***Auburn vs. San Jose State - Post Game Thread***

alexava

He didn't go for it because he didn't think we could make it. If he did he would have. Seems pretty straightforward.

^This

With the way Roc and Barber were running, I don't believe for a second one of them couldn't gain one yard. Try again.

Apparently Gus did

Yup. That's what gets me. Oh well. It's done and over with

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several takes on the team. First, by my count we play with two receivers that played receiver in high school. The rest are converted to the position. We dont throw the ball enough to attract a top receivers. We recruit too many running backs. Could use a defensive guy instead of jovon. Or if he was the best rb, why isnt he seeing the field, i know he was injured early, but i think he is good to go now.

Second we are horrible in the d line. I bet san jose st. wouldnt have gotten 50 yards against bama's d line. Where are all the defensive studs? Put Holland in the game and let the kid learn. Same with Cowart. It dumbfonds me that we are so bad on d, yet we keep playing the same players thinking we are going to get better. # 6 cant play d end.

Not sure if already posted but obviously dissent between Gus and Rhett going on. After SW missed Louis in the end zone (when RL stopped on his route) Gus jumped Rhett's ass. Rhett was yelling back at Gus indicating it was SWs fault. SW went back up to Rhett after getting yelled at and apologized. Rhett spent the rest of the game in isolation. DC was the one meeting with the O the majority of the time and with Gus as well. After that point, I think Gud started getting involved in play calling. We went with less subs and more tempo during that time, but we also still stalled in the red zone in the 4th as well.

Seeing this - would you say that the play-calling and offense improved after this, regressed, or stayed the same? Just curious.

We are are very dysfunctional team right now and I do not see us correcting it soon. Actually its almost to late to correct it at this time of the season

Dysfunctional is the perfect term for us right now. Nailed it.

Jason Smith needs to be starting at QB. All we need him to do is be an average thrower. This offense doesn't work unless the defense respects our QBs running the ball off the zone read. Period.

I feel like SW could be a decent runner for us, but Gus is too afraid to let him do it, knowing that if he gets hurt, we'll have to go back to JJ!! Gus has lost his nerve, and if he's not careful, it could eventually lose him his job. I'm not saying to fire him, but with coaching salaries what they are, you only get one, maybe two, seasons like this one. Our offensive production is shite. I'm watching the Ole Miss v. UF game, and UF looks light years ahead of us on offense.

As for Jason Smith being QB, I'm not sure if that is the answer, but at least let him run a few wildcat series, and let him mix up the run and the pass to see how it goes! Letting KJ do the wildcat, we are just broadcasting to the defense that we are going to run it. I feel like our play book only has 1 page.....

White is the most immobile thrower we have on our roster. We saw it tonight. I think he netted negative yards running the ball the three times he was allowed to do so.

As for Smith, I believe that there is a reason that he was moved from quarterback. He probably can't throw it consistently well enough to be useful. We'd be better off with Wallace than we would Smith.

Jason Smith needs to be starting at QB. All we need him to do is be an average thrower. This offense doesn't work unless the defense respects our QBs running the ball off the zone read. Period.

I don't recall Chris Tods being a runner

He was a respected QB?

He broke passing records in 2009. I haven't seen SW or JJ challenge any records.

Not sure if already posted but obviously dissent between Gus and Rhett going on. After SW missed Louis in the end zone (when RL stopped on his route) Gus jumped Rhett's ass. Rhett was yelling back at Gus indicating it was SWs fault. SW went back up to Rhett after getting yelled at and apologized. Rhett spent the rest of the game in isolation. DC was the one meeting with the O the majority of the time and with Gus as well. After that point, I think Gud started getting involved in play calling. We went with less subs and more tempo during that time, but we also still stalled in the red zone in the 4th as well.

Seeing this - would you say that the play-calling and offense improved after this, regressed, or stayed the same? Just curious.

That happened in the 2nd quarter. I thought we played a much better offensive 2nd half but still had undisciplined mistakes that cost us points. So I don't know if Gus calling plays fixes this, wholly. We seem to have a severe lack of confidence or self doubt that we have to overcome. 5 games in and the remaining schedule we face, I just don't see it. My real concern is losing (mentally) the new guys that are playing so much this year, for next year.

I feel like SW could be a decent runner for us, but Gus is too afraid to let him do it, knowing that if he gets hurt, we'll have to go back to JJ!! Gus has lost his nerve, and if he's not careful, it could eventually lose him his job. I'm not saying to fire him, but with coaching salaries what they are, you only get one, maybe two, seasons like this one. Our offensive production is shite. I'm watching the Ole Miss v. UF game, and UF looks light years ahead of us on offense.

As for Jason Smith being QB, I'm not sure if that is the answer, but at least let him run a few wildcat series, and let him mix up the run and the pass to see how it goes! Letting KJ do the wildcat, we are just broadcasting to the defense that we are going to run it. I feel like our play book only has 1 page.....

White is the most immobile thrower we have on our roster. We saw it tonight. I think he netted negative yards running the ball the three times he was allowed to do so.

As for Smith, I believe that there is a reason that he was moved from quarterback. He probably can't throw it consistently well enough to be useful. We'd be better off with Wallace than we would Smith.

Check a box score. White had 4 carries for 18 yards. Before the second half, his 4.5ypc was leading the team.

Alright, so apparently my post count isn't large enough to start a new thread, but I had a story I wanted to share with y'all.

----

My Post-Game Experience

As an Auburn freshmen, I sat in the student section for the first time today and cheered on the team. Though the victory was fun, the most exciting part actually came after the game.

My parents were in town for the game, so I hopped on a bus to take me to a parking lot near them. The bus was pretty crowded, so I initially stood. Shortly after, though, a gentlemen (likely in his fifties) graciously placed his bag on his lap and offered me a seat next to him.

We silently stayed on our phones at first, but since the traffic was moving slowly, I decided to strike up a conversation with him. I asked him if he had been an Auburn student, and he told me that he had actually played on the team as a running back. He casually mentioned that it took him a little longer to get his degree, since he played professional football for a bit. He showed me a video of him at Auburn on his iPhone, and the next thing I know, I’m watching Joe Cribbs run straight by defenders.

Though one of the best RBs in Auburn history, he was very humble about his football accomplishments. In fact, football constituted quite little of our conversation. He talked about his family, his time at Auburn, and how things have changed since he was there. I told him about some of my experiences at Auburn so far. We were talking as two friends, not as a celebrity and a fan.

While there are several definitions for the term, I can confidently say that Mr. Cribbs is a true “Auburn Man.” And the moral of the story is that sometimes you should put down your phone and speak to the person next to you; you never know who you’ll meet.

Alright, so apparently my post count isn't large enough to start a new thread, but I had a story I wanted to share with y'all.

----

My Post-Game Experience

As an Auburn freshmen, I sat in the student section for the first time today and cheered on the team. Though the victory was fun, the most exciting part actually came after the game.

My parents were in town for the game, so I hopped on a bus to take me to a parking lot near them. The bus was pretty crowded, so I initially stood. Shortly after, though, a gentlemen (likely in his fifties) graciously placed his bag on his lap and offered me a seat next to him.

We silently stayed on our phones at first, but since the traffic was moving slowly, I decided to strike up a conversation with him. I asked him if he had been an Auburn student, and he told me that he had actually played on the team as a running back. He casually mentioned that it took him a little longer to get his degree, since he played professional football for a bit. He showed me a video of him at Auburn on his iPhone, and the next thing I know, I’m watching Joe Cribbs run straight by defenders.

Though one of the best RBs in Auburn history, he was very humble about his football accomplishments. In fact, football constituted quite little of our conversation. He talked about his family, his time at Auburn, and how things have changed since he was there. I told him about some of my experiences at Auburn so far. We were talking as two friends, not as a celebrity and a fan.

While there are several definitions for the term, I can confidently say that Mr. Cribbs is a true “Auburn Man.” And the moral of the story is that sometimes you should put down your phone and speak to the person next to you; you never know who you’ll meet.

That's awesome! WDE

He didn't go for it because he didn't think we could make it. If he did he would have. Seems pretty straightforward.

^This

With the way Roc and Barber were running, I don't believe for a second one of them couldn't gain one yard. Try again.

Too bad it's not about what YOU believe. So you think Gus believed we could get 7 but he would rather take the 3?

^This

Too bad it's not about what YOU believe. So you think Gus believed we could get 7 but he would rather take the 3?

I think Gus believed we could get 7, but was afraid we would fail. It's way to conservative of an approach considering how our defense was playing.

^This

I think Gus believed we could get 7, but was afraid we would fail. It's way to conservative of an approach considering how our defense was playing.

For the record I thought we could have made it also which is why I would have went for it. Point is it doesn't matter what any of us think. Gus made the decision to kick it so it seems pretty obvious he didn't think they could do it. Seems pretty straighforward. If you think you can punch it in you go for it, if not you kick it. The proof is in the pudding what Gus though about it.

^This

For the record I thought we could have made it also which is why I would have went for it. Point is it doesn't matter what any of us think. Gus made the decision to kick it so it seems pretty obvious he didn't think they could do it. Seems pretty straighforward. If you think you can punch it in you go for it, if not you kick it. The proof is in the pudding what Gus though about it.

I can't believe I have to explain this at all, much less again, but here goes. I'm not an idiot; I'm well aware that my opinion changes nothing. It's also clear that Gus wasn't confident that we could make it; otherwise he'd go for it. That's common sense.

My Point Is two-fold:

Why he wasn't confident we'd make it with Roc and Peyton in the backfield is baffling to me. Those guys were killing it, and now he's not sure one of them can run three feet and get the first down? Secondly, THERE IS LITERALY NO DOWNSIDE TO GOING FOR IT (save a possible fumble). If we don't make it, they have to go the length of the field to score. If we do make it, we would probably have scored another touchdown. Scientist gets it. It's not that hard to grasp. After having said all that, you admit you agree with me, so not sure why you bothered. Does that make sense?

Actually I do see a few wins that aren't miracles. Kentucky, Idaho, Arkansas, Alabama A&M, Georgia if they keep playing like that, Ole Miss if they keep playing like this, and with Carl Lawson and some growth at QB Alabama is quite possible. Call me what you want but I'm not saying die.

I'm very concerned. I see a lot of issues. But I'd rather see the positive possibilities than say something just so I can say "I told you so"

Good post and a better attitude. Nice to see someone who won't give up in the face of adversity or bow to their own insecurities. I agree -- this team has obvious issues; but if they give up like so many of our fairweather fans, then those possible wins go out the window.

----

My Post-Game Experience

Awesome story. Thanks for posting.

:wareagle:

----

My Post-Game Experience

Awesome story. Thanks for posting.

:wareagle:

nice story indeed. And good to hear that J C seems to be doing well and enjoying some AU football from time to time. I enjoyed watching him play back in the day...

----

My Post-Game Experience

:thumbsup: AUsome story!

There's a lot of trolls lurking this board.

There are a lot of AU fans dealing with the shattering of high expectations. Football is important to us(maybe too much so). The chips are down and everyone is venting in their own way. Expressing frustration accurately on a message board isn't easy.

The big personnel charge on offense I would like to see is a purge of the WR group. To many lazy routes, missed or half attempted blocks, easy catches that are drops and lack of effort for going up and getting the ball. Not sure if this is on DC, injuries, or maybe DWs attitude is spreading to the whole group? It's getting to the point I like to see Roc and Kerryon lined up a receiver if Gus is going to ride PB as the starter. AUs RBs make the most explosive plays in the passing game.

I'm sure I missed a very long thread on this earlier in the year. But can anyone give the specific reason Duke was suspended from the team this past spring/summer?

I am at a complete loss trying to understand why he has such a bad attitude and why the coaches keep putting him on the field but not actually use him. I'm wondering if the explanation is related to his earlier suspension.

My biggest concern is that there seems to be ZERO imagination in the passing game. I have seen Gus too much to think he has no imagination. Wth is the problem? Hell, there are freshman qbs every where with enough pulse to show some semblance of a passing game.

I don't recall Chris Tods being a runner

He was a respected QB?

He broke passing records in 2009. I haven't seen SW or JJ challenge any records.

Chris Todd wasn't limited to 10 passes either. I mean Chris Todd tied a single game TD record against Ball State..

Archived