Auburn-Florida annual matchup could resume

aubiefifty

Gators Wire ponders if the Auburn-Florida annual matchup could resume

Patrick Conn

follow

May 27, 2022 4:00 pm CT

There was a time when the Auburn Tigers and Florida Gators tangled on an annual basis. Those days have been gone for some time.

From 1945-2002 this game was a staple on the schedule. The teams met twice in 2000 when they faced off in the SEC Championship game. The Tigers came out on the losing side in both of those games. Despite Florida owning the series from 1995-2000, Auburn still owns the series 43-39-2.

Since the annual streak ended in 2002, the two schools have met on the football field just four times with Auburn winning the first three. Florida bested the Tigers in 2019, 24-13.

Pat Dooley of Gators Wire discussed this very game in his “12 ways scheduling changes could affect the SEC” for Gators Wire

What Gators Wire Says…

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

(Some rivalries could be shortchanged)

This includes Florida–LSU, which has become one of the fiercest rivalries in the conference (mostly going back to the hurricane game in 2016). My guess is Florida will lobby to keep that game on an annual basis because it is an automatic big gate.

But the league is going to be trying to figure out how to keep multiple rivalry games together in this new world and it will not be easy. Still, if LSU is no longer a permanent opponent, the two teams would likely play every other year.

(…and Auburn could return)

That was such a big game in the Steve Spurrier era. Certainly, Florida fans were not happy when the other Tigers were dropped from the yearly schedule because it’s the easiest place to get to from Gainesville (other than Jacksonville, of course), but there is a good chance Auburn will come back as one of Florida’s permanent opponents.

Could this be fixed in the near future? With the additions of the Oklahoma Sooners and Texas Longhorns by 2025, there will be changes to the scheduling. The SEC could go with pods or smaller divisions of four teams. The makeup of those pods could include plenty of variations.

Perhaps the conference decides to go with two eight-team divisions. The conference could move Alabama and Auburn out of the West to bring in the two newcomers. There are a lot of moving parts and likely something that could be ironed out in the near future for scheduling purposes.

Share this article

42 shares

Oh dear sweet baby Jesus, don't let that happen! They can't get rid of the Iron Bowl or "The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry", and I wouldn't want them to, but making our third permanent rival another traditional power is just unfair.

I like adding Mississippi State. I actually wouldn't mind making the trip to Starkville every now and then; I found the town very welcoming the one time I went.

• Love 1

Great games in the past. My all time favorite was when we upset them on the plains when Chris leak was running the show. Loudest stadium I ever been in. Would love to have it back

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

Great games in the past. My all time favorite was when we upset them on the plains when Chris leak was running the show. Loudest stadium I ever been in. Would love to have it back

I'll never forget Damon Duval's hook shot field goal kicking against 40 mph crosswinds in the Swamp, or Nix to Sanders Part 2 in 1994. I mean, yeah, it was a great series, no doubt.

But seriously, do you have a death wish? Our three permanent rivals being the three state-name-brand schools of the three most southeastern states? Alabama and Georgia are at all time highs, and UF is prime for becoming a powerhouse at any minute...

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

40 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I'll never forget Damon Duval's hook shot field goal kicking against 40 mph crosswinds in the Swamp, or Nix to Sanders Part 2 in 1994. I mean, yeah, it was a great series, no doubt.

But seriously, do you have a death wish? Our three permanent rivals being the three state-name-brand schools of the three most southeastern states? Alabama and Georgia are at all time highs, and UF is prime for becoming a powerhouse at any minute...

I would agree with swapping UGA/ Fla every other year. That kees both games relatively fresh. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

How about we bring back the AU-Vandy series instead. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I would agree with swapping UGA/ Fla every other year. That kees both games relatively fresh. 

I would love this (1-7/7) but you and I are in the minority.

SI suggested that the “top eight” teams in the conference will get two other “top eight” teams and one “bottom eight” team.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

How about we bring back the AU-Vandy series instead. 

I want to add my vote to this notion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I would be okay with that, except that it would screw with home/away games, because you couldn't just play Georgia at home, then Florida in the Swamp, Georgia at home, Florida in the Swamp. Maybe UGA two years, then Florida two years, alternating back and forth?

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I would be okay with that, except that it would screw with home/away games, because you couldn't just play Georgia at home, then Florida in the Swamp, Georgia at home, Florida in the Swamp. Maybe UGA two years, then Florida two years, alternating back and forth?

Georgia-away/Texas-home, Florida-away/Oklahoma-home, Georgia-home/Texas-away, Florida-home/Oklahoma-away

45 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Georgia-away/Texas-home, Florida-away/Oklahoma-home, Georgia-home/Texas-away, Florida-home/Oklahoma-away

I'd be okay with that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I'd be okay with that.

Actually, you're right--since you'd have an odd number of rotating opponents, you would need to go two years with one set then two years with the other set.

I came up with a schedule idea for a 1-7/7 system (I know they're going to choose the 3-6/6 option, but whatever--they brought it up):

PERMANENT

Alabama-Auburn

Arkansas-Missouri

Florida-Georgia

Kentucky-South Carolina

Louisiana State-Texas A&M

Mississippi-Mississippi State

Oklahoma-Texas

Tennessee-Vanderbilt

YEAR 1-2

Alabama vs. Arkansas

Alabama vs. Florida

Alabama vs. Mississippi

Alabama vs. Oklahoma

Alabama vs. South Carolina

Alabama vs. Texas A&M

Alabama vs. Vanderbilt

Arkansas vs. Florida

Arkansas vs. Mississippi

Arkansas vs. Oklahoma

Arkansas vs. South Carolina

Arkansas vs. Texas A&M

Arkansas vs. Vanderbilt

Auburn vs. Georgia

Auburn vs. Kentucky

Auburn vs. Louisiana State

Auburn vs. Mississippi State

Auburn vs. Missouri

Auburn vs. Tennessee

Auburn vs. Texas

Florida vs. Mississippi

Florida vs. Oklahoma

Florida vs. South Carolina

Florida vs. Texas A&M

Florida vs. Vanderbilt

Georgia vs. Kentucky

Georgia vs. Louisiana State

Georgia vs. Mississippi State

Georgia vs. Missouri

Georgia vs. Tennessee

Georgia vs. Texas

Kentucky vs. Louisiana State

Kentucky vs. Mississippi State

Kentucky vs. Missouri

Kentucky vs. Tennessee

Kentucky vs. Texas

Louisiana State vs. Mississippi State

Louisiana State vs. Missouri

Louisiana State vs. Tennessee

Louisiana State vs. Texas

Mississippi vs. Oklahoma

Mississippi vs. South Carolina

Mississippi vs. Texas A&M

Mississippi vs. Vanderbilt

Mississippi State vs. Missouri

Mississippi State vs. Tennessee

Mississippi State vs. Texas

Missouri vs. Tennessee

Missouri vs. Texas

Oklahoma vs. South Carolina

Oklahoma vs. Texas A&M

Oklahoma vs. Vanderbilt

South Carolina vs. Texas A&M

South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt

Tennessee vs. Texas

Texas A&M vs. Vanderbilt

YEAR 3-4

Alabama vs. Georgia

Alabama vs. Kentucky

Alabama vs. Louisiana State

Alabama vs. Mississippi State

Alabama vs. Missouri

Alabama vs. Tennessee

Alabama vs. Texas

Arkansas vs. Auburn

Arkansas vs. Georgia

Arkansas vs. Kentucky

Arkansas vs. Louisiana State

Arkansas vs. Mississippi State

Arkansas vs. Texas

Arkansas vs. Tennessee

Auburn vs. Florida

Auburn vs. Mississippi

Auburn vs. Oklahoma

Auburn vs. South Carolina

Auburn vs. Texas A&M

Auburn vs. Vanderbilt

Florida vs. Kentucky

Florida vs. Louisiana State

Florida vs. Mississippi State

Florida vs. Missouri

Florida vs. Tennessee

Florida vs. Texas

Georgia vs. Mississippi

Georgia vs. Oklahoma

Georgia vs. South Carolina

Georgia vs. Texas A&M

Georgia vs. Vanderbilt

Kentucky vs. Mississippi

Kentucky vs. Oklahoma

Kentucky vs. South Carolina

Kentucky vs. Texas A&M

Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt

Louisiana State vs. Mississippi

Louisiana State vs. Oklahoma

Louisiana State vs. South Carolina

Louisiana State vs. Vanderbilt

Mississippi vs. Missouri

Mississippi vs. Tennessee

Mississippi vs. Texas

Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma

Mississippi State vs. South Carolina

Mississippi State vs. Texas A&M

Mississippi State vs. Vanderbilt

Missouri vs. Oklahoma

Missouri vs. South Carolina

Missouri vs. Texas A&M

Missouri vs. Vanderbilt

Oklahoma vs. Tennessee

South Carolina vs. Tennessee

South Carolina vs. Texas

Texas vs. Texas A&M

Texas vs. Vanderbilt

Edited by AUwent

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I am a fan and enjoy to be entertained. It’s really not that serious. 

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I meant the latter of your choices.

Edited by Hank2020

14 hours ago, AUwent said:

So the moment of truth is supposedly Friday. Gaahhh....the wait is killing me!

I'm glad you posted this because I've seen SI claim for over a week that the vote was split 7-7 on which format they'd use (1/7 or3/6).  It'll be interesting to get a final verdict tomorrow.  Then folks can use up the next 3 months complaining, whining and some celebrating where the SEC stands. 

I just want the opportunity to go to the swamp more than once every 12 years or whatever it was between visits last time.

I'd love to play Florida or Tennessee again every year.  But it would be putting us at a huge disadvantage, so having Miss. State or someone on that tier would make more sense.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 2:36 PM, Rednilla said:

Duval's kick was in JHS in 2001 against then #1 UF with Rex Grossman at QB - not the swamp.  Lucky enough to be on the sideline and the locker room that night.  could not even hear myself speaking that night it was so loud 

• Thanks 1

My vote would be 3-6/6 but that's only if they get the 3 permanent right.  I suppose 1 permanent primary rival would give the most parity.  I prefer the 9 game schedule, but in this current climate alternating Georgia (could you imagine alternating Bama instead which would shock me) may not be a bad thing now that Kirby is using the Saban "we don't pay players" model 😉 

Edited by AUBwins

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I'd love to play Florida or Tennessee again every year.  But it would be putting us at a huge disadvantage, so having Miss. State or someone on that tier would make more sense.

Can we just kick out everyone added since the 1990s? 10 teams, round robin! Everyone plays the same schedule AND traditional rivalries kept, best of both worlds!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

Duval's kick was in JHS in 2001 against then #1 UF with Rex Grossman at QB - not the swamp.  Lucky enough to be on the sideline and the locker room that night.  could not even hear myself speaking that night it was so loud 

Really? I could have sworn that happened at Florida. Hmm, interesting. 

Thanks for clearing it up, though!

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

You'll have to forget and then re-remember. That game was in JHS. https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/auburn/auburn-vs-florida-2001/

I remember seeing it on TV at my sister's place in Montgomery, I just got mixed up about where it was played.