Biggest "insider miss" in recruiting history?

aushrink

Seems to me the Evans family played the AU coaching staff like a cheap fiddle. Too bad, too, but his dad put his son in the exact same position he was in when he signed at Auburn. I'll be surprised if he sees much early PT with 15 or 16 other LBs on bama's depth chart

I agree. They lied to our coaches. I also think we were misinformed on how that family handled the recruiting process.

This one is not on our insiders at all. They passed along the info they received and I appreciate them doing that.

It looks like Evans will fit in really well with his buddies at uat.

I am a huge fan of the kids who signed with AU today. Great steps were made today towards building a great future on the plains. War Eagle!!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) While there were signs pointing to RE to bama, there were similar ones indicating that he wanted to come to AU. It's easy to only point at one side at this point and try to make yourself look smart.

2) We were trying to sell RE on playing star in a way that allowed him to rush the passer. The coaches knew his strengths and his interests.

Possibly but there were plenty of people here questioning the common perception that he was an "AU lock" to quote a comment I must have seen two dozen times in the past week. I don't think people are being " Monday morning quarterbacks" because posters were threatened with being banned and entire threads were deleted because they were not positive enough.

Perhaps some folks were just too close to the situation to read the obvious warning signs. I spent a good part of my business life in sales and marketing...and you can just tell when a potential customer is leading you along....and these signs were ten feet tall with the Evans family.

This one is not on our insiders at all. They passed along the info they received and I appreciate them doing that.

Exactly... you can't shoot the messenger because the source lied.

1) While there were signs pointing to RE to bama, there were similar ones indicating that he wanted to come to AU. It's easy to only point at one side at this point and try to make yourself look smart.

2) We were trying to sell RE on playing star in a way that allowed him to rush the passer. The coaches knew his strengths and his interests.

Possibly but there were plenty of people here questioning the common perception that he was an "AU lock" to quote a comment I must have seen two dozen times in the past week. I don't think people are being " Monday morning quarterbacks" because posters were threatened with being banned and entire threads were deleted because they were not positive enough.

Perhaps some folks were just too close to the situation to read the obvious warning signs. I spent a good part of my business life in sales and marketing...and you can just tell when a potential customer is leading you along....and these signs were ten feet tall with the Evans family.

While I don't disagree with you that there were signs, what the mods on this site were trying to prevent is the posters who have a tendency to be a little, shall we say "abrasive", with their words from saying something that a recruit might take issue with. Try as they might, as was evidenced on Sunday, control was still lost and Evans' twitter shows the results. Not saying that was enough to sway a decision, one way or another, but it is a consideration.

In any case, most of the insiders were just saying that everything they were being told, from inside the staff, was that we were in good shape... the same thing the experts on 247, rivals, and other sites were saying. I don't recall ever seeing them slap someone down, unless they got personal and might insult the potential recruit.

True...but then threatening to ban posters who did not buy what the insiders were selling...could be considered as shooting a messenger also. In life, you learn far more about people by what they are doing that by what they are saying. .....another person's body language and activities tells you a lot.

All of this and especially what I put in bold above.

wde

True...but then threatening to ban posters who did not buy what the insiders were selling...could be considered as shooting a messenger also. In life, you learn far more about people by what they are doing that by what they are saying. .....another person's body language and activities tells you a lot.

The only threatening to ban I heard about was with posters who were directly attacking the recruit and or his family, not just questioning if he was going to sign. There's a HUGE difference there.

Once again. Amen.

wde

All of this and especially what I put in bold above.

wde

Gus called out a few kids on that this year. So I think they knew. Maybe they wanted him bad enough they were willing to take the humiliation of being played. Idk.

AU was fine when Allen Evans came as the best RB in America and didn't play a down (even when Bo was hurt he couldn't get PT behind Collis Campbell, Tim Jessie,etc.). AU will be fine with his son at Bammer, even if he ens up in the NFL HOF. WDE

The only threatening to ban I heard about was with posters who were directly attacking the recruit and or his family, not just questioning if he was going to sign. There's a HUGE difference there.

Some posters seem to be negative a lot. Others I think did see the signs and question the validity of his pro-AU statements. Either way, in this case they were right.

I say we agree to move on from the circus and focus on the incredible team we will be fielding in 2014.

AU was fine when Allen Evans came as the best RB in America and didn't play a down (even when Bo was hurt he couldn't get PT behind Collis Campbell, Tim Jessie,etc.). AU will be fine with his son at Bammer, even if he ens up in the NFL HOF. WDE

I wondered if AE's Auburn experience would affect RE's decision. I was a student when he arrived as the most heralded RB in the country and was openly referred to as one of the biggest busts in AU history. That is tough to swallow. I know he left bitter.

I kept my opinion to myself because the recruit was in play, but I certainly don't buy that it was purely a fit issue.

Ironically, with Bama's depth at LB, RE has a much better chance of repeating history with his choice. I don't have a problem with his choice. He owes us nothing, and after his exposure to our program, if he wasn't in, then he is where he needs to be.

Cyrus Kouandjio 5 $tar

TJ Yeldon 5 $tar

Rueben Foster 5 $tar

Dee Liner 4 or 5 $tar

Rashaan Evans 5 $tar

Who is next?....

All stole we either getting played or they are awesome cheaters.

I dont recall yeldon actually playing us, did he do anything that said otherwise? People flip and get flipped all the time. Auburn has flipped their fair share

When the circus comes to town there is always snake oil involved.

Cyrus Kouandjio 5 $tar

TJ Yeldon 5 $tar

Rueben Foster 5 $tar

Dee Liner 4 or 5 $tar

Rashaan Evans 5 $tar

Never more or less than a 50/50 chance. I will take all the early recruits we can get that don't walk the tight rope at the circus.

Cyrus Kouandjio 5 $tar

TJ Yeldon 5 $tar

Rueben Foster 5 $tar

Dee Liner 4 or 5 $tar

Rashaan Evans 5 $tar

Never more or less than a 50/50 chance. I will take all the early recruits we can get that don't walk the tight rope at the circus.

i know for a fact we had less than 50% chance with foster

this is definetily one of the biggest insider misses in history. they were sending private messages last night talking about how it was a done deal and we get them all. last week a couple of us said bama was in it and got blasted on this site like we were stupid. and therefore no one wanted to challenge what some insiders said. all I know is evans must have really played the staff because all the signs were their that Alabama was in it. everyone said to ignore it no big deal he is all auburn. biggest miss based on insider info ever

Cyrus Kouandjio 5 $tar

TJ Yeldon 5 $tar

Rueben Foster 5 $tar

Dee Liner 4 or 5 $tar

Rashaan Evans 5 $tar

I agree, however when some of the best players in the country have legit interest in you but want to decide on NSD, you can't really pull off of them.

I dont recall yeldon actually playing us, did he do anything that said otherwise? People flip and get flipped all the time. Auburn has flipped their fair share

Where have you been on this topic?? He was "committed" to us, not goin anywhere, telling everybody he was goin to Auburn.... the evening before "dead period" that December he switched to Bama, and our staff couldn't contact him or talk to him about it at all. It was completely orchestrated by bammer. Check your facts bro

this is definetily one of the biggest insider misses in history. they were sending private messages last night talking about how it was a done deal and we get them all. last week a couple of us said bama was in it and got blasted on this site like we were stupid. and therefore no one wanted to challenge what some insiders said. all I know is evans must have really played the staff because all the signs were their that Alabama was in it. everyone said to ignore it no big deal he is all auburn. biggest miss based on insider info ever

Totally agree. The question is was he playing us the whole time or did Bama really swing him late? Regardless, it appears he was not straightforward with everyone and that is frustrating.

Where have you been on this topic?? He was "committed" to us, not goin anywhere, telling everybody he was goin to Auburn.... the evening before "dead period" that December he switched to Bama, and our staff couldn't contact him or talk to him about it at all. It was completely orchestrated by bammer. Check your facts bro

bro.... I wasnt in the states at that time. that stuff didnt make it to the AFN network. When I ask a question I do not need to be trolled like I questioned a "spot-on insider."

Evans is a bigger miss than Yeldon point blank period. On the positive side Tre Williams is a bigger get than Foster would've been.

Totally agree. The question is was he playing us the whole time or did Bama really swing him late? Regardless, it appears he was not straightforward with everyone and that is frustrating.

Based on him Mom's face at the announcement I think they swung him very late. She looked very unhappy. I also think the kid was telling our staff and fellow recruits he was all AU.

Archived