Men vs Northwestern

tgrogan21

25 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He needs the ball more and our guards need to move better without the ball for him. We should’ve been living in the post with him tonight. Bruce needs to get a hold of this team because it’s horrible basketball when the guards just run down and jack up shot after shot. 

The guards are not doing a good job of showing for Broome when the double and triple team comes. It’s early but the better teams are going to beat us. playing at home is a big advantage for us but as of now, no way this team is SEC road ready. Hopefully the tournament is a way for us to find our style of play.

I agree we need to get him the ball significantly more but the times he gets it I just wish he was playing a beat quicker. 

I'm very worried about St Louis, Memphis, the PAC12 teams and as far as conference play goes? I'm not very optimistic. Our defense cannot carry tonight-level bad of offense through that type of competition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jluvah said:

won’t happen. I think of Bruce like I do Saban. Helluva recruiter; mediocre in-game coach

That's harsh. Bruce likes to give his guys freedom; esp. at the guard position. I do think he needs to reign this group in more but at the same time, it's what has made his teams successful. He has flaws like any other coach but i'm sure there are a number of other programs that would love to have him. 

It's obvious that this team will have to win with defense and hustle the entire 40 minutes. The shots aren't falling from anywhere on the court. 3 pointers and free throw's are REALLY bad!!!

We also struggled from the 3 point line last season. Somehow Bruce makes it all work. We are 34-6 in our last 40 games and have an SEC Title mixed in those 40 games as well. Absolutely amazed at that win-loss record considering that Wendell Green Jr and KD Johnson handle the basketball so much. 

Bruce has got to get through to Wendell about cutting down on his mental mistakes. As a PG, it all runs through Wendell. If Bruce can get this team to take better shots, look out!!! WDE

@Tiger, do you think we can grow into an elite team this year or is our scoring talent limiting that ceiling?

I’m trying to gauge if we can grow into it like 2019 or if that team was drastically different.  

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

@Tiger, do you think we can grow into an elite team this year or is our scoring talent limiting that ceiling?

I’m trying to gauge if we can grow into it like 2019 or if that team was drastically different.  

We can beat anyone this year but we’ll be closer to last year because our guard play will be our limiting factor.

my guess that’s why westry got more minutes at PG cuz we need him to perform 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The 2019 team was 3rd in the nation in 3pt made per game, and 36th in 3pt%. 

We are currently 273rd in 3pt per game and 334th in percentage. 

We are a very bad shooting team.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

There are shades of 2020 team as far as the offensive struggles go IMO but that team had 2 senior ball handlers with Final Four experience to guide us. Along with 2 other seniors in the lineup. 

We are going to have to win in ugly fashion each game and hope our defense can give us opportunities to win against better competition because we are not gonna win many high scoring shootouts this year. 

I think we will be good I don't think we have enough natural shooting ability to be great. If we are able to grind out a top 4 SEC finish I'll be ecstatic

• Thanks 1

Northwestern had the perfect gameplan. That game was played exactly the way they wanted it too. They were executing almost to perfection Kermit Davis stall ball and forcing us to play in the half court. We had been able to get the rock cleanly to the post every game Broome had played in before this one but they made it extremely difficult this game. The rare times he caught the ball in the interior they doubled and we didn’t make them pay for it. 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:33 PM, Tiger said:

We will go where Wendell takes us. Right now it's to the toilet

😂😂 bro he was looking really good and improved for the first 5 games. But again just like last season big guards are terrible matchups for us and really bother him.

On 11/23/2022 at 9:51 PM, jluvah said:

won’t happen. I think of Bruce like I do Saban. Helluva recruiter; mediocre in-game coach

You don’t think he’s a good actual coach!? We won 25 games in 19/20 with all the final four backups plus okoro. He’s a absolute hell of a coach. You don’t win 3 total sec titles and go to a final 4 without being a good cowch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The key to improvement for this team is Chance Westry. He's going to have to be elite for this team to be elite. Otherwise we are just last year's team with a somewhat diminished front court.

On 11/24/2022 at 8:19 PM, Dunndone414 said:

The 2019 team was 3rd in the nation in 3pt made per game, and 36th in 3pt%. 

We are currently 273rd in 3pt per game and 334th in percentage. 

We are a very bad shooting team.

Perhaps that will improve as CBP works them into a coherent team. HOWEVER, the glaring weakness this year, as became apparent late last season, is outside shooting. I'm not sure CBP can overcome this weakness with coaching alone. As a result, I think the SEC schedule is .... um .... "daunting" to say the least.

#2 Houston just won against Kent State (who is 30 spots below Northwestern) 49-44. Houston played at home. Games like these happen, I'm happy to still be undefeated!

Edited by tgrogan21