If Malzahn returns

Swamp Eagle

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Amc If they go they go.  Asa would be my first guess as a guy who bolts.  Coaches may have screwed him over with his redshirt and he’s not even seen the field since Miss State that I’m aware of.  I think I heard that Calvin Ashley isn’t even on campus anymore on that Jay Tate podcast.  Everybody keeps talking about Joey leaving.  If Bo is going to come in and start as a freshman then I’m not sure why any of the Qbs other than Willis would stay.  If I’m Cord I might be checking in with Mullen again because UF needs a decent Qb too.  At this point if they aren’t at Auburn for Auburn then they need to go somewhere they want to be.

That's true, but the bottom line is they will go where there is a coach they believe in, such as Mullen and AU is still left still reeling in mediocrity. I mean, we got beat by two teams, TN and MSU, with first year coaches. There are so many posters on this board that are split about Gus, but how much brighter is the future really looking, as he claims? Six years! This program under him is not growing and progressing. Just my opinion. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

That's true, but the bottom line is they will go where there is a coach they believe in, such as Mullen....

Wait, that guy that won the last Heisman at Auburn, what happened there?

17 Seniors graduating with Hastings returning thanks to a redshirt

Juniors who might transfer: Sal Cannella, Bailey Sharp, Kam Martin.

Juniors who may declare early: Daniel Thomas, Jeremiah Dobson, Javaris Davis, Jamel Dean, Jarrett Stidham, Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson

RS Sophomores who may declare early: Nick Coe

Underclassmen who might should transfer if possible: Asa Martin, Shedrick Jackson, Joey Gatewood, Harold Joiner, Kolbi Fuqua, Devan Barrett, Malik Willis, Marquis McClain, and possibly Malik Miller.

10 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

...what is the over/under for players leaving the program in the off-season? I can't see, for instance, Devan Barrett hanging around much longer.

Thoughts?

Attrition has averaged from 7 to 11 over the years. I call attrition a scholarship player that leaves when he still has eligibility remaining. I use August 1st through July 31 as a year. That 7 to 11 number has been  normal for every team I've ever checked on. Recently, attrition numbers have increased for every team as transfer rules have been made more lax and leaving early for the NFL has become a more common thing.

Recent years attrition from Auburn: Ending July 31 2915=12, 2016=14, 2017=12, 2018=10, so far this year five have left.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Attrition has averaged from 7 to 11 over the years. I call attrition a scholarship player that leaves when he still has eligibility remaining. I use August 1st through July 31 as a year. That 7 to 11 number has been  normal for every team I've ever checked on. Recently, attrition numbers have increased for every team as transfer rules have been made more lax and leaving early for the NFL has become a more common thing.

Recent years attrition from Auburn: Ending July 31 2915=12, 2016=14, 2017=12, 2018=10, so far this year five have left.

It will be interesting what the number is next July 31st....

I hope Stidham goes wherever.  I dont' want Brown and Marlon to leave, but they'd be dumb not to.  I can see Asa and Joey transferring along with some WRs.  High recruits like that aren't going sit on the bench without even being given a shot.

11 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Tre Williams was here for a full 4 years. His issue was more health related.  He is super talented, and was the brain of our defense last year.  But he just got injured often.  Great Auburn guy and happy to have him here this year helping us in recruiting.  

i believe he had 1 more year of eligibility  but are you saying knowing what he knows now he would have left anyway? 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why I said I don't believe that. No worries. 

Also, it’s looking like our recruiting class will take a couple hits regardless of whether Gus stays or goes. The ruthless recruiters like Smart will make our lame duck’s life hard on recruiting trail. 

9 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

i believe he had 1 more year of eligibility  but are you saying knowing what he knows now he would have left anyway? 

Tre Williams played for four years. He didn't have any eligibility left. He was in the same class as fellow LB Deshaun Davis, who redshirted and is a senior this year.

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

It will be interesting what the number is next July 31st....

I'll post it August 1, as I normally do.

13 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

He played as a freshmen so he was not eligible for another year.  And no I am not saying that.  His issue was just health related, always caught bad breaks, mainly in his shoulder.

I think we should shut the program down either way. If Gus stays and doesn't get a good OC he will have run the program into the ground . If he leaves there won't be anything for everyone to complain about so the program will suffer for lack of interest. Either way it looks like the end.

17 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm guessing more would leave if Gus was actually fired though. 

You are correct on this and it's not specific to Gus. Every team that has a coaching change will have an above normal amount of attrition during the first 12 months after the change. It never fails and there are several reasons why this is so.

32 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I think we should shut the program down either way. If Gus stays and doesn't get a good OC he will have run the program into the ground . If he leaves there won't be anything for everyone to complain about so the program will suffer for lack of interest. Either way it looks like the end.

Then some maybe like.....

Image result for not so fast my friend gif

I am so tired of this  "gus show" and putting himself above scrutiny. 

Tired of his attitude,  tired of the glaring holes in recruiting, tired of the lack of player development,  tired of all the obvious micromanagement of the O, tired of AN ANNUAL LOSING RECORD vs the games that count.   For the first time since I became an Auburn fan, I am embarrassed with the direction and the last 5 yrs.   Gus does not learn from his recurring, annual mistakes.

Sure we cut ties with Tubs and Gene, but not after enduring so many dismal years and with no hope in near future.   

I suspect that IF Auburn doesn't get blown out in the Iron Bowl then Gus probably survives. If he stays he needs to give Freeze the keys to the Beemer. I have nothing against most of the offensive staff but something isn't gelling. It's time for fresh blood.

Regarding basketball I am pretty sure one of the reasons Bruce is successful is he tells recruits that he plays a lot of players and if they work hard they will play...and they do!

Gee, I wonder if there are any other coaches at Auburn that would benefit from that approach?

I am totally fed up with the nonsense of a Gus lead team. 

21 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Regarding basketball I am pretty sure one of the reasons Bruce is successful is he tells recruits that he plays a lot of players and if they work hard they will play...and they do!

Gee, I wonder if there are any other coaches at Auburn that would benefit from that approach?

I am totally fed up with the nonsense of a Gus lead team. 

Bruce also knows what players fit into his system and which don't with no regard to star rankings. 

Polar opposite is happening in the football program.

21 hours ago, Deemer 47 said:

Agreed. He will be the coach , but I just don't think we finish as high as past years in recruiting this coming year. We are in such desperate need of so much and I for one just don't think Malzahn can turn AU into at least a consensus Top 15 team. I mean come on, the guy has had six years and the program really shows zero improvement. The longer he's here, the further AU falls behind the teams he has beaten and even further behind to the teams he is generally unable to beat. Think about it, beating GA and Bama last year really did nothing. They played for the Title and as usual, his teams were ill prepared come Sec champ game and the bowl game. We had 2 losses before this wins and then won two and turned around and crapped the bed the last two. Zero consudtency during his tenure with the exception that one year out of every four or so he gets a talented enough QB to run that ridiculous offense that is just painful to watch. So yes, we will lose out on high caliber recruits and the ones we do sign, will never be developed into the talent they truly possess! I am yet to see him develop a talented QB and take him to the next level. 

Dilbert will trash any QB he touches, never has had one he recruited out of HS that really produced. Hide and watch, Stidham will play in the NFL if Dilbert doesn't get him killed. Steele has lost the D, no motivation due to Dilbert being lost. This is really a bad situation in football. Whoever laid this egg should own it, step up, and correct it. The Board has at least 2 or 3 businessmen that understand basic business concepts. This defies all sanity.

Archived