Biggest bust

LPTiger

I did a positivity post the other day.   Let's explore the flip side.  Who would you say was the biggest bust AU player in recent years?   For me it is Nate Craig Meyers.   He was the number 1 rated receiver his junior year by 247.   He fell back to number 6 his senior year.   He committed to Auburn and then decommitted (perhaps a sign of things to come).   After 2 years and 3 games he announced his decision to transfer from Auburn taking advantage of the red-shirt rule.  He left AU for Colo St.    As you know he later left Colo St to be reunited with Gus at UCF.  In his 6 year career, NCM collected just 54 catches for 837 yards and 5 TDs.   His best single year was 368 yards.  This year for UCF he had just 3 catches for 46 yards. 

• Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Calvin Ashley

Agree. He could of made a huge impact if he had lived up to his hype. What about Byron Cowart on the defensive side (although I think he made the nfl)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

JJ

I couldn't pick a single QB under that regime.  When you go O-fer across a tenure, it's not the multiple players. JMO

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I'm fully sold on Byron Cowart or Calvin Ashley. Yes JJ was a bust and had tremendous hype especially coming into 2015, but he at least had some production. Calvin Ashley and Byron Cowart never started a game that Im aware of.

• Like 1

Is this the part where I am supposed to say Bo Nix because he’s transferring and it’s turning into an ugly divorce on the message boards?

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Is this the part where I am supposed to say Bo Nix because he’s transferring and it’s turning into an ugly divorce on the message boards?

No he doesn’t belong in this thread (IMO).

• Haha 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

No he doesn’t belong in this thread (IMO).

I was just being sarcastic.  I’d have to go with JJ.  Have to blame Gus and Rhett too for not being able to see that kid didn’t have it for after 3 years of practice.  Building him up as a Heisman candidate just made the fall worse.  

• Like 1

Jeremy Johnson was the biggest bust of Gus Malzahn’s career. He completely changed the narrative of Gus’ tenure. Two years removed from a National Championship appearance, Gus had Heisman hopes for Jeremy Johnson. Gus changed our offense from zone read to pushing the ball vertically down the field.

With the bust of Jeremy Johnson, Gus proved that he couldn’t develop a passing QB, and the sharks started smelling blood in the water. Gus Malzahn’s offenses were never the same after that.

Edited by CameronCrazy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned Byron Cowart. Highest rated recruit we've ever signed, and a complete bust.

Mentioned by several.

PS he's productive currently in the NFL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClarkGriswold said:

Biggest bust?

I’d say without a doubt…Takeo Spikes

You see what I did there?

IDK, I think I'd find a good place to hide before Takeo sees that. 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Gotta be JJ. Utter failure with far reaching ramifications.

I can still see the look on his parents and family's face at the stadium. It was bad. They knew.

• Like 1