Marquis McClain

aubiefifty

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's a recipe for breeding mediocrity. In fact the mark of a good leader in any situation is to bring along people who are better at their job that you were. In order to do that, you have to require more from them then you were able to give. Basically you are saying all great leaders are hypocrites. 

As for not hearing anything negative in bowl practices or the Spring, you can bet McClain heard it, and you can also bet that Kodi felt that going public with it, this time, was a way to make things happen... possibly at the advice of Garner, who's known for such things.

No, I didn't miss the "in my opinion",  I just don't understand why you were even voicing your opinion on Hastings in this discussion, when, as I explained a second time, he was used as an EXAMPLE because he us a walk-on that is playing ahead of recruited players.  There are other threads that discuss whether he belongs on the field or not.

ok... There's this...

and this...

I guess my only response to this is "so?"  Show me where the receivers are failing on the field and I'm 100% with you, but I don't see it. What I see is a young coach who the jury is still out on because he's coached our receivers for a total of 1 year, with a squad of receivers who was better last year than 2015 and is expected to be far better this year.  I don't see how one 3-star receiver not playing as well as he can and getting called out on it is a negative. I also don't see how anyone can have any real opinion of Kodi as a coach with so little to go on. Think of it this way... Kodi is really just a sophomore.

This is where I'm inclined to agree with you.  I hate it when the coaches call a player out in the press. But I also don't know the situation, and it may be the thing that is needed to motivate him. If it works, and the kid makes it to the NFL, who am I to say it was wrong.

Maybe you are special and I should just be nice and walk away from this. I'm beginning to think this may be the case. 

Saying I am not sold on Kodis coaching ability is not saying he sucks. It's saying I'm not seeing it. Maybe it's there and maybe it's not. With 2 entire seasons of coaching WRs, we simply dont know. 

So could you see a visual improvement in our WRs last season? I sure didnt. And I watched every single game.

If you don't see the problem with pushing out our WR coach who happens to also be our ace recruiter because he can't coach WRs well, yet you hire a coach who had a grand total of 1 season coaching WRs (at lesser competition.)  Who also had spent a majority of his coaching career as a GA and a RB coach, and isnt a stud recruiter then i dont know what to say. Perhaps I go back to my first point again.

Saying things like "I also don't see how anyone can have any real opinion of Kodi as a coach with so little to go on. Think of it this way... Kodi is really just a sophomore" shows two things. It shows you either have no concept of reading comprehension, because I haven't made any decision, nor have I voiced it. I said, I'M NOT SOLD. MAYBE IT'S THERE, MAYBE IT'S NOT. 

And you want to talk to me about "breeding mediocrity?" What's it called pushing out a coach who is your ace recruiter for another who isnt half the recruiter, and isnt a truly qualified position coach? What's it called when someone will under no circumstances accept certain coaches because of the negative image it may bring, rather than going out and hiring the absolute best coach on the market? What's it called when upperclassmen gets to play before more gifted guys below him? What's it called when you put a creed before winning football games? I love Auburn with everything I am and I want to see us do our absolute best. I don't want to not hire certain coaches because "oh my, what would the media say." Or "this man doesn't have Auburn values so he can't coach here." THAT my friend is a recipe for breeding mediocrity.

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think that sometimes "more physically gifted" gets confused for "more talented". I guarantee you that the best WR in history was never once the most physically gifted wide receiver on his NFL team. Of course, Hastings is actually one of the quickest guys on the team, but some folks just don't want to hear that.

Curious to hear what our resident coaches think of Kodi's comments. Might not be a big deal at all. #offseason

"Best" is a relative term. There is no set in stone "best."

And often quickness is confused with speed. I'm not talking about cone drills. I'm talking about catching the ball and separating oneself from defenders. Come on man, you know the difference. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Maybe you are special and I should just be nice and walk away from this. I'm beginning to think this may be the case. 

Whenever a discussion devolves into personal attacks, even one as kid gloves as that, then you need to question whether you really believe your own point. And, yes, my mom always told me I was special, so I'd like to believe it's true :)

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So could you see a visual improvement in our WRs last season? I sure didnt. And I watched every single game.

Heck yea I did.  We went from 4-5 drops in the big games, to 1 or 2 .  That alone is worthy of celebration.

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And you want to talk to me about "breeding mediocrity?" What's it called pushing out a coach who is your ace recruiter for another who isnt half the recruiter, and isnt a truly qualified position coach?

So that's what this is really about.  You are upset that Craig is gone and Kodi took his place, so you are predisposed to want Kodi to fail in order to justify that position. One question you might want to ask yourself... if Craig is so great, why is he unemployed? 

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

What's it called when someone will under no circumstances accept certain coaches because of the negative image it may bring, rather than going out and hiring the absolute best coach on the market?

Protecting the values of the institution (and in some cases, avoiding future legal trouble)

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

What's it called when upperclassmen gets to play before more gifted guys below him?

The gifted guys needing time to learn the playbook.

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

What's it called when you put a creed before winning football games?

Realizing that football is a sport and integrity is a way of life.

25 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i

i believe in my heart you are doing the same thing with kodi. mm has been here a year and apparently whatever happened during that year did not bode well for him and the team so kodi changed gears. and you seem to be willing to throw kodi under the bus when he clearly is adjusting from a rb coach to wr's. kodi got his job because they saw talent and a hard working coach. it is just that simple. i doubt few will admit it but i smell sour grapes. i mean come one..how long has craig been a coach?

How long had Craig been a WR coach before being hired as our WR coach? 1 just like Kodi. Craig never should of been the WR coach anyway, he was a QB coach, and had a history of success having his guys drafted. The REAL issue I have is Kodi isnt near the recruiter Craig was. They were both inexperienced in the position we hired them to coach.  I have nothing against Kodi, well before putting McClain on blast like that. Other than the ENORMOUS  recruiting hit we took, my other issue is that it's perfectly fine for a majority of this board to BASH Craig but then turn into sensitive snowflakes when someone criticizes Burns. 

As I've said (NOW) a number of times, I'm just not sold on his coaching ability. Doesnt mean it's not there. It just means I don't see it yet. I don't see the advantage of pushing out our ace recruiter unless we are getting a WR with a resume of putting kids in the league.

Call it sour grapes, call it a jumbo jet. Personally I don't care. 

I just don't agree with putting a freshman on blast like that.

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, also, redshirt kids actually get less coaching than active roster kids, I believe. Because, you know, the coaches spend the season trying to win games...

And Kodi was actually quite consistent as a wide receiver. He was one of our best blockers in an offense that heavily depended upon quality blocking from the receivers, and he usually caught the ball on the rare instances that it wasn't thrown to DA or TZach. He scored a touchdown in a national championship game in which we scored... 2 touchdowns. 

If there is one thing that I won't question his expertise on, it's taking coaching and giving effort. Okay, that's two things. I don't coach math. 

Like i said in my first comment. THIS MEANS NOTHING when it comes to coaching, developing players, and getting your position group into the league.

It's the funniest thing I've ever seen when someone brings up "breeding mediocrity" then says things like football is just a sport.

Do you people not realize we have won 10 games back to back in our history once. Only one single time.

But let's worry about what the media will think, or let's not let him coach here because he may or may not have had something to do with something horrible, or we absolutely cannot hire this coach because he had an affair....

And be sure to talk about "breeding mediocrity" but not recognize what brings it...

Either way, putting McClain on blast like that wasn't the right way to go about it. Maybe let him take a single snap before putting him on blast. 

22 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Either way, putting McClain on blast like that wasn't the right way to go about it. Maybe let him take a single snap before putting him on blast. 

I agree

I fail to see how anyone at Auburn is "breeding mediocrity", but I also agree that the public statement about McClain probably wasn't the best idea, whether it was his own or not.

if i am not mistaken did we not hire porter to take up where craig left off? was he not voted a national recruiter or something like that as well? kodi earned a shot at coaching for being a quality kid and he deserves the benefit of the doubt for a year or two. i am willing to bet the kid needed a fire lit under his butt to motivate him. you call it throwing him under the bus. nossir i disagree. once again i look at it as kodi trying to get the kid doing what he needs to do so he can hopefully get that chance at some big money. he will not get it if he does not get serious. i mean we are talking football players and not girl scouts.the kid has been there a year. from what kodi says he does not know the play book. and calling people names like snowflakes just makes you look bad. and i mean that nice. you do not like what is said so instead of saying we will disagree you had to sneak a little shot in there. you just took the whole argument thing way down a few levels.

I don't consider it blast. The only thing blasphemous was the headline. He didn't call out his character. He called out his skills, understanding and maybe his work ethic but not directly. It's all good. Been too many words wasted here today. 

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's hard for me to believe that Kodi would call out a freshman like that. It's not like Kodi was oozing with consistency during his playing days. 

This is about the stupidest comment I have ever seen on a football message board and that's saying a lot. The fact that you actually try to defend such stupidity...well nm. A coaches "playing days", as you call it, has nothing to do with how he coaches or what he does as a coach. To assert that it does, is just downright moronic. Many great coaches barely even saw the football field - if at all. If you are gonna complain about a coach, at least appear to have a little sense.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think that sometimes "more physically gifted" gets confused for "more talented". I guarantee you that the best WR in history was never once the most physically gifted wide receiver on his NFL team. 

Excellent point.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, also, redshirt kids actually get less coaching than active roster kids, I believe. Because, you know, the coaches spend the season trying to win games...

And Kodi was actually quite consistent as a wide receiver. He was one of our best blockers in an offense that heavily depended upon quality blocking from the receivers, and he usually caught the ball on the rare instances that it wasn't thrown to DA or TZach. He scored a touchdown in a national championship game in which we scored... 2 touchdowns. 

If there is one thing that I won't question his expertise on, it's taking coaching and giving effort. Okay, that's two things. I don't coach math. 

I remember when I tried to explain the redshirt scout team guys as opposed to depth chart guys....I would say don't waste your time with that, but you do have a better board etiquette than me so maybe you'll have more success

IMO kodi gives a good message but he could stand to heed his own words also....because really he was able to walk into a situation with better production from the qb and better overall talent at wr THAT was recruited by the previous coach. He dropped the ball himself on a couple of big time recruits that was thought to be easy targets....maybe Gus should do the same to him

I have been very harsh on Kodi for his lack of recruiting abilities so far but I think this is low risk high reward. He is not calling out any of the perceived starters in our WR rotation. He is calling out a kid who redshirted last year and is most likely pretty far down the WR depth chart still. If it works and he becomes a contributor down the line? great. If it doesn't? O well. We weren't expecting him to be a huge part of the WR rotation to begin with. Hopefully this lights a fire under the kid and we can look back as the turning point in his Auburn career.

53 minutes ago, corchjay said:

My motto in coaching is....

"We aren't  going to do this until we get it right, we are going to do it until we never get it wrong"

My old HS coach said the say thing. He would line us on the 10 yard line and call out plays to run for 10 yards until we reach the end zone. 10 plays to run perfect if a guard pulled the wrong way we start all over. Did that for 1,2 and 3rd teams. Did not stop until all 3 strings got it perfect. You talk about 3rd teams feeling pressure so the 1st string to get off the field.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I remember when I tried to explain the redshirt scout team guys as opposed to depth chart guys....I would say don't waste your time with that, but you do have a better board etiquette than me so maybe you'll have more success

If we combined your knowledge with my etiquette, we'd be unstoppable! Or bigbird...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If we combined your knowledge with my etiquette, we'd be unstoppable! Or bigbird...

I'd love to see 4 people go in on @bigbird at the same time.....Then all his people would come out....it'd be like marvel civil war LOL! 

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'd love to see 4 people go in on @bigbird at the same time.....Then all his people would come out....it'd be like marvel civil war LOL! 

slice_despicable_me_movie_poster_gru_min

Don't hate...

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

My old HS coach said the say thing. He would line us on the 10 yard line and call out plays to run for 10 yards until we reach the end zone. 10 plays to run perfect if a guard pulled the wrong way we start all over. Did that for 1,2 and 3rd teams. Did not stop until all 3 strings got it perfect. You talk about 3rd teams feeling pressure so the 1st string to get off the field.

You coach to obtain perfection anything less is failure.  

To bring it back to Kodi and what he is saying I will use a baseball analogy here.  

Player comes up 5 times in a game score is 0-0 with bases loaded and 1 out.  Each time he swings for the fences and strikes out his first 4 at bats.  His 5th at bat he hits a grand slam to help his team win.  Beats his chest trots the bases and and celebrates mightily.  At the end of the day his batting average is .200 and earlier in the game if he would have just hit a nice easy ground ball to the right side of the field his team may have not needed the heroics in the end.  Maybe that's what Kodi is trying to show him.  The block on the edge to pick of a first down on a running play is just as important as a 15 yard reception to pick up a first down.  

so mr golf did y'all use face masks back then? lol i played football for one year in germany at an american school. i learned to dred the words bull in the ring. i heard that is outlawed now. i sure got my behind kicked in that drill enough.

I hated bull in the ring, especially when the coach would increase the frequency till you got 'earholed' by one player while you were taking on another.  

We had a coach get so mad that he lined players up about 5 yds apart, all facing the runner. He had us run the ball through the entire gauntlet getting tackled each one.  He had another drill where one guy was on an island between 2 cones about 5 yards apart, and about 10-15 yards from the goal line. The rest of the team was in the end zone. Each of them, 250+ linemen included, got a running start with the ball.  When the tackle was made, the next runner was up till everyone had their chance. The defender didn't have the opportunity to close the gap either.  Brutal. 

I still wake up in a cold sweat occasionally. 

25 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I hated bull in the ring, especially when the coach would increase the frequency till you got 'earholed' by one player while you were taking on another.  

We had a coach get so mad that he lined players up about 5 yds apart, all facing the runner. He had us run the ball through the entire gauntlet getting tackled each one.  He had another drill where one guy was on an island between 2 cones about 5 yards apart, and about 10-15 yards from the goal line. The rest of the team was in the end zone. Each of them, 250+ linemen included, got a running start with the ball.  When the tackle was made, the next runner was up till everyone had their chance. The defender didn't have the opportunity to close the gap either.  Brutal. 

I still wake up in a cold sweat occasionally. 

Sounds like one of my high school coaches. He was a very sad man. I don't think his dad loved him very much.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sounds like one of my high school coaches. He was a very sad man. I don't think his dad loved him very much.

Not the drill but the result reminds me of when I first played....I didn't play when I was little and I went to a small school that didn't have a team. My mom gets a job in Huntsville so we move there. As we are driving by a practice i joke about playing and my mom says something that makes me mad. So i decide to play.

So anyway I'm trash in the beginning, weak as water. But as the season goI get pretty good, I become known as a hitter and a pretty good wr, pretty good at jump balls. So I start getting a little cocky right? 

There was a guy on my team that ended up playing for Louisville. I was on offense and the qb threw an interception. Was on the completed opposite field and there was no way I could get to the play so I didn't run after the pick....this guy hit me so hard.....I didn't see it. My chin strap and my mouth piece came off. One of my shoulder pads popped out of my jersey, dirt was in my mouth, my lip was bleeding. I got up and started running to the sidelines they tell me to get my mouth piece when I bend down I get dizzy and fall out again LOL. Hardest I've EVER been hit in my LIFE

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

slice_despicable_me_movie_poster_gru_min

Don't hate...

Hey I can't hate player, just the game!

Archived