That was not a Win

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Speaking of play calling, Gus should be tied to a chair, and required to watch the clinic Kiffin is currently putting on at the moment.

But Kiffin is not an Auburn man!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That is clear...if the pass was FORWARD. The pass was backwards...making it a lateral. Are you able to find any clarity on that?

I did not find anything that addresses that scenario.

2 minutes ago, AU57 said:

I did not find anything that addresses that scenario.

He threw the ball backwards into the ground. Personally, I hate that spike rule anyway. It's just dumb. You call a QB for intentional grounding for throwing the ball away in the tackle box, but allow him to just throw it into the ground other times. 

9 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

He threw the ball backwards into the ground. Personally, I hate that spike rule anyway. It's just dumb. You call a QB for intentional grounding for throwing the ball away in the tackle box, but allow him to just throw it into the ground other times. 

That's what I'm saying. It seems like a judgment call by the ref. If the ref deems the QB is trying to stop the clock, aka a "spike", he allows him to ground. 

This is the only legitimate excuse I see for not calling it a fumble. The ref saw Bo's intent and it didn't matter if the ball went forward or backward, it was deemed a "spike". 

Not saying that's the case. Just playing devil's advocate.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That's what I'm saying. It seems like a judgment call by the ref. If the ref deems the QB is trying to stop the clock, aka a "spike", he allows him to ground. 

This is the only legitimate excuse I see for not calling it a fumble. The ref saw Bo's intent and it didn't matter if the ball went forward or backward, it was deemed a "spike". 

I get what you are saying....that just seems like a stretch. I think the refs just F-ed up. I have never heard of their being a rule about "intent" when it comes to spiking the ball. If that were the case....why would throws to the a WR behind the line not be considered a FWD pass? I mean his intention was to "pass" to the WR...I know those are different, but still. I think we got a big break regardless what semantics we use. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Oh yeah. I get it. Just a dumb rule. If the QB was in the shotgun, and dropped the snap, then picked it up, and threw it down it just doesn't seem fair. I think the spike rule is something brought on by the rules committee for TV, and to try to shorten the game, and it's dumb in my humble opinion.

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

Everyone in the SEC is getting real football coach’s. Our is also the drivers ed/health teacher.

We didn't want any of those guys.  Not Auburn material.  Gus is good enough. 

We're clean, we usually have a winning record, and Gus is a genius.  

Yes, the officials deemed the play over after Bo spiked the ball, but they SHOUlD have allowed the play to continue. At the end of the play, an Auburn and an Arkansas player both had hands on the ball, but neither really had possession.

I absolutely DETEST the spike rule. If the QB throws the ball while in the tackle box and it does not reach the line of scrimmage and no receiver is in proximity, it is intentionally grounding. WHY is it okay to do this if the QB throws it at his feet?

And in this case, Bo was moving away from the LOS and threw the ball down behind him after muffing it. Which *should* have been a backward pass (a fumble). Problem is, no players really went after it and the refs didn't call it.

I'm not trying to erase an Auburn win on a technicality. The refs made the ruling. Auburn won. The end.

Am I proud of this victory? Um .... npe.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why even say this? We escaped. 

Exactly. Had this one circled for awhile and we needed a blown call by the refs and a field goal to win it by 2??!!

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Should have just said we stunk up the field for four quarters, and were lucky to win. I could get behind a statement like that 

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

We did not deserve that game. If Gus or Morris (whoever) doesn't change our offensive philosophy, we will lose 3 to 4 more games. Our defense is just not as good as it has been the last couple of years. Teams with a good rush defense will beat us.

Only 3 to 4? I’d consider that a remarkable achievement. How about 6 to 7? Now that’s more realistic.

16 minutes ago, AURex said:

Yes, the officials deemed the play over after Bo spiked the ball, but they SHOUlD have allowed the play to continue. At the end of the play, an Auburn and an Arkansas player both had hands on the ball, but neither really had possession.

I absolutely DETEST the spike rule. If the QB throws the ball while in the tackle box and it does not reach the line of scrimmage and no receiver is in proximity, it is intentionally grounding. WHY is it okay to do this if the QB throws it at his feet?

And in this case, Bo was moving away from the LOS and threw the ball down behind him after muffing it. Which *should* have been a backward pass (a fumble). Problem is, no players really went after it and the refs didn't call it.

I'm not trying to erase an Auburn win on a technicality. The refs made the ruling. Auburn won. The end.

Am I proud of this victory? Um .... npe.

Yeah, well all the announcers on ESPN are saying it was a blown call and Arkansas got screwed. We never should have been in that situation. But, once again we have people saying "we got lucky", JABA. 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

He said this AFTER the game? Like when it was over over? Wow

Just now, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

Yeah, well all the announcers on ESPN are saying it was a blown call and Arkansas got screwed. We never should have been in that situation. But, once again we have people saying "we got lucky", JABA. 

Because it was a blown call.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

He said this AFTER the game? Like when it was over over? Wow

For what it is worth, Owen Pappoe said the same thing about it being personal for Morris Wednesday or Thursday.  

Just now, abw0004 said:

For what it is worth, Owen Pappoe said the same thing about it being personal for Morris Wednesday or Thursday.  

I could see saying it before.....I don't care I'll be the a**hole as long as I'm here but we have to be more arrogant than this......2 point win that should be a loss??? Should be ashamed

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I could see saying it before.....I don't care I'll be the a**hole as long as I'm here but we have to be more arrogant than this......2 point win that should be a loss??? Should be ashamed

^^^This

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Honestly man, what do you expect him to say? 

We have to be better. I'm not happy with the way we played. Wish we had played better. Anything but this was a game we focused on and was locked into and this is the best we could do

Archived