Auburn with shot at Sugar Bowl

abw0004

This is true, but as long as we are comparing it is worth noting that UF's offense was much healthier than ours was.  

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A Will Grier would've at least made the margin half as bad imo. 

I call a transferred Will Grier with a healthy Sean White ?

12 hours ago, Auskip said:

Yep, even my wife agrees that Florida has got to drop a few notches after THAT blowout!

Feel like I should take a shower after rooting for the Turds though.

i have a neighbor that hollers roll you know what every single time he sees me outside after the iron bowl. he is so annoying i told him to enjoy that victory while our main guys were hurt. the dude acts like he suited up for the turds or something. anyway after the first dozen times he hollered at me i began to wish he would choke on his words. and i am pretty sure he has never been to turdville for a game in his life. so when does it quit becoming a college war cry and ends up being harassment? i swear bad things cross my mind when he opens his mouth. i just hope i have the strength to hold on..................and i will never pull for the turds except maybe against ohio state. they are the worst of the worst of college fans.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have a neighbor that hollers roll you know what every single time he sees me outside after the iron bowl. he is so annoying i told him to enjoy that victory while our main guys were hurt. the dude acts like he suited up for the turds or something. anyway after the first dozen times he hollered at me i began to wish he would choke on his words. and i am pretty sure he has never been to turdville for a game in his life. so when does it quit becoming a college war cry and ends up being harassment? i swear bad things cross my mind when he opens his mouth. i just hope i have the strength to hold on..................and i will never pull for the turds except maybe against ohio state. they are the worst of the worst of college fans.

The Force is strong with this One...

9 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

We had 182 yards of offense, while Florida had 261 yards. 

Florida's offense actually drove the length of the field multiple times and scored touchdowns. We had one drive by our offense where we drove the length of the field in the 3rd quarter that got us a FG. None of our other offensive drives where we had to drive the length of the field resulted in points. We got 9 of our points because of a punt return and the 2 interceptions. We didn't score a touchdown, even when the special teams and defense tried to set the offense up with good field position. I'm sorry but trying to quibble about Florida's offense having 0 rushing yards is a moot point.

Now if you want to compare defenses, then that's a different story. Our defense played way better than Florida's defense did. I know Florida's QB threw 3 interceptions and they had a punt blocked, but Florida's defense didn't hold up as well as our's did. Alabama's offense still scored scored a lot without the help of turnovers. When Florida got stopped on 4th down at the 2 yard line in the 3rd quarter, Alabama's offense answered with a 98 yard touchdown drive making it 40-16 and basically ending any chance Florida had of keeping the game close.

Simply stating one statistical fact, and ZERO is ridiculously bad.  Reality is that both teams (Auburn and Florida) got the hell beat out of them.  Which one was uglier will most likely just come down to the final score because neither team threatened to get a "W'.  Our guys simply wouldn't give in defensively.  Offensively we were doomed from the start and Malzahn, while gutless scheme wise, may come out looking like a genius since he will likely get the Sugar Bowl bid tonight as the SEC's perceived second best team.  

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

OU because of 2004.

And 1972! Got caught in the middle of the Okie band laying "Boomer Sooner" outside the stadium before the game. That was the old Tulane stadium, before all these new-fangled domes came into vogue. Sitting in my end zone seat before the kickoff, the Oklahoma team was warming up in front of us. My buddy turned to me and said :"We're in trouble". Those guys were huge!

Besides, that was our first look at the Wishbone. A few days before the game I asked AU assistant coach Sam Mitchell if we were going to stop that Wishbone. He said "Probably not, we can't stop the scout team when they run it." It was 40-6 OU before they called the dogs off, we finally scored some more on their third team defense and it ended up 40-22, but it could have been as bad as they wanted it to be.

The only good thing abut that day was Nebraska whupped bammer in the Orange Bowl.

8 minutes ago, AFTiger said:

Of course injuries had nothing to do with our lack of offense. It was Gus's fault.

While injuries played a MAJOR role in the end of season performance, Gus' mismanagement of the rest of the team and play calling was equally detrimental

No ,it was not Gus' fault for QB injuries. I understand your response to the prior comment, but Gus IS responsible for playing 3 QBs in the opening game (with all healthy), and only throwing one pass to the TE in 12 games (and it was a wideopen TD), and who allowed the play call of using the FB to throw a pass, and never allowing your running QB to throw a pass in other games to get used to throwing (and who threw the longest pass in the IB for us).

So, I am just adding that our offense issues were more than injuries. There needs to be a better plan for next year, if RL stays or a better OC who knows how to use all the offensive players and schemes to be successful.

Wow 79 extra yards makes a huge difference. They got a whole 4 more points than we did. 

They also gave up 24 more points, including the most points scored in the first half of an SEC Championship game in 25 years, and all of it at a neutral site as opposed to playing in BDS. Aside from the fact that they won the East, which is pretty meaningless at this point, how would anyone really judge Florida to be the better team? We'd have to move down significantly for Florida to jump ahead of us after that beat down yesterday. Bottom line, if the committee decides to somehow rank the gators ahead of us tonight, it will be because they had planned it all along and not due to the on field results.

On 12/2/2016 at 11:31 AM, Tiger said:

I don't want to see Bama play an offense like UM's. You gotta bring some firepower to the table to beat Bama. You can't out-Bama Bama. It just doesn't work.

But Washington is going to be in for a rude awakening when/if they line up against Bama. They haven't seen a defense like that. Really nobody outside of the SEC has, but those Pac12 guys truly have no idea what happens in SEC country.

Our best bet is Clemson gets revenge on Bama from last year. Deshaun Watson will make things happen. I think Clemson can beat Alabama actually, even though they have looked stuck in the mud this year. 

Michigan wouldn't line up and go head to head with Bama by out Bama(ing) Bama right now.  Still too many of Brady Hokes players still on the team.  Just wait till that team is filled with CJH kids.  Things just got a lot tougher for Bama to pull in every #1 player. 

You are right,  over here on the left coast,  they havent seen anything close to that Alabama defense... Not for years,  if EVER! 

And I'm sorry,  but how would Clemson  beating Alabama be any Vindication for us? Sure I'd like to see that happen.  But seeing it happen won't make me feel one bit better about how the season turned out... Not with knowing that going into the UGA debacle we controlled our own  destiny. 

20 hours ago, AUeng said:

A matchup with OU is likely more meaningful to most Auburn fans—for the reason ellitor mentioned, if nothing else. It would also be our shot at evening the record (see '71 season Sugar Bowl).

I'll enjoy either matchup. I have several friends and co-workers who are big football fans and alumnus of either OU or OSU, so either way it will be interesting for me. I've never been to Stillwater, but from what I understand (and in some cases have observed), their fanbase/culture is much more similar to AU than that of OU.

Yeah they are.  They are the red headed step child in that state.  Similar how Auburn is in Alabama...  It's difficult being school #2 in the state. 

15 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Unless I'm way out in left field, it looks like we'll be playing Oklahoma in the 2017 Sugar bowl. Oklahoma is 10-2 & Auburn is 8-4.

One fish two fish,  red fish blue fish. What do the records have to do with the price of guano in China? Better yet... Well nevermind, it would just go over your head... 

11 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

We had 182 yards of offense, while Florida had 261 yards. 

Florida's offense actually drove the length of the field multiple times and scored touchdowns. We had one drive by our offense where we drove the length of the field in the 3rd quarter that got us a FG. None of our other offensive drives where we had to drive the length of the field resulted in points. We got 9 of our points because of a punt return and the 2 interceptions. We didn't score a touchdown, even when the special teams and defense tried to set the offense up with good field position. I'm sorry but trying to quibble about Florida's offense having 0 rushing yards is a moot point.

Now if you want to compare defenses, then that's a different story. Our defense played way better than Florida's defense did. I know Florida's QB threw 3 interceptions and they had a punt blocked, but Florida's defense didn't hold up as well as our's did. Alabama's offense still scored scored a lot without the help of turnovers. When Florida got stopped on 4th down at the 2 yard line in the 3rd quarter, Alabama's offense answered with a 98 yard touchdown drive making it 40-16 and basically ending any chance Florida had of keeping the game close.

I agree.  Now while they couldn't run the ball to save their lives,  they at least had a QB who wasn't gimp and could complete a pass. 

1 hour ago, AFTiger said:

Of course injuries had nothing to do with our lack of offense. It was Gus's fault.

This is also true. However every team has injuries. Every single one.  We seem to be one of the only ones who seem totally lost when that happens... I mean it's like there wasn't anything remotely close to a backup plan...just in case... 

@Auburn2Eugene my point was not Clemson beating Bama would have any type of vindication for us, it truly doesn't, but my point of view was from a "who can beat Bama?" perspective. At this point a bama loss in the playoffs is some sort of victory for me as I want nothing more than for Bama's run to end and that can't happen if they are still winning titles

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

@Auburn2Eugene my point was not Clemson beating Bama would have any type of vindication for, it truly doesn't, but my point of view was from a "who can beat Bama?" perspective. At this point a bama loss in the playoffs is some sort of victory for me as I want nothing more than for Bama's run to end and that can't happen if they are still winning titles

I hope someone gets them but of the three teams we suspect will be in the playoff I really can't see any of them beating bama.  I guess Clemson would have the best shot but they still feel like a long shot.  

As for the Sugar Bowl, I hope Gus can put together a coherent plan hopefully with a healthy SW and KP and give us a chance to win.  As hard as I have been on him a win over OU would certainly change the look of the season somewhat and at least give us doubters some amount of hope for next year. 

59 minutes ago, Tiger said:

@Auburn2Eugene my point was not Clemson beating Bama would have any type of vindication for us, it truly doesn't, but my point of view was from a "who can beat Bama?" perspective. At this point a bama loss in the playoffs is some sort of victory for me as I want nothing more than for Bama's run to end and that can't happen if they are still winning titles

I would love it if some one would end their streak just to shut the 75% or so of their fans who have never even set foot on their campus up. Unfortunatly I just don't see it happening. Washington has not seen a team this year with the size or speed that Bama has on both sides of the ball, it will be ugly for them. Clemson is weaker than they were last year and Ohio State's JT Barrett can run hot and cold. Their D can keep them in the game for a while like we did, but their O has to play perfect and Barrett has not had a complet run and pass game all year. 

That's pretty much where I'm at, I'm sick and tired of the amount of bandwagon fans this run is creating. It is now worse than Florida and tebow's bandwagon wave was when I lived in Florida during that time. Everyday I feel I'm learning that someone else is a Bama fan, the ones that weren't quite sure if they were fans the past two years are back to being fans, a bunch of ex-UF fans in the area are now tide fans, etc. 

With how close we kept the game for a majority of the time in 2015, I did expect a better effort this year from an offensive standpoint. 

Regarding Bama in the playoffs, I think Clemson poses the biggest threat. I know a lot will disagree with that but with that Watson-Williams back shoulder throw, good luck on stopping them unless Watson airs it too deep/short and it's picked off. Much like the Manziel-Evans and Garcia-Alshon tandems that have wrecked havoc on Bama in the past. If Clemson is "on" they can beat Bama. I'd say give hurts an INT for every two Watson will throw will keep the game more even.

Auburn vs Oklahoma, I like. If Gus and Rhett don't use this month wisely and prepare us for a good Oklahoma team, it could be ugly. But with a healthy backfield and a good game plan, auburn has a sugar bowl victory against a big time opponent. As their rush defense should play right into our strength.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I get that. I do.  Like I said, I want to see someone beat them as well. 

However someone beating Bama isn't a victory for me. And it isn't one for Auburn. That just seems like Bama envy to me.  Let me be clear, I am not saying you are envious of Bama. And like I said I want nothing more than to see that smug look wiped right off $abans face. I want to see West Vance lose every single game. But it's no victory for me to see them lose.  

16 minutes ago, Charhair said:

That's pretty much where I'm at, I'm sick and tired of the amount of bandwagon fans this run is creating. It is now worse than Florida and tebow's bandwagon wave was when I lived in Florida during that time. Everyday I feel I'm learning that someone else is a Bama fan, the ones that weren't quite sure if they were fans the past two years are back to being fans, a bunch of ex-UF fans in the area are now tide fans, etc. 

With how close we kept the game for a majority of the time in 2015, I did expect a better effort this year from an offensive standpoint. 

Regarding Bama in the playoffs, I think Clemson poses the biggest threat. I know a lot will disagree with that but with that Watson-Williams back shoulder throw, good luck on stopping them unless Watson airs it too deep/short and it's picked off. Much like the Manziel-Evans and Garcia-Alshon tandems that have wrecked havoc on Bama in the past. If Clemson is "on" they can beat Bama. I'd say give hurts an INT for every two Watson will throw will keep the game more even.

Auburn vs Oklahoma, I like. If Gus and Rhett don't use this month wisely and prepare us for a good Oklahoma team, it could be ugly. But with a healthy backfield and a good game plan, auburn has a sugar bowl victory against a big time opponent. As their rush defense should play right into our strength.

You are spot on my friend.  Well said. On both points. 

Archived