Top 3 football facility, amazing NIL, top 10 Salary

gr82b4au

Sitting in one of the best recruiting locations in the country, with a rabid and loyal fan base…. 
Our choices should never have been 1) immature Twitter loving average coach Lane Kiffen or 2) put-auburn in a negative spotlight again average coach H Freeze.

Auburn is a powder keg with the right coach. Why are we settling? That is so frustrating. 

When will Auburn learn that paying for an elite coach is worth a hell of a lot more than paying coaches to leave.  

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm seeing Nebraska, Wisconsin, Georgia tech all making or closing in on solid coaching candidates smoothly and on time to capitalize on transfers and set up their programs. We are conducting another tortuous and "top secret" search that is allowing the media to write a narrative that may or may not be factual, but is making Auburn look like buffoons. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with Cohen to date. 

• Like 3

Perception is reality but perception is not always accurate. It’s possible we are victims of our previous coaching hiccups. We have everything to offer but like I said before we have shown we can be a little crazy at times.

• Like 2

Hard to pin down why AU is so bad at hiring coaches. 

Is AU perceived by coaches as a bad gig?  Incompetence on the staff's part?  Stupidity?  Arrogance?  Fear?  

I now imagine the hiring team as Tommy Boy with a sale.  The only difference being that, in the end, Tommy Boy overcame his incompetence. 

image.png

• Haha 1

It’s super frustrating obviously, for all of us. My only solace is that- ill informed fan message board hysterics aside- our new University leadership has played this close to the vest and still have a chance to deliver the product we all want. We simply don’t know what’s going on and that has us all fearing the worst. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Sitting in one of the best recruiting locations in the country, with a rabid and loyal fan base…. 
Our choices should never have been 1) immature Twitter loving average coach Lane Kiffen or 2) put-auburn in a negative spotlight again average coach H Freeze.

Auburn is a powder keg with the right coach. Why are we settling? That is so frustrating. 

When will Auburn learn that paying for an elite coach is worth a hell of a lot more than paying coaches to leave.  

Honestly I think part of the problem goes back to the hiring of an AD, that really should have been done a lot sooner and I think that would have made for a smoother coaching search. That IMHO is on Roberts, the AD position should have been done much sooner, late summer etc. Cohen came in late and had to get up to speed etc, not making excuses but still I think that delayed things...

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

It’s super frustrating obviously, for all of us. My only solace is that- ill informed fan message board hysterics aside- our new University leadership has played this close to the vest and still have a chance to deliver the product we all want. We simply don’t know what’s going on and that has us all fearing the worst. 

+1 I mean its not like they did such a good job last time *cough* Harsin...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

You are correct. Part of that fear resides in the fact that every other opening in college football has their man except for us, and we have been open for more than a month. Nebraska, Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin all hired their coaches today. They were ready. 
Obviously we were not ready Unless some announcement comes out tonight…

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Hey now, you get out of here with your logic and rational thinking... all we(message board morons) want is to overreact to every morsel of information spewed out by an obviously ill-informed media... 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I agree. Something tells me if it’s not Freeze it may actually be a massive hire like Dabo. All those “experts” saying Kiffin would be the HC on Friday were all dead wrong like usual. 

I am not buying this Brian Johnson talk for one second. Cohen is not that stupid. 

22 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Honestly I think part of the problem goes back to the hiring of an AD, that really should have been done a lot sooner and I think that would have made for a smoother coaching search. That IMHO is on Roberts, the AD position should have been done much sooner, late summer etc. Cohen came in late and had to get up to speed etc, not making excuses but still I think that delayed things...

I’m guessing we were very clearly about to hire Hartwell and then the sexual assault scandal at USU happened. Granted, he very likely would’ve hired Grimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Bottom line: we need to reset our Brand. Maybe we’re not settling and it ain’t about money. Maybe our long-standing dysfunction and/or perception caught up with us. Our job shouldn’t be a search so much as vetting all The super qualified candidates who applied on day one. But that didn’t happen last time or this time apparently. Instead, we’re getting reports of ‘reaching out’ to candidates, who if interested would’ve reached out to us by now. I’m still holding out hope that we’ve got our guy and it’s just been a very discrete process. We will know soon. 

• Like 3

Auburn has a bit of an identity crisis. We believe we're a 2nd teir job behind all three 3-4 blue bloods, but we're really a 3rd teir job in the 12-20 range.

We try to punch up during coaching hires and fail for a while. It's what is happening now.

What's more, TV money has become so great our financial advantages over teams like Ole Miss or really and of the bottom 8-9 SEC teams just isn't material. Ole Miss, he'll even Kentucky, can now easily pay a coach 8mm+.

We are a good job. We aren't an amazing job. We aren't a destination job. Add to the fact that our BOT is a constant disaster and here we are

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, woodford said:

I agree. Something tells me if it’s not Freeze it may actually be a massive hire like Dabo

Put down the woodford

49 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

'we all want'......

We? Heck half this board wouldn't take Kirby Smart because of his haircut or offense or where he attends church! Or doesn't. Saying AU fans are a little crazy is like saying the Grand Canyon is a ditch. I can't blame any coach for going to a school that will have give him some time and be a little less judgemental of his every move. That said, whoever we get , may he turn out to be a great hire , no matter who it is.

WDE.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Who should we get?

Cohen may end up being a fine AD but still an underwhelming hire. We should have aimed bigger and thrown a ton of money to a senior person in NFL/NBA marketing. If we want to be a top 10 athletic department that’s what you do. 

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

My disappointment is a dumpster fire Nebraska made a huge hire, Wisconsin got a coach who has been difficult to get yet here we're sitting appearing like we have our thumbs up our asses. Maybe they have a top line coach waiting for more games to be played? I hope that's the case because if it's not we've been dummied. 

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I'm seeing Nebraska, Wisconsin, Georgia tech all making or closing in on solid coaching candidates smoothly and on time to capitalize on transfers and set up their programs. We are conducting another tortuous and "top secret" search that is allowing the media to write a narrative that may or may not be factual, but is making Auburn look like buffoons. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with Cohen to date. 

This is the state run Bammer media, and ESPN, that have no love for Auburn. I do agree, do what is best for Auburn! Put opinions and politics aside, and do what’s best for Auburn!

these articles about how disappointed the Auburn fan base is because we didn’t get Kiffin are just hilarious. Probably 30% to 40% of the Fanbase didn’t want Kiffin. Now supposedly they’re getting tons of emails, calls etc. to not hire Freeze. Probably 30% of 40% of them are coming from bammers just to make this process look worse than it is.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Auburn has a bit of an identity crisis. We believe we're a 2nd teir job behind all three 3-4 blue bloods, but we're really a 3rd teir job in the 12-20 range.

We try to punch up during coaching hires and fail for a while. It's what is happening now.

What's more, TV money has become so great our financial advantages over teams like Ole Miss or really and of the bottom 8-9 SEC teams just isn't material. Ole Miss, he'll even Kentucky, can now easily pay a coach 8mm+.

We are a good job. We aren't an amazing job. We aren't a destination job. Add to the fact that our BOT is a constant disaster and here we are

Agree with this besides the very last sentence--it seems like this is only a problem with football...

In football, I feel like us, Arkansas, South Carolina and Tennessee are all roughly on the same level of coaching desirability.

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

Hard to pin down why AU is so bad at hiring coaches. 

Is AU perceived by coaches as a bad gig?  Incompetence on the staff's part?  Stupidity?  Arrogance?  Fear?  

I now imagine the hiring team as Tommy Boy with a sale.  The only difference being that, in the end, Tommy Boy overcame his incompetence. 

image.png

The long and short of it is we rather save some money go “cheap” and keep playing the coaching roulette game. Usc and lsu showed last year how you get it done hiring a proven coach away from a good job and situation.  AU has shown over and over that we aren’t willing to do what it takes financially speaking to get a splash hire.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Agree with this besides the very last sentence--it seems like this is only a problem with football...

In football, us, Arkansas, South Carolina and Tennessee are all roughly on the same level of coaching desirability.

Ummmm wtf!? South Carolina and Arkansas aren’t close to the level of job as us and Tennessee. SMH! 🤦‍♂️ Before spurrier they only had 1 nine win season in their football history… why do you say stupid ish like this?

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ummmm wtf!? South Carolina and Arkansas aren’t close to the level of job as us and Tennessee. Wtf!? Before spurrier they only had 1 nine win season in their football history… why do you say stupid ish like this?

Because the way people such as yourself view our desirability and everyone else views it are widely apart. We are smack in the middle of the greatest dynasty in the history of the sport and a rapidly ascending one. And we insist on playing both every year. We are also not a flagship school.

Maybe we are above USCe and Arky in terms of job desirability. But we're at least as far below USCw and LSU, sorry.

Edited by AUwent

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

In football, I feel like us, Arkansas, South Carolina and Tennessee are all roughly on the same level of coaching desirability.

We are def higher than them