Monty Adams and Carl Lawson Draft talk

GwillMac6

I am guessing Day 2 of the NFL Draft is when they will get selected with a possibility that carl slips to day 3. Monty could go as high as the 2nd rd but most likely will be third round. Carl is projected as high as a third round pick but most likely will be 4th round.  He has been falling some and monty has been trending up I have read. I make this post to say WE GOT to start having some first rounders again. It is SO important to recruiting and being able to pitch to recruits when making our case on why they should come to Auburn. That is ultimately now more than ever what these elite recruits want. Someone who you can sell will get them to the NFL given their good track record.  It has been what a few years since we had 2 in G Rob and Dee Ford in the 2014 draft? Way way too long ago. We also got to start developing more of our 5 stars in to first rounders or at the least second rounders. Look at that high school class of 2013 of other 5 stars  that monty and carl came out of. Using the 247 composite rankings as a guide Monty was the 10th overall player in that class and Carl was 24th. Last year was the first year they could be draft eligible. So far out of the Thirty two 5 stars of that class of those who came out early last year Four were taken in the first round Last year: Robert Nkemdiche, Laremy Tunsil, Vernon Hargreaves and Laquon Treadwell. 7 others who came out early last year were second rounders: Chris Jones, Jaylon Smith, Christian Hackenburg, Derrick Henry, Su'a Cravens, A'Shawn Robinson and Vonn Bell. For this years draft from that class Jonathan Allen OJ Howard and Reuben Foster are all projected to go early first round to mid first round. Tre'davious white another 5 star from the class of 2013 ended up being a first round pick. This class for high school rankings was LOADED with future nfl talent at the top of the rankings.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is a bit shocking to me that there are 30 players in college football who would be taken ahead of Lawson. I often wear orange and blue sunglasses but Lawson could easily be a star in the NFL.

Just now, thaitopher said:

It really is a bit shocking to me that there are 30 players in college football who would be taken ahead of Lawson. I often wear orange and blue sunglasses but Lawson could easily be a star in the NFL.

If Lawson had the measurables of a guy with his talent and skill set he would def go first round. Short arms are a killer for him.

47 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If Lawson had the measurables of a guy with his talent and skill set he would def go first round. Short arms are a killer for him.

This is the issue for him. A little bit of a "tweener" when it comes to his size.

51 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

And this actually ticks me off. That was the biggest downside of Reese Dismukes as well. Guy is named the best center in college football and all they want to talk about is that his arms are like 2 inches shorter than what they want. Who cares?! Put him on the field and he'll get it done!

Now, if I was out there playing center or DE at 5'7 and 165lbs then you could ignore me. Not because my arms aren't as long as someone with less talent.

Sorry.. rant over. lol

1 hour ago, Linayus said:

And this actually ticks me off. That was the biggest downside of Reese Dismukes as well. Guy is named the best center in college football and all they want to talk about is that his arms are like 2 inches shorter than what they want. Who cares?! Put him on the field and he'll get it done!

Now, if I was out there playing center or DE at 5'7 and 165lbs then you could ignore me. Not because my arms aren't as long as someone with less talent.

Sorry.. rant over. lol

College greatness in no way equals NFL greatness. Ask any number of Heisman winners how that worked out for them. Pretty sure Gino Torretta went undrafted.

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

College greatness in no way equals NFL greatness. Ask any number of Heisman winners how that worked out for them. Pretty sure Gino Torretta went undrafted.

7th round I believe

I was looking at some numbers a couple of days ago, based on a hit-piece in al.com that characterized Bama/Auburn as pros vs Joes.

Auburn has had 23 guys selected in the NFL draft since 2009. Yet Auburn had 26 players on NFL rosters last year. More players on NFL rosters than drafted. In comparison, Bama had 55 guys drafted during the same period, but only 35 on rosters. 1/3 of the Bama players who were drafted didn't stick.

This suggests that the NFL teams are just not very good at evaluating talent. When a team like Auburn has more guys on roster than were drafted, it's obvious that teams are using the wrong criteria on draft day.

That said, not enough of Auburn's players are making it into the NFL. When you have top 10 recruiting classes year after year, yet players are not improving enough to even get to the next level, no matter how they get there .... okay, I'll stop there. You know where this goes.

7 minutes ago, AURex said:

Auburn has had 23 guys selected in the NFL draft since 2009. Yet Auburn had 26 players on NFL rosters last year. More players on NFL rosters than drafted. In comparison, Bama had 55 guys drafted during the same period, but only 35 on rosters. 1/3 of the Bama players who were drafted didn't stick.

This suggests that the NFL teams are just not very good at evaluating talent. When a team like Auburn has more guys on roster than were drafted, it's obvious that teams are using the wrong criteria on draft day.

You are right on.   The NFL draft show is all pomp and circumstance.  It's a great show of anticipation to see which player will go first, second, and third rounds.  However, many of these players never do much in the NFL.

More times than not, being a great college football player does not equate to being an NFL star.  I would definitely be looking at other criteria, like mental endurance, to make a decision of who to pick 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

His number of missed sacks and tfl hurt him worse than measurables. 

I hate liking this. You are right . We love carl because he was on our team, but he wasant dominate at all. He missed way more than he made. Holland is just like him.

One thing about carl though is his attitude. Absolutely love his work ethic and that alone will get him a long career in the NFL. I say 2nd round late to the steelers 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I think he did get drafted in the sixth or seventh round, but never amounted to anything in the NFL.

38 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I hate liking this. You are right . We love carl because he was on our team, but he wasant dominate at all. He missed way more than he made. Holland is just like him.

One thing about carl though is his attitude. Absolutely love his work ethic and that alone will get him a long career in the NFL. I say 2nd round late to the steelers 

He is very talented. Nearly unblockable just doesn't finish well. Like a good ball striker that can't make a six foot birdie putt.

Still NO bammers off the board. A defensive player from Tenn., Temple, and OSU all ahead of turd town terrors. Lmao! Process. 

27 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Still NO bammers off the board. A defensive player from Tenn., Temple, and OSU all ahead of turd town terrors. Lmao! Process. 

Damn. Are we really reduced to mocking them for no picks in the top half of the first round?

3 picks since you posted that. 3 in the top 20. Meanwhile we'll have none in the top 62. Smh

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Damn. Are we really reduced to mocking them for no picks in the top half of the first round?

3 picks since you posted that. 3 in the top 20. Meanwhile we'll have none in the top 62. Smh

Personally , I don't think auburn coaches have done a good enough overall job preparing players for the NFL.  Auburn recruits in the top 10 every year, but struggles in developing players

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

That make you feel better about life ?

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

imagegif

6 hours ago, AURex said:

I was looking at some numbers a couple of days ago, based on a hit-piece in al.com that characterized Bama/Auburn as pros vs Joes.

That said, not enough of Auburn's players are making it into the NFL. When you have top 10 recruiting classes year after year, yet players are not improving enough to even get to the next level, no matter how they get there .... okay, I'll stop there. You know where this goes.

Actually I look at it like this. Our coaches did not do close to a good enough job of getting the most out of them in college to warrant being drafted. I think the  2014 team the most disappointing team in recent Auburn history in terms of talent we had on the team which was a lot to the record we had since that 03 team who was pre season number 1. I think that team had a few Undrafted players stick in the NFL in Brandon King and Therezie. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Actually I look at it like this. Our coaches did not do close to a good enough job of getting the most out of them in college to warrant being drafted. I think the  2014 team the most disappointing team in recent Auburn history in terms of talent we had on the team which was a lot to the record we had since that 03 team who was pre season number 1. I think that team had a few Undrafted players stick in the NFL in Brandon King and Therezie. 

Yeah I don't know how that guy came up with that conclusion . I would think the opposite actually . The fact that an NFL team could sign an Auburn University player like Brandon King and get the best out of his skill at the professional level speaks volumes for the NFL . Not Auburn University . Now that doesn't mean NFL scouts or GMs don't miss , however to say they are not very good at evaluating talent is super innacurate . First , these guys draft for needs and schemes majority of the time . Secondly , they aren't just going to throw money at individuals . I wouldn't draft our kids either , if I questioned the measurable and skill set of the kid . However , if you like the potential that much then you bring them in for camp as an unsigned free agent. If they make it good for you . But teams aren't going to waste a draft pick just because that player is from your favorite team. For example, Reese who is a wonderful guy and had quite the collegiate career...you take a poll from Auburn fans when he declared and I am sure they would say he definitely should be drafted , but there is a reason he hasn't made much impact in the league .

11 hours ago, AURex said:

Auburn men believe in work. Hard work. 

Bammers believe in greasy palms.

See what works better in life?

WDE

31 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Also- Gettleman will get Carl in the 2nd round. Calling it now. #KeepPounding

I predict he gets OUR CAM some MUCH needed OL help with "their" cam in Cam Robinson which would be great value in the second round.

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I don't know how that guy came up with that conclusion . I would think the opposite actually . The fact that an NFL team could sign an Auburn University player like Brandon King and get the best out of his skill at the professional level speaks volumes for the NFL . Not Auburn University . Now that doesn't mean NFL scouts or GMs don't miss , however to say they are not very good at evaluating talent is super innacurate . First , these guys draft for needs and schemes majority of the time . Secondly , they aren't just going to throw money at individuals . I wouldn't draft our kids either , if I questioned the measurable and skill set of the kid . However , if you like the potential that much then you bring them in for camp as an unsigned free agent. If they make it good for you . But teams aren't going to waste a draft pick just because that player is from your favorite team. For example, Reese who is a wonderful guy and had quite the collegiate career...you take a poll from Auburn fans when he declared and I am sure they would say he definitely should be drafted , but there is a reason he hasn't made much impact in the league .

Well said! sometimes you got to take off the orange and blue glasses. Brandon King is absolutely a prime example of a guy WE GOT NOTHING OUT OF basically. He was a athletic "freak" and we should of been playing more but woooooof he goes out and becomes a special teams star for the best team in all of pro sports these days currently and gets himself a nfl ring. He will be a special teams captain soon for the pats. He was not "good enough" for Auburn but is good enough for bill belichik. Not a good look for our player development. I agree with you so much on reese! He is a prime example of college success does not always translate to NFL success. He just does not have close to the nfl measurables to even make a active roster let alone start. Does not take away he was great for us and a beast in college.

Archived