Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

I'm not going to lie. After reading and hearing all the things that have come out in the past week, I've lost all my joy related to this search. 

Until the culture behind the scenes at Auburn changes, or until we hire a head coach who can garner the respect of everyone involved, I'm just not very optimistic about the future. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I keep seeing this. I get he was a great player here, but why? 

Because there have been many reports of Caddy being a great coach & recruiter.  He has history here and knows the ins/outs of AU.  He also has ties back to the most prolific high school in the country.  Could help Napier navigate the waters.

15 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

We should interview Joe Brady.  The guy is young though, only 31 years old 

I really thought I was reading A4E 

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Who did MC recruit that’s a big name?

For starters, Calvin Ridley and Jerry Jeudy. The current Oregon class is ranked 6th nationally. If there is any one think he is know for, it's his recruiting ability.

1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

You serious Clark? 

I deleted after because I was thinking of Sark

Just now, Zeek said:

If he can get those coaches to go to Louisiana who can he get to Auburn? Lol

Exactly! I know he's got a couple LA natives on staff, including that RB coach, but still, a couple of those guys have some very meaty SEC experience. This is a guy I think folks will want to work with. Not to mention, people will want to work with the head coach of Auburn University, period. 

Just now, caleb1633 said:

For starters, Calvin Ridley and Jerry Jeudy. The current Oregon class is ranked 6th nationally. If there is any one think he is know for, it's his recruiting ability.

I deleted because I was thinking of Sark.

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

Because there have been many reports of Caddy being a great coach & recruiter.  He has history here and knows the ins/outs of AU.  Could help Napier navigate the waters.

Great point.  Napier will need at least one Auburn man on staff in the know that can help him with all the off the field stuff.

Just now, Barnacle said:

Recruiting is great, but you need to be able to recruit to Auburn. It's nice that Napier was recruiting 5* players to Alabama, but that's what Alabama does. 

Gotta get them on campus! 😝 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Recruiting is great, but you need to be able to recruit to Auburn. It's nice that Napier was recruiting 5* players to Alabama, but that's what Alabama does. 

I think he will. 

Just now, dilligas said:

Great point.  Napier will need at least one Auburn man on staff in the know that can help him with all the off the field stuff.

DL bring back Rocker 

5 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

From what I've observed, Napier is probably a better game day coach than MC. He didn't have the same blunders that cost MC a few games, and always had his teams ready to play. They were punching above their weight class. Now, I'm not as sure about recruiting, as MC seems like a juggernaut at that, but Napier could be every bit as good.

That's pretty much the breakdown, and those few bad losses at Oregon are exactly what explain the 10% of the fanbase that wouldn't have been "totally okay" with the hire at worst. 

To your point and @DAG's, it's interesting that Napier might be a 7 across the board when Cristobal was mostly 9s with a few sub-5s. 

Judges GIFs | Tenor

3 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

Multiple sources reporting that Napier has emerged as the front runner.

He was always my 2nd hope behind Cristobal. Please dont screw this up Auburn

Can we PLEASE keep t-will and Caddy on the new staff!!!??? I am good with everyone else gone but those 2 are hella good recruiters and have ties throughout the South.. I'm down with Napier if he is out next HBC.

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

To me it's not just that he got those guys. It's the talent evaluation. He didn't just get 4 & 5*kids you've never heard of. 

I'm not going to lie. After reading and hearing all the things that have come out in the past week, I've lost all my joy related to this search. 

Until the culture behind the scenes at Auburn changes, or until we hire a head coach who can garner the respect of everyone involved, I'm just not very optimistic about the future. 

Jeez, Mr. wet blanket, that's totally... an appropriate way to look at it. 

But something that I've been talking myself into... What if the same PTB that have perpetrated this culture and made this search so excruciating actually did bend to the will of the fan base? And what if they are rewarded with a successful and unifying head coach? And the resultant lucre for the program? 

Do you see potential for this situation being the genesis of the change we want? A self-fulfilling prophecy? Does Steele Out itself signify a shift in attitudes? 

This is me laying the groundwork for getting suckered into the dystopian hellscape of Auburn Football again next year. I was wondering what the hook would be this time. 

He recruited well at Clemson too when they weren’t what they are today. And he has recruited head over heels above everyone else in the sunbelt and produced NFL talent. 

I think some of y’all are gonna be negative regardless of who we get...

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

To me it is more than just recruitment. It is the talent development. Sorry, but I’ve seen much lesser coaches recruit at Auburn if they put the effort in, I am wanted a culture change and program builder and he fits that bill. Recruiter is icing on the cake 

Archived