Auburn closing in on Bryan Harsin

Tony4AU

14 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

We fired Malzahn who had a winning record every season he was here in a weird year where coaching shake ups just aren’t happening. If you are going to do something like that, it BETTER be a splash hire. From what I’m seeing in his resume, this guy isn’t going to bring us to the next level like people seem to want. 

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with what I said? 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t we just be glad it wasn’t Steele? Or even Clark? He looks like a real hard nosed football coach. That’s what we need. It’s a new day. And he knows the QB position! He played QB. This is great for Nix. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Gonna be soooo much more refreshing than “it was another great week of practice” crap 

I might actually watch football press conferences again. I honestly can't remember the last time I did.

Geeze, half you folks on here are just miserable. Nothing is ever good enough for you and you just want to complain to hear yours selves bi-otch. We have people on here who have sworn to give up their season tickets, have dog-cussed the BOT members up and down, have degraded one of the best universities around, have talked about finding a new team to root for (move on please, true AU family doesn’t need you then), and actually believe all the crap the media puts out when half of it is proven to be opinions and complete BS anyways, and on and on and on for a week.

Now we are bashing the new coach, his record, his conference, his experience, his recruiting, HIS WIFE, arm-chair quarterbacking and second guessing everything before he has even been confirmed by our great university or you even know anything about the guy.  You are now bitching about who we didn’t get, second guessing everything Auburn does, questioning why we fired Gus in the first place, and on and on and on again. Damn people, get a grip.

Now I have done my fair share of complaining about games and Gus but I have NEVER given up on Auburn University!  Add me to the list you’ll be bi-oching about, and I’ll enjoy the upgrade in my season tickets with all the new seats available from you overly knowledgeable, former season ticket holders. WAR DAMN EAGLE anyways!  From a fourth generation AU grad, married to an AU woman, with children heading to AU.  

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Freeze and Cristobal were better options. Sarkesian was a better option. Even Napier and Clark, who I wasn’t sold on, were better options and were more proven. Of the last three coaches at Boise, this guy has the worst record. 

You are just throwing out names and didn’t go back to your original statement.    Every coach you just named is still a crap shoot that they will bring Auburn to the level of Alabama or Clemson.   There is truly only three coaches that would get us to level and two coach for those teams.   That’s the point.    Clark??? That is a complete joke.   The guy literally bad mouthed Auburn while coaching high school kids.    I don’t care what he has done since, he could have won a super bowl,  it shows a lot about his character as much as some on here talk about Freeze’s 

Just now, AUFlyer99 said:

If he can ‘croot em.   Maybe he can.  

Well he has been recruiting very well to Boise. Can't see why he couldn't do the same here. I mean look at the last two coaches we have had and the players they got and neither of them had his experience. It will all hinge on his staff as well though. 

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Urban took over a down Utah program that had a losing season the year before he got there and went 12-0 his 2nd year.

Gus Took over the worst team that Auburn has seen in my lifetime. The very next year took us to the national championship. Then he forgot how to beat Georgia and never won another championship again. 
Point being gave the guy a chance. Maybe he will be better than the last guy.

3 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

if Harsin cant bring in his own staff....

nodawg.gif

I'm with you if he can't control and bring in his own staff then I will still be done with Auburn Football till this mess is cleaned up in the future. 

9 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

T Rob back on the plains. 

Strong is also available. He’s been in a defensive role at bama similar to Jones’s offensive role. There’s a few good DC available right now. 

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

We hired an Alpha 

We hired a coach who is gonna raise the standards

He recruits guys who are gonna work, wanna be and can be great

His staff is gonna be his best asset, cant wait for it to be filled

Does he allow his players to hit each other during practice or is it just a pillow fight?

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn is Auburn we are going to recruit in the top 10-12 most season's. You absolutely cannot knock his recruiting yet because he has never been a head coach at a school that he has a legit chance to get 4 star guys. Chizik and gus had really good recruiting staffs. I expect the same here.

This is absolutely not a given. Gus (and his staff) did that consistently until this year.  Give him and the staff a lot of credit.  It's what I liked about Gus the most.  I remember the Tuberville years quite clearly.  He was always getting 3 or 4 guys at the last minute who everyone knew would never qualify just to fake get us into the top 15.  Recruiting is 80% or more of a head coaches job, and I have no idea how good at it Harsin will be.

It's a relief that we have a guy that is somewhat of a name.  But don't kid yourself. It will be a challenge to recruit in the SEC.  He doesn't know the area or the high school coaches. And the perception that Auburn doesn't know what it is doing is out there. Probably for the best if he retains a good deal of his staff. Time will tell, but our odds of liking this hire in 3 or 4 years are low. That's reality. I hope he's the next Dabo, but statistically he is more likely to be the next Jeremy Pruitt. And I hope to hell if we make another change down the road, it's planned out a whole lot better than this one.

4 minutes ago, TigerTaz said:

Can’t we just be glad it wasn’t Steele? Or even Clark? He looks like a real hard nosed football coach. That’s what we need. It’s a new day. And he knows the QB position! He played QB. This is great for Nix. 

I think people are glad in a vacuum, but if he can’t bring in his own staff, there’s obviously an elephant here

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Gus Took over the worst team that Auburn has seen in my lifetime. The very next year took us to the national championship. Then he forgot how to beat Georgia and never won another championship again. 
Point being gave the guy a chance. Maybe he will be better than the last guy.

Gus situation was different. He was already familiar with the personnel.

Just now, Bo Didley said:

Strong is also available. He’s been in a defensive role at bama similar to Jones’s offensive role. There’s a few good DC available right now. 

Forgot about Charlie Strong as DC.  

1 minute ago, gctiger said:

I’ll support this coach but I’ve got some MAJOR concerns.  

1) The AU program is currently crap.  IMO we needed more of a splash hire, someone that could turn heads when his name is mentioned.  I think we fell way short on this one.

2) Unless I’ve missed something, he likely doesn’t have many connections in the states where we primarily recruit.  It may take years to build those relationships, so it appears that we may be looking at a long term rebuilding project.  Maybe he can hire some proven recruiters as assistants but I’m  not convinced that assistants with this kind of experience would be thrilled to work for this guy.

IMO the search process couldn’t have gone much worse as it pertains to the immediate future of the program.  

Hopefully someone in the know can talk me off the ledge...

The Auburn program is NOT crap! How could you even think that? The last 3 seasons we have won 10, 8, and 9 games in the toughest conference in the country. In 2017 we made FBS history by beating two #1 teams in one season, and we went to the SEC championship. We had a young team this year with an entirely new O-Line, and almost an entirely new D-Line. Auburn’s program is not crap. That’s absurd to even say we are anything close to crap. We have top 10 recruiting class talent everywhere on this team. We have been top 5 in the SEC and averaged 9 wins every year since 2013. What we want is to take the next step to a regular playoff contender, and that step isn’t a big one. It’s some tune ups and upgrades on offense and some improvement on the D-Line. That’s it. That’s all we need. We are not crap, and you know it.

Hopefully Harsin is that offensive tune up that we need. The defense is fine, don’t change things up there too much, offensive tune up is all we need and we are winning 10 games a year. 

Better hire than expected. Thank god. Lets hope he can adapt to having to go against the big boys. Even if it doesn't turn out well, hopefully he is cheap and we can put more money into facilities and giving out some dodge chargers

This whole time I’ve been picturing the goofy hat guy who was oc at Texas and Florida... he’s not that guy, right? Harsin looks to be a major change of pace, at least personality wise, from Gus. I’ll take that. I don’t care what he’s done at Boise State... apples to oranges comparison to Auburn. I’m interested in his ability to bring guys on board who’ll be able to recruit the southeast. His no bull**** personality can either be a positive or a negative... see Saban vs. Pruitt.

6 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

This has ADAG written all over it!

Yeah look at what I shared about previous hires. This clearly bucks the trend. Doesn't seem like a guy who'd tolerate puppet strings.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well he has been recruiting very well to Boise. Can't see why he couldn't do the same here. I mean look at the last two coaches we have had and the players they got and neither of them had his experience. It will all hinge on his staff as well though. 

I can think of reasons but they would be echoing all the BS things others say on any number of topics.   Stuff like “none of Saban’s former assistants have ever beaten him”.  “Alabama gets all the good players”.  LSU is always good”.  “Scarlet Johannson isn’t hot”.  Wait...   No one says that...

Still underwhelmed by this hire, BUT...  If this is Greene’s call and he has full control and is able to keep the PTB out of the way, good things are going to happen for Auburn, even if Harsin isn’t it.  Those things lining up would be a big moment in AU history and one that I will celebrate.

Archived