When asked today how many genders there are; Joe Biden said "3"

japantiger

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well, I asked because my son had asked me and I couldn't think of any. At first I thought of trans, but they are just switching to the other. My daughter then suggested maybe it was innersex...which I didn't know what that was.  She also said maybe hermaphroditic people? I was honestly asking if others thought that there might be a third and if so, what they thought it might be. Appreciate your response.

I’d probably say, “It’s Biden. Occam’s Razor says it’s a gaffe.”

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I’d probably say, “It’s Biden. Occam’s Razor says it’s a gaffe.”

I love that me and my kids are able to have these types of conversations. I hate that me and my kids have to have conversations like these.

16 hours ago, PUB78 said:

God only created two genders, but in today’s world there are a multitude of mental disorders.

Actually, "God created" the gender spectrum which has a range of possibilities. 

And it's not just mental or variations in the brain.  Hermaphrodites are born with ambiguous genitalia (for example).

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

And it's not just mental or variations in the brain.  Hermaphrodites are born with ambiguous genitalia (for example).

What's that range include?

Well, ole Joe may have been right.

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

No he did not not. God created man and then he created woman.

I will let let someone else tell you about the "birds and the bees".

On 8/11/2019 at 8:39 AM, bigbird said:

Can anyone tell me what the 3rd one is?

Retail people. They work on shoes stores, clothing stores, any store at any mall left in America. They are often found living off of Starbucks, cigarettes, and cheap wine. They spend more on hair and makeup than you do on your truck. The like to get mani-pedis and go to school only to seek a Significant Other. They watch only Reality Shows like The Batchelor, The Bachelorette, TRHOA, Jersey Shore reruns, and Say Yes to the Dress. They have man buns or some kind of Pastel Hair color (pink, blue, green. etc) Can be seen wherever there is a techno dance party going on.

They dont follow politics but they do follow twitter.
They live for the next social outrage, even tho they cant really tell you what it is about...
They dont like Trump but they also dislike "all those black people."
They dont really like men, but they like real men. ;-)
They dont like living with their Mom, but they live with their Mom.
They despise their fathers but they love his money...

Said with my tongue firmly in my cheek....

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

What's that range include?

First, the idea of a "spectrum" is more relevant to sexuality - which is a completely different thing than gender identity, so perhaps the application of the term "spectrum" to gender is a little misleading.  One can imagine a broad range of sexuality but gender is essentially bounded by male, female and agender (neither).  

Having said that, there are intermediate states of gender between male and female represented by those who have conflicting combinations of gender traits, including trans-gender, or non-gender and (obviously) hermaphroditism. 

The article below describes gender as determined by three variables: Body, Mind (Brain) and Social:

Dimensions of Gender

People tend to use the terms “sex” and “gender” interchangeably. But, while connected, the two terms are not equivalent. Generally, we assign a newborn’s sex as either male or female (some US states and other countries offer a third option) based on the baby’s genitals. Once a sex is assigned, we presume the child’s gender. For some people, this is cause for little, if any, concern or further thought because their gender aligns with gender-related ideas and assumptions associated with their sex.

Nevertheless, while gender may begin with the assignment of our sex, it doesn’t end there. A person’s gender is the complex interrelationship between three dimensions:

• Body: our body, our experience of our own body, how society genders bodies, and how others interact with us based on our body.
  • Identity: the name we use to convey our gender based on our deeply held, internal sense of self. Identities typically fall into binary (e.g. man, woman), Non-binary (e.g. Genderqueer, genderfluid) and ungendered (e.g. Agender, genderless) categories; the meaning associated with a particular identity can vary among individuals using the same term. A person’s Gender identity can correspond to or differ from the sex they were assigned at birth.
  • Social: how we present our gender in the world and how individuals, society, culture, and community perceive, interact with, and try to shape our gender. Social gender includes gender roles and expectations and how society uses those to try to enforce conformity to current gender norms.

Each of these dimensions can vary greatly across a range of possibilities and is distinct from, but interrelated with the others. A person’s comfort in their gender is related to the degree to which these three dimensions feel in harmony. Let’s explore each of these dimensions in a little more detail.

Body

Most societies view sex as a binary concept, with two rigidly fixed options: male or female, based on a person’s reproductive anatomy and functions. But a binary view of sex fails to capture even the biological aspect of gender. While we are often taught that bodies have one of two forms of genitalia, which are classified as “female” or “male,” there are Intersex traits that demonstrate that sex exists across a continuum of possibilities. This biological spectrum by itself should be enough to dispel the simplistic notion that there are just two sexes. The relationship between a person’s gender and their body goes beyond one’s reproductive functions. Research in neurology, endocrinology, and cellular biology points to a broader biological basis for an individual’s experience of gender. In fact, research increasingly points to our brains as playing a key role in how we each experience our gender.

Bodies themselves are also gendered in the context of cultural expectations. Masculinity and femininity are equated with certain physical attributes, labeling us as more or less a man/woman based on the degree to which those attributes are present. This gendering of our bodies affects how we feel about ourselves and how others perceive and interact with us.

Identity

Gender identity is our internal experience and naming of our gender. It can correspond to or differ from the sex we were assigned at birth.

Understanding of our gender comes to most of us fairly early in life. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “By age four, most children have a stable sense of their gender identity.” This core aspect of one’s identity comes from within each of us. Gender identity is an inherent aspect of a person’s make-up. Individuals do not choose their gender, nor can they be made to change it. However, the words someone uses to communicate their gender identity may change over time; naming one’s gender can be a complex and evolving matter. Because we are provided with limited language for gender, it may take a person quite some time to discover, or create, the language that best communicates their internal experience. Likewise, as language evolves, a person’s name for their gender may also evolve. This does not mean their gender has changed, but rather that the words for it are shifting.

The two gender identities most people are familiar with are boy and girl (or man and woman), and often people think that these are the only two gender identities. This idea that there are only two genders–and that each individual must be either one or the other–is called the “Gender binary.” However, throughout human history we know that many societies have seen, and continue to see, gender as a spectrum, and not limited to just two possibilities. In addition to these two identities, other identities are now commonplace.

Youth and young adults today no longer feel bound by the gender binary, instead establishing a growing vocabulary for gender. More than just a series of new words, however, this shift in language represents a far more nuanced understanding of the experience of gender itself. Terms that communicate the broad range of experiences of non-binary people are particularly growing in number. Genderqueer, a term that is used both as an identity and as an umbrella term for non-binary identities, is one example of a term for those who do not identify as exclusively masculine or feminine. This evolution of language is exciting, but can also be confusing as new terms are created regularly, and since what a term means can vary from person to person. For further information on specific identities and what they commonly mean, please seeThe Language of Gender.

Social

Social gender is the third dimension. This includes Gender expression, which is the way we communicate our gender to others through such things as clothing, hairstyles, and mannerisms. It also includes how individuals, communities and society perceive, interact with, and try to shape our gender. Social gender includes gender roles and expectations and how society uses those to try to enforce conformity to current gender norms.

Practically everything is assigned a gender—toys, colors and clothes are some of the more obvious examples. We begin to teach children about gender from the moment they are born; given the prevalence of the gender binary, children face great pressure to express their gender within narrow, stereotypical definitions of “boy” or “girl.” Expectations regarding gender are communicated through every aspect of our lives, including family, culture, peers, schools, community, media, and religion. Gender roles and expectations are so entrenched in our culture that it’s difficult to imagine things any other way.

Children who express gender outside of these social norms often have a difficult experience. Girls thought to be too masculine and boys seen as feminine face a variety of challenges. Kids who don’t express themselves along binary gender lines are often rendered invisible or steered into a more binary gender presentation. Pressures to conform at home, mistreatment by peers in school, and condemnation by the broader society are just some of the struggles facing a child whose expression does not fall in line with the binary gender system.  

Because expectations around gender are so rigid, we frequently assume that what someone wears, or how they move, talk, or express themselves, tells us something about their gender identity. But expression is distinct from identity–we can’t assume a person’s gender identity based on their gender expression. For example, a boy may like to wear skirts or dresses. His choice in clothing doesn’t define his gender identity; it simply means that he prefers (at least some of the time) to wear clothes that society has typically associated with girls. In fact, how we interpret a person’s gender and the assumptions we make about them is related to our personal understanding of gender and the norms and stereotypes we have integrated—it isn’t about them. 

Finally, norms around gender change across societies and over time. One need only consider men wearing earrings or women having tattoos to see the flexibility of social expectations about gender. Even the seemingly intractable notion that “pink is for girls, blue is for boys” is relatively new. Prior to the mid-twentieth century, pink was associated with boys’ clothing and blue with girls’ clothing (still due to the gendering of colors, but with a different rationale associating each color with particular gendered characteristics).

https://www.genderspectrum.org/quick-links/understanding-gender/

So I guess the short answer is Male, Female and whatever gender states that occur in between as determined by Body, Brain and Social interaction.

14 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

No he did not not. God created man and then he created woman.

I will let let someone else tell you about the "birds and the bees".

Who created the brains of trans gender people?

Who created hermaphrodites?

22 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Well, ole Joe may have been right.

Not really.  Based on homer's response, 3 is not nearly enough.  Unless you're going 'Male', 'Female', and 'Other'.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:50 PM, alexava said:

I meant no disrespect to @bigbird. I am not angered by his question. If you are confused about what the fuss is about,we are on the same page. This doesn’t have to be a political arguing point. It’s used to score political points and it affects so few people. I don’t have a side. I don’t hate or oppose alternative?.? genders. I don’t support alternative genders. Frankly, I wish I didn’t hear about alternative genders. Birds question was a good one. I don’t know the answer. If my kids ask I’m probably going to tell them exactly how I see it. which won’t be a clear answer but it won’t leave them hating or fearing these boogeymen. While also considering that we will do our best to avoid them, there’s some who have contributed to society, including fighting wars. I mean they probably represent less than one tenth of one percent of the country. 

I don't think the concern is so much over people who are truly transgendered as it is over sexual predators who may (falsely) claim to be transgendered as an excuse to get into areas (e.g., women's restrooms and locker rooms) where they have no business being.  

15 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I don't think the concern is so much over people who are truly transgendered as it is over sexual predators who may (falsely) claim to be transgendered as an excuse to get into areas (e.g., women's restrooms and locker rooms) where they have no business being.  

Almost sounds like a gun control discussion now. 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Who created the brains of transgender people? The people in control of your media and Marxist education systems.  Has anyone ever spotted a "trans" person in a tribal society that lives a natural human life (ie: not programmed)? That is a serious question.  It is learned behavior that manifests as an outcome from some sort of man-made mental trauma, which is why there is a hilariously disproportionate amount of "trans people" in "progressive" (white) Western nations compared to everywhere else in the world, and why their suicide rate is off the charts (and no, their suicide rate isn't an outcome of "bullying" lmao).

Hermaphrodites are a birth defect.  How can a birth defect be a separate gender? Human "hermaphrodites" are usually infertile, which means that neither set of genitals works for their sole biological purpose: reproduction.  At most ONE set of genitals actually works.  Hermaphroditic species do exist in nature.  Humans are NOT hermaphroditic.

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

I think you mean why are there trans gender people and hermaphrodites Brother Homer. The answer is above my pay grade and yours. 

14 hours ago, homersapien said:

First, the idea of a "spectrum" is more relevant to sexuality - which is a completely different thing than gender identity, so perhaps the application of the term "spectrum" to gender is a little misleading.  One can imagine a broad range of sexuality but gender is essentially bounded by male, female and agender (neither).  

Having said that, there are intermediate states of gender between male and female represented by those who have conflicting combinations of gender traits, including trans-gender, or non-gender and (obviously) hermaphroditism. 

The article below describes gender as determined by three variables: Body, Mind (Brain) and Social:

Dimensions of Gender

People tend to use the terms “sex” and “gender” interchangeably. But, while connected, the two terms are not equivalent. Generally, we assign a newborn’s sex as either male or female (some US states and other countries offer a third option) based on the baby’s genitals. Once a sex is assigned, we presume the child’s gender. For some people, this is cause for little, if any, concern or further thought because their gender aligns with gender-related ideas and assumptions associated with their sex.

Nevertheless, while gender may begin with the assignment of our sex, it doesn’t end there. A person’s gender is the complex interrelationship between three dimensions:

• Body: our body, our experience of our own body, how society genders bodies, and how others interact with us based on our body.
  • Identity: the name we use to convey our gender based on our deeply held, internal sense of self. Identities typically fall into binary (e.g. man, woman), Non-binary (e.g. Genderqueer, genderfluid) and ungendered (e.g. Agender, genderless) categories; the meaning associated with a particular identity can vary among individuals using the same term. A person’s Gender identity can correspond to or differ from the sex they were assigned at birth.
  • Social: how we present our gender in the world and how individuals, society, culture, and community perceive, interact with, and try to shape our gender. Social gender includes gender roles and expectations and how society uses those to try to enforce conformity to current gender norms.

Each of these dimensions can vary greatly across a range of possibilities and is distinct from, but interrelated with the others. A person’s comfort in their gender is related to the degree to which these three dimensions feel in harmony. Let’s explore each of these dimensions in a little more detail.

Body

Most societies view sex as a binary concept, with two rigidly fixed options: male or female, based on a person’s reproductive anatomy and functions. But a binary view of sex fails to capture even the biological aspect of gender. While we are often taught that bodies have one of two forms of genitalia, which are classified as “female” or “male,” there are Intersex traits that demonstrate that sex exists across a continuum of possibilities. This biological spectrum by itself should be enough to dispel the simplistic notion that there are just two sexes. The relationship between a person’s gender and their body goes beyond one’s reproductive functions. Research in neurology, endocrinology, and cellular biology points to a broader biological basis for an individual’s experience of gender. In fact, research increasingly points to our brains as playing a key role in how we each experience our gender.

Bodies themselves are also gendered in the context of cultural expectations. Masculinity and femininity are equated with certain physical attributes, labeling us as more or less a man/woman based on the degree to which those attributes are present. This gendering of our bodies affects how we feel about ourselves and how others perceive and interact with us.

Identity

Gender identity is our internal experience and naming of our gender. It can correspond to or differ from the sex we were assigned at birth.

Understanding of our gender comes to most of us fairly early in life. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “By age four, most children have a stable sense of their gender identity.” This core aspect of one’s identity comes from within each of us. Gender identity is an inherent aspect of a person’s make-up. Individuals do not choose their gender, nor can they be made to change it. However, the words someone uses to communicate their gender identity may change over time; naming one’s gender can be a complex and evolving matter. Because we are provided with limited language for gender, it may take a person quite some time to discover, or create, the language that best communicates their internal experience. Likewise, as language evolves, a person’s name for their gender may also evolve. This does not mean their gender has changed, but rather that the words for it are shifting.

The two gender identities most people are familiar with are boy and girl (or man and woman), and often people think that these are the only two gender identities. This idea that there are only two genders–and that each individual must be either one or the other–is called the “Gender binary.” However, throughout human history we know that many societies have seen, and continue to see, gender as a spectrum, and not limited to just two possibilities. In addition to these two identities, other identities are now commonplace.

Youth and young adults today no longer feel bound by the gender binary, instead establishing a growing vocabulary for gender. More than just a series of new words, however, this shift in language represents a far more nuanced understanding of the experience of gender itself. Terms that communicate the broad range of experiences of non-binary people are particularly growing in number. Genderqueer, a term that is used both as an identity and as an umbrella term for non-binary identities, is one example of a term for those who do not identify as exclusively masculine or feminine. This evolution of language is exciting, but can also be confusing as new terms are created regularly, and since what a term means can vary from person to person. For further information on specific identities and what they commonly mean, please seeThe Language of Gender.

Social

Social gender is the third dimension. This includes Gender expression, which is the way we communicate our gender to others through such things as clothing, hairstyles, and mannerisms. It also includes how individuals, communities and society perceive, interact with, and try to shape our gender. Social gender includes gender roles and expectations and how society uses those to try to enforce conformity to current gender norms.

Practically everything is assigned a gender—toys, colors and clothes are some of the more obvious examples. We begin to teach children about gender from the moment they are born; given the prevalence of the gender binary, children face great pressure to express their gender within narrow, stereotypical definitions of “boy” or “girl.” Expectations regarding gender are communicated through every aspect of our lives, including family, culture, peers, schools, community, media, and religion. Gender roles and expectations are so entrenched in our culture that it’s difficult to imagine things any other way.

Children who express gender outside of these social norms often have a difficult experience. Girls thought to be too masculine and boys seen as feminine face a variety of challenges. Kids who don’t express themselves along binary gender lines are often rendered invisible or steered into a more binary gender presentation. Pressures to conform at home, mistreatment by peers in school, and condemnation by the broader society are just some of the struggles facing a child whose expression does not fall in line with the binary gender system.  

Because expectations around gender are so rigid, we frequently assume that what someone wears, or how they move, talk, or express themselves, tells us something about their gender identity. But expression is distinct from identity–we can’t assume a person’s gender identity based on their gender expression. For example, a boy may like to wear skirts or dresses. His choice in clothing doesn’t define his gender identity; it simply means that he prefers (at least some of the time) to wear clothes that society has typically associated with girls. In fact, how we interpret a person’s gender and the assumptions we make about them is related to our personal understanding of gender and the norms and stereotypes we have integrated—it isn’t about them. 

Finally, norms around gender change across societies and over time. One need only consider men wearing earrings or women having tattoos to see the flexibility of social expectations about gender. Even the seemingly intractable notion that “pink is for girls, blue is for boys” is relatively new. Prior to the mid-twentieth century, pink was associated with boys’ clothing and blue with girls’ clothing (still due to the gendering of colors, but with a different rationale associating each color with particular gendered characteristics).

https://www.genderspectrum.org/quick-links/understanding-gender/

So I guess the short answer is Male, Female and whatever gender states that occur in between as determined by Body, Brain and Social interaction.

You and the dude that wrote this are bat-s*** crazy.

you folks sure make a lot of assumptions for not knowing any trans people and  your ignorance shows. many of you claim to be christians but tend to want to throw these people out with the toilet water. instead of being concerned or caring many of you laugh at and make fun of these people. i am pretty sure that is a form of bullying. and many of you feel the need to make fun of homie instead of having a legit discussion about it with him.. how many of you on this very board said "ALL lives matter?". trans are just as confused and troubled about themselves as others are. they are just as not as mean. and trans folk have one of the highest suicide rates of anyone in the country. i wonder why that is?

11 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I think you mean why are there trans gender people and hermaphrodites Brother Homer. The answer is above my pay grade and yours. 

I thought God was the reason for everything?

https://www.who.int/genomics/gender/en/index1.html

In my opinion, the disagreement with most is an intermingling of gender biologically speaking and sexual preference. As a youngster in biology, we were instructed of the two genders that were comprised and differentiated by the X and Y chromosomes. We were also instructed that if you were born with both representative parts, you genetically still had one of the chromosomal grouping that dictated male or female. It appears now that some geneticist are thinking differently. 

On 8/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, DKW 86 said:

Retail people. They work on shoes stores, clothing stores, any store at any mall left in America. They are often found living off of Starbucks, cigarettes, and cheap wine. They spend more on hair and makeup than you do on your truck. The like to get mani-pedis and go to school only to seek a Significant Other. They watch only Reality Shows like The Batchelor, The Bachelorette, TRHOA, Jersey Shore reruns, and Say Yes to the Dress. They have man buns or some kind of Pastel Hair color (pink, blue, green. etc) Can be seen wherever there is a techno dance party going on.

They dont follow politics but they do follow twitter.
They live for the next social outrage, even tho they cant really tell you what it is about...
They dont like Trump but they also dislike "all those black people."
They dont really like men, but they like real men. 😉
They dont like living with their Mom, but they live with their Mom.
They despise their fathers but they love his money...

Said with my tongue firmly in my cheek....

I think you topped Austin Powers ...

8 hours ago, japantiger said:

You and the dude that wrote this are bat-s*** crazy.

Agree...

I thought God was the reason for everything?

So God is to blame for murderers, rapists, racists, terrorists, genocides? Or maybe that is just man doing what we do all the time...screw up everything. 

23 hours ago, homersapien said:

First, the idea of a "spectrum" is more relevant to sexuality - which is a completely different thing than gender identity,
so perhaps the application of the term "spectrum" to gender sexuality is So I guess the short answer is Male, Female and whatever gender sexuality states that occur in between as determined by Body, Brain and Social interaction.

Ah, we are confusing the words "sexuality" and "gender." We were talking about "gender" when we got Whatabouted with "Sexuality."

You know, it's inherently stressful to go through life with so much hate in you. :no:

Poor baby ... spewing the rote liberal talking point that "if you disagree with me, you're a hater".  How original.  Gonna call me "literally Hitler" now?

According to my Garmin (less than a 25 score) and my doctors, my stress level is very low and is consistently low over time.  It's not stressful to make a simple observation that you're batshit crazy.  If you think there are more than 2 genders, you are untethered from reality.  The fact that you were able to find another lunatic who has written a Vox-est piece to support your psychosis, merely reinforces that you are bat-s*** crazy along with that writer and Joe Biden. 

Take the L dude; or seriously, get some help (oh wait, is Dude too gender specific for you?  I thought it was gender neutral 3rd person enough to not trigger you.  Of course, since "dude" originated in "male-ness" it may reflect mine and societies inherent bias in reinforcing patriarchal sexist norms; being the "male" became the default and thereby perpetuating my continued verbal-rape of the opposite sex(es).  

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Poor baby ... spewing the rote liberal talking point that "if you disagree with me, you're a hater".  How original.  Gonna call me "literally Hitler" now?

According to my Garmin (less than a 25 score) and my doctors, my stress level is very low and is consistently low over time.  It's not stressful to make a simple observation that you're batshit crazy.  If you think there are more than 2 genders, you are untethered from reality.  The fact that you were able to find another lunatic who has written a Vox-est piece to support your psychosis, merely reinforces that you are bat-s*** crazy along with that writer and Joe Biden. 

Take the L dude; or seriously, get some help (oh wait, is Dude too gender specific for you?  I thought it was gender neutral 3rd person enough to not trigger you.  Of course, since "dude" originated in "male-ness" it may reflect mine and societies inherent bias in reinforcing patriarchal sexist norms; being the "male" became the default and thereby perpetuating my continued verbal-rape of the opposite sex(es).  

Sorry the I could not give a thumbs up along with the laughing emoji.  That was good!!!

Archived