Biggest "insider miss" in recruiting history?

aushrink

I'll say this. Gus is no dummy. It's hard to accept how low-down Saban is, until you have to deal with these dirty tricks. Gus will learn. Gus will get pissed.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, I am reading,off and on, to see how the "insiders" are going to spin it.....old age allows you to acquire some skills in "reading between the lines" when dealing with people and it was obvious that this was a set-up about 2 weeks ago.....you don't listen to what people say, you watch them when they say it....so much for the "insiders" and their credibility, although 23 has usually been on the money in the past...

another thing I have learned is that things even over time, and its our time to rumble, now

Can someone please explain to me what happened at RE's birthday party that everyone is talking about that influenced him not to come to Auburn?

Yeah, I'm still unclear on that. If it's something that shouldn't be posted in this thread, I'm available via PM.

yeah, I am reading,off and on, to see how the "insiders" are going to spin it.....old age allows you to acquire some skills in "reading between the lines" when dealing with people and it was obvious that this was a set-up about 2 weeks ago.....you don't listen to what people say, you watch them when they say it....so much for the "insiders" and their credibility, although 23 has usually been on the money in the past...

another thing I have learned is that things even over time, and its our time to rumble, now

Yep. The bright side is at least this is a free site so you are not paying for "insider" chest thumping. But it is predictable (and sad/disappointing if you are an AU fan) to see them fall on their face.

wde

I mean if you think about what an insider is they are just guys who are told things from other guys. You can talk to Gus himself but of Gus is lied to then that means insider info is right and wrong at the same time. It's recruiting man it's fluid.

At the same time I guess the insider shouldn't make fun of people if they don't agree with every word either

Guys we got one of our best classes ever we have a great star in Moncrief, a great LB in Tre Williams a possible great LB in DeShaun Davis our insiders were right on every target but Rashaan Evans. Let's be happy for what we got, and give the insiders a break.

I do agree this board does come down a little to hard for the people who were ringing the warning bells. When you express an honest opinion that is negative that does not make you a Bama homer but on the other side there is no reason to come down so hard on the insiders who are dealing with people especially kids who sometimes are not as forthcoming (Sometimes they actually lie) as they should be.

I never understood the optimism from the insider's on Rashaan, because so many things pointed in Alabama's direction:

--The Saturday debacle/change of heart about Smart visiting then instead of that Friday. Hell, Smart and staff were even allowed to come to the party.

-- Press only allowed at the announcement. That was a definite redflag.

--The Boston commitment. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I realize it was for a different positon, but taking his commitment I thought was a sign we were uneasy ab RE.

After saying all of this, I thought he was coming to Auburn because all the insiders were so confident. If you look just at the facts and what took place over the last week, there were a lot of warning signs that he might not be coming to AU.

In addition to this: Rashaad said early in the recruiting season that his dad felt like he was lied to by Auburn coaches when he signed with us and he didn't want the same thing to happen to him. Alan was told he would be #1 but we all know the story about Bo, then Fullwood, etc. Apparently hard feelings still present in the elder Evans.

The mention of getting away from Auburn because he felt he need to spread his wings.

Auburn coaches wanting him to attend the big recruiting weekend with the other commits. He went to bama instead.

Alan said they were going to give Gus the last in home visit. It didn't happen.

All signs pointed to him going to bama but I, like most AU fans, kept holding out hope, especially when our "insiders" (????) kept saying it was 99% sure he would pull the trigger for AU. I guess one day we'll learn to read the tea leaves a little closer.

After seeing his mom's reaction and him inviting the opelika guys I really think he just made a decision because time ran out and it was a toss up

After seeing his mom's reaction and him inviting the opelika guys I really think he just made a decision because time ran out and it was a toss up

Where can we see this video?

Blue - I get it. He told the coaches he was going to AU. They were shocked. He either lied or changed his mind.

But the fact remains - our class is awesome and people can't see the forest for the trees.

Its all good. Actually, I can appreciate very much, in fact, the job the coaches did putting this class together. Too bad, it ended the way it did.

I had my girl dvr it. I guess I can try to make a YouTube from my tv though. Is that against any rules?

Being an old man myself, I agree. You could tell every time Alan Evans spoke that he was in love with bammer. Even Rashaad, when he spoke about Auburn, it was an afterthought. He should be ashamed for inviting those Auburn recruits from Opelika. They should have slapped him for embarrassing them.

I keep seeing posts about how Auburn got played and lesson learned. I'm a little slow but what is the lesson. If a 5 star LB tells you he's coming to AU are you suppose to let that fall of deaf ears and tell him to go elsewhere? The way the system works all you can do is hope the kid is telling you the truth and that is for any recruit.

The lesson, if a kid tells you he is coming to Auburn, but there is saban dooky on his nose, drop him. It is a dirty trick.

I keep seeing posts about how Auburn got played and lesson learned. I'm a little slow but what is the lesson. If a 5 star LB tells you he's coming to AU are you suppose to let that fall of deaf ears and tell him to go elsewhere? The way the system works all you can do is hope the kid is telling you the truth and that is for any recruit.

The lesson, if a kid tells you he is coming to Auburn, but there is saban dooky on his nose, drop him. It is a dirty trick.

And, if his daddy wiggles and pees on his leg every time Kirby Smart is mentioned.. pick up on it.

If Auburn got played then so did UCLA?

They knew better than to fly across the country to attend a birthday party. JMO but they gave it a good try, did the usual stuff with visits and then let things work their way out.

evans turns down auburns request to move up official visit...................all

evans allows kirby smart to bump up his in home visit......................... this

tells oanow that auburn is too much pressure to be hometown hero ....bs

actively lets people know he wants to get out of town ...........................is

retweet all those things said by auburn fans...........................................pointing

cuts off the public at auburn high gymnasium due to pressure?............to

gives kirby smart last visit before signing day ....................................... .bammer

but dont worry he is all auburn..

how did time run out? alex kozan waited until february 27th, rashaan couldve thought it over. there was no buzzer for split second decisions.

evans turns down auburns request to move up official visit...................all

evans allows kirby smart to bump up his in home visit......................... this

tells oanow that auburn is too much pressure to be hometown hero ....bs

actively lets people know he wants to get out of town ...........................is

retweet all those things said by auburn fans...........................................pointing

cuts off the public at auburn high gymnasium due to pressure?............to

gives kirby smart last visit before signing day ....................................... .bammer

this is when i decided it was bammer, but i agree on all points

The biggest mistake was our coaches recruiting him to play the star position. He doesn't want to drop into coverage, he wants to rush the passer, and he'll get that opportunity at Bama. He and his dad said as much in his post commit interview.I don't think this whole thing is scandalous as some you are making it out to be.

The biggest mistake was our coaches recruiting him to play the star position. He doesn't want to drop into coverage, he wants to rush the passer, and he'll get that opportunity at Bama. He and his dad said as much in his post commit interview.I don't think this whole thing is scandalous as some you are making it out to be.

If he wants to rush the passer, then he made the best decision with the information he had available. But I would find it hard to believe that the AU coaching staff did not understand/know Evans' desire. Either way, it's done and over with. Here's to hoping last season was the foundation of the beginning of a long and very prosperous Auburn reign over ALL of college football!!

WAR EAGLE!!!!!

You hit it James. He will gain 20 to 30 lbs over the next few years. He will be prototypical pass rusher. From my perspective he is the same as Dee Ford. Dee was under 200 lbs when he came to AU. Look at him now.

After he was quoted as saying that he felt that he fit better into bama's defense, I was wondering if part of his reasoning was that he wanted to play more run and less pass defense. That and bama probably selling him on the idea that the star position does not translate well to the NFL. Still, no reasoning for the decision explains how he had 90+% of recruiting analysts expecting him to sign with Auburn, other than him telling people he would. That part still leaves me scratching my head and with a bad taste in my mouth.

1) While there were signs pointing to RE to bama, there were similar ones indicating that he wanted to come to AU. It's easy to only point at one side at this point and try to make yourself look smart.

2) We were trying to sell RE on playing star in a way that allowed him to rush the passer. The coaches knew his strengths and his interests.

Archived