That was not a Win

AUght2win

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AURex said:

Looking at the box score, statistically, Auburn out-played Arkansas -- by a very small margin. And in terms of passing percentage, this was actually Bo's best game so far this season. He actually completed 60% of his passes -- better than the two previous games. And both Tank and DJ had good rushing averages for the game. The real problem was the inability to sustain drives -- mostly due to some really terrible throws by Bo and the porous/inept OL.

And hey, Schwarz stepped up and played well in place of Stove, but why wasn't Seth targeted more? He caught only 3 balls during the game.

Defensively, gads, the entire D looked sad. Pappoe whiffed on more plays than I could count, but I'm not singling him out, because they all seemed disorganized and out of position way too often.

Yes, Auburn was lucky to get out of this one with a win. The sad thing is, looking at the rest of our schedule, I'm struggling to find any games I'd expect Auburn to win.

Seth Williams is not 100%. He has a nagging injury and the weather conditions were bad so he was used sparingly. Injuries are adding to the difficulties for Auburn right now.

18 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Except arky did get the ball...

Play was blown dead so it doesn’t matter.

Think about this. Watch plays of "spiked or clocked" passes. The QB takes the ball and throws it down, and I believe if you watch closely, many or even a majority of these "clocked" passes actually do go laterally (live) or backwards slightly (also live).  They have to otherwise they would hit linemen in the back, legs or feet.  This begs the question, "Do clocked ball plays have special rules?"  Answer Yes.  Why?

Clocked balls are thrown where there is no receiver.

The QB is in the pocket, not out.

The ball does not go past the line of scrimmage.

Unless clocked balls have special rules, then they should ALWAYS result in intentional grounding.

What happened to us?  Bo fumbled the snap. Did this change the clocking rules now that he has to pick up the ball?  Did not see this addressed.  If not, and his spike went backwards like most of them do then we do NOT have a live ball. We have a slightly buffooned but still executed to stop the clock.

IMO the call should have been clocked ball clock stopped fourth down no fumble no live ball whistle blown. That would be legit unless muffing the snap eliminates the special ball clocking rules.  Calling it a pass but grounding was a complete screw up by the refs and replay officials. If it was dead by whistle thus no recovery by us or Arky then why the grounding? If grounding it has to forward but it wasn't. So it can't be grounding.

What do you think? 

15 hours ago, autigeremt said:

We lose to Ms State and I’ll run Gus out of town myself. They scored 2 points today against UK. People have figured out the Air Raid. 

We got lit up by Arky in the 2nd half bc of no pass rush. UK has a good defensive line. They get pressure on the QB. We don't. That may very well be the difference.  Unless our 2 genius offensive minds don't completely  trash our current offensive philosophy and remanufacture our offense, we won't be able to outscore these high octane offenses.

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

Think about this. Watch plays of "spiked or clocked" passes. The QB takes the ball and throws it down, and I believe if you watch closely, many or even a majority of these "clocked" passes actually do go laterally (live) or backwards slightly (also live).  They have to otherwise they would hit linemen in the back, legs or feet.  This begs the question, "Do clocked ball plays have special rules?"  Answer Yes.  Why?

Unless clocked balls have special rules, then they should ALWAYS result in intentional grounding.

What happened to us?  Bo fumbled the snap. Did this change the clocking rules now that he has to pick up the ball?  Did not see this addressed.  If not, and his spike went backwards like most of them do then we do NOT have a live ball. We have a slightly buffooned but still executed to stop the clock.

IMO the call should have been clocked ball clock stopped fourth down no fumble no live ball whistle blown. That would be legit unless muffing the snap eliminates the special ball clocking rules.  Calling it a pass but grounding was a complete screw up by the refs and replay officials. If it was dead by whistle thus no recovery by us or Arky then why the grounding? If grounding it has to forward but it wasn't. So it can't be grounding.

What do you think? 

You are correct. When the snap is muffed and the ball hits the ground. Clocking the ball is not allowed anymore. 

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

What do you think? 

You answered your own question probably several times

I know it was a botched call and it was blown dead so there was no way UA could recover and all that but I don't see why Auburn fans should feel bad about that call.

1. Auburn didn't play well. Same problems on offense and defense as last week. Running game looked better (Tank!) and Bo made some plays but still the coaching is not impressive and the scheme/approach is weak to pathetic.

2. The spike was dumb in itself. 30 seconds left to set up a FG you just missed? My god could you get anymore CGM than that? Why not try to run up the middle to center yourself up and maybe get a tad closer THEN spike?

2. Arkansas looks much better and even with the talent deficiency they had plenty of chances to win that game. Let's face it, if you can't beat this Auburn team then can you really complain about a bad/weird call from the refs? As good as the Hawgs looked compared to teams in their past it was still void of making enough big plays or turnovers to put it away.

As much as I want him gone I'm not going to go full beta male and say "we should have lost...." because I'm not like the HC. Auburn won even if they look like crap.

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

We got lit up by Arky in the 2nd half bc of no pass rush. UK has a good defensive line. They get pressure on the QB. We don't. That may very well be the difference.  Unless our 2 genius offensive minds don't completely  trash our current offensive philosophy and remanufacture our offense, we won't be able to outscore these high octane offenses.

Brother, we can barely outscore Arkansas!

5 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

If that makes you feel better about both our wins coming from the refs, more power to you. 

I didn’t say anything remotely like that so what are you talking about! Facts is what I gave.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

No. You should find it and watch. The point is that Arky never recovered it. Nobody went after it until later. It was blown dead according to some rule that makes sense when you read it. Had Arky fallen on it immediately they would have been awarded possession. The closest anybody came to possessing the ball was Shed Jackson and an Arky guy making slight efforts to pick it up to hand to the refs after it was blown dead.

The truth is it was a fumble and the refs blowed it dead to early just like the SEC admitted to . But like arky’s coach said it should have at the very least been moved back to where the ball laid. At least we know that is where it went no matter who got it. Had that happened and AU would have kicked it from there it would have been another miss because Carlson almost missed that last one like he did the first one. We stole a win plain and simple. Had it been turned around everyone of us would be screaming bloody murder. Be truthful .

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

The truth is it was a fumble and the refs blowed it dead to early just like the SEC admitted to . But like arky’s coach said it should have at the very least been moved back to where the ball laid. At least we know that is where it went no matter who got it. Had that happened and AU would have kicked it from there it would have been another miss because Carlson almost missed that last one like he did the first one. We stole a win plain and simple. Had it been turned around everyone of us would be screaming bloody murder. Be truthful .

To compound it for Arky the :10 runoff hurt them more than us. Left them virtually no time for even a miracle finish.

11 hours ago, AURex said:

but why wasn't Seth targeted more? He caught only 3 balls during the game.

He also dropped three, so maybe his stats would look better if he started catching his catchable balls. This also happened in prior games this season. Drops in the KY game were overlooked because of some excellent TD catches he did make.

Now for another take, on the College Football Final they played the replay a few times and said it was a forward pass, thus dead when it hit the ground. Regardless of what any expert says, I'll take it as it was ruled on the field with no apologies. I've seen too many other calls go against us before now to worry about one that goes our way.

I'm proud we arent hypocritical about poor officiating - some here point out when it costs us games (e.g. holding-palooza non calls for LSU & UF last year) as well as when it arguably helps us. As a former college ref (MEAC) I'd point out this was an inadvertent whistle play that apparently nobody involved wants to label as such. When the whistle blew most players stopped playing so we dont know who would have recovered the fumble but for the whistle(s) and where it would have been recovered (e.g. Auburn recovers, still a makeable FG?). In other words, saying the officials gave us this game is guessing.

17 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

If that makes you feel better about both our wins coming from the refs, more power to you. 

The only thing that would make me feel better is Allen Greene saying, "please join me in welcoming the new Head Football Coach for Auburn University!"

Archived