2015 5* DT Daron Payne (Alabama signee)

ellitor

Well Robinson, Ford and Mason stand to be good examples that Gus is building a program that will help many players into the business of pro football. Looking at our roster, we have several players (Dismukes, Coleman, Young, Miller, Coates, D. Williams, Therezie, Lawson, Adams, Kozan, Artis-Payne, and others, not even counting the incoming freshmen) who have great pro potential.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Auburn is the kid's dream school what options are there left to weigh? I see a "struggleoverwit" - "bidness decision" in this kids future and if he doesn't prove me wrong with a relatively early commit to Auburn i hope we cut bait much sooner than NSD.

dream school? We NEED DL next year. Top program. Favorite school. Seems like a commitment this spring/summer then actively recruit for AU and shut down recruitment. If that doesn't happen ... On to the next guy. I'm tired of the recruiting "game".

Guess I'm just too old fashioned. We've got everything an elite DL is looking for this year ... Including a possible 1st round draft choice.

There really is no reason to look around for a kid who is an auburn fan. He could cement himself as the leader of the class like tre last year.

If Auburn is the kid's dream school what options are there left to weigh? I see a "struggleoverwit" - "bidness decision" in this kids future and if he doesn't prove me wrong with a relatively early commit to Auburn i hope we cut bait much sooner than NSD.

Going to have to agree with you on that one. Never understood if your "dream school" offers why not commit. Granted, I can understand a young person wanting to enjoy the process and take his visits, etc and I can only assume he is also looking at his future after college and who he feels will give him the best chance to make that dream come true. I can see this one dragging out til late in the season but lets hope the end result in DP dawning the O&B.

Lot's of kids commit and still take their visits. Maybe he just wants to go home and think it over a few days at the coaches recommendation. Otherwise, I would have to agree.

• 1 month later...

This doesn't sound like we are even with Alabama to me. Daron doesn't even mention Auburn until the reporter brings us up. His last visit was to Alabama and his next visit will be to Alabama's A-Day game. Even though he grew up an Auburn fan, his parents are both Alabama fans. The good news is that he doesn't plan to commit until the all-star games or even National Signing Day. But we certainly have an uphill battle on our hands.

We have no chance on this kid. Too many folks in his ear pushing him to bama to "make him a man". He is bama's #1 target for next year and Saban will get him.

We have no chance on this kid. Too many folks in his ear pushing him to bama to "make him a man". He is bama's #1 target for next year and Saban will get him.

I would have to agree with you. I think Garner waited too long to get into the picture with him. Bama has been all over him for some time now!

Thinking our 2012 season probably hurt our chances with him as much as anything else. I'm sure he was impressed with us last year, but I'm thinking he/his parents had already started writing us off by the time last fall rolled around

Not over until the fat lady sings, but I agree, we have some making up in the recruiting process with this young man.

However, if he wants to go to Bama, he can watch them lose the Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa for the second time in a row, in 2014!

Coveted five-star defensive tackle prospect Daron Payne told reporters on Sunday he is down to four schools will likely make his commitment on National Signing Day 2015.

The Shades Valley star said Auburn, Alabama, Florida State and Texas are his current leaders, in no specific order.

"It's going to be hard," Payne said before participating in the Nike Football Training Camp event at Spain Park High School. "I'm going to have to sit down, pray about it and talk to my family and coaches.

"I grew up an Auburn fan. I've just been wanting to play with them all my life, but then I got the Alabama offer and everybody wants to play with Bama. It's really hard."

The 6-foot-2, 334-pounder recently said the Tigers were recruiting him the hardest, but the Crimson Tide have been making a strong push this spring.

"Right now it's Bama," he said. "They're on my phone every day trying to talk to my mom and all that type of stuff."

Payne's most recent visit was to Alabama after attending Auburn's Junior Day. He enjoyed meeting with new defensive line coach Bo Davis at Alabama and Rodney Garner at Auburn.

"(Davis) is cool," he said. "I love him. I can get used to (his coaching style). I like 3-tech better, personally, but I can get used to it... Bama, the way they work, everything's got to be perfect.

"At Auburn, I got to sit down and talk with Coach Garner. He'd treat me like his son, bring me in and teach me how to be a man."

http://www.al.com/sp...a_target_d.html

I guarantee you as long as Gus is head coach there won't be any more circus recruitments. Yes we will recruit you but if you want to be an Auburn man then fine, let us know when you want to do that.

These kids are incredibly gullible these days! How can u grow up an AU fan, but yet bama offers u a scholly and now all of a sudden it's a hard decision? I say BS!!!!

Guest jojo1515

I guarantee you as long as Gus is head coach there won't be any more circus recruitments. Yes we will recruit you but if you want to be an Auburn man then fine, let us know when you want to do that.

Rashaan Evans says a GIANT HEELLLLOOOOO!!!

Pretty sure that was factored in. Nobody has forgotten and that is exactly WHY there WON"T BE ANY MORE.

Pretty sure that was factored in. Nobody has forgotten and that is exactly WHY there WON"T BE ANY MORE.

That's how I also took it.

Gus is young and he makes mistakes, but he rarely makes them twice.

That is exactly what I was referring to, the key words in my post being "any more".

That whole deal with RE took on a life of it's own. I promise you Gus would have liked to have told them "Good riddance" but once it had gotten so close to NSD it was just something that had to play out or risk looking even worse by pulling his offer. Now we don't have to be the ones worried about Karma, while if I were Alan/Rashaan, I would be worried about the other shoe from now on.

Remember Trent Thompson and Payne we have a shot at snagging both of them.

I am hoping M Adams will have a great year for AU. These 2 guys can see themselves as the next M Adams. They all seem likre similar talents.

Article seems to imply that UAT has been giving him much more attention and love. Understanding that he is one of our top targets, I would hope that Malzahn and Garner will turn it up and let him know how much we want him.

Payne is not anywhere near a bammer lock. I would say 50/50 as of now but we will push ahead once summer workouts and games start.

Agreed but given his parents are Bama fans and he is an early top priority for Bama it will be an uphill battle. Those 2 things usually equal Bama signee down the line. Payne's granddad is an AU fan and has a lot of influence on DP. He is the reason DP grew up an AU fan. Hopefully granddad wins here.

Archived