Who do you start next week at qb?

gr82b4au

9 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’ll dig into the advanced stats later and challenge this. That might be a little misleading. 

A little?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’ll dig into the advanced stats later and challenge this. That might be a little misleading. 

The average yards per carry, is spot on. Not meant to be misleading at all. I was responding to the comment: at least Gus would pound away at the running game. Regardless of what stat you come up with, 4.8 yards per carry is certainly pounding the rock in the running game.

Mainly, the point I’m making is, Harsin has been a dumpster fire, and some are still blaming this on Gus. Please see what I posted just a couple comments ago, about the talent Harsin was left with.

Losing five in a row, not plugging the holes on the offensive line, getting embarrassed at home to a mediocre Big Ten school? Blame lies at the feet of Coach Harsin.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Lol, he stays away out of embarrassment, then someone says something, even a little thing, positive about Gus, and he reappears.

Yards per carry avg:

2017 - 4.8

2018 - 4.3

2019 - 4.7

2020 - 4.8

Please note the average yards per carry in 2020 was the exact same as 2017.

Offensive production steadily declined as line recruiting steadily declined. Below is our per game average for rushing, passing, and total. For context, in 2020, Ole Miss had 545 yards per game on offense and bama had 532.

rush       pass     total

2013 - 328.4  - 164.1 - 492.5

2014 - 255.8  - 222.5  - 478.3

2015 - 196.3  - 162.8  - 359.1

2016 - 271.3   - 159.1  -  430.4

2017 - 218.3   - 217.4  - 435.7

2018 - 167.5  - 209.5  - 377

2019 - 199.1  - 197.0  - 396.1

2020 - 162.5  - 211.1  - 373.2

The offensive line is the biggest issue, it will take years to fix, and we are going to be a bad team until it is. Friend should have been replaced last year for the lack of recruiting and the recruiting will likely be the same this year.  

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

The average yards per carry, is spot on. Not meant to be misleading at all. I was responding to the comment: at least Gus would pound away at the running game. Regardless of what stat you come up with, 4.8 yards per carry is certainly pounding the rock in the running game.

Mainly, the point I’m making is, Harsin has been a dumpster fire, and some are still blaming this on Gus. Please see what I posted just a couple comments ago, about the talent Harsin was left with.

Losing five in a row, not plugging the holes on the offensive line, getting embarrassed at home to a mediocre Big Ten school? Blame lies at the feet of Coach Harsin.

Gus left this program a disaster but Harsin hasn’t done anything to help. They should have lived in the transfer portal for OL guys. You can pay players now. That is pathetic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Regardless of what stat you come up with, 4.8 yards per carry is certainly pounding the rock in the running game.

The fact that you think so is awesome!

Silly me forgetting those vaunted 2018-'20 rushing attacks. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Gus left this program a disaster but Harsin hasn’t done anything to help. They should have lived in the transfer portal for OL guys. You can pay players now. That is pathetic. 

This right here is the correct answer.   It’s amazing that everyone is not in agreement with this.  It shows how far divided auburn is as a program and fan base.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

Agree 100%! If the OL was struggling with all new names from the portal and a bunch of FR on the bench, Harsin wouldn't be getting nearly as much heat as he is getting. But this is Year 3+ of us trotting out a bunch of C-USA linemen and expecting a different result

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The fact that you think so is awesome!

Silly me forgetting those vaunted 2018-'20 rushing attacks.  

Bird you know you are in a losing battle right no matter what facts you throw at him he will still argue 🤣 You of all people should know that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woodford said:

I'm out of reacts. So I agree. 

• Like 1

End of the day the QB won’t matter with the OLine play. TJ has been the better QB while Robbie is the better athlete. A few of us have been saying for 5 years this was coming and few listened. People want to peg this on Harsin when he hasn’t been given an opportunity without a constant cloud overhead. Unfortunately I will be surprised if he makes it to years end and just a fair warning but it will be atleast another 3 years before we sniff a top ten ranking again.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Bird you know you are in a losing battle right no matter what facts you throw at him he will still argue 🤣 You of all people should know that. 

Just because he knows the words doesn't mean he knows exactly how to apply them correctly.

• Like 1

At this point, I think all you can do is start your best running quarterback and,,, revise your playbook.  No more of the blocking schemes designed for better talent.  We have got to stop thinking our OL is going to get to the second level.

How many times yesterday did you see a lineman leave his primary block (to get to the second level) and, allow Tank or, Jarquez to get tackled at the LOS?

I think we have enough OL talent to block straight ahead and play power run football but, that is about all.  Fortunately, we have backs that can play IF they can just get out of the backfield. 

This, and some well conceived quick pass plays is about all we can do.  We simply do not have the OL talent for a complex, complete scheme.  Continuing to try to run the current offense without the OL talent to effectively block for it, is just not very intelligent.

If you cannot play talent football, you have to play tough football.  We're not thoroughbreds, maybe we can be clydesdales.

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

If you cannot play talent football, you have to play tough football.  We're not thoroughbreds, maybe we can be clydesdales.

How do we play to the strengths of a jackass?

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

Honestly feel bad for whoever starts. There’s just no way to develop behind this OL. And the play calling yesterday left much to be desired. 

Yep and I hope it's not Holden. He needs to stay out of this mess until we can bring in a new HC and hopefully convince him to stay. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

Calzada next week. Depending on how long Harsin survives, he'll probably trot out Geriner at some point just to say he played his guy.

One thing I find ironic is that if you look at Harsin at his best in his career, it was with QB's like Moore, Rypien, and Bachmeier. Semi-mobile pro-style QB's that weren't overly talented, but super smart.

He gets here and decides to go opposite. Dual threats (Nix/Ashford) and statue (TJ) who have great physical talent, but not much IQ. Stare down receivers, etc.

I really wonder how things would have played out if a guy like Bachmeir came here with him. It's hindsight at this point and doesn't matter, but it's a lesson to never forget who you are and abandon what got you where you were. Harsin overthought it

Just now, autiger88 said:

Yep and I hope it's not Holden. He nees to stay out of this mess until we can bring in a new HC and hopefully convince him to stay. 

Was thinking the same about Holden. Won’t do him any good to go out there and I still have high hopes for him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, cbo said:

Was thinking the same about Holden. Won’t do him any good to go out there and I still have high hopes for him. 

Yep same. I think he would be Bo Nix 2.0 if he gets thrown out there now. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

Following that performance,old school coaches would have a blood bath Sunday scrimmage but the coaching was so bad it would be impossible to justify.The coaches should be running stadium steps for putting that hot garbage on the field.

• Like 1