Notebook:

toddc

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Well yeah because you mostly travel by float plane :poke:

I knew you were kidding, of course. But one thing about us hybrid drivers is that we never kid. I don't think you're allowed to have a sense of humor and drive a hybrid. Pretty much the only thing you're allowed to say at parties (or on message boards) is, "I drive a hybrid, soooo..." before literally turning your nose up and walking away. 

Hoping to get my wife interested in a hybrid. Would love to do all electric but their range and charging availability makes that harder right now.

Of course, none of this is related to football, recruiting, etc. Maybe I can take Powell Gordon out for a burger in my GMC truck and tie all of this together🤔

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, fredst said:

Hoping to get my wife interested in a hybrid. Would love to do all electric but their range and charging availability makes that harder right now.

Of course, none of this is related to football, recruiting, etc. Maybe I can take Powell Gordon out for a burger in my GMC truck and tie all of this together🤔

The tech on them is so cool. Also, not sure what kind of driver she is, but the CVT makes the ride crazy smooth. 

Niffer's needs to offer a Kung Powell burger with sriracha mayo and Asian slaw with little peanuts in it on a chicken patty. 

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Niffer's needs to offer a Kung Powell burger with sriracha mayo and Asian slaw with little peanuts in it on a chicken patty. 

Sriracha mayo is the king of condiments 

Edited by fredst
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fredst said:

Sriracha mayo is the king of condiments 

Small town Alabama. Don’t even see Sriracha Mayo. But I do have Mayo and sriracha 😂

31 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Small town Alabama. Don’t even see Sriracha Mayo. But I do have Mayo and sriracha 😂

Uh, that’s how I end up with sriracha mayo where I am😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

In larger markets, that's called deconstructed sriracha mayo.

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2021 at 1:32 PM, fredst said:

Great vip article on him and an opposing coach saying how good the guy is! Hope he’s correct.

• Like 2

I love this kid!!! Can’t wait to see him running some power.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:29 PM, augolf1716 said:

Damn your old had no idea you knew Sammy too

This post is seriously underrated 

• Like 1

With all the walk-on talk in another thread I thought this story was great timing!

Called home to Auburn, Trey Elston is earning his dream

ByNATHAN KING 2 hours ago 

Share3 Comments

Spring games have a way of allowing sometimes-unknown players on a roster to shine. It’s a glorified scrimmage at its core, but still an extended, game-like opportunity for a backup unit to be exposed to a bigger stage in front of thousands of fans.

Through the years, Auburn’s A-Day spring game has seen plenty of walk-ons turn in big performances, making the most of their opportunity with the reserves, sometimes going against the Tigers’ starters on one side of the ball.

Auburn got another one this year — a defensive back who had been solid all spring for Derek Mason’s defense won MVP honors at A-Day. 

But this wasn’t a fluke showing for Trey Elston. 

He’s worked for this since he first dreamt of suiting up in the orange and blue and playing for the team down the road. Since he first played varsity football his senior year of high school. Even since he became a scholarship college football player elsewhere, Auburn was still on his mind. 

Elston’s dream is now closer than ever. In many ways, it’s already materialized; 2021 will be his second season as a Tiger. But it’s not in his nature to be content with where he’s at. 

Elston’s DNA is wired to compete, learn and ultimately succeed on the biggest platform.

He gets it from his mama, she explained with a laugh.

“I think Trey is more like me than I think he gives himself credit for,” Kimberly Elston said. “He’s disciplined, focused, strong work ethic, but he likes to have fun, too.

“We believe you work hard and you play hard. That’s what we do as a family.”

(Photo: Adam Sparks / Inside the Auburn Tigers)

Family is above everything for Trey. His self-discipline comes from Kimberly, who actively serves in the Air National Guard. He knows how to relax and appreciate, too, especially when he’s able to spend a day with his thoughts, fishing and decompressing outdoors. That he learned from William, his father.

The athletic ability is woven through the Elston clan, too. Trey’s brother, Elijah, is a 6-foot-4 guard who just wrapped up his senior year with Auburn High School basketball, and holds a few offers to play in college. Trey’s cousin, Trae, was an All-American safety for Ole Miss a few years ago. 

The support of that family is why Trey felt empowered to make a big decision in his life last year. 

Trey was in the spring of his sophomore year at West Alabama when COVID-19 shut down the school and sent him back to his home in Auburn. In the fall, Trey had played a standout season for UWA as a starter, with a team-best 11 pass breakups in the secondary. 

Trey played basketball all four years at Auburn High School but only picked up football as a senior. 

“He didn’t get opportunities to get looks his senior year,” Kimberly Elston said. “He only played that year, so he didn’t get the looks from Auburn or schools like that at that time. At that point, they’re done with their recruitments in terms of looking at players. But he wanted to play football, and West Alabama was a school that wanted him.”

West Alabama head coach Brett Gillilandand his staff saw potential in Trey as a defensive back due to his length, natural ball skills and quickness, as they watched him play wide receiver for Auburn High in the fall of 2017, when he caught 37 passes for more than 600 yards and five touchdowns.

“Football wasn’t his first sport but he did a nice job his senior year,” Gilliland told Auburn Undercover. “He was prominently an offensive player as a receiver, and our defensive coordinator thought he would make a good defensive back. So we were able to sign him then. He played in some games on special teams his freshman year, then had a pretty heavy role his second year here.”

Once back home during the pandemic lockdown, Trey decided to start taking summer classes. He kept in football shape by staying committed to his workouts. 

Transferring to Auburn had always been in the back of Trey’s mind — it had always been his dream — and 2020 started to seem like the right time for him to dive into that dream head-first.

The Elstons also lost their grandmother last year, which Kimberly said took a toll on Trey. She was “his best friend.”

“He had a tough year,” Kimberly Elston said. “He was in a place in which — coming back home, he felt at this point he wanted to play here.”

Trey at first didn’t know what his future would hold, he just knew he needed to be with his family.

“He was dealing with a lot for a young kid,” Gilliland said. “He was very thankful for the opportunity we had given him. But when he had gotten home with his family, he really didn’t have an immediate idea of where he was going to go from there; he just needed to be there and be home and be there with them.”

Then he made up his mind on becoming an Auburn football player. And it’s hard to stop Trey Elston when he puts his mind to something.

“All he wanted was the opportunity to walk on at Auburn, then go from there,” Kimberly said.

In the summer, Trey got in contact with Auburn’s then-head of the walk-on program, outside linebackers coach Al Pogue. After Trey was accepted into the school and became an AU student, he was eligible for tryouts. Kimberly said the coaches told her he didn’t look like a walk-on that day.

“Trey went to a couple of workouts, and they were very impressed with him,” Kimberly said. “They wanted to have him.”

Though he didn’t appear in a game in 2020, making the team kept Trey buzzing all year. Still, as is customary for an Elston, he strived for more day after day, always searching for some way to improve upon himself.

“I tell him as a running joke, ‘You are only as good as your last game,’” Kimberly said.

Though he had been given his opportunity by Gus Malzahn, Pogue and the previous regime at Auburn, Trey quickly felt comforted by the approach of Bryan Harsin and crew this offseason.

Kimberly has seen her son take to his new coaches with comfort and uninterrupted transition because, as she put it, they appreciate the values Trey holds himself up with: dedication, discipline, and a notion that opportunities must be earned. 

None of those should come as any surprise to Auburn fans who have heard just one sentence out of Harsin’s mouth since he was hired.

With their mindsets so evenly matching his own, Trey has quickly grown attached to his new coaches. Those who think like Trey have done the same.

“Now that he’s under this new staff, I’ve seen the work ethic he’s always established — that’s what this new administration is embracing and loves about him,” Kimberly said. “That’s a great thing for him. He loves the challenge; he loves to put in the hard work to get recognized. He does appreciate a coaching staff that understands you must put in the hard work to be able to get to the next level. In so many words, I think this coaching staff has honed in on the traits and the values that Trey has been brought up to do. 

“I’ve noticed him keyed in with that with the new coaching staff. He believes in their values, and I believe that’s really resonated with the other players, as well.”

3COMMENTS

Like he always does, Trey put his head down and grinded this spring when he saw an opportunity. Auburn was fairly thin at the safety position, with Jamien Sherwood off to the NFL, Zion Puckettdealing with an injury and two 2021 signees — Cayden Bridges and Juwon Gaston — not set to arrive on campus until the summer.

Alongside former four-star prospect Chris Thompson Jr., Trey grabbed a second-team safety spot and held firm throughout spring ball, culminating with a big role in the spring game, as the Tigers’ starting offense worked for the majority of the day against the backup defense.

Trey didn’t let his opportunity go to waste. With six tackles, including an open-field stop of star running back Tank Bigsby, and a one-on-one pass breakup in the end zone against receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr., Trey was voted Auburn’s defensive MVP for the spring game.

Sign up for the Auburn Undercover Newsletter and get Auburn breaking news in your inbox

Though Thompson Jr. has now transferred, Auburn’s depth at safety will see an uptick in fall camp. But Trey will refuse to get lost in the shuffle. He’s already made a strong impression on Mason and the defensive staff. He’ll take this next challenge and attack it, too.

But most importantly for Trey and the Elstons, he feels at home.

“We went to the games at West Alabama and enjoyed the experience of him playing there, but we always knew Trey had a strong desire to play on the next level,” Kimberly said. “Being at home and having the support of his community and his home was something I think he enjoyed, as well. It’s been very enjoyable for us to be able to see him reach his goals that he’s worked so hard at.”

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

• Like 3

• Thanks 1

The mere fact that we finally have coaches that can point to the NFL is everything. We were recruiting with a 50 ton weight on our shoulders

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The mere fact that we finally have coaches that can point to the NFL is everything. We were recruiting with a 50 ton weight on our shoulders

Might be CBH’s best hire when all is said and done!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, toddc said:

This was the TRock replacement hire.  We upgraded. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, toddc said:

There are several good candidates for that honor. Exciting times. 

• Like 1

Holy cow and we’re adding more good transfers.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

So is this just a catch all thread for AU tweets and articles?

I guess? That’s why I started it during spring ball. I guess you were out having babies and stuff! 😝 Paladin and I tried to keep recruiting going but I’m glad you’re back.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

So is this just a catch all thread for AU tweets and articles?

That's how I take it.  I like it.  Just need to pin it 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 7:47 PM, toddc said:

Being a Steeler fan I love this image, and it is smart marketing whoever designed and put this tweet/image together.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I love his swag. Can’t wait to see him on the sideline at JHS!

• Like 1