Welcome Cyrus Kouandjio

Tiger Growlin

From readings here and elsewhere, Cyrus K. is likely to be thinking better than many of his age.  About career opportunities.  He's been taught that life is a long run, not a quick sprint.  His family moved to the USA for better educational opportunities.  Which is why I could easily picture Cyrus Kouanjio as an architect.

"Don't tell me I can't, and don't tell me I've got to." - from my father.

Life is a long run, not a wind sprint.  Educational opportunity is important to Cyrus K.

He's easily 3 and out, if he stays healthy.  And if he does well in the NFL, his great career there could still be over at age 30 or 35.  Life is really just getting started at that age, and it could go up from there or down.  I've read multiple times that something like 70% of NFL players are not in good financial condition after their playing days - here's how he'll beat those odds.  So he gets 3 years of college.  I'm sure he'd like to get the max out of those years, and not just in football.  He'll want to be in position to finish his degree in his field of interest if he wants.  What if he got injured - heaven forbid, he may never make it to the NFL.  He should be IN POSITION to complete his DESIRED degree, in consideration of his other life goals.  I think he has a plan beyond football that most of us haven't considered.  And if he is interested in architecture . . .

Thank goodness!  I'll be 32 in 10 days and was worried it was all down hill from here (and don't any of you young members tell me that it is)!

Now back to the topic at hand.  I think we have a better shot than many think at CK.  I couldn't get a clear read on him from his post visit interviews though.  I think he really knows what should be best for him in the long run.   

I'll be 27 in a week, but the aches and pains have already started making me feel older. Wonder if getting hit by a truck at 13 sped along the decrepitude of my body?

LOL.....I'm twice as old as you rednilla.  News flash, it gets worse !!! 

WDE !!!

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Red I was jumping out of helocoters when I was 27. At 57 I'm like fine wine I just keep getting better.

LOL, were you in a coma at 13? Because I was. :tease:

Nah, more likely my body feels like it's falling apart because I haven't kept myself in shape much since high school. Playing sports all the way up through grade school kept me in outstanding shape, and the lack of physical conditioning since probably exaggerates the problems more than would be otherwise. I mean, I'm sure that having every joint in my hip get dislocated didn't help matters any, but I don't really think the wreck had much impact on my physical condition. There are some psychological points that I still feel like I haven't caught up on (the social dynamic of high school is rough for anyone, but I had to relearn everything about how to interact with my peers, and a few of those issues are still buried under the layers of experience I've built since that wreck), but I don't know that my body is any worse off than it would be otherwise.

AU infusion "I don't remember his name now, but there was a football player in the curriculum when I was there. I want to say he was a year ahead of me? I forget now (many moons ago), but it can be done." 

I'm still learning the nuances of posting on here so forgive the crudity of quote attempt above.  I believe you're thinking of Yan Cowart who played back in the early 80s.  He also was a lineman.  He now practices architecture in Montgomery.

I graduated from AU arch years ago and it was difficult to say the least.  I'm not sure how an athlete could juggle both but it's not necessarily impossible.  I do know that the AU arch program is very highly thought of nationally so if architecture is CK's desire he'd be hard pressed to find a better FB and arch program at the same school.

From readings here and elsewhere, Cyrus K. is likely to be thinking better than many of his age.  About career opportunities.  He's been taught that life is a long run, not a quick sprint.  His family moved to the USA for better educational opportunities.  Which is why I could easily picture Cyrus Kouanjio as an architect.

Life is a long run, not a wind sprint.  Educational opportunity is important to Cyrus K.

He's easily 3 and out, if he stays healthy.  And if he does well in the NFL, his great career there could still be over at age 30 or 35.  Life is really just getting started at that age, and it could go up from there or down.  I've read multiple times that something like 70% of NFL players are not in good financial condition after their playing days - here's how he'll beat those odds.  So he gets 3 years of college.  I'm sure he'd like to get the max out of those years, and not just in football.  He'll want to be in position to finish his degree in his field of interest if he wants.  What if he got injured - heaven forbid, he may never make it to the NFL.  He should be IN POSITION to complete his DESIRED degree, in consideration of his other life goals.  I think he has a plan beyond football that most of us haven't considered.  And if he is interested in architecture . . .

Thank goodness!  I'll be 32 in 10 days and was worried it was all down hill from here (and don't any of you young members tell me that it is)!

Now back to the topic at hand.  I think we have a better shot than many think at CK.  I couldn't get a clear read on him from his post visit interviews though.  I think he really knows what should be best for him in the long run.   

I'll be 27 in a week, but the aches and pains have already started making me feel older. Wonder if getting hit by a truck at 13 sped along the decrepitude of my body?

It's a loooong downhill slide after 18.

Hey, Red, in my experience, age 27 is the time that the body starts going downhill. You can try hard and keep things from crashing too fast, but 27 is the genetically programmed average of when things start heading south. Pretty soon, you're gonna be buying antacids and laxitives.  :)

Sorry, dude. Hey, I'm 40. Think about how I feel.  :(

Hey, Red, in my experience, age 27 is the time that the body starts going downhill. You can try hard and keep things from crashing too fast, but 27 is the genetically programmed average. Sorry, dude. Hey, I'm 40. Think about how I feel.  :(

Actually, truth be told, my body has been feeling like it's falling apart for a good three or four years now, it's just been getting worse since. Again, I really think my problem is that I need to keep myself in shape so that I don't start breaking down. Kinda like keeping a car running; if it's not used properly, then after enough time it's not going to keep going.

Thank goodness we don't need to worry about those pesky Lobos anymore ;D

ST retweeted a Jamie Newberg tweet that CK was down to 2 -- AU/bama.

Thank goodness we don't need to worry abuot those pesky Lobos anymore  ;D

ST retweeted a Jamie Newberg tweet that CK was down to 2 -- AU/bama.

The same with Iowa.

Like I said in another thread...NM may be coming up among recruits later.

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/1978/

Can u summarize? I'm on my phone and can't see it

He feels Cyrus to Auburn because he REALLY liked his visit... and the coach said he's very surprised.

His coach and brother originally thought he was gonna go to Bama, but they aren't sure where he's going anymore after his visit to Auburn, which he really liked. His coach thinks he wants to go to Auburn

It quotes his high school coach as saying he thinks Cyrus wants to go to Auburn and that it kind of shocks him.  He doesn't know for sure but that's where he thinks he wants to go.

First Article (Washington Post):

DeMatha Coach Bill McGregor says that uncommitted linemen Cyrus Kouandjio and Darian Cooper are struggling to make a final decision but both seem to have narrowed their choices to two schools. The period for high school seniors to formally accept scholarship offers and sign binding National Letters-of-Intent begins Wednesday.

Kouandjio, an All-Met offensive tackle who is considered one of the nation's top prospects, is down to Southeastern Conference rivals Alabama and Auburn. His older brother, Arie, is a freshman on the Crimson Tide's squad, but McGregor was uncertain whether he Cyrus will join Arie in Tuscaloosa.

"I don't know how it's going to play out," McGregor said. "I was with him for a long time yesterday too --- let's make a decision, get on with life. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he says Auburn tomorrow. But I don't know."

Second Article (Maxpreps):

DeMatha coach Bill McGregor had told MaxPreps privately a couple weeks ago that he thought Cyrus would join Arie at Alabama next year. Now he's not so sure.

"He wants Auburn, I think," McGregor said Tuesday night. "He liked it a lot and had a good time. I'm totally surprised."

BUG C may actually come to AU,guys this has  to be(if we pull it off) the biggest upset of this recruiting season.

Some may say it was the Calloway flip,but BC was showing interest in us for a while,this thing sort of came out of the blue.  :wedance:

Archived