Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

I really have no idea what point you are trying to make.  Are you a 4th grader trying to make an argument? 

Yes winning championships is a lot of fun.  Probably more fun and exciting than having fun enroute to an 8-5 season.  My point is the top programs in college football are not pitching the concept of you are coming to their programs to have fun .  They are being recruited to win championships and go pro.

Gus wasnt winning championships.   So he sold recruits on having fun.

So basically Harsin is selling the same thing Saban and Dabo are with no rings to back it up. 

That's not gonna work. It can't be 100% business. None of those schools are 100% businessx no fun zones....which if Dukes was accurate that is what Harsin was selling. 

Harsin isn't Gus, no need to make comparisons 

Edited by W.E.D

31 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's not gonna work. It can't be 100% business.

First, It does work. For years we’ve listened to AU recruits talk about our ‘family vibe’ after recruiting trips. Then visit Bama and proclaim how it was all business there. We’ve lost a lot more of those recruiting wars than we've won. Harsin may not have hardware yet, but he has been instrumental in building and sustaining one of the nation’s winningest programs. 

Second, unless you’re an insider of some sort how do you know the players aren’t having fun. The videos I’m watching I’m seeing guys having fun while working their rear ends off. 

• Like 2

Fun is subjective. I like to think most competitors have the most fun when they are continuous winning (on and off the field), but I am a different cookie.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Second, unless you’re an insider of some sort how do you know the players aren’t having fun. The videos I’m watching I’m seeing guys having fun while working their rear ends off. 

No one said players.  We're talking about recruiting and selling players on what their next 4 years are going to be like.

Per Dukes, Harsin's pitch wasn't that good and had to adjust.  Relax a bit and it's working better.

IDK, he could be full of s***

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So basically Harsin is selling the same thing Saban and Dabo are with no rings to back it up. 

That's not gonna work. It can't be 100% business. None of those schools are 100% businessx no fun zones....which if Dukes was accurate that is what Harsin was selling. 

Harsin isn't Gus, no need to make comparisons 

So I dont know.  Im going off of  what Duke said as well.  I can only say what Dabo/Saban/Smart sell vs Malzahn. 

I assume Harsin is selling his winning percentage and Auburn having played for two NAttys winning one in the last 20 years.  I assume.

Saban came in selling getting to the League.  Seems to have worked pretty well.  Give me some of that.   And I’m not the least bit worried about these young men finding ways to have some fun while they’re at Auburn.   Excelling at what you do and having success is pretty fun also.  

10 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Saban came in selling getting to the League.  Seems to have worked pretty well.  Give me some of that.   And I’m not the least bit worried about these young men finding ways to have some fun while they’re at Auburn.   Excelling at what you do and having success is pretty fun also.  

It's fun when you win.  When you lose, not so much!

• Thanks 1

The whole binary "family fun vs business decision" conversation started when Auburn fans had to tell ourselves something to make us feel better about getting dominated by saban. (Did I already say that in this thread?)

It's hardly unusual for sports fans to distill things down in this way- not sure if it's just more convenient for conversation or people just really are that incapable in general of nuanced thought and discussion- but that's the "why" in this case. 

Now we're getting hit with the antithesis of the touchy-feely brand of fun we've more or less been riding since the 80s and it's a bit of a shock. To be fair, though, even Boise fans were- I believe- a little put off by Harsin's demeanor. He was just a less-nice version of the previous guy, so I get it. But if he starts winning big here, then we'll feel just like bama fans or UF/OSU fans during the Meyer years or Patriots fans or Summit-era UT womens hoops fans or......

• Like 4
  • Love 2

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The whole binary "family fun vs business decision" conversation started when Auburn fans had to tell ourselves something to make us feel better about getting dominated by saban. (Did I already say that in this thread?)

It's hardly unusual for sports fans to distill things down in this way- not sure if it's just more convenient for conversation or people just really are that incapable in general of nuanced thought and discussion- but that's the "why" in this case. 

Now we're getting hit with the antithesis of the touchy-feely brand of fun we've more or less been riding since the 80s and it's a bit of a shock. To be fair, though, even Boise fans were- I believe- a little put off by Harsin's demeanor. He was just a less-nice version of the previous guy, so I get it. But if he starts winning big here, then we'll feel just like bama fans or UF/OSU fans during the Meyer years or Patriots fans or Summit-era UT womens hoops fans or......

There you go trying to say there is some nuance to the situation. SMH. Don’t you know that this is obviously black-and-white, no shade of gray allowed?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

There you go trying to say there is some nuance to the situation. SMH. Don’t you know that this is obviously black-and-white, no shade of gray allowed?

I see 50 shades of gray and… sorry, wrong forum.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, fredst said:

It's just wild how people can live their own very real lives with all their own very real and complicated problems but then see someone in the public eye and be all "The market suggests his value is much higher than what he's currently getting paid so obviously he's a malcontent who hates the city he currently lives in".   

Just now, toddc said:

I see 50 shades of gray and… sorry, wrong forum.

Never seen the movie but I've got a lot of FKA Twigs on the playlist that shall remain unnamed in this space. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

It's easiest to sell top recruits on recent success, and the family atmosphere helped out Gus a lot.  But we are looking at a new world here.  Both of those things are great, but today if you want a recruit, you better figure out how to show him the money. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 7:39 PM, Gowebb11 said:

We’ve lost a lot more of those recruiting wars than we've won.

I think there might’ve been some bigger reasons than our approach versus theirs lol 

They also won recruiting battles against UGA and Clemson who have very similar approaches to them. Was their approach just not business oriented enough??

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

47 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think there might’ve been some bigger reasons than our approach versus theirs lol 

They also won recruiting battles against UGA and Clemson who have very similar approaches to them. Was their approach just not business oriented enough??

We’ve lost a lot more than we’ve won vs UGA and Clemson too. For the same reasons. Selling championships, development, and the NFL (business approach) wins vs the family vibe and fun, more often than not. I’m sure this staff will find the right balance with business and having fun. 

Edited by Gowebb11

On 8/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, AUwent said:

Wait we did this during the 2018 Tennessee game? lol

South Carolina 2020 was the game I was referring to lol

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

What if we are a “Family Business” 

Saving people, hunting things

@JBiGGiETechnically, Vandy was worse.

Edited by AUwent

My thinking about Hairsin is the players better come to play, no matter what time the game kicks off because  the players who come ready to play will be on the field, not those tryin to get ready. :wareagle:

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

My thinking about Hairsin is the players better come to play, no matter what time the game kicks off because  the players who come ready to play will be on the field, not those tryin to get ready. :wareagle:

I think you are correct about Hairsin, but how to you think Harsin will handle things?😁