Closing Out the 2021 Recruiting Class

Zeek

So we roughly have 14 spots left (I'm not counting Tar'varish Dawson to our class yet until he's 100% official).

Here's how I can see the spots filling out based off what we've been told:

1. Trevin Wallace 4* ILB - undoubtedly still waiting to see what happens with T-Will but I feel like we're in a good spot with him regardless. Have always liked our chances here.
  2. Colby Smith 3* OT - JBoy and others seem to believe he ends up at Auburn
  3. Jarquez Hunter 3* RB - seems like an AU lock at this point
  4. Dontae Balfour 3* CB - I saw where E mentioned someone else implying UNC might be leading. Would like to think that Auburn being in early on DB would help but we'll see. He's definitely exploded in offers and attention since we changed staff. Fortunately, McCreary/Tutt/Smoke all returning makes the need a little less here.
  5. Eric Wilson 3* OG - I don't think we lead here but Friend and Bedell have to be appealing to EW and the physical style of play should be appealing.
  6. Tar'varish Dawson 3* WR - seems like an AU lock.
  7. Dylan Brooks 4* DE - waiting on his NLI release before we can officially recruit him but I'd be floored if he goes somewhere else.
  8. RB Transfer - not sure who yet, I know we like the Texas RB a lot.
  9. RB Transfer -or- Byron Cardwell if we're able to land him. Haven't seen other RB transfers mentioned too much but based on offers and approach I'm sure it'll be someone 6'0" or taller with a thick build.
  10. OT Transfer -or- Mako - #1 JuCo OT
  11. OT Transfer? Not sure if we'd take another OT if we get Mako, Wilson, and Smith but it couldn't hurt.
  12. QB Transfer? The plan has supposedly been to bring in a transfer QB to push Bo. Haven't heard any smoke in this regard for a minute.
  13. Not sure, would likely be on the defensive side of the ball. Depth could be added on the DL/LB/DB groups.
  14. Same as above.

It's also completely plausible we don't use all of these spots and roll some over to 2022 but that's just a thought by me. I'm sure if we like enough guys that we can get then we'll attempt to hit the 25 mark.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Is Carlson done after next year?  In regimes past,  we brought in a kicker to overlap a year with our starter.    I cannot remember if we have our succession in place here yet or not?  

I do hope we continue to sign top kickers.  Invaluable when you have a good one. 

Still hard to read the above and I appreciate what zeek put together. Once again it just shows how bad the AU roster has been managed and filled . Hope we can complete the class with quality 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek At most 13 spots left. Remember The punter from last year blue shirted and has to count in this class.

Thanks, I keep forgetting the punter counting against this year.

45 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Is Carlson done after next year?  In regimes past,  we brought in a kicker to overlap a year with our starter.    I cannot remember if we have our succession in place here yet or not?  

This extra year of eligibility is wonky. No one has officially really confirmed how it will play out and there's no telling what Carlson will want to do. We obviously have him next year and could theoretically have him for another year (I doubt he uses that additional year unless he just wants to break a record or something).

We'll probably pick up a kicker in the next class.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

So we roughly have 14 spots left (I'm not counting Tar'varish Dawson to our class yet until he's 100% official).

Here's how I can see the spots filling out based off what we've been told:

1. Trevin Wallace 4* ILB - undoubtedly still waiting to see what happens with T-Will but I feel like we're in a good spot with him regardless. Have always liked our chances here.
  2. Colby Smith 3* OT - JBoy and others seem to believe he ends up at Auburn
  3. Jarquez Hunter 3* RB - seems like an AU lock at this point
  4. Dontae Balfour 3* CB - I saw where E mentioned someone else implying UNC might be leading. Would like to think that Auburn being in early on DB would help but we'll see. He's definitely exploded in offers and attention since we changed staff. Fortunately, McCreary/Tutt/Smoke all returning makes the need a little less here.
  5. Eric Wilson 3* OG - I don't think we lead here but Friend and Bedell have to be appealing to EW and the physical style of play should be appealing.
  6. Tar'varish Dawson 3* WR - seems like an AU lock.
  7. Dylan Brooks 4* DE - waiting on his NLI release before we can officially recruit him but I'd be floored if he goes somewhere else.
  8. RB Transfer - not sure who yet, I know we like the Texas RB a lot.
  9. RB Transfer -or- Byron Cardwell if we're able to land him. Haven't seen other RB transfers mentioned too much but based on offers and approach I'm sure it'll be someone 6'0" or taller with a thick build.
  10. OT Transfer -or- Mako - #1 JuCo OT
  11. OT Transfer? Not sure if we'd take another OT if we get Mako, Wilson, and Smith but it couldn't hurt.
  12. QB Transfer? The plan has supposedly been to bring in a transfer QB to push Bo. Haven't heard any smoke in this regard for a minute.
  13. Not sure, would likely be on the defensive side of the ball. Depth could be added on the DL/LB/DB groups.
  14. Same as above.

It's also completely plausible we don't use all of these spots and roll some over to 2022 but that's just a thought by me. I'm sure if we like enough guys that we can get then we'll attempt to hit the 25 mark.

II noticed you did not mention Jarquez Hunter as a possible RB was that a mistake as I thought we were pretty hign on him and vice versa.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

II noticed you did not mention Jarquez Hunter as a possible RB was that a mistake as I thought we were pretty hign on him and vice versa.

I think you overlooked him. He’s #3 on that list haha. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I think you overlooked him. He’s #3 on that list haha. 

You are correct. I just overlooked him.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Dontae Balfour 3* CB - I saw where E mentioned someone else implying UNC might be leading. Would like to think that Auburn being in early on DB would help but we'll see. He's definitely exploded in offers and attention since we changed staff. Fortunately, McCreary/Tutt/Smoke all returning makes the need a little less here.

More likely Juwon Gaston. Safety & explosive kick returner from Carver.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@The Plainsman Nope. He's a JR & this year doesn't count against anyone's eligibility.

True but if he graduates and has a shot at the NFL I think he would leave next year. He was more consistent this year then previous years and he duplicates that or improves it I think he has a shot at NFL just like big brother.

24 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

True but if he graduates and has a shot at the NFL I think he would leave next year. He was more consistent this year then previous years and he duplicates that or improves it I think he has a shot at NFL just like big brother.

Still not consistent enough. He may leave after 4 years though just to be done with football if he has his degree & not a real kicking NFL prospect at that point. Eligibility wise, which is how I took the OQ, he is not done unless he wants to be.

I would think we will wind up being 2 or 3 short of the max.  I don’t think this staff is going to stretch too far out on a limb for a project.  I think they already have some plans for 2022 and I expect that to be a very good class for us.  
Of course that idea changes if they can fill the max slots this year with guys they really want, which would be one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen CFR if they were able to do it with the big signing day already done, a brand new staff, a very short time to get guys on board, and no in house or on campus recruiting!!!!

I thought the plan was to wait till after spring practice on some transfers.  If that is the case then the coaches will not fill all of the available slots on signing day

9 minutes ago, aublaise said:

I thought the plan was to wait till after spring practice on some transfers.  If that is the case then the coaches will not fill all of the available slots on signing day

@aublaise don’t think anyone is thinking or saying we will fill up all the spots by signing day. When people are talking about transfers as most people have in the thread they are pretty much talking about whenever we get them.

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

We could stop at 20 and then have 30 slots available for next cycle. (five being the max that can be counted back) I think this staff will try extremely hard to get eight signees to take the class to 20. After that, they will be more selective. Of course, if they can get 13 quality guys they would take them, but I don't see us getting that many that can help us at this stage of the game.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

We could stop at 20 and then have 30 slots available for next cycle. (five being the max that can be counted back) I think this staff will try extremely hard to get eight signees to take the class to 20. After that, they will be more selective. Of course, if they can get 13 quality guys they would take them, but I don't see us getting that many that can help us at this stage of the game.

I think transfers will be big too considering they count against the total. I'm fine with rolling back 5 and having a monster class next year.

33 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think transfers will be big too considering they count against the total. I'm fine with rolling back 5 and having a monster class next year.

We have a number of immediate holes to fill. Not sure if we will have that many spots available for next year to count back to this year.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We have a number of immediate holes to fill. Not sure if we will have that many spots available for next year to count back to this year.

Agreed, but can we find the quality necessary to fill those holes? Presently, a grad transfer is the only transfer that can play in 2021 without a waiver. The number of those is limited. Guys transferring after spring practice because they couldn't move up the depth chart at their current school don't seem like much help either, even if they do manage to get a waiver.

Serious question  -

any idea how hands on Harsin is on calling prospects as we finish this class?  Gonna be tough for a new staffer to sell Harsin's vision better than Harsin.

It's gonna be central to his success in 2 yrs.

20 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Serious question  -

any idea how hands on Harsin is on calling prospects as we finish this class?  Gonna be tough for a new staffer to sell Harsin's vision better than Harsin.

There have been several prospects & existing players that all talked about Harsin calling them.

50 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Serious question  -

@Beaker he has to call to close the sale just like all head coaches have to.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Beaker he has to call to close the sale just like all head coaches have to.

I know I am not an insider, but I am hoping he is doing more than his normal share of recruiting as this class finishes up...whatever that "normal share" is for him.

I hear Saban and Smart personally take on (primary recruiter)  a few special recruits for each cycle to ensure they get those coveted few.  Any idea if that is true?

10 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I know I am not an insider, but I am hoping he is doing more than his normal share of recruiting as this class finishes up...whatever that "normal share" is for him.

I hear Saban and Smart personally take on (primary recruiter)  a few special recruits for each cycle to ensure they get those coveted few.  Any idea if that is true?

He's been calling recruits.  I think Tevin Wallace might be the highest rated kid left on our board and Harsin has spoken to him a few times.  He's made a point to say recruiting is what drivers a programs success.  I can't imagine he isn't going to be very involved.  

Archived