening for a dial tone?

Not defending anyone; it happened at a critical time, and yep, it certainly seemed... unusual <_< . And I'm definitely not a fan of Ms. State. About 10-some-odd wall clock minutes later you could see both sides with their headsets back on and no further explanation. I guess they fixed the issue, tried it out, and once it was working for everyone it was back to normal.

I think the timing of it had something to do with the way that people felt. Have seen headsets go out at Auburn before and at other games.

This time it just happen to happen after a huge sack, giving AU momentum while up at a point in the game when time was becoming a concern.

I think he did it just to slow things down for a moment and have a feeling that Chizik thought the same thing. Especially when he saw many of them with their sets still on.

Exactly.

After reviewing the recording again, here is the timeline of events:

14:03 4Q game clock- Auburn kicks off following Lutzie TD

13:42- official timeout following 1st down sack of Relf; Officials force both teams to remove headsets

11:59, 9:53, and 9:43- Shots of Mullen and/or assistants with no headsets

9:53- MSU punts

9:36- after McCalebb 1st down run, Chiz with headset around his neck; Mullen with headset in hands

8:31- after 3rd & 20 incompletion, AU assistants wearing headsets, Mullen about to put his on

Headset communication is more important to the offense than the defense. The headsets went down after MSU's first play of the drive, then came back on after the first play of Auburn's next drive. I don't see how even Mullen would have thought he was gaining an advantage by that. If he was faking it, why was it over so fast?

I'm not trying to be a Mullen apologist, but seriously, you people who want to see a conspiracy in this are as bad as those stirring the Cam controversy last year. You have every bit as much evidence for your conspiracy theories as they did.

Archived