AU Defense is Primed for a Breakout Season

TigerWar

I honestly think for the first time in many, many years, Auburn has the chance to win with defense in 2016. Of course it all depends on the health of our leaders and stars on that side of the ball, but if we remain unscathed in the injury department, I believe we can expect our best defensive unit in years.

I can foresee Gus going back to a power rushing offense with the likes of JF3, Jovon Robinson, Roc Thomas, Kerryon Johnson, Kamryn Pettway and Chandler Cox leading the charge and actually becoming more of a defensive strategist in the 2016 season.

How long has it been since we've had a defense rank in the Top 25? That's a question better answered by StatTiger, but I know it's been a long time.

I think what hurt Auburn most in 2015 besides the obvious quarterback play is the fact that the team never discovered its identity and I believe that's something that Gus is going to want to establish quickly.

Maybe I'm looking through orange and blue tinted shades, but I believe Auburn has the best defensive line in the SEC or easily one of the best. Now I realize that there are a lot of "ifs" but the defensive side of the ball has a lot of leadership with redshirt junior Carl Lawson, and seniors Montravius Adams and Devaroe Lawrence manning the front, junior Tre' Williams captaining the middle of the field, junior Nick Ruffin and seniors Johnathan Ford and Josh Holsley in the defensive backfield.

What our defense has suffered from most in years past is the lack of a pass rush, but it hasn't been the only flaw as our interior run defense has been nothing short of abysmal against pro-style run heavy teams. I believe you'll see vast improvement in all categories in 2016.

This is not to say that we'll compete for a natty or even win the West, BUT I am very, very confident that we'll witness an Auburn defense in 2016 that is unlike any we've seen in a long, long time.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think for the first time in many, many years, Auburn has the chance to win with defense in 2016. Of course it all depends on the health of our leaders and stars on that side of the ball, but if we remain unscathed in the injury department, I believe we can expect our best defensive unit in years.

I can foresee Gus going back to a power rushing offense with the likes of JF3, Jovon Robinson, Roc Thomas, Kerryon Johnson, Kamryn Pettway and Chandler Cox leading the charge and actually becoming more of a defensive strategist in the 2016 season.

How long has it been since we've had a defense rank in the Top 25? That's a question better answered by StatTiger, but I know it's been a long time.

I think what hurt Auburn most in 2015 besides the obvious quarterback play is the fact that the team never discovered its identity and I believe that's something that Gus is going to want to establish quickly.

Maybe I'm looking through orange and blue tinted shades, but I believe Auburn has the best defensive line in the SEC or easily one of the best. Now I realize that there are a lot of "ifs" but the defensive side of the ball has a lot of leadership with redshirt junior Carl Lawson, and seniors Montravius Adams and Devaroe Lawrence manning the front, junior Tre' Williams captaining the middle of the field, junior Nick Ruffin and seniors Johnathan Ford and Josh Holsley in the defensive backfield.

What our defense has suffered from most in years past is the lack of a pass rush, but it hasn't been the only flaw as our interior run defense has been nothing short of abysmal against pro-style run heavy teams. I believe you'll see vast improvement in all categories in 2016.

This is not to say that we'll compete for a natty or even win the West, BUT I am very, very confident that we'll witness an Auburn defense in 2016 that is unlike any we've seen in a long, long time.

Wow, no love for Carlton Davis? He is probably the second best player on our defense.

I thought the same thing. Mods can we perma ban the OP for his omission of Carlton Davis even though the rest of his post was pretty much spot on? Heads deserve to roll for this!

I kid I kid

Wow, no love for Carlton Davis? He is probably the second best player on our defense.

The guy that just completed his true freshman season? You might want to read the paragraph again as it was specifically talking about leadership of upperclassmen.

Gonna be hard to have a breakout season on D this year unless the LB play proves to be something more than its been. All new starters better step up and prove a lot of folks wrong if that's gonna happen.

Gonna be hard to have a breakout season on D this year unless the LB play proves to be something more than its been. All new starters better step up and prove a lot of folks wrong if that's gonna happen.

I think you're going to see Illinois senior transfer TJ Neal, Tre' Williams and Jeffery Holland holding their own, but you're right, that's the one position that I'm most concerned about in regards to SEC caliber depth.

I think TJ Neal will do very well for us. Possibly the best LB we have had in years. JMO but I think his stats speak for themselves and what they will mean for our D. Maybe he won't be an all SEC performer but I think he can give us better play than what we have seen post Josh Bynes which is a big step in the right direction.

I think TJ Neal will do very well for us. Possibly the best LB we have had in years. JMO but I think his stats speak for themselves and what they will mean for our D. Maybe he won't be an all SEC performer but I think he can give us better play than what we have seen post Josh Bynes which is a big step in the right direction.

Agree. We don't need for TJ Neal to be All-SEC, we just need for him to be better than what we had last year and not cause our LB position to be so much of a liability that the defense has to hide.

I think you're going to see Illinois senior transfer TJ Neal, Tre' Williams and Jeffery Holland holding their own, but you're right, that's the one position that I'm most concerned about in regards to SEC caliber depth.

I think the D-Line, which could be elite this year, will also do it's part to take some pressure off the linebackers. They still need to perform, but they won't be required to cover for deficiencies on the line.

The only issue I see is continuity. We are on DC number 5 in 6 seasons. I know CKS runs a similar D to Muschamp, but it is still a different philosophy. CKS more readily uses the blitz to get pressure, it will be curious if this is necessary with our current DL. I hope that most of those issues are ironed out this spring, but it still presents a hurdle. Otherwise, personnel wise we are in possibly the best place we have been in defensively in a while. We have a lot of returning experience instead of relying on incoming freshmen.

I'm sure hoping the defense can come together an play effectively. But remember, there were high hopes for the defense last year, with Lawson, Adams, experienced guys behind them, Countess arriving, etc.

I really don't think the problem has been lack of talent on defense. Sure, losing Lawson hurt. But the real problem (IMO) for the defense over the past few years has been the constant churn in defensive coaching and a new system for guys to learn every year.

And I'm concerned that this will occur again next season, as guys struggle to digest a new system.

I'm hoping beyond hope that my feeling is wrong about this. I really miss the hard nosed defenses of the past.

As to the OP's notion of a rushing attack on offense, I sure hope it's not going to revert to a "run-run-run-run-fling it a mile down the field and pray" type of offense. We now have a very solid receiving corps with some very highly rated guys. I'm hoping they can run routes and catch the ball. If so, they will not be happy if their only role is to block.

So, here's hoping the defense does indeed play great ball next season, and a QB steps up to excel with those fine RBs.

I think you're going to see Illinois senior transfer TJ Neal, Tre' Williams and Jeffery Holland holding their own

For the thousandth time, Holland doesn't play LB. He's a passing down DE.

Carlton davis is the best player on the team. I bet he snags first team all sec and possibly all american. Just an opinion. Steele hasn't forgot how to coach. Should be a great defense

Second? People have said he was easily the best player on D

Hopefully they will continue to get better each year. While I do believe we are upgrading the talent on D still don't think it as it the level that is needed to win SEC games without about 28 to 30 pts per game from the offense. I know we have a transfer coming but LB is still a question mark. D line has shown spots of domination but not on every down. Lawson has to stay healthy and someone else has to prove they can rush the passer. DB is talented and has depth. At the moment no real questions there.

Again hopefully improved but I don't think they are the hold good teams under 17 pts good.

*Knocks on wood*

Got that right. Ever since the 2012 year when everybody knew just how elite our o line was going to be I can't say I know anything about a player until he gets on the field

Well it's all subjective. I've seen people say many things, especially when caught up in the moment

Well it's all subjective. I've seen people say many things, especially when caught up in the moment

That Carl Lawson dude is supposed to be pretty good, I hear.

As for the suggestion that our D is primed for a breakout year, I'm more cautious than optimistic, even if I'm cautiously optimistic. I think we'll be better on the line and in the secondary. The big question mark is how the LBs will perform. Good opportunity to see what coach T-Will can do, if you ask me.

If anybody else besides Lawson can pass rush the d line will be better. Don't see too many people talk about it but D Russell had a very strong redshirt freshman year. If he keeps improving that would be awesome

That Carl Lawson dude is supposed to be pretty good, I hear.

As for the suggestion that our D is primed for a breakout year, I'm more cautious than optimistic, even if I'm cautiously optimistic. I think we'll be better on the line and in the secondary. The big question mark is how the LBs will perform. Good opportunity to see what coach T-Will can do, if you ask me.

Well I'm going by what was said that " C Davis is the best player on D in practice and that's including Lawson."

Think wde said that (could be wrong) I can't say I agree with that one personally though. I also remember after Davis was burnt a couple of times against jax st some saying he wasn't good (and that's being nice)

I'm personally waiting to see with Lawson. If he is at the same level physically for the Clemson game as he was for the Lousiville game then yes I think he is the best player on our D, but will he be able to get to that point again after 2 injuries? I'm not so sure yet but I hope so. Lawson was the buzz of last years practices and I've heard a lot of good things about Carlton this year. Everybody talks about Cartlon's coverage but watching some of the games midway in the season to the end his run support was pretty dang good.

I think in the jax state game a lot of people were frustrated with not only the teams performance but also Carlton didn't look for the ball at all in that game, given it was only his second game, but who knew he would get better at such a fast rate? Because he got exponentially better every game. I personally was very critical of Carlton during that game but nothing ugly.

Archived