Jarrett

War to the Eagle

Jarrett Stidham bags a huge elk as he contemplates NFL

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the heck is he contemplating? Getting some bad advice from someone. I am sure with his measures he would get picked up 3rd or 4th round though.

He came a long way this year from his rocky start at Clemson and he really showed his stuff in the GA and UAT games. But he still has a long way to go in order to be ready for the NFL.

And if he leaves we'll be fine. After the costly fumble and Pick 6 he made in the Peach Bowl, I was ready to see Malik Willis. I think Malik is going to make us forget Stidham.

10 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

He came a long way this year from his rocky start at Clemson and he really showed his stuff in the GA and UAT games. But he still has a long way to go in order to be ready for the NFL.

And if he leaves we'll be fine. After the costly fumble and Pick 6 he made in the Peach Bowl, I was ready to see Malik Willis. I think Malik is going to make us forget Stidham.

If Stidham returns and Gatewood is as advertised, Willis could be odd man out. 

53 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

Doubt it. Gatewood RS, is a FR while Willis starts as a JR. If he’s truly amazing, MAYBE he takes the job as a RS SO, but he’s raw.

54 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

Doubt that. Gatewood has some polishing up to do in the passing venture. 

4 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

But Stidham potentially has two more years. Willis woulf be a senior by then. I doubt he stays that long without playing.

I am starting to think Stidham won't even return next year. But even if he did return and JG RS I don't think he would beat out MW his redshirt freshman year 

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am starting to think Stidham won't even return next year. But even if he did return and JG RS I don't think he would beat out MW his redshirt freshman year 

He def needs to come back. It would not be a smart decision to come out. The QB class this year is loaded. Off the top of my head Rosen, Darnold,  Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker and Mason Rudolph would all be drafted higher than him. The Qb class next year will be a lot more inviting to come out and who knows MAYBE because of on paper the lack of a rb on campus that gus trusts he may throw the ball more than he usually has wanted to in the past so stidham draft stock could rise and so would his numbers. Kirby laid the foundation for the succuess of this year when he recruited his own players to stay in chubb, sony michel, bellamy and carter. I wish Gus could of done a much better job of that this offseason.

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Have to wonder if Gatewood possibly challenging him for his position influences his decision 

Don't think he's worried about that.

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Stidham came a long way from the Clemson game but the SECCG and the Peach Bowl showed he still has a long way to go.

This . He is still raw in my opinion. He needs work. He has the drive and work ethic . I believe He stays 

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Stidham came a long way from the Clemson game but the SECCG and the Peach Bowl showed he still has a long way to go.

His ability to make reads is nowhere near where it needs to be and he needs to be able to make them faster and under pressure. That was his Achilles heel this year. You pressure the guy, and he folded. Being “fortunate” enough to sit in the nosebleeds during the Peach Bowl, I got to see a lot of the plays developing, and there were a lot of open receivers he was missing.

6 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

How many football fans does it take to change a light bulb? 

Three. One to change it and two to talk about how great and bright the next one will be. 

After Jeremy Johnson, I'm on a wait and see with everybody. I don't care if you're a 10 star recruit. Show me on an SEC field and then I'll be sold 

14 hours ago, milehighfan said:

The issue, IMO, is still the inability of our HC to coach a QB.  I don't think Coach Lindsey was allowed to do what he can do with JS this year.  Every QB we have had since GM came back has underachieved.  Marshall got by on his own abilities.  He was not coached to do what he did.  We have to find a way to develop QBs or we will continually have these discussions. 

He needs another year, but in this offense he's a drop-back passer that checks a lot of NFL boxes exposing his body to very high risk having to constantly run out busted plays. Our highly senior OL gave up more sacks than three quarters of the teams in the nation last year. I can't imagine any drop back QB is going to be excited about waiting for a new line to gel next year.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

The issue, IMO, is still the inability of our HC to coach a QB.  I don't think Coach Lindsey was allowed to do what he can do with JS this year.  Every QB We have had since GM came back has underachieved.  Marshall got by on his own abilities.  He was not coached to do what he did.  we have to find a way to develop QBs or we will continually have these discussions  

My personal observation has been that the most successful QBs under Gus were developed by someone else (Cam, Nick, now Stidham). No offense to Gus, but for an "offensive guru and genius," he is not the greatest QB developer.

Jarrett is not ready for the NFL. He showed his potential vs. UGA and Bama, but he showed he still has a ways to go in the SECCG and Peach Bowl.

If someone is giving him bad advice, I'll be pretty surprised because it seems he stopped seeking guidance from those adults. Recently, he's really only name dropped his girlfriend's father as someone he goes to for advice and guidance about his career. And for what it's worth: His girlfriend's dad is the CEO for the Houston Rockets. So I really doubt he's getting poor advice there.

Does Stidham want to take a chance on an inexperienced Oline next year?  Does he want to see how the RBs pan out?  Will our coach learn how to improve a QB and get them draft ready in the next 12 months behind a green Oline?  Will his coaches somehow, someway be able to get more creative with the schemes and play calling to highlight JS's skills?

I don't like to look back and have regrets, but dang it this was the year to make a splash.

8 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Have to wonder if Gatewood possibly challenging him for his position influences his decision 

No. JS is trying to decide if he wants another year in Gus's offense or just take his chances in the NFL. I think JS knows he needs another year but not very confident in the direction of our offense. I don't blame him. 

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

He needs another year, but in this offense he's a drop-back passer that checks a lot of NFL boxes exposing his body to very high risk having to constantly run out busted plays. Our highly senior OL gave up more sacks than three quarters of the teams in the nation last year. I can't imagine any drop back QB is going to be excited about waiting for a new line to gel next year.

Exactly. Which makes his decision more difficult than some may think. 

I'm one of Jarretts biggest fans but he is no where close to being ready for the NFL. I hope he doesn't make the jump, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him leave. I feel our offense doesn't showcase his skills and unless we get a new OL coach, or Hand magically figures out how to actually coach an OL to pass block, he is risking serious injury with a new OL next season. We won't have Golson to plug and play next season...

31 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

My personal observation has been that the most successful QBs under Gus were developed by someone else (Cam, Nick, now Stidham). No offense to Gus, but for an "offensive guru and genius," he is not the greatest QB developer.

He absolutely isn't the best QB developer buy it's difficult (for me) to attribute Nicks development to anyone other than himself. He had his high school coach and 1 season of JC coaching to "develop" him at QB. It's not like Nick was developed at QB during his Georiga days.

Only thing is, would he do this to his coaches? And I mean not tell them sooner so they could possibly add a QB to their recruiting list.  Seems we would be awfully thin with only two on the roster.

Archived