Harsin Drama Megathread

TitanTiger

If somehow Harsin ends up being our coach again next season, I pray that he could pull a Tuberville and go undefeated like we did in 2004, the year after JetGate. Tubs had a loaded roster in 2004 compared to our current roster but a man can dream right? 😏

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

I want to take a minute and apologize for "guaranteeing" that Bryan Harsin would be fired wednesday evening. I have 2 sources that I fully trust about certain happenings around Auburn football. One is my father-in-law and the other is a head coach at a high school in lower Alabama. He was a roommate of mine in college. Anyway, both said Harsin won't be our head coach next season. One of the 2 told me he would be fired when he arrived back from Mexico because he was to meet with General Burgess and President Gouge. Interestingly, he never mentioned Allen Greene would meet with Harsin. 

Certain boosters her have NEVER liked Harsin. Apparently, they felt if they put rumors out about him and the media could help fuel it, they figured Harsin would resign and not try to buck up to them. In short, they were bullying Harsin and figured he wouldn't fight back because most in the past never fought back. Well, Harsin bucked up to them and got Russ Campbell involved. Whether it's just Harsin's personality to fight back or if he is just a midwesterner that doesn't know most coaches cower to the money boosters here at Auburn, either way he stood up to them and I guess they're at a standstill. 

I asked "if the PTB doesn't want Harsin here, why not just fire him and eat the $18 million buyout." I was then told that they are worried about how terrible they would look firing a coach after 1 year just because they don't like him. So that's when the PTB decided on putting rumors out that would hopefully get him to be fired with cause. They will end up biting the bullet and paying him the entire buyout and Auburn will look even worse than before because it will show that Jetgate and other mess the PTB has pulled in years past never taught them a lesson.

Bottomline is SOME of our PTB and board members have bullied coaches and others through the years and always won that battle just because they have money and influence. Now they have bullied a coach who has a set on him and who won't just cower to them and the boosters are stunned by it. Sorry that I guaranteed his firing yesterday but from what I was told, it was gonna happen until the lawyers got involved and Coach stood his ground. I'm told it will still happen but with a full buyout and egg on our PTB's faces. 

WDE

Thanks for the post. It is what it is. I don’t think he is getting fired 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Uh yeah, that’s what I said?  

He didn’t write anything negative about Auburn.  He wrote something pretty negative about Harsin’s time at Arky State and how Mohajir was about to fire him when Boise hired him away. 

He basically said he saw this all coming because its what happened there too. 

And incidentally enough, now you have Boise writers telling some truths about Harsin’s time there and its not that flattering and again….the same problems we are seeing manifest here. There is a great podcast from JOX this morning with one of their local journalists who covers Boise. 

But yes Auburn is the problem here, not Harsin. 

No, you said Arkansas State beat writer. And "one of his own beat writers" when referring to the Arkansas State AD.  The guy who wrote it is not an Arkansas State beat writer. He is a University of Arkansas beat writer.

1 minute ago, TeamZero77 said:

If somehow Harsin ends up being our coach again next season, I pray that he could pull a Tuberville and go undefeated like we did in 2004, the year after JetGate. Tubs had a loaded roster in 2004 compared to our current roster but a man can dream right? 😏

I don't see how CBH could function as HC next season.  Of course, if he is completely innocent of all charges made against him, then I want him to stay as long as is needed to clear his name and make the decision to stay or leave on his own.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thanks for the post. It is what it is. I don’t think he is getting fired 

I know you're in favor of Hugh Freeze getting the job if Harsin is let go. If somehow Harsin stays, how would you feel? 

I couldn't imagine coaching a team that you know some of the players don't like you at all, some heavy hitting boosters don't like you, some of your staff may not like you and a really big portion of the fanbase doesn't like you. But then again, Harsin may not like any of those people I just listed. 

It's really just a sad situation any way you cut it. And what hurts the most is it doesn't have to be this way. 

There's no way they thought they could bully him into resigning. Not even nice guy Gus would do that. Walk away from 18 mil to save a little face. May never see that money again. Plus Harsin clearly has an ego and guts. How they didn't read that is beyond me. But it's their money they will now have to payout and their credibility 

13 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I know you're in favor of Hugh Freeze getting the job if Harsin is let go. If somehow Harsin stays, how would you feel? 

I couldn't imagine coaching a team that you know some of the players don't like you at all, some heavy hitting boosters don't like you, some of your staff may not like you and a really big portion of the fanbase doesn't like you. But then again, Harsin may not like any of those people I just listed. 

It's really just a sad situation any way you cut it. And what hurts the most is it doesn't have to be this way. 

I am going to support him. Really won't matter how I feel. If he succeeds, Auburn succeeds. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I couldn't imagine coaching a team that you know some of the players don't like you at all, some heavy hitting boosters don't like you, some of your staff may not like you and a really big portion of the fanbase doesn't like you.

CBH is the type of personality that seemingly could handle this. Now, can he rally the troops? That is the key.

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I want to take a minute and apologize for "guaranteeing" that Bryan Harsin would be fired wednesday evening. I have 2 sources that I fully trust about certain happenings around Auburn football. One is my father-in-law and the other is a head coach at a high school in lower Alabama. He was a roommate of mine in college. Anyway, both said Harsin won't be our head coach next season. One of the 2 told me he would be fired when he arrived back from Mexico because he was to meet with General Burgess and President Gouge. Interestingly, he never mentioned Allen Greene would meet with Harsin. 

Certain boosters her have NEVER liked Harsin. Apparently, they felt if they put rumors out about him and the media could help fuel it, they figured Harsin would resign and not try to buck up to them. In short, they were bullying Harsin and figured he wouldn't fight back because most in the past never fought back. Well, Harsin bucked up to them and got Russ Campbell involved. Whether it's just Harsin's personality to fight back or if he is just a midwesterner that doesn't know most coaches cower to the money boosters here at Auburn, either way he stood up to them and I guess they're at a standstill. 

I asked "if the PTB doesn't want Harsin here, why not just fire him and eat the $18 million buyout." I was then told that they are worried about how terrible they would look firing a coach after 1 year just because they don't like him. So that's when the PTB decided on putting rumors out that would hopefully get him to be fired with cause. They will end up biting the bullet and paying him the entire buyout and Auburn will look even worse than before because it will show that Jetgate and other mess the PTB has pulled in years past never taught them a lesson.

Bottomline is SOME of our PTB and board members have bullied coaches and others through the years and always won that battle just because they have money and influence. Now they have bullied a coach who has a set on him and who won't just cower to them and the boosters are stunned by it. Sorry that I guaranteed his firing yesterday but from what I was told, it was gonna happen until the lawyers got involved and Coach stood his ground. I'm told it will still happen but with a full buyout and egg on our PTB's faces. 

WDE

This is what I was telling the homie @McLoofuslast time, and I’m not doing an “I told you so” thing. I just don’t think it could be overstated how heavy the BoT/PTB outweighs the natural advantages Auburn presents for potential coaches 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

CBH is the type of personality that seemingly could handle this. Now, can he rally the troops? That is the key.

Something that has caught my eye while reading Lee Hunter, Smoke Monday, AU beat writer's, national media guys is that none of them say he is a bad coach. In fact, most say that he is a really good coach with the mindset to be a champion and that he has the right vision but just doesn't go out of his way to get to know his players and that he doesn't seem to care about the players. Then they've said he's a hardass type. I know you've read all the tweets by the players and people involved so I won't bore you with all that. I know he made some questionable calls during games this season and some backfired but most seem to agree he can coach. That just kinda caught my eye because I figured most of those people would think he was average as a Gameday coach or x's and o's coach. I searched through stuff from his time at Boise St. and some of his players said after they graduated that Harsin never communicated with them again. Alot of coaches will atleast check on an ex player atleast once, or contact an ex player if there was a death or hardship that kid was enduring later in life. But the ex players that talked about it just said once they left Boise, Harsin was done with them. Pat Dye, in particular, was the best I've seen at staying in touch with his former guys. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HarsinVOL said:

It's not even close to that. It's about Harsin playing hardball and maxing out his buyout. There is a strange - entirely possible - that Coach Harsin stays. 

For a while.  :)

Yep... I guess... but there's no way he will be successful... to many folks pulling in different directions

6 hours ago, HarsinVOL said:

It's not even close to that. It's about Harsin playing hardball and maxing out his buyout. There is a strange - entirely possible - that Coach Harsin stays. 

For a while.  :)

So really what u are saying is Harsin is all about doing what's best for Harsin. Not about what's best for the overall program.. 

• Like 1

After one season at Arkie State…

They had their fill of Harsin at Arkansas State in less than a year and a source said he was there when athletics director Terry Mohajir told him he was out.

"Oh, (Harsin) was going to be fired," the source said. "I was standing right there when Terry told him after he had to go get him for a press conference."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/arkansas/.amp/hogs-football/few-at-arkansas-state-surprised-bryan-harsin-may-get-fired-at-auburn

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

After one season at Arkie State…

They had their fill of Harsin at Arkansas State in less than a year and a source said he was there when athletics director Terry Mohajir told him he was out.

"Oh, (Harsin) was going to be fired," the source said. "I was standing right there when Terry told him after he had to go get him for a press conference."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/arkansas/.amp/hogs-football/few-at-arkansas-state-surprised-bryan-harsin-may-get-fired-at-auburn

At the end of a tumultuous season, Harsin had blown off a press conference after he had ditched a postgame radio appearance and Mohajir had to go get him at his house.

It was not a pleasant conversation, according to some folks who were there.

ASU avoided the whole firing issue when Boise State picked Harsin, who had been Chris Petersen's offensive coordinator before going to Jonesboro.

All of this makes you wonder exactly who did the vetting for Auburn when they were looking for somebody to take over for Malzahn. They picked Harsin.

Who did the vetting: Allen Greene who’s contract will not be renewed.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Oh, (Harsin) was going to be fired," the source said. "I was standing right there when Terry told him after he had to go get him for a press conference."

Never happened.  AD Terry Mohajir said on twitter yesterday that this story was a fabrication and that he wanted Harsin to stay and was sad to see him go. So, yeah, sorry to burst your bubble.

6 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Yes, actually metafour put that out days ago that there was a real chance he would go to UGA.

I read somewhere else that Caddy also might be entertaining some NFL offers. That came from a sports talk in the Mobile area so who knows but right now I don’t blame them.  Their love for Auburn can only carry them so far, at some point you have to consider your career and work life. 

Zac and Caddy can’t pull all the recruits on their own. 

We are heading for 3starsin with Harsin.  

If that happens, how long before we can afford to part with Harsin?

21 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

At the end of a tumultuous season, Harsin had blown off a press conference after he had ditched a postgame radio appearance and Mohajir had to go get him at his house.

It was not a pleasant conversation, according to some folks who were there.

ASU avoided the whole firing issue when Boise State picked Harsin, who had been Chris Petersen's offensive coordinator before going to Jonesboro.

All of this makes you wonder exactly who did the vetting for Auburn when they were looking for somebody to take over for Malzahn. They picked Harsin.

Who did the vetting: Allen Greene who’s contract will not be renewed.

Come on man!!!! The AD in question has publicly stated that this is all a fabrication. That the writer is absolutely wrong and that he was wanting to keep Harsin at Arky State. Go look it up 

9 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

image.gif.b87590953c2e2e7e21ab3dac87c9dd69.gif

Are we baptizing people into the Aubs against Harsin religion right now. Viper went back a year to gloat. That’s some next level pettiness that I can appreciate.

Oh, bless that broken clock's heart. Genuinely glad they got a dub to feel good about.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

Never happened.  AD Terry Mohajir said on twitter yesterday that this story was a fabrication and that he wanted Harsin to stay and was sad to see him go. So, yeah, sorry to burst your bubble.

So SI continues to print even though its completely false?

No matter how it happens, I hope that he's not our coach this fall. I just don't see a change in trajectory in our program until he's gone.

One issue for me is recruiting,  It's been stated that he hasn't really put much emphasis on recruiting and that he only wants a certain type of player. Does he modify those things if he stays? I can't imagine any parent encouraging their child to come to Auburn unless we have a change in HC. Hell, what good position coaches would come here as well?

We've seen some current players that have supported him, but there have been even more that have remained silent. You can't help but wonder what type of effect that will have on the locker room, whether he stays or goes.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kevon67 said:

So SI continues to print even though its completely false?

People going to choose what they want to believe . Yes it is possible the AD lied. It is also possible the media is running with their source even though it is fabricated. The media is not above lying all of a sudden. To me, there is no such thing as almost and that’s where it ends between truth and falsehood. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

If he wins, everyone will miraculously start liking him and his job would be smooth sailing. If he wins. 

What a waste next year if he stays, this just boggles my mind. Well I guess I can find something to do next fall on Saturdays lol. 

It will be a couple of seasons before we can even think of maybe winning a few more games, due to recruiting which we are already behind on, this is just gonna make it worse, because every player in the country is gonna know he won't be here long. What's the pitch gonna be from Harsin that all this was a lie and I'm really gonna be here. Yeah ok, good luck coach you are gonna need it. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If he wins, everyone will miraculously start liking him and his job would be smooth sailing. If he wins. 

He won't though, he will be a lame duck coach.