Biggest bust

LPTiger

The jj stuff is hilarious. Auburn fans.....I know people say it's all fan bases but I haven't seen any fan base that will take stuff and run with it and be damned the facts like us. 

Make a guy a god and make some others just the suckiest of sucky......just so dramatic

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The jj stuff is hilarious. Auburn fans.....I know people say it's all fan bases but I haven't seen any fan base that will take stuff and run with it and be damned the facts like us. 

Make a guy a god and make some others just the suckiest of sucky......just so dramatic

Like I said earlier, no way I would ever select a QB, any of them. 

12 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Agree. He could of made a huge impact if he had lived up to his hype. What about Byron Cowart on the defensive side (although I think he made the nfl)

True about Cowart, but as of last season he was logging a lot of playing time for the Patriots I believe. Many times, busts in college are simply due to poor coaching, which a number of these guys mentioned on this post had. 

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

I couldn't pick a single QB under that regime.  When you go O-fer across a tenure, it's not the multiple players. JMO

True, but JJs hype-to-actual-performance ratio makes him stand out to me

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aublaise said:

Greg Smith.  5 star JUCO DT dubbed by tubs as internet king. Never saw the field. 

I don't even recall Greg Smith's name?   Did he get injured, have academic trouble or was he just overhyped?   It would be interesting to see an analysis of how JUCO players pan out.  At first blush, you would think that because there is more tape to review and the tape is against better competition, JUCO guys flame out less often than high school signees.   

24 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I don't even recall Greg Smith's name?   Did he get injured, have academic trouble or was he just overhyped?   It would be interesting to see an analysis of how JUCO players pan out.  At first blush, you would think that because there is more tape to review and the tape is against better competition, JUCO guys flame out less often than high school signees.   

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1155393-auburn-football-5-biggest-recruiting-commit-busts-in-tigers-history.amp.html

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

I couldn't pick a single QB under that regime.  When you go O-fer across a tenure, it's not the multiple players. JMO

Nick Marshall was a bust? Who knew?

Raven Gray, 5 star JC transfer defensive end. Not sure what went wrong but he was never a significant contributor. 

4 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

That girl I tried to date in the early 1980's.  She was 36inches....  EACH!

But her waist was a 72 as well.   Dorm 9 if I remember correctly. 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

But her waist was a 72 as well.   Dorm 9 if I remember correctly. 

She always ordered extra sauce, double fries and double Texas toast at Guthries...

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

As much as I've criticized Gus, he is really good with Juco and transfer QB's. I'll get pushback on Stidham, and there's no doubt he was a poor marriage with Gus and had his flaws. But the guy is an NFL QB who has stuck in the league and led us to success, as frustrating as 2017 was at times.

HS QB's are a whole other story, unfortunately. Figured that's what the posters meant. I think it's fair to say he is poor, to put it kindly, at HS evaluation and development. Only one that arguably outplayed his ceiling and expectations was White. Obviously he didn't have the physical traits the others had, and expectations were low considering the situation he walked into after Johnson was benched. Still, despite his unceremonious exit, Gus would've been fired after 2016, probably 2015, if not for him.

20 hours ago, Mikey said:

So, you agree that every QB since Cam Newton has been a bust? That's a very strange position but carry on with it.

Every HS recruit since Bradon Cox has been a bust. And Cox would probably be looked at as sub par in this day and age.

Jason Campbell is the only good HS QB we've recruited this century. Damn

Edited by W.E.D

People building up Jeremy Johnson as some lock to he great and putting him as the biggest bust when he was a mid 100s rated recruit is just kinda silly.

It's not like he was a 5* legacy recruit that couldn't ever beat UGA nor get past 60% comp then transferred and blamed the Auburn fanbase for his failures.

If we the student section didn't Boooo that single time he'd probably comp 80% of his passes

22 hours ago, Mikey said:

The fact that you think Gus had anything to do with Marshall's performance is hilarious. Great athlete did freakishly athletic things.  Marshall made Gus millions, not the other way around. That's the telling stat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 2

The offensive marriage of Tony Franklin and Kodi Burns.

Edited by AUinGA44
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1