New Kris Frost Thread

gpharper

that sucks dude,... what could have happened for it to be THAT bad? I've seen the posts saying that he didn't make himself "available" to the coaches for three weeks, but surely that can't be it. These coaches recruited this kid VERY hard for the better part of the year, so it's safe to say, that they were very impressed with him and his talents. I guess this is just part of recruiting sometimes,.. it just seems like a weird situation to me, for you to say that "it would take some real work on HIS part to change things"

That's a gentle way of saying Frost ignoring the coaches for 3 weeksis legit. So the coaches probably want to see genuine remorse from him.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's make this simple.

1. The coaches are going to keep their word, even if that leaves us with a few 3 star linebackers instead of someone who is probably about to be a 5 star linebacker.  Our coaches honoring their word is one of the keys to how we have improved so quickly in recruiting.

2. Our mods from time to time learn less than positive things about recruits.  Don't expect them to post much of the negative stuff here.  Other boards will. AE will not.

3. Holland and Owens are expected to be solid potential starters at the very least.  Craig Stevens was a good linebacker.  Bynes was very good.  But it is not as if we are replacing Takeo Spikes or a talent of that level. 

4. We have good linebacker depth with the current roster.  The coaches are high on Landrum and Garrett. Swain may be a great outside linebacker. 

Relax...disagree with the choice on the basis of our talent if you like, but respect that the coaches are honoring their word to other commits, silent or otherwise.

that sucks dude,... what could have happened for it to be THAT bad? I've seen the posts saying that he didn't make himself "available" to the coaches for three weeks, but surely that can't be it. These coaches recruited this kid VERY hard for the better part of the year, so it's safe to say, that they were very impressed with him and his talents. I guess this is just part of recruiting sometimes,.. it just seems like a weird situation to me, for you to say that "it would take some real work on HIS part to change things"

That's a gentle way of saying Frost ignoring the coaches for 3 weeksis legit. So the coaches probably want to see genuine remorse from him.

You'd have to think if Frost is allowed to be part of this class that he'd work his butt off to contribute to the team.  Hopefully this works out but if it doesn't I definitely understand the coaches stance on it.

Let's make this simple.

1. The coaches are going to keep their word, even if that leaves us with a few 3 star linebackers instead of someone who is probably about to be a 5 star linebacker.  Our coaches honoring their word is one of the keys to how we have improved so quickly in recruiting.

2. Our mods from time to time learn less than positive things about recruits.  Don't expect them to post much of the negative stuff here.  Other boards will. AE will not.

3. Holland and Owens are expected to be solid potential starters at the very least.  Craig Stevens was a good linebacker.  Bynes was very good.  But it is not as if we are replacing Takeo Spikes or a talent of that level. 

4. We have good linebacker depth with the current roster.  The coaches are high on Landrum and Garrett. Swain may be a great outside linebacker. 

Relax...disagree with the choice on the basis of our talent if you like, but respect that the coaches are honoring their word to other commits, silent or otherwise.

AMEN! Post of the Week!

Let's make this simple.

That makes far too much sense...

Folks, you have to drop your attempts to rationalize the KF situation based upon his talent or potential to make a difference playing football. This has nothing to do with that any more. When was the last time you told your mother or father that you were going to commit to doing something he/she wanted you to do only to do the opposite before it was all said and done. While I like our coaching staff as well as anyone on AE, these men have egos just like the rest of us in our own right. KF's behavior throughout this process was less than desired period, if you are a true AUBURN fan. It takes discipline to build a team to achieve maximum results. The behavior exhibited by KF would cause any solid coach to question his genuine commitment to get with the program based upon the actions observed over the past five weeks.

We are dealing with a team sport. Individual players obviously stand out, but no one player is bigger than the team; therefore, coaches want players who demonstrate the team concept above all else when it comes to the end of the day. If you do not play by the desired rules; pack your bags and go home or better yet, we simply won't let you come to play on our team at all.

If this isn't simple enough, then consider you want to take one of the most attractive, popular girls in school to the Prom. You ask her several times and she encourages you to keep asking, but then she decides she is going to go with the stud athlete on campus and lets you know by her actions toward the stud that you simply do not matter to her anymore and you should move on. You decide that several other girls who are quite attractive in their own right will make a great date for the Prom and you plan accordingly by extending an invitation that is quietly accepted. As the Prom date approaches, stud gets grounded and can't go to the Prom. Now, drop dead gorgeous wants to tell everyone that she has a date to the Prom anyway and you are going to be taking her after all. Not so fast. Do you want to be the obvious back up date or stay with the date that was excited to accept your invitation outright with none of the B.S. to go with the attitude of your first target date?

Now I need to get the front loader cranked up and clear away the dead horse in the road. War Eagle!! Can't wait to see who the coaches sign for the Tigers on NSD.

Folks, you have to drop your attempts to rationalize the KF situation based upon his talent or potential to make a difference playing football.  This has nothing to do with that any more.  When was the last time you told your mother or father that you were going to commit to doing something he/she wanted you to do only to do the opposite before it was all said and done.  While I like our coaching staff as well as anyone on AE, these men have egos just like the rest of us in our own right.  KF's behavior throughout this process was less than desired period, if you are a true AUBURN fan.  It takes discipline to build a team to achieve maximum results.  The behavior exhibited by KF would cause any solid coach to question his genuine commitment to get with the program based upon the actions observed over the past five weeks. 

We are dealing with a team sport.  Individual players obviously stand out, but no one player is bigger than the team; therefore, coaches want players who demonstrate the team concept above all else when it comes to the end of the day.  If you do not play by the desired rules; pack your bags and go home or better yet, we simply won't let you come to play on our team at all. 

If this isn't simple enough, then consider you want to take one of the most attractive, popular girls in school to the Prom.  You ask her several times and she encourages you to keep asking, but then she decides she is going to go with the stud athlete on campus and lets you know by her actions toward the stud that you simply do not matter to her anymore and you should move on.  You decide that several other girls who are quite attractive in their own right will make a great date for the Prom and you plan accordingly by extending an invitation that is quietly accepted.  As the Prom date approaches, stud gets grounded and can't go to the Prom.  Now, drop dead gorgeous wants to tell everyone that she has a date to the Prom anyway and you are going to be taking her after all.  Not so fast.  Do you want to be the obvious back up date or stay with the date that was excited to accept your invitation outright with none of the B.S. to go with the attitude of your first target date?

Now I need to get the front loader cranked up and clear away the dead horse in the road.  War Eagle!!  Can't wait to see who the coaches sign for the Tigers on NSD. 

:laugh:  Nice analogy.  I'm still holding out hope that it works out that Frost can come to Auburn, but I'm not sweating it.  There have been a lot of great recruits out there over the years that we were in on, but it just didn't work out for us or them.  With the scholarship limits we're not going to get every great player that's interested in us.  Our coaches have to choose wisely while standing by their principles. 

Kris Frost will be fine whether he comes to Auburn or not; I'm sure neither he nor his parents blame our coaches for these circumestances.  Auburn will certainly be fine with or without Kris Frost.

I've got a question for all you EXPERTS on our recruiting.

How would you feel if the coaches yanked a scholarship from a current commit and gave it to Frost .... and three years from the now the next Cam Newton is coming out of hs and his parents or his High School COACH tell our coaches ...... Get lost! We know how you treat these kids and we want no part of you or you school! ...?

NONE of you know what the situation is and all you're doing is attacking our coaches for no apparent reason.

Apparently none of you have kids.

I don't think anyone here is saying they don't want Frost on the AU team. I think we all do. Also, nobody is saying he's not the greatest guy on the earth. From all I've heard he is a great guy. As others mentioned, the problem lies in the fact the coaches offered his spot to someone else when he didn't want it. At that point it no longer is his spot. It belongs to the offered individual.

Another analogy: Your in line at the DMV. It's a good sized line and you really want to go grab a bite to eat. You go grab a bite to eat and return to find that the person behind you is now at the counter. Nobody can expect their place in line to be kept while they go somewhere else.

Now with all that said, I hope the guy does go to AU. Conversely, if the guy expects AU to accept him back after being scorned without having to work for it(I have no reason to believe he does), then maybe he's not the best fit for AU.

Folks, you have to drop your attempts to rationalize the KF situation based upon his talent or potential to make a difference playing football.  This has nothing to do with that any more.  When was the last time you told your mother or father that you were going to commit to doing something he/she wanted you to do only to do the opposite before it was all said and done.  While I like our coaching staff as well as anyone on AE, these men have egos just like the rest of us in our own right.  KF's behavior throughout this process was less than desired period, if you are a true AUBURN fan.  It takes discipline to build a team to achieve maximum results.  The behavior exhibited by KF would cause any solid coach to question his genuine commitment to get with the program based upon the actions observed over the past five weeks. 

We are dealing with a team sport.  Individual players obviously stand out, but no one player is bigger than the team; therefore, coaches want players who demonstrate the team concept above all else when it comes to the end of the day.  If you do not play by the desired rules; pack your bags and go home or better yet, we simply won't let you come to play on our team at all. 

If this isn't simple enough, then consider you want to take one of the most attractive, popular girls in school to the Prom.  You ask her several times and she encourages you to keep asking, but then she decides she is going to go with the stud athlete on campus and lets you know by her actions toward the stud that you simply do not matter to her anymore and you should move on.  You decide that several other girls who are quite attractive in their own right will make a great date for the Prom and you plan accordingly by extending an invitation that is quietly accepted.  As the Prom date approaches, stud gets grounded and can't go to the Prom.  Now, drop dead gorgeous wants to tell everyone that she has a date to the Prom anyway and you are going to be taking her after all.  Not so fast.  Do you want to be the obvious back up date or stay with the date that was excited to accept your invitation outright with none of the B.S. to go with the attitude of your first target date?

Now I need to get the front loader cranked up and clear away the dead horse in the road.  War Eagle!!  Can't wait to see who the coaches sign for the Tigers on NSD. 

Very good analogy-and I want to add another spin to it if I may. The young lady that was ecstatic about you asking her to the prom is USUALLY going to do most anything you want to keep you happy (don't go there, trying to keep it clean)-while the other might only be there with you just because she could be. So, if we use that analogy-the player that took Frost's spot is going to realize that he was taken over a possibly more gifted athlete and hopefully bust his hump even harder to try and prove to the coaches that he deserved this pick. Now, that may or may not be always be the case, but I know if it were me, I would be doing anything the coaches asked 120% to show my appreciation in their confidence for me.

Great analogies here.  I was about to write my own, but you guys summed it all up.  We are not bama we don't rescind our word to someone just because it suites us at the time!  If you really think we should send some highschool athlete packing just because KF wants back on board now I would have to question your integrity.  If we go back on our word with one recruit this year it will tick his coach off.  Those are lasting recruiting relationships.  We don't want to burn long-term bridges here.  Is Auburn's recruiting integrity worth ONE player?  Absolutely not.  With that said, I would have to really love to have KF in this class.  I hope he sucks it up and does what he has too to become part of this class.  He could be a prominent player in our defense one day.  I emphasize COULD.  We never know until they come to campus.  I hate that this happened, but KF gambled and lost. 

Some thoughts on this wild thread.

1. I think the mods might as well post the info.  Not smear stuff, but basic news.  Obviously, other members feel like they have some background knowledge the rest of us lack.  Why not just go out and say it?

2. If I'm reading all the mods' posts correctly, they had different reads on this issue right from the beginning.  Why not say so?  We all had the impression Frost to Auburn was a done deal from reading this thread, when it really wasn't (and some people thought as much).

When a coach goes and interveiws with another institution is it not similar to the Frost situation? Both circumstances bother me and I was wondering if anybody else feels the same way? It seems odd that a coach can do this and be welcomed back with open arms but not a player. I do not have any idea what has taken place between Frost and the coaches and I am not saying he should or should not be a part of this family. A troubled AU fan. War Eagle!!! :wareagle::believe:

Some thoughts on this wild thread.

1. I think the mods might as well post the info.  Not smear stuff, but basic news.  Obviously, other members feel like they have some background knowledge the rest of us lack.  Why not just go out and say it?

The info is available to all in this post by TG in his own words from JLee on Rivals...

5. Frost's situation is crazy. He told the coaches he wanted to be a Tiger. Then he informed the coaches that Mich was his choice. After that, the coaches still kept after him but KF made himself unavailable for contact with the coaches. That went on for about 3 weeks and the coaches said good riddance. Then the hammer dropped on RR at Mich. Frost then became "available" and wanted to commit to AU but the coaches took a we're nobody's backup plan stance and told him not to commit on national tv. Of course he did so anyways. The coaches were not happy that he thought he could just commit and expect them to welcome him back. He missed his opportunity by misleading them and blackballing them from his recruitment. After Calloway switched, Frost was no longer a must get. After RR was canned the coaches pretty much told him too bad.

personally, i am going to sit back and just watch this thing unfold. for 2 reasons: 1. if Frost really wants to be a tiger then he will be a tiger. 2. one of our current or future commits may not qualify academically or what not. in which i think frost would then get his scholly and not have to greyshirt. just my thoughts.

How would you feel if the coaches yanked a scholarship from a current commit and gave it to Frost .... and three years from the now the next Cam Newton is coming out of hs and his parents or his High School COACH tell our coaches ...... Get lost! We know how you treat these kids and we want no part of you or you school! ...?

NONE of you know what the situation is and all you're doing is attacking our coaches for no apparent reason.

Or what if they didnt know the whole story and said "Get lost! You let a kid embarrass himself on national tv, and didnt accept his commitment, leaving him in the cold."

Now I dont support taking a scholarship away from a player, but we need to find room for this guy.

The thing that REALLY bothers me the most about this situation is this,... Just like was mentioned, Bynes and Stevens are gone. Where does that really leave us at the LB position? I personally don't think we are positioned right now to have a strong SEC core of LB's. That's just my opinion. And before anybody jumps in w/ the Jake Holland or LaDarious Owens (add whoevere else) comments, lets look at it. None of them are proven. Eltoro? How many times did this guy play out of position? Granted he's full speed and fun to watch, but  :dunno: who knows what he's going to do? Evans? he might be ok, kina small, not blazingly fast like smaller LBs that we've had in the past. Holland? still unknown at this point. Owens? he's having to transition from playing DE. yeah, the potential is there, but he may never adjust to that position at an SEC level. White? can't get a straight forward answer about his injury, so who knows. Curry? again, who knows. Bates? he played ok at times. could be a stud. Harris? I've heard he has not impressed thus far... I'm sure I'm leaving others out guys,.. my point is this: Why pass on a guy of KF's potential, at a position that we are DEF in need of?  :dunno: I'm sure I'm going to get the trust the coaches speach. But these are legit questions and concerns,... are they not? These are my thoughts anyway, and NO I don't get paid to do it,.. and yes I know the coaches know more than my. Just my .02. Hope in the end, we sign Frost.

OK, WDE01.  Listen, I can recommend you to the staff as a recruiting coordinator if you are interested.  It is obvious to some of you that the coaches need the help.  They just have not done a very good job of recruiting.

If our coaches don't think that LB is a priority position for the 2011 signing class then I will trust their instincts.  They know much more than I do about our needs.  They know much more than I know about the potential of our existing LBs.  They see them every day in practice.  Again, I trust our coaches to do what is best for Auburn University. 

Sorry about the sarcasm to begin this post, but I think our coaches have proven themselves as pretty good recruiters and evaluators of talent.     WAR EAGLE!!! 

Excellent post.

Or what if they didnt know the whole story and said "Get lost! You let a kid embarrass himself on national tv, and didnt accept his commitment, leaving him in the cold."

Now I dont support taking a scholarship away from a player, but we need to find room for this guy.

Unfortunately, it's been proven this year that people love writing crap about us.  Fortunately, I think the coaches have proven that they'll do whatever they feel is right despite all the crap.  The recruits who have a closed mind about Auburn can always find reasons not to come here, but those that have a chance at fitting in the Auburn family will take the time to get the story straight. 

When the opposing coaches who do negatively recruit have real ammunition to use against our staff (for instance saying that the recruit and their family can't trust our word about a committable offer...), then we'll have a real problem on our hands.

personally, i am going to sit back and just watch this thing unfold. for 2 reasons: 1. if Frost really wants to be a tiger then he will be a tiger. 2. one of our current or future commits may not qualify academically or what not. in which i think frost would then get his scholly and not have to greyshirt. just my thoughts.

Honestly, I feel like the ball is in Frost's court. After all the bashing of Matthews for tweeting what he did, I'm beginning to wonder if this wasn't all orchestrated to bring Kris down a rung or two so that he knows that he is not bigger than Auburn. If he shows true humility, I think we'll find a spot for him. If not, after the way he treated the program by ignoring the coaches completely and then flipping when things went sour at Michigan, then he probably doesn't belong on the Plains.

BIG problem with that is -

the coaches did NOT "LET a kid embarass himself".

They told him NOT to commit on TV but HE CHOSE to do so anyway.

I HOPE we get Frost.  But it is NOT the fault of our coaches that we have the current situation to work out.

BIG problem with that is -

the coaches did NOT "LET a kid embarass himself".

They told him NOT to commit on TV but HE CHOSE to do so anyway.

I HOPE we get Frost.  But it is NOT the fault of our coaches that we have the current situation to work out.

He said if they don't know the whole story. And trust me, opposing coaches will spin it any way they can to make us look bad.

When a coach goes and interveiws with another institution is it not similar to the Frost situation? Both circumstances bother me and I was wondering if anybody else feels the same way? It seems odd that a coach can do this and be welcomed back with open arms but not a player. I do not have any idea what has taken place between Frost and the coaches and I am not saying he should or should not be a part of this family. A troubled AU fan. War Eagle!!! :wareagle::believe:

I think the difference is the coach didn't accept another job.

If the coach told Chizik he had accepted another job, and Chizik hired a new coach in his place, and then the first coach changed his mind and wanted to come back, it would be too late because his replacement had been hired.

A coach interviewing with another school is more closely compared with a recruit being committed here but visiting another school.

Archived