offense is 'gonna sling it'

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, because Gus Malzahn's calling card is an effective passing attack in the red zone.

Todd, Cam, Marshall and his QBs at Tulsa and Arkansas State were all good at it. 

His last 2 QBs were not. 

That will change back with Stidham. 

And it will be a big reason why we'll have double digit wins because we won't have to rely on just the run in the red zone. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

You're underestimating our new starting QB. 

We'll be 10-1 before the Iron Bowl and that game will decide the West, SEC and one of the four playoff participants. 

And it'll be because of our immense upgrade at QB. 

You speak in extremes. Got it.

If we get to 10-1 going into the Iron Bowl, it will have as much to do with health, upgraded play calling, a cohesive offensive line, upgraded TE and more experience at WR- and RB, and HB for that matter- as it does with Stidham.

Blaming our record last year on Sean White's abilities as a quarterback is... odd. 

7 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Regardless of which QB gets the nod, can we just agree on teaching them how to slide or get out of bounds instead of running full steam into defenders? That would be nice.

Yes, running with a full head of steam into LBs would not be advised.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:21 PM, McLoofus said:

Blaming our record last year on Sean White's abilities as a quarterback is... odd. 

Now look who's being diplomatic. 

On 2/19/2017 at 1:04 PM, DAG said:

Yes . Teams like Alabama are consistently exploited by teams with a QB who can move relatively well, but also can throw on their secondary . The only time I can think of a team totally opposing their will on them by running was our 2013 squad .

Ezekiel Elliott says hi.

Let's look at this from a different way.  What do the game tapes of Arizona St. when they lost show? (Other than the score...haha). What was the defensive scheme used against them during those loses? As long as Lindsey learned from those loses and understands that is what Bama, LSU and Georgia will look at and exploit, then we should be ok for the first year or two until defenses adjust. 

On 2/27/2017 at 2:44 PM, wde1968 said:

Ezekiel Elliott says hi.

So does 12 gauge.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Stidham will sling it all over the field as long as Chip is in full control of the QB's.

And assuming our OL gel and play to their expectations

On 2/24/2017 at 4:49 PM, lionheartkc said:

You're underestimating our current QB.  Had he not have been hurt, and had Gus started him from game 1, we could have easily been 10-1 before the Iron Bowl and played our way into the playoffs. 

Cam could have gotten injured on any of the many shoulder shots he gave defenders throughout 2010 and our undefeated National Championship season would have been down the drain, but he didn't. 

White, a pocket passer, has yet to complete 8 consecutive games without injury. 

Injuries are apart of the game.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:21 PM, McLoofus said:

You speak in extremes. Got it.

If we get to 10-1 going into the Iron Bowl, it will have as much to do with health, upgraded play calling, a cohesive offensive line, upgraded TE and more experience at WR- and RB, and HB for that matter- as it does with Stidham.

Not blaming last season on any one player. We won all our games against poor defenses. When we faced quality defenses, minus LSU, we lost. 

Health is always apart of a successful season. We return 3 solid OLs and 2 solid RBs. 

I truly feel Stidham will be the difference because when our run game gets limited against quality defenses, he will get us critical 1st downs and TDs, instead of relying on Carlson to bail us out of a stalled drive.

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Cam could have gotten injured on any of the many shoulder shots he gave defenders throughout 2010 and our undefeated National Championship season would have been down the drain, but he didn't. 

White, a pocket passer, has yet to complete 8 consecutive games without injury. 

Injuries are apart of the game.

Cam is a freak of nature at the QB position. 90% of QBs can't take the kind of beating he can. And, by the way, Cam did get injured. That's why he had an off game during the championship.

White is a pocket Passer who was asked to and did run for over 150 yards, many of which converted 3rd downs. As I've said before Carl Lawson was hurt multiple times in his career... do you want to question his toughness or ability to play a full season?

On 3/5/2017 at 10:11 PM, lionheartkc said:

Cam is a freak of nature at the QB position. 90% of QBs can't take the kind of beating he can. And, by the way, Cam did get injured. That's why he had an off game during the championship.

White is a pocket Passer who was asked to and did run for over 150 yards, many of which converted 3rd downs. As I've said before Carl Lawson was hurt multiple times in his career... do you want to question his toughness or ability to play a full season?

Cam didn't get injured against Oregon until 10:08 left in the game, thus he had more than 3 quarters of healthy action, so definitely not why he had an off game, which 20 of 34 for 265 yards and 2 TDs cannot be deemed an off game, even by Cam standards. Plus he went 2 of 4 after the injury, so the shot he took to his back did not keep him off the field nor dramatically alter his accuracy. I only used Cam as an example because of so many shots he gave defenders.

There have been starting Auburn QBs that managed to avoid injury for extended lengths of time in recent history. Jason Campbell played injury free for about 3 seasons total in a 4 year span. Brandon Cox, minus a shot he took against LSU in 2006 which did not result in any lost action, played injury free for 3 seasons. Nick Marshall, minus a minor bump he took against Ole Miss in 2013, and stayed out the following game against Western Carolina because he wasn't needed, played injury free for 2 seasons in a zone read offense.

My point is we have to have durability at the starting QB position. We cannot afford to have White, as the season starter, go down mid to late season again when Georgia and Alabama are so important, then hope Stidham pulls a Patrick Nix 1993 Iron Bowl or Cardale Jones 2014 performance and rescue our 2017 season. In other words, Stidham must be the season starter for more reasons than talent alone. Yes he got his ankle broken, but it hasn't been this frustrating pattern like White has suffered, call it bad luck, but it is a pattern. Has nothing to do with lack of toughness. It's durability and we need it badly.

12 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

My point is we have to have durability at the starting QB position. We cannot afford to have White, as the season starter, go down mid to late season again when Georgia and Alabama are so important, then hope Stidham pulls a Patrick Nix 1993 Iron Bowl or Cardale Jones 2014 performance and rescue our 2017 season. In other words, Stidham must be the season starter for more reasons than talent alone. Yes he got his ankle broken, but it hasn't been this frustrating pattern like White has suffered, call it bad luck, but it is a pattern. Has nothing to do with lack of toughness. It's durability and we need it badly.

I don't disagree with a single word of that. 

Cam didn't get injured against Oregon until 10:08 left in the game, thus he had more than 3 quarters of healthy action, so definitely not why he had an off game, which 20 of 34 for 265 yards and 2 TDs cannot be deemed an off game, even by Cam standards. Plus he went 2 of 4 after the injury, so the shot he took to his back did not keep him off the field nor dramatically alter his accuracy. I only used Cam as an example because of so many shots he gave defenders.

Cam came into the game with an injured back. No one actually knows when he actually was first injured because Cam makes Sean look like an amateur when it comes to covering up being hurt.

There have been starting Auburn QBs that managed to avoid injury for extended lengths of time in recent history. Jason Campbell played injury free for about 3 seasons total in a 4 year span. Brandon Cox, minus a shot he took against LSU in 2006 which did not result in any lost action, played injury free for 3 seasons. Nick Marshall, minus a minor bump he took against Ole Miss in 2013, and stayed out the following game against Western Carolina because he wasn't needed, played injury free for 2 seasons in a zone read offense.

There are LOTS of QBs that avoid injury mostly because they don't run the ball (Jason Campbell, Brandon Cox) and there are some who avoid major injury but still get banged up because they are throwing themselves in harms way (Nick Marshall).  There are also lots of players in the trenches that get hit on most plays who never get hurt and lots who do.  It's not a matter of being injury prone, in a lot of cases, just a matter of how they were hit and where they were hit. In the case of Auburn, I think we have issues in our strength and conditioning, especially when it comes to flexibility training, because we had 12 players out with injuries (including nearly all of our running backs) and a handful more playing hurt at the end of the season. The same can be said for 2015, to a somewhat lesser extent.

The first half of your thesis is correct (though less so, now that we have a solid 1&2 at QB), but the second half of your thesis it completely flawed.  Yes, we need a durable QB, even though we have a solid back-up, but there is no way to know if Sean is fragile, unlucky, some combination, or if we just need to adjust our conditioning (I lean toward the latter). At the same time, there's no way to know if Jarrett is any better in this regard since he lasted a whole 3 starts before being injured at Baylor. You assume that was a fluke, but you can't know it was, because he hasn't played another season. Just like you assume Sean's is a pattern, but you ignore the fact that Lawson had a very similar pattern and then owned the field, last year, and is now owning the combine. 

Bottom line, you are making a lot of assumptions to try to prove your point, which, in fact, proves nothing.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

but there is no way to know if Sean is fragile, unlucky, some combination, or if we just need to adjust our conditioning (I lean toward the latter)

Aside from conditioning, I think Sean could benefit from studying Aaron Murray's film from his time at Georgia.  Perfect example of how and when to scramble, and how to preserve your body in doing so.  I like the fight Sean has, but he definitely needed to understand that him being in the game with his arm is more important than any play he could make with his legs.

26 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Aside from conditioning, I think Sean could benefit from studying Aaron Murray's film from his time at Georgia.  Perfect example of how and when to scramble, and how to preserve your body in doing so.  I like the fight Sean has, but he definitely needed to understand that him being in the game with his arm is more important than any play he could make with his legs.

Murray evolved in that regard, I'd say. He got banged up plenty as a youngster, too. Of course, Nick Fairley was responsible for some-dat  >:D

13 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Cam came into the game with an injured back. No one actually knows when he actually was first injured

This is the first I've ever heard of this. You'll have to provide proof as I do not believe it. There is no doubt his back was injured at the 10:08 mark in the 4th quarter as he grimaced heavily. Chizik alluded to it in the presser as he told reporters "Cam needs to go (get x-rays)." If his back had been injured prior to the game, why would he need to get x-rays after the game? I'm calling 100% BS until you provide proof.

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

There are LOTS of QBs that avoid injury mostly because they don't run the ball (Jason Campbell, Brandon Cox) and there are some who avoid major injury but still get banged up because they are throwing themselves in harms way (Nick Marshall).  There are also lots of players in the trenches that get hit on most plays who never get hurt and lots who do.  It's not a matter of being injury prone, in a lot of cases, just a matter of how they were hit and where they were hit. In the case of Auburn, I think we have issues in our strength and conditioning, especially when it comes to flexibility training, because we had 12 players out with injuries (including nearly all of our running backs) and a handful more playing hurt at the end of the season. The same can be said for 2015, to a somewhat lesser extent.

So you're saying that because White was asked to run a designed run once or twice a game is the reason he's been hurt so often? His scramble run against Oklahoma that resulted in injury was a passing play. I don't recall him running a designed run and getting injured. The majority of his injuries have happened on a called pass play, not a designed run. Please provide proof otherwise.

I recall Jason Campbell running a few scrambles and he never got injured.

The point is our starting QB the last 1 1/2 years has completely deflated our team's chances of SEC Championship hopes due to injury. We need durability.

Would you buy a car without a warranty if the dealer told you your car would break down every single year? It sounds like you've bought your perfect looking car on the outside and hoped it would last a full year in spite of the dealer's warning.

11 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The first half of your thesis is correct (though less so, now that we have a solid 1&2 at QB), but the second half of your thesis it completely flawed.  Yes, we need a durable QB, even though we have a solid back-up, but there is no way to know if Sean is fragile, unlucky, some combination, or if we just need to adjust our conditioning (I lean toward the latter). At the same time, there's no way to know if Jarrett is any better in this regard since he lasted a whole 3 starts before being injured at Baylor. You assume that was a fluke, but you can't know it was, because he hasn't played another season. Just like you assume Sean's is a pattern, but you ignore the fact that Lawson had a very similar pattern and then owned the field, last year, and is now owning the combine. 

Bottom line, you are making a lot of assumptions to try to prove your point, which, in fact, proves nothing.

You're assuming that if the starter goes down, his backup can immediately come in and resume the team's success. Again I reference Patrick Nix (in one game) and Cardale Jones (in three games) who have been the only two QBs in my memory who have rescued a perfect or National Championship season in the last 25 years of D1A College Football. If there's a 3rd, please state who and what season. The point being, the chances of that happening in the last 3 games of the season again are so minuscule, "solid 1&2 at QB" are not worth noting.

No way of knowing if White is fragile or unlucky? He's only been injured 4 times in 1 1/2 seasons of starting. How many times does your beloved car need to break down before you get rid of it at any cost?

Lawson was injured twice in 2 seasons. So just 2 injuries in 4 seasons. That's not a pattern. Same stats as Cadillac Williams (2001 and 2002). Plus DEs don't define or determine season successes. QBs do.

Stidham's lone injury was a break. Only 1 of White's 4 injuries has been a break. The other 3 have been normal pocket passing game bumps for a QB. Call it bad luck, poor conditioning, assumptions, whatever you want to call it or dream up, but the fact is he is fragile. Why continue to own that car and sell it to us as solid as a rock and it will never happen again? No one, minus you, is buying that car.

5 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

This is the first I've ever heard of this. You'll have to provide proof as I do not believe it. There is no doubt his back was injured at the 10:08 mark in the 4th quarter as he grimaced heavily. Chizik alluded to it in the presser as he told reporters "Cam needs to go (get x-rays)." If his back had been injured prior to the game, why would he need to get x-rays after the game? I'm calling 100% BS until you provide proof.

Since it's been 7 years, I can't find the story that stated he came into the game injured and might have been injured for more of the season, but you can read the article here where he said to an interviewer, after the game, that it wasn't just that hit... http://www.espn.com/college-football/bowls10/columns/story?id=6010585&columnist=wilbon_michael

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Since it's been 7 years, I can't find the story that stated he came into the game injured and might have been injured for more of the season, but you can read the article here where he said to an interviewer, after the game, that it wasn't just that hit... http://www.espn.com/college-football/bowls10/columns/story?id=6010585&columnist=wilbon_michael

So you have no proof. Thanks for playing.

12 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

So you have no proof. Thanks for playing

Are you in politics, because your really great a denial, spin, and preaching opinion as fact. You should meet Viper and Willy Guns. You'll be fast friends.

Archived