Mike Farrell on Harsin

AU-24

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I gotcha, I just put them on equal footing due to many new coaches clean house. But understand your premise. I am good with giving an edge to the Hilliard hire as a great move by Harsin.

Ike gets the nod because he is further in his career as a coach. Caddy may one day have the same resume, but as of now, Ike is the more impressive get. 

• Like 3

On 7/5/2022 at 3:16 PM, Mikey said:

It was a good move, but Caddy was already here. The Hillyard thing came from out of the blue.

I'm right there with you but adding on, KEEPING Caddy could be the second best thing he's done.

• Like 1

I think these moves might be equal gets just for contingency and good will sakes. I don’t think you can undervalue the harsh feelings that would’ve been gained if Auburn lost their one constant good for the last few years to a rival, esp when that good is an up and comer, already knows the challenge Auburn intrinsically faces and legitimately loves Auburn.  

Also, until I actually see Ike’s guys out there, I can’t use the coaching history disparity as an overwhelming advantage in his favor. When I see Caddy’s guys out there behind a half decent offensive line, I always see results. Now, if Ike gets that out of his guys, continues recruiting well, then I can see placing him higher on the totem pole 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think these moves might be equal gets just for contingency and good will sakes. I don’t think you can undervalue the harsh feelings that would’ve been gained if Auburn lost their one constant good for the last few years to a rival, esp when that good is an up and comer, already knows the challenge Auburn intrinsically faces and legitimately loves Auburn.  

Also, until I actually see Ike’s guys out there, I can’t use the coaching history disparity as an overwhelming advantage in his favor. When I see Caddy’s guys out there behind a half decent offensive line, I always see results. Now, if Ike gets that out of his guys, continues recruiting well, then I can see placing him higher on the totem pole 

You don't spend 9 seasons as an NFL WR coach if you can't coach WR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

You don't spend 9 seasons as an NFL WR coach if you can't coach WR

I guess we will see! I don’t see much value definitively saying how he’ll perform when we’ll see in a few months. 

If we don't have good QB play this fan base will be screaming about not having a good wr coach as usual not knowing what the hell they are talking about.....the oc install the offense. The head coach oversees and makes sure concepts are being taught.....a wr coach doesn't coach a "pro style" wr......which is why so many look silly with what they would say about Kodi meanwhile people that actually know about football and coaching had complete different evaluations of him than the fan base.

Pro style concepts comes from HC and OC. I wish people would stop trying to place kudos and blame to position coaches when clearly they literally don't like what the heck they are talking about.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I don't understand all this negativity on Harsin. Yeah, we had a rough first year, but how much of that was really his fault?

Recruiting is a concern, but primarily due to quantity - especially at OT - but not quality.

I think a lot of prospects are taking a wait-and-see attitude regarding our competiveness this year. If we show significant improvement, recruiting will improve.

Meanwhile, IMO,  Harsin is doing all the right things to build a solid program, starting with creating the culture he wants and acheiving player buy-in.

We have a long way to go, but I for one, feel very good about the direction he's taking us. We need to be patient and give him time to succeed.

For God's sake, let's avoid JABA for once.

Good post. You'll get criticism for it, but I agree with a lot of that. The way I see it, both sides of the arguments are correct. I like Harsin; however, I acknowledge that he has made some mistakes this first year. Some costly mistakes at that. But on the other hand, I don't see anything from his first year that was so bad he should be in this much hot water right now.

I just appreciate the staff and players linking arms and going down with the ship together right now. They all could've packed tent and run back in February. That would have been the easy thing to do, and no one would have blamed them. Instead, they have all apparenlty come together in a big way. It's admirable and rare in this day and age where unity doesn't seem to be as common.

The players also hear the noise. How could they not. They know that their own fans deride them as "OKG Boise guys" that have no business playing in the SEC. They know we are being picked last. Many players are inherently going to view an attack on the HC, their leader, as an attack on the entire program, including them. Many are tied to Harsin's future here. They are going to the brink to try and pull this off. Time to strap in and get behind them again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If we don't have good QB play this fan base will be screaming about not having a good wr coach as usual not knowing what the hell they are talking about.....the oc install the offense. The head coach oversees and makes sure concepts are being taught.....a wr coach doesn't coach a "pro style" wr......which is why so many look silly with what they would say about Kodi meanwhile people that actually know about football and coaching had complete different evaluations of him than the fan base.

Pro style concepts comes from HC and OC. I wish people would stop trying to place kudos and blame to position coaches when clearly they literally don't like what the heck they are talking about.

Is medical school a bad analogy? Like how all doctors go to med school and know the big picture of medicine, but then they got their specialties? Look at Corn Williams for example. He's a lifelong Tony Franklin system guy from HS until he took the job here. Apparently that system is quite different than Harsin's, and Caddy, Bobo and all them are lifelong pro-styles.

Would that not hinder a guy like Corn at all? You obviously understand football, but are not as experienced in the specific system as your fellow assistants? Seems like getting thrown into the deep end with no life ring if you ask me

47 minutes ago, au302 said:

Is medical school a bad analogy? Like how all doctors go to med school and know the big picture of medicine, but then they got their specialties? Look at Corn Williams for example. He's a lifelong Tony Franklin system guy from HS until he took the job here. Apparently that system is quite different than Harsin's, and Caddy, Bobo and all them are lifelong pro-styles.

Would that not hinder a guy like Corn at all? You obviously understand football, but are not as experienced in the specific system as your fellow assistants? Seems like getting thrown into the deep end with no life ring if you ask me

So any good wr is good. There are literally hundreds of wr's from different systems and they get to the NFL and produce. But once again if there are things not being taught that would literally be on the head coach and offensive coordinator. When you say look at corn it's literally just people making stuff up. The wr's didn't get better when he left. QB play got somewhat better and that just comes with chemistry. 

A wr coach doesn't install an offense. If any concepts needs to be changed or improved then the HC and oc makes it. It has to be somebody on here that has played wr or db or coached that people like that can explain this. 

Our problem last year was we used our smallest and least explosive guys to try to make big plays on the outside. We had a QB that couldn't throw the ball down field and was more of a jump ball thrower than a throw you open to set you up for yards after the catch. 

A wr coach doesn't control what routes in a route tree are ran at any given time. Actually depending on the head coach the wr coach may not even get to pick all of his own drills that gets used. 

What really should be pointed out as far as coach corn is he had a team full of wr's that didn't have experience and they were learning a new offense.....so yeah everybody was going to have a leaning curve.....but of course here at Auburn all it took was one guy on Twitter to completely make something up or exaggerate something like a couple of times wr's get confused with who is in and who isn't but instead it's said it happened 8 times and you have the old people who shouldn't even be using

Twitter start retweeting and sharing stuff that's not true and the fan base buy into it......literally one of our major beat writers had to make a rant about it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, au302 said:

And what do you mean lifelong Franklin guy?

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

and you have the old people who shouldn't even be using Twitter start retweeting…

Oh, so you’re an age-ist?  Cool.  Mods, lock down the thread!

Edited by AUDevil

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

..but of course here at Auburn all it took was one guy on Twitter to completely make something up or exaggerate something like a couple of times wr's get confused with who is in and who isn't but instead it's said it happened 8 times and you have the old people who shouldn't even be using

You really don't like more experienced, mature people do you? Multiple times on this board you've had something derogatory to say about "old people". There is a term for this form of bigotry. It's called Ageism. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ageist

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

11 pages is enough on Mr. Farrell.....bye bye

Thanks Gunsmith  

Least you could say is your welcome but thanks again for your contribution

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1