Is Tre gonna go pro early? How about anybody else?

au_weagle

What is BEST for the players does NOT always revolve around money or selling your soul to the NFL. Coming back to Auburn for a senior year would be what is best for Tre. Robinson should stay for his four years. You only get to do this once. They should treasure it.

Yeah, they should stay like Taylor Lewan from Michigan who likely would have been a Top 10-15 pick last season but chose to come back and had an average to disappointing season. Not only did he probably hurt his draft stock (he's seen as more of a Top 20 pick now), but Michigan ended up losing 5 games and was a major failure all year long. He didn't come back and improve his signing bonus and he didn't feel the glory of winning anything either. I'd certainly hope he banged a lot of 10/10 coeds because he wasted a year otherwise.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your 20 or 21 years old would you not go for the possible millions $$$. I would.

\Just remember...the bonuses for lower round draft choices is not in the millions....in fact by the 3rd round, the bonuses can be less than $100K...and there are few or no guaranteed contracts in the NFL...get hurt and you are gone. I was looking forward to seeing a couple AU guys from the 2010 team play with the panthers....Ziemba, Darvin Adams and Ryan Pugh....RP and Z did not ever see a down and DA was on scout team and maybe out of the league. For any of the guys now playing at AU the only place they are about sure of playing is at AU...and the value of the scholarship and experience should not be discounted.

Just a O & B feeling but I am hopeful that he has had such a rewarding and enjoyable year that he decides to finish the process, with a majority of the Offense back, and just see how much further they can push it next year.

Hearing that G-Rob will likely go pro. Saying he is projected at a 1st rounder. He's more likely to do so than Tre

I am not hearing this. He is a sophomore!!!! It would be a bloody shame for him to go pro too soon. Just like the bammer O'liners who stayed for their junior year, he will grow and mature. We need to urge him to use his good sense and stay.

You are not hearing this? Who exactly would you hear it from if he were going to leave? This is not a secret and has been discussed and written about at length. Pick up a paper or turn the computer on. Also, my 10 year old knows GR is a draft eligible Sophomore and a likely first rounder. Now before you go bonkers on me like you seem to do with this subject, I am not enticing anyone to leave as I have no actual contact with GR nor Mason. However, if its me and I were gonna be a first rounder, I'd roll and then come back to AU to finish up. WDE.

Hearing that G-Rob will likely go pro. Saying he is projected at a 1st rounder. He's more likely to do so than Tre

I am not hearing this. He is a sophomore!!!! It would be a bloody shame for him to go pro too soon. Just like the bammer O'liners who stayed for their junior year, he will grow and mature. We need to urge him to use his good sense and stay.

You are not hearing this? Who exactly would you hear it from if he were going to leave? This is not a secret and has been discussed and written about at length. Pick up a paper or turn the computer on. Also, my 10 year old knows GR is a draft eligible Sophomore and a likely first rounder. Now before you go bonkers on me like you seem to do with this subject, I am not enticing anyone to leave as I have no actual contact with GR nor Mason. However, if its me and I were gonna be a first rounder, I'd roll and then come back to AU to finish up. WDE.

Agreed. These young men have a tough decision ahead of them. Any of us that think we should have input are delusional. I hope these men make a decision they are happy with years from now. The opportunity to further ones education will probably be there long after the opportunity to play for huge salaries in the NFL. I would not attempt to make this decision for my own children no way in hell would I attempt to influence nor question non family members during this process. We should all sit quietly and support these men in their decision.

It is true though. Robinson is the biggest threat out of anyone to leave early. I would love for all these guys to stay but I'm more concerned about what is best for them and NOT what Auburn fans want.

What is BEST for the players does NOT always revolve around money or selling your soul to the NFL. Coming back to Auburn for a senior year would be what is best for Tre. Robinson should stay for his four years. You only get to do this once. They should treasure it.

So says you. Either way i support what they do but is about what is best for them. You sound like a huge homer and selfish. It's about them...not about what the fans want.

+1 Seriously...dude needs to get a grip. I just want them to make the best decision for them...no us.

+1 Seriously...dude needs to get a grip. I just want them to make the best decision for them...no us.

Not going bonkers on anyone; but it does seem like this issue has become polarized. Sometimes, 'what's best for them' and 'what's best for us' can be the same thing. It seems most folks are thinking in terms of these being opposites or at least opposed. I don't think things are that clear-cut. There's something to be said for loyalty -- and one thing one might say is that it's often good for your soul. This is not 'just a business relationship' where loyalty can be reduced to some sort of economic calculation. This is about relationships, too. It's about commitment, as well. And these are two way streets with multiple crossroads. It's just wrong, that is, too simplistic, to think of this only in terms of how much money they will make if they stay vs. if they go.

Not going bonkers on anyone; but it does seem like this issue has become polarized. Sometimes, 'what's best for them' and 'what's best for us' can be the same thing. It seems most folks are thinking in terms of these being opposites or at least opposed. I don't think things are that clear-cut. There's something to be said for loyalty -- and one thing one might say is that it's often good for your soul. This is not 'just a business relationship' where loyalty can be reduced to some sort of economic calculation. This is about relationships, too. It's about commitment, as well. And these are two way streets with multiple crossroads. It's just wrong, that is, too simplistic, to think of this only in terms of how much money they will make if they stay vs. if they go.

I guess that is where i do differ because they are seperate. I never stated anything about him going to the NFL b/c he will make a ton of money. That's what many assume if you say a kid should go to the NFL. There are more elements than just money to the equation that many have already stated. Your statement is based on you thinking that i'm saying Tre should go b/c of money. I never stated such.

Those guys are being loyal by working hard everyday on and off the field...going to class...being good Auburn men. They don't owe us anything but that. Why do they owe us another year if it is the best interest for them and their future to go pro? Being loyal is using their time wisely while they are at Auburn. If Tre wants to come back then fine but it's his decision and not what we want and desire. They are the ones that are putting their bodies through all the stress and strain..not us. Sure they know what they signed up for but nothing is promised. If they want to stay...great but if it is in their best interest to go to the NFL i say go...Auburn will be just fine.

Its a weird draft year. There are around 8 OT who could go in the first round.. Robinson may do better waiting until next year if teams decide to fill other needs and OT becomes a second or 3rd rd. need for teams. In other words Robinson could drop in a hurry just by there being so many this year. If Tre is seen as a 2 or 3 round pick, that is where most running backs are drafted these days. If he can go then unless he has personal reasons for staying he should go because he saves a year of wear and tear on his body from coming back.

If anybody is guaranteed to go in the first they should go.If something bad was to happen next year and he couldn't play anymore the most he would get from anybody is war eagle. He can always come back and finish his degree if he wants it

He shouldn't. He plays good in our scheme but not sure he will be NFL caliber or durable. I like that Roc Thomas coming in!

Huh? Durable? Dude is a workhorse. I don't get the "NFL caliber" either. He is arguably the best RB in the nation. He can certainly play at the next level......and thrive.

I hope they all stay, but if Tre and G Robinson feel it is best for them to go pro, then I will wish them the best!!

wde

"I'm not sure," Mason said. "I've been talking to my family, talking to a couple guys that I know that are already there like (Baltimore Ravens safety) Matt Elam and guys like that. I've been discussing those things with them and they said don't worry about it, leave it in God's hands. He's going to make the right decision for you, so I'm just going to let time wind down."

From this article.

I guess that is where i do differ because they are seperate. I never stated anything about him going to the NFL b/c he will make a ton of money. That's what many assume if you say a kid should go to the NFL. There are more elements than just money to the equation that many have already stated. Your statement is based on you thinking that i'm saying Tre should go b/c of money. I never stated such.

Those guys are being loyal by working hard everyday on and off the field...going to class...being good Auburn men. They don't owe us anything but that. Why do they owe us another year if it is the best interest for them and their future to go pro? Being loyal is using their time wisely while they are at Auburn. If Tre wants to come back then fine but it's his decision and not what we want and desire. They are the ones that are putting their bodies through all the stress and strain..not us. Sure they know what they signed up for but nothing is promised. If they want to stay...great but if it is in their best interest to go to the NFL i say go...Auburn will be just fine.

I think we actually agree, and I didn't mean to suggest that I was characterizing your opinion. Sorry it looked that way. I meant to refer to the general debate that we (all) are having about whether players (not just Tre) should leave early. Too many of us (IMO) reduce it to an economic decision. I agree that any player should go, if that is in his best interest (where the latter is defined in more than economic terms).

I think we actually agree, and I didn't mean to suggest that I was characterizing your opinion. Sorry it looked that way. I meant to refer to the general debate that we (all) are having about whether players (not just Tre) should leave early. Too many of us (IMO) reduce it to an economic decision. I agree that any player should go, if that is in his best interest (where the latter is defined in more than economic terms).

Understand.

It is in the best interest of Tre's body for him to leave early. It is in his best interest of his goal to win the heisman for him to stay. As an Auburn fan I want what is best for the team and its players. I can understand the arguement for him to stay for the team's success next year. I can understand the arguement for him to leave because it IS best for his career as a pro to leave. Tre Mason should make his decision based solely on what makes him happy. Personally, I will be happy with whatever he decides to do.

Good post.

I think Tre wants the Heisman. Next year it could easily be his.

Won't be easy. I hope he comes back, but coming back to win the Heisman is the wrong reason.

Sounds like he is going about this the right way.

Every time we have these discussions I think, "What advice would I give my son in this situation?". We are AUFamily and I want what is best for these kids. A lot of factors go into these decisions. What are their goals? What do they want to do/accomplish? College degree, college experience, draft stock, and money as well as other things should all be considered. Any AU kid who goes about it the right way, I will support his decision. (Not that any of them have ever needed my support)

Quit trying to make our kids leave, you bammer! It's not in Tre's best interest to put his health and his future first! It would serve me him best to risk injury and financial security for a one-in-very-very-many shot at a title and a Heisman, and to complete a degree that he could totally come back and complete later!

Oh, also, Tre is "smallish" and "doesn't have elite speed", so he's not an "NFL style" back anyway!

God, I hope he comes back, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, whether it begin in 2014 or 2015, I really look forward to following his pro career. He's built to last.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller released a new Mock Draft yesterday....

12. New York Giants—OT Greg Robinson, Auburn

The struggles Eli Manning has faced this season are well-documented but not entirely his fault. The Giants must address his blindside protection and admit that Will Beatty isn't suited for the job. Greg Robinson is just a redshirt sophomore at Auburn, but he's dominant at the point of attack and has the smooth slide to mirror and defend the edge as a pass-protector.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller released a new Mock Draft yesterday....

12. New York Giants—OT Greg Robinson, Auburn

The struggles Eli Manning has faced this season are well-documented but not entirely his fault. The Giants must address his blindside protection and admit that Will Beatty isn't suited for the job. Greg Robinson is just a redshirt sophomore at Auburn, but he's dominant at the point of attack and has the smooth slide to mirror and defend the edge as a pass-protector.

That's the ONLY mock I've seen of him in the first roun and its by the trusty br

Quit trying to make our kids leave, you bammer! It's not in Tre's best interest to put his health and his future first! It would serve me him best to risk injury and financial security for a one-in-very-very-many shot at a title and a Heisman, and to complete a degree that he could totally come back and complete later!

Oh, also, Tre is "smallish" and "doesn't have elite speed", so he's not an "NFL style" back anyway!

God, I hope he comes back, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, whether it begin in 2014 or 2015, I really look forward to following his pro career. He's built to last.

Hint: if you don't include a [/sarcasm] tag, some people will undoubtedly take you seriously.

Archived