Staggering the uat, Georgia games

toddc

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...but no matter who is our AD, nobody in the SEC is going to vote to make things easier for us.. and vice versa...blaming AU for this situation is a cheap shot IMO.

Did we not have a say in letting this happen in the first place?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Greene?   weak AD?      but of course whoever our AD is...AD's at every other school are looking out for the interests of their teams....and it could be argued that most of the rest of the SEC benefits by AU having those games back to back.  ....so why would they make it easy for AU?    

Greene? He had nothing to do with this. Lets put it this way. David H or Pat Dye would not have let the SEC change the schedule like they did with uga and uat. Jay had no pull and was a yes man. The SEC made the change. You should just take a chair on this one and learn. 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

likely not...

I mean, can you imagine letting 14 AD try to come up with a schedule that everyone can agree on ?  

This is the SEC....we kill our own.....and the more other schools think this is important to AU the less likely a change will happen....and some are probably trying to figure out how to get LSU on our schedule the week before the Georgia game too. ...instead of Tex A and M......well, not sure that would matter I guess..

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

The above quoted article by Crepea says they want to move it. " Both Auburn and Georgia, which is in a similar predicament of playing the Tigers and rival Georgia Tech both at home or on the road each season, previously expressed to the SEC desire to either reverse what was done in 2013 or move the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry up on the calendar..."

I can say with 100% certain that uga does not want to change. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Greene? He had nothing to do with this. Lets put it this way. David H or Pat Dye would not have let the SEC change the schedule like they did with uga and uat. Jay had no pull and was a yes man. The SEC made the change. You should just take a chair on this one and learn. 

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

likely not...

It was a rhetorical question. The schools have a say in scheduling because of course they do.

Though the SEC office sets the schedule for conference games, each team sets its non-conference dates first. Many conference games tend to be played around the same time in the schedule every year. Plus, schools can lobby the league office.

The strategy seemed to work well in 2010 when six SEC teams took a bye week before playing the defending national champion Tide, which lost three of those to South Carolina, LSU and Auburn.

By the way, after 2010, bama petitioned the league about that.

I mean, can you imagine letting 14 AD try to come up with a schedule that everyone can agree on ?  

I can easily imagine that they can all agree on a set of criteria that they think are important in scheduling, and that none of them would want for their own team to be in our shoes in November of even-numbered years. 

I'm not in the "JJ was no good and only bad" camp, and I don't even hate the current scheduling setup, but it seems entirely reasonable to me that a different AD could have avoided this. 

Auburn's record in Tuskaloser is 7-4. We also have a wining record in Athens. The schedule was A-ok until the SEC game got inserted into the mix and the home-away situation was changed. We need to move the UGA game to earlier in the season. That's not optimal, but it solves the major problem we now face at season's end. Currently, we face three brutal games in a period of just four weeks. All that needs to happen is move AU/UGA to sometime in October and plug another, less challenging game into November.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Auburn's record in Tuskaloser is 7-4. We also have a wining record in Athens. The schedule was A-ok until the SEC game got inserted into the mix and the home-away situation was changed. We need to move the UGA game to earlier in the season. That's not optimal, but it solves the major problem we now face at season's end. Currently, we face three brutal games in a period of just four weeks. All that needs to happen is move AU/UGA to sometime in October and plug another, less challenging game into November.

Don't forget the A&M game in that stretch also. Was absolutely brutal. 

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't forget the A&M game in that stretch also. Was absolutely brutal. 

Yep. If the AU- UGA home & home doesn't get reverted back then UGA needs to be moved up to the 3rd Saturday in October so the 2 teams can collectively take some thunder away from their Rivals Bama & the Vols while aTm takes UGA current spot so we have a home game every November for recruiting purposes.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yea... we have one vote just like every other school in the conference. We'll see if Greene has the swagger to rally the majority of the league to stand with us and against the evil empire.

On 5/13/2018 at 9:29 PM, homersapien said:

With all due respect, you are making my point. Why would they fight it?

We are burdened - coincidentally or not - with a disadvantage that is supported by "political" interests instead of common sense and a sense of fair play.

There's really no argument against it. (Obviously not a geographical one :-\  )

So why the ****** not?

(Just to clarify, we keep Bama as our traditional rival and play UGA as part of the divisional schedule)

For my education

?wouldn't UA have to give up their annual UT game in this scenario?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That could work if we could figure out who that less challenging team would be...and which one would be amenable to being our warm-up for the bama game.

Just looking at some other schedules...I notice that USCe plays 3 SEC West teams in a period of 4 weeks with the vols being the forth team in that stretch.....not great.   And LSU gets UF, Uga MSU and bama on consecutive weekends unless one of them can get benefit of a hurricane to cancel one of the games.

Just changing the H and H schedule for either UGa or bama would be good enough since you can't outguess the strength of teams even a year or two in advance.

Well, Auburn has had 6-7 months to prepare their case and get ready to go before the entire conference at the meetings in Destin in 2 weeks.  

Surely to God after the way last season ended, our Administration recognized that a change needs to be made.  Please tell me they were on the ball and petitioned Sankey to get the AU/UGA schedule change & division change on the SEC agenda for discussion.  This should be top priority for AU.

I mean, this isn't just another off-season topic that gets regurgitated over and over and over again with absolutely no energy, enthusiasm, or support from our President & Athletic Director, is it?

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I mean, this isn't just another off-season topic that gets regurgitated over and over and over again with absolutely no energy, enthusiasm, or support from our President & Athletic Director, is it?

Who knows....just saying that if I were an AD from anywhere else in the SEC I would probably laugh at AU complaining about it's schedule...mostly thinking "I've got my own problems and why should I do something to help you? "      ...but I guess you never know....might could swap something of use to them perhaps?   

34 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well, Auburn has had 6-7 months to prepare their case and get ready to go before the entire conference at the meetings in Destin in 2 weeks.  

Surely to God after the way last season ended, our Administration recognized that a change needs to be made.  Please tell me they were on the ball and petitioned Sankey to get the AU/UGA schedule change & division change on the SEC agenda for discussion.  This should be top priority for AU.

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Who knows....just saying that if I were an AD from anywhere else in the SEC I would probably laugh at AU complaining about it's schedule...mostly thinking "I've got my own problems and why should I do something to help you? "      ...but I guess you never know....might could swap something of use to them perhaps?   

Come one, come all!

Step right up for the only real chance to get three, count'em three teams into CFP, all contributing to the post-season $EC pool!

Naaah. Wouldn't work, would it?

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm of your same mind set about this topic.  Every off-season since the expansion we see thread upon thread regarding AU's wish to go East - nothing ever comes of it, to my knowledge it's never even been on the table for a vote at the SEC meetings.  Now we want to move the UGA game earlier in our season to ease the burden of facing another season like last season.  

I'm simply curious to know what preparation and groundwork has been done by the AU Administration.  Have they petitioned the SEC office, specifically Sankey?  Is this on the agenda for discussion in this month's meetings?  What have we done in the area of proposing options to the overall SEC schedule for the future if we change divisions or move the UGA game?  

I'm just wondering is this whole discussion is an exercise in futility?  Because IF nothing has even been presented or discussed on the front end with AU's instigation, then nothing's going to hit the table in Destin in 2 weeks.

I have no issue with the thUga / bammer games being where they are in the schedule.  Been that way as long as I can remember.  ...heck they used to be back to back every year.  At least now there's a soft chewy middle between games.

Just let them play back to back years in Athens to even out the back to back they had in Auburn a few years ago.  Not sure what the league or schools' issue is..

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I have no issue with the thUga / bammer games being where they are in the schedule.  Been that way as long as I can remember.  ...heck they used to be back to back every year.  At least now there's a soft chewy middle between games.

Just let them play back to back years in Athens to even out the back to back they had in Auburn a few years ago.  Not sure what the league or schools' issue is..

They weren't back to back. There used to be a bye week between them. The dynamics changed when the SEC game was inserted into the mix. Bye week or weaksister OOC game, with the SECCG involved, we're still looking at three big games in a four-week period. For a long time we played MSU the week before the Georgia game.

There really is nothing the SEC can do about it if AU wants to schedule our off-week between UGA and UAT, but that still leaves us with three toughies in a four week period if we get to the SEC game.

Does anyone on this board know what Auburn has done to address this issue at the upcoming SEC meetings?  What has Leath/Greene done to ensure our schedule issues are addressed and on the agenda for discussion in the upcoming meetings in 2 weeks?

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They weren't back to back. There used to be a bye week between them. The dynamics changed when the SEC game was inserted into the mix. Bye week or weaksister OOC game, with the SECCG involved, we're still looking at three big games in a four-week period. For a long time we played MSU the week before the Georgia game.

There really is nothing the SEC can do about it if AU wants to schedule our off-week between UGA and UAT, but that still leaves us with three toughies in a four week period if we get to the SEC game.

I beg to differ a bit.. Maybe not if you go back as far as the Dye years but during Tot's regime and at least some of Tubb's time were spent playing them back to back.  And that's WITH the SEC Championship Game on the line.

As for my opinion, I don't care about the back to back...I just wish they'd fix the home and away aspect (which should be easy and agreeable to both AU & UGA).

There is one easy answer to this, join the ACC and tell uga and the turds and the SEC  to go suck eggs. If we threatened them with a move to the ACC it might get there attention.

In Dye's earlier yrs, we took a bye between UG & UA, heck in 1990 we played UG on 11/17 at home and didn't play UA till 12/1 (won the uga/lost to uat that yr.)  In Tot's regime went back to back with no break and same with Tubs.  In 2011 with Chiz we started scheduling a cupcake between UG & UA.  I suppose we added the cupcake in response to UA/Saban scheduling a cupcake before AU for his team and taking a bye mid-season?  Then the expansion screwed everything up and here we are.

So, if we lose to undefeated UGA, beat undefeated Bama, win the west, and beat undefeated UGA in the SECCG. Do all 3 make it to the playoffs?

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So, if we lose to undefeated UGA, beat undefeated Bama, win the west, and beat undefeated UGA in the SECCG. Do all 3 make it to the playoffs?

nope only two........ us and turds cause we beat uga twice....................we all know turds got to get in playoffs

Archived