***Auburn vs. La Tech Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy Johnson needs A LOT more playing time. Nick is having all kinds of problems in the past 2 games.

397 yards passing, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception (which was the result of a deflected throw), as well as 151 yards rushing. I'd say he's doing alright...

Be honest. You *watched* the games. NM is not throwing very well. Even the catchable balls are often not placed well. The "to a spot" throws are too low, the slants are low and behind, and the long balls are over the wrong shoulder. We *should* have had 400 yards passing against KSU alone. NM is a warrior, but if an SEC calibre team stuffs our run, I see nothing that makes me belief that he can consistently move the offense against them through the air.

Corey Grant has no RB skills and isn't elusive at all. He's a track star and runs fast in a straight line. CAP is a good back, but he's not explosive and has pretty average speed. Roc and Barber must be struggling to grasp the offense because we really need them IMO.

Marshall is just not a natural passer. You don't learn to pass at 24 years old you learn at 15. It's a talent some athletes just have and it's very hard to teach. All the footwork and proper form in practice blows up when big guys start chasing you for real in a live game. He got bailed out today on a circus catch by Duke and what amounted to a hail mary by Quan. It's not just about the stats gained it's also about the stats missed and Nick misses a lot of them some games.

What's wrong with our offensive line? this marks the second game in a row that the OL is having trouble blocking for our RB's to run wild.

O-line and our kicking game? When and how does it get fixed?

Kicking game? Matt Shiel I think.

O line? We just don't have the personnel to run the same run game as last year. They look good enough to keep the pocket open long enough to launch a pass though. That might clear enough space to open the run game a little.

No point in showing any more of our playbook than was necessary to take away the Oklahoma comparison if that comes up later.

Well if that was the case so be it. I have my doubts on that. Now the "preseason" is over. It's time to let it all hang out and don't hold anything in reserve

Jeremy Johnson needs A LOT more playing time. Nick is having all kinds of problems in the past 2 games.

397 yards passing, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception (which was the result of a deflected throw), as well as 151 yards rushing. I'd say he's doing alright...

Agreed, but in fairness, if you wanna mention that the int was because it was deflected, probably need to mention that at least two of those td's had nothing to do with Nick and everything to do with outstanding efforts by Duke and Quan.

That's their job....which if Sammie and RLouis understood, would make them more dangerous too......and of course let's not forget the dropped passes that have plagued the passing attack.

Ha, I believe those two grabs were a little beyond just doing their jobs. Above and beyond and I guarantee you Nick thanked them for bailing him out.

Agreed, but in fairness, if you wanna mention that the int was because it was deflected, probably need to mention that at least two of those td's had nothing to do with Nick and everything to do with outstanding efforts by Duke and Quan.

In fairness, the Quan TD had a lot to do with Nick's effort. First, he kept the play alive when he had to scramble. Second, he found the open receiver. Third, he threw the ball on the run and right to the receiver. Fourth, he threw a pass that would allow the receiver to make a play on the ball and that is exactly what Quan did. Without Nick's ability to use his feet to get out of trouble in the first place, that whole sequence doesn't even happen.

The Duke 1 handed catch was actually a pass right on target but got tipped on the way. That's what threw the trajectory off to the right and it allowed Duke to make a great play.

In fairness, the Quan TD had a lot to do with. First he kept the play alive when he had to scramble. Second he found the open receiver. Third he threw the ball on the run right to the receiver. Fourth, he threw a pass that would allow the receiver to make a play on the ball and that is exactly what Quan did. Without Nick's ability to use his feet to get out of trouble, that whole sequence doesn't even happen doesn't

The Duke 1 handed catch was actually a pass right on target but got tipped on the way. That's what threw the trajectory off to the right and it allowed Duke to make a great play.

It's quite obvious we have some armchair qb's on this board and they care more about criticizing a bcs championship game qb. Even if he makes a great play from getting sacked and throwing a td, something along the way they somehow say how he screwed that up to, smh

Offense wasn't any more effective with JJ in there. The line is still the issue.

Disagree totally!!

First three possessions under Marshall

1st Possession: 4 plays, 16 yards, punt

2nd Possession: 3 plays, 8 yards, punt

3rd Possession: 1 play, 5 yards, TD

Two Possessions under Johnson

1st Possession: 6 plays, 76 yards, TD

2nd Possession: 5 plays, 19 yards, 4th and 3: incomplete pass.

Marshall: 58.8 % pass completion rate

Johnson: 80% completion rate

There is no way you can look at these stats (not to mention the last possession for Johnson was to run out the clock) and not see who was more effective.

If you look at the Arkansas game, same type story. The offense has performed better and been more consistent under Johnson.

Johnson is definitely the more accurate passer and this seems to fit this Offensive unit better overall.

Marshall is the better runner and much more elusive, but the O-Line is not adept to the zone read this year. I think a large portion of this is due to the loss of Jay Prosch.

In fairness, the Quan TD had a lot to do with Nick's effort. First he kept the play alive when he had to scramble. Second he found the open receiver. Third he threw the ball on the run, right to the receiver. Fourth, he threw a pass that would allow the receiver to make a play on the ball and that is exactly what Quan did. Without Nick's ability to use his feet to get out of trouble in the first place, that whole sequence doesn't even happen.

Yes, Nick made an great move getting away but the point is he threw in to double coverage on the Duke TD and in no way did he throw to the open reciever (Quan) because he certainly wasn't open. It was a classic jump ball.

I'd also like to give the disclaimer I'm not bashing Nick, just making some obvious (IMO) observations. No need for anyone to get their panties in a wad because someone has a less than stellar view of Nicks play. :)

In fairness, the Quan TD had a lot to do with. First he kept the play alive when he had to scramble. Second he found the open receiver. Third he threw the ball on the run right to the receiver. Fourth, he threw a pass that would allow the receiver to make a play on the ball and that is exactly what Quan did. Without Nick's ability to use his feet to get out of trouble, that whole sequence doesn't even happen doesn't

It's quite obvious we have some armchair qb's on this board and they care more about criticizing a bcs championship game qb. Even if he makes a great play from getting sacked and throwing a td, something along the way they somehow say how he screwed that up to, smh

Agreed. Since Nick has been our qb we have only lost two games. One of them we came up just 13 seconds short. Is he the perfect qb? No. But he can win games. How many times has he led us down the field to win a game? Its frustrating sometimes but I still believe in him and we are still winning. ENJOY THE WIN!!

In fairness, the Quan TD had a lot to do with Nick's effort. First, he kept the play alive when he had to scramble. Second, he found the open receiver. Third, he threw the ball on the run and right to the receiver. Fourth, he threw a pass that would allow the receiver to make a play on the ball and that is exactly what Quan did. Without Nick's ability to use his feet to get out of trouble in the first place, that whole sequence doesn't even happen.

Right to the receiver? Quan was a foot behind the DB and he had to channel his inner Moss to jump over the DB for the ball...

We should get to see plenty of JJ next year. This year belongs to NM, barring injury.

Well unless the rest of this Offense can adjust to the Marshall style of offense, say goodbye to the SEC Championship this year.

Note, I am not laying this all at Marshall's feel. He will never be a great passer, but he can be the best zone read qb AU has ever had!

That being said, this year's offensive support is not working or clicking in the zone read offense. They do work better under a more pass oriented offense, which Johnson excels at. Last year the Offense as a whole excelled at the zone read. Lots of this was due to Robinson and Prosch.

If Gus believes Nick gives us the best chance to win, well guess what Nick haters? it really doesn't matter what you all say now does it?

Who is a Nick hater? As I have said, this is not all at Nick's feet.

But this offensive line and the blocking schemes required for the zone read, is simply not clicking this year. We have to adjust to our team's abilities.

If Gus believes Nick gives us the best chance to win, well guess what Nick haters? it really doesn't matter what you all say now does it?

Who is a Nick hater? As I have said, this is not all at Nick's feet.

Wasn't directed towards u, just to those that constantly bash Nick week end and out

The over emotional group loves Marshall because we had success last year.

Archived