Welcome Cyrus Kouandjio

Tiger Growlin

Impossible?  Not a chance.  Difficult?  Absolutely.  I would think that aside from the many, many hours that architecture students have to spend on projects that would be difficult to fit into a big-time football player's schedule, the most practical concern may be the length of the program being 5 yrs.  But I suspect that can be overcome as well even if he leaves early for the NFL.  Maybe they could wicker his schedule so that his most time consuming classes were in the Spring and Summer and he could then take his less time consuming classes during the Fall semester?  

Several years back, I periodically studied with an All-American (AND Academic All-American!) AU football player as we completed our engineering degrees, which was no walk in the park either.  So it can be done.  Don't give up your dream Cyrus and War Eagle!

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WELL every analyst of both Rivals and 247 have him going to Bama....would love the upset here ... but it's hard to see unless Jonesy just happen to tap into the right person...btw at least 247 is unanimous on both Wright and Florence to Auburn

Quick question: where did this talk about him potentially being an architecture major come from?  Was it just speculation, or did he actually say something to that effect? 

Regardless, I don't know that Auburn having an architecture program necessarily helps us out that much, simply because I don't think that if he comes to Auburn, he will end up majoring in architecture.  I am currently in architecture at Auburn, and I can honestly say that there is no way that someone could manage the necessary that both football and architecture demand.  I think that the coaches would kind of let him know this, if he were thinking about taking on that major at Auburn.

Isn't that the major of that QB Luck at Stanford?

I've seen you guys first hand, and you live in the land of the midnight sun.  It must be achievable somehow.  Maybe he gets the prereq's out of the way and comes back after a successful NFL career and finishes>

I honestly struggled with regard to whether or not I should post this.  I didn't want it to any way be seen as a slight to Cyrus, or any other AU recruit considering architecture.  But, I just can't see how it would be possible.  First, I'll just say that the prereq's aren't the issue at all.  I finished my core in freshman year, due to AP credit, and those few core classes didn't make any difference really in how much time I had to dedicate to school.  It's the 6-hour studio class that is the issue.  I remember thinking about it during the week leading up to the SEC Championship game, which happened to coincide with the week leading up to our final reviews.  There were many days, where I left Dudley Hall only to eat and shower, and at one point went 54 strait hours before finally getting to sleep.  I just don't see how that would be acceptable, for an athlete who was also expected to day in and day out perform at a D1 level.  There is a reason there are no varsity football or basketball players, currently in AU's Architecture program.  In fact, the only football player in the College of Architecture, Design, and Construction last year was Neil Caudle who majored in Building Science.

As for Andrew Luck, I can't say to much about his situation because I don't know that much about his degree, or Stanford's program.  I've heard that Luck was in a hybrid-architecture program and also that he is in a BA-Architecture program, though I don't know if either of these is actually true.  I can say in full confidence though that Auburn's Architecture program is one of the most intense in the country, which is why we hopped Cornell this past year for first place in Design Intelligence Magazine as the "Most Admired Program by the Deans of Architecture".

I thought that Ryan Pugh was in Building Science as well. :dunno:

Quick question: where did this talk about him potentially being an architecture major come from?  Was it just speculation, or did he actually say something to that effect? 

Regardless, I don't know that Auburn having an architecture program necessarily helps us out that much, simply because I don't think that if he comes to Auburn, he will end up majoring in architecture.  I am currently in architecture at Auburn, and I can honestly say that there is no way that someone could manage the necessary that both football and architecture demand.  I think that the coaches would kind of let him know this, if he were thinking about taking on that major at Auburn.

Isn't that the major of that QB Luck at Stanford?

I've seen you guys first hand, and you live in the land of the midnight sun.  It must be achievable somehow.  Maybe he gets the prereq's out of the way and comes back after a successful NFL career and finishes>

I honestly struggled with regard to whether or not I should post this.  I didn't want it to any way be seen as a slight to Cyrus, or any other AU recruit considering architecture.  But, I just can't see how it would be possible.  First, I'll just say that the prereq's aren't the issue at all.  I finished my core in freshman year, due to AP credit, and those few core classes didn't make any difference really in how much time I had to dedicate to school.  It's the 6-hour studio class that is the issue.  I remember thinking about it during the week leading up to the SEC Championship game, which happened to coincide with the week leading up to our final reviews.  There were many days, where I left Dudley Hall only to eat and shower, and at one point went 54 strait hours before finally getting to sleep.  I just don't see how that would be acceptable, for an athlete who was also expected to day in and day out perform at a D1 level.  There is a reason there are no varsity football or basketball players, currently in AU's Architecture program.  In fact, the only football player in the College of Architecture, Design, and Construction last year was Neil Caudle who majored in Building Science.

As for Andrew Luck, I can't say to much about his situation because I don't know that much about his degree, or Stanford's program.  I've heard that Luck was in a hybrid-architecture program and also that he is in a BA-Architecture program, though I don't know if either of these is actually true.  I can say in full confidence though that Auburn's Architecture program is one of the most intense in the country, which is why we hopped Cornell this past year for first place in Design Intelligence Magazine as the "Most Admired Program by the Deans of Architecture".

Luck's program is quite different from yours at Auburn:

http://cee.stanford.edu/programs/archdesign/index.html

Impossible?  Not a chance.  Difficult?  Absolutely.  I would think that aside from the many, many hours that architecture students have to spend on projects that would be difficult to fit into a big-time football player's schedule, the most practical concern may be the length of the program being 5 yrs.  But I suspect that can be overcome as well even if he leaves early for the NFL.  Maybe they could wicker his schedule so that his most time consuming classes were in the Spring and Summer and he could then take his less time consuming classes during the Fall semester?  

Several years back, I periodically studied with an All-American (AND Academic All-American!) AU football player as we completed our engineering degrees, which was no walk in the park either.  So it can be done.  Don't give up your dream Cyrus and War Eagle!

Perhaps impossible was the wrong word.  But I will say that AU's architecture program is probably the least accommodating program I've ever seen at any University.  After first year, studio classes (the main component of the curriculum) are only offered Fall and Spring Semester on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and all run from 1 to 5 P.M. without exception.  Beyond that, the issue with architecture isn't necessarily the academic difficulty, like it is with a major like Engineering, Physics, or Biomechanics for example; it truly is just the time.  There is no doubt in my mind, that these athletes that take on these challenging majors are both extremely intelligent and deticated, and their brilliance allows them to succeed academically without having to spend as much time studying as many of their colleagues, thus allowing them to fit the grueling schedule of football into their lives.  With Architecture however, it really doesn't matter how brilliant you are, a good model for a final presentation, for example, is going to take around 50 hours to physically build, and there is simply no way around that.  And when you might only have 5 days to build that model, things can get a little bit out of hand.  I don't really want to belabor this issue much further, and will say that if Cyrus does come to Auburn for Architecture, I will wish him nothing but the best.  I just hope he is being made well aware now, of what he would be in for.

Perhaps impossible was the wrong word.  But I will say that AU's architecture program is probably the least accommodating program I've ever seen at any University.  After first year, studio classes (the main component of the curriculum) are only offered Fall and Spring Semester on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and all run from 1 to 5 P.M. without exception.  Beyond that, the issue with architecture isn't necessarily the academic difficulty, like it is with a major like Engineering, Physics, or Biomechanics for example; it truly is just the time.  There is no doubt in my mind, that these athletes that take on these challenging majors are both extremely intelligent and deticated, and their brilliance allows them to succeed academically without having to spend as much time studying as many of their colleagues, thus allowing them to fit the grueling schedule of football into their lives.  With Architecture however, it really doesn't matter how brilliant you are, a good model for a final presentation, for example, is going to take around 50 hours to physically build, and there is simply no way around that.  And when you might only have 5 days to build that model, things can get a little bit out of hand.  I don't really want to belabor this issue much further, and will say that if Cyrus does come to Auburn for Architecture, I will wish him nothing but the best.  I just hope he is being made well aware now, of what he would be in for.

You're right.  Any architecture student trying to play football or basketball would require significant latitude and accommodation.  With that, a very dedicated, driven, bright guy could do it-- but it would not be easy.

I thought that Ryan Pugh was in Building Science as well. :dunno:

He may very well be in building science also. I knew that Neil was in building science because during one Convocations, the adviser for the college talked about Neil being the representative for the CADC on the football field.  It is quite possible that she could have forgotten about Ryan though.

Luck's program is quite different from yours at Auburn:

http://cee.stanford.edu/programs/archdesign/index.html

Yeah, I guess that solves that mystery. It looks like Stanford's program is actually a 4-year offshoot of their engineering school.  This means that Luck would have to do 2-years of Graduate School before he could get licensed.

WELL every analyst of both Rivals and 247 have him going to Bama....would love the upset here ... but it's hard to see unless Jonesy just happen to tap into the right person...btw at least 247 is unanimous on both Wright and Florence to Auburn

Looks like our chances are getting smaller,but we still will finish with a top 5 class.I think there will be a suprise or two also. :wareagle:

Looks like our chances are getting smaller,but we still will finish with a top 5 class.I think there will be a suprise or two also. :wareagle:

I don't know if it's getting smaller or if we ever had a chance but at least we got in the conversation which is something new. I could care less about any suprises if we signed all we have committed plus Erique and Gabe I'd be thrilled

I don't know if it's getting smaller or if we ever had a chance but at least we got in the conversation which is something new. I could care less about any suprises if we signed all we have committed plus Erique and Gabe I'd be thrilled

I like suprises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6_1Pw1xm9U

:thumbsup:

You're right.  Any architecture student trying to play football or basketball would require significant latitude and accommodation.  With that, a very dedicated, driven, bright guy could do it-- but it would not be easy.

At least there's a program available; I'd rather be going into this kid's recruitment with an architecture program available, than not. Besides, if all goes to plan, he may be able to take a couple of architecture classes here and there to get his architecture fix and be merry. Who knows.

I studied Architecture for three years at AU before figuring out that it wasn't exactly what I wanted to do. I don't remember his name now, but there was a football player in the curriculum when I was there. I want to say he was a year ahead of me? I forget now (many moons ago), but it can be done. It just requires a lot of discipline, and, of course, a very serious interest in what you are doing.

I studied Architecture for three years at AU before figuring out that it wasn't exactly what I wanted to do. I don't remember his name now, but there was a football player in the curriculum when I was there. I want to say he was a year ahead of me? I forget now (many moons ago), but it can be done. It just requires a lot of discipline, and, of course, a very serious interest in what you are doing.

And the arch students take an oath to never sleep for their 5 years at AU.  WDE !!!

I doubt anyone knows what Big C is going to do at this pt, except him. He's an indep person who won't follow typical trends, that's clear. So, I think this favors us at this pt. Personally, I think there's going to be quite a few coaches that tune in tomorrow at 8am just like us.

Call me crazy but I have a feeling we are all shocked when he goes to New Mexico. I think he said he has a lot of family there and that was the first school out of his mouth when asked about his choices.

New Mexico is where his fdormer coach is.  This is a AU bammer battle.  I still think we edge them out with early playing time the deciding factor.  He will make the best choice for him.

I don't know CK but hopefully someone clued him in to the statistics of students changing majors.  I believe the average is 3 during a typical 4-5 year college stint.  I started thinking Arch but went with Building Science in the end.  Auburn has many different direction CK can go once he starts getting into classes.  Come on down to the plains. :thumbsup:

Kristen Kenney of Fox Sports and Jamie Newberg of ESPN are both reporting Kouandjio will now be announcing at his school at noon EST

tomorrow I'm assuming?

Kristen Kenney of Fox Sports and Jamie Newberg of ESPN are both reporting Kouandjio will now be announcing at his school at noon EST

tomorrow I'm assuming?

yea and it should still be on espnu but it's at noon EST now.  he will be announcing with other teammates.

From readings here and elsewhere, Cyrus K. is likely to be thinking better than many of his age.  About career opportunities.  He's been taught that life is a long run, not a quick sprint.  His family moved to the USA for better educational opportunities.  Which is why I could easily picture Cyrus Kouanjio as an architect.

"Don't tell me I can't, and don't tell me I've got to." - from my father.

Life is a long run, not a wind sprint.  Educational opportunity is important to Cyrus K.

He's easily 3 and out, if he stays healthy.  And if he does well in the NFL, his great career there could still be over at age 30 or 35.  Life is really just getting started at that age, and it could go up from there or down.  I've read multiple times that something like 70% of NFL players are not in good financial condition after their playing days - here's how he'll beat those odds.  So he gets 3 years of college.  I'm sure he'd like to get the max out of those years, and not just in football.  He'll want to be in position to finish his degree in his field of interest if he wants.  What if he got injured - heaven forbid, he may never make it to the NFL.  He should be IN POSITION to complete his DESIRED degree, in consideration of his other life goals.  I think he has a plan beyond football that most of us haven't considered.  And if he is interested in architecture . . .

From readings here and elsewhere, Cyrus K. is likely to be thinking better than many of his age.  About career opportunities.  He's been taught that life is a long run, not a quick sprint.  His family moved to the USA for better educational opportunities.  Which is why I could easily picture Cyrus Kouanjio as an architect.

Life is a long run, not a wind sprint.  Educational opportunity is important to Cyrus K.

He's easily 3 and out, if he stays healthy.  And if he does well in the NFL, his great career there could still be over at age 30 or 35.  Life is really just getting started at that age, and it could go up from there or down.  I've read multiple times that something like 70% of NFL players are not in good financial condition after their playing days - here's how he'll beat those odds.  So he gets 3 years of college.  I'm sure he'd like to get the max out of those years, and not just in football.  He'll want to be in position to finish his degree in his field of interest if he wants.  What if he got injured - heaven forbid, he may never make it to the NFL.  He should be IN POSITION to complete his DESIRED degree, in consideration of his other life goals.  I think he has a plan beyond football that most of us haven't considered.  And if he is interested in architecture . . .

Thank goodness!  I'll be 32 in 10 days and was worried it was all down hill from here (and don't any of you young members tell me that it is)!

Now back to the topic at hand.  I think we have a better shot than many think at CK.  I couldn't get a clear read on him from his post visit interviews though.  I think he really knows what should be best for him in the long run. 

Thank goodness!  I'll be 32 in 10 days and was worried it was all down hill from here (and don't any of you young members tell me that it is)!

Now back to the topic at hand.  I think we have a better shot than many think at CK.  I couldn't get a clear read on him from his post visit interviews though.  I think he really knows what should be best for him in the long run.   

I'll be 27 in a week, but the aches and pains have already started making me feel older. Wonder if getting hit by a truck at 13 sped along the decrepitude of my body?

Archived