Biggest "insider miss" in recruiting history?

aushrink

Blue - I get it. He told the coaches he was going to AU. They were shocked. He either lied or changed his mind.

But the fact remains - our class is awesome and people can't see the forest for the trees.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bad part is... We have a great class!

The only thing anyone will remember about this recruiting cycle is getting played by Evans!

We have a great class, but we are a laughing stock. ESPN is laughing at the fact that a signee profile was leaked to the public, and the kid signed with our rival...

That's my issue with today... Our signees are being over-shadowed in the media by this home town three ring circus.

The website thing is on Auburn, not Evans. I agree does sting, but more importantly over shadows the class we are getting.

The entire thing is on Auburn. Yes, we signed great Auburn men. However, perception is Auburn is going to end up having a bad day.

@Gibson: No worse than the 2012 season! ;)

Nobody can laugh at Auburn except LSU. All you have to do is recite the score of last years game. I don't think most people are upset RE signed elsewhere, I think its the way it was handled and the fact that he went to Bama. If he went to....Missouri or something it'd be slightly disappointing but not nearly as it is now.

The bad part is... We have a great class!

The only thing anyone will remember about this recruiting cycle is getting played by Evans!

We have a great class, but we are a laughing stock. ESPN is laughing at the fact that a signee profile was leaked to the public, and the kid signed with our rival...

That's my issue with today... Our signees are being over-shadowed in the media by this home town three ring circus.

The website thing is on Auburn, not Evans. I agree does sting, but more importantly over shadows the class we are getting.

The entire thing is on Auburn. Yes, we signed great Auburn men. However, perception is Auburn is going to end up having a bad day.

Exactly. It's not a class issue, it's a perception issue.

Btw, Tre Williams is better than Rashaan Evans and will make a bigger impact for his team next season! Write it down!

I keep seeing posts about how Auburn got played and lesson learned. I'm a little slow but what is the lesson. If a 5 star LB tells you he's coming to AU are you suppose to let that fall of deaf ears and tell him to go elsewhere? The way the system works all you can do is hope the kid is telling you the truth and that is for any recruit.

I never understood the optimism from the insider's on Rashaan, because so many things pointed in Alabama's direction:

--The Saturday debacle/change of heart about Smart visiting then instead of that Friday. Hell, Smart and staff were even allowed to come to the party.

-- Press only allowed at the announcement. That was a definite redflag.

--The Boston commitment. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I realize it was for a different positon, but taking his commitment I thought was a sign we were uneasy ab RE.

After saying all of this, I thought he was coming to Auburn because all the insiders were so confident. If you look just at the facts and what took place over the last week, there were a lot of warning signs that he might not be coming to AU.

I think it's kind of funny that a bunch of people are railing on the insiders on this board with 90+% of the professional recruiting analysts had Evans to AU. He had nearly everyone who's job it is to follow recruiting, not just our insiders, fooled.

It's funny how things like that only seem to happen in west Alabama and the NCAA never seems to look into it. I'll agree that there is absolutely no logic to him choosing bama. He would be guaranteed more play time on a team that is trending upward and not have to deal with the process, if he went to Auburn. I'd love to know what he was told that "sold" him.

I never understood the optimism from the insider's on Rashaan, because so many things pointed in Alabama's direction:

--The Saturday debacle/change of heart about Smart visiting then instead of that Friday. Hell, Smart and staff were even allowed to come to the party.

-- Press only allowed at the announcement. That was a definite redflag.

--The Boston commitment. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I realize it was for a different positon, but taking his commitment I thought was a sign we were uneasy ab RE.

After saying all of this, I thought he was coming to Auburn because all the insiders were so confident. If you look just at the facts and what took place over the last week, there were a lot of warning signs that he might not be coming to AU.

The problem is that if anyone brought up these questions, they were quickly debunked. I understand that some people went over the top with bashing the Evans, but it seemed like near the end the only thing that was allowed to be posted was Pro-Evans to Auburn. Now a lot of people are scratching their heads, and frustrated about what happened. It appears we got played to some extent, but who really knows what went down.

I think it's kind of funny that a bunch of people are railing on the insiders on this board with 90+% of the professional recruiting analysts had Evans to AU. He had nearly everyone who's job it is to follow recruiting, not just our insiders fooled.

It's funny how things like that only seem to happen in west Alabama and the NCAA never seems to look into it. I'll agree that there is absolutely no logic to him choosing bama. He would be guaranteed more play time on a team that is trending upward and not have to deal with the process, if he went to Auburn. I'd love to know what he was told that "sold" him.

The insiders passed along what the heard and nobody can fault them for that. It just appears Evans wasnt be truthful or at least assertive enough to tell somebody no.

Has a lot to do with a certain coach and his son, who RE was best friends with, along with Foster....

Someome plaleeeze tell me Trooper has gainful employment on his horizon in a location very far away from Auburn, AL.

I have a hard time understanding how a grown man can harbor such animosity for an institution that paid him some serious dough while he has been sitting on his ass doing nothing for over a year.

AubTiger14 - " I'd love to know what he was told that "sold" him."

That is a very good question. What do you tell a kid that seems like a lock for another school to make him flip at the last moment?

You would think since his dad played at AU he would want to follow in his foot steps, and not to mention probably starting this season.

I think Evans is the biggest. Let's face the facts. Auburn got played. He was bama from the get-go. Nicky got him to play along, to occupy Gus's time, to keep other LBs from considering Auburn because Evans was coming. The trouble was that his dad was gushing too much and let the cat out of the bag on more than one occasion. I'm sure Nicky is patting Rashaan on the back for his treachery and subtrefuge. I hate the turds. I hate how they go about their business. Every single year they pull this crap on us.

You would think since his dad played at AU he would want to follow in his foot steps, and not to mention probably starting this season.

His dad HATES AU. He got beat out by Bo and has been bitter ever since. He has been licking his chops to get back at us. Revenge complete. Well played, Dad, well played. Now move to another town.. please!

His dad HATES AU. He got beat out by Bo and has been bitter ever since. He has been licking his chops to get back at us. Revenge complete. Well played, Dad, well played. Now move to another town.. please!

Won't say his dad hates AU, but do think he did not mind poking a finger in our eye.

His mom also has degrees from AU. Doubt that they are going to find a lot of friends among the AU alums.

Alan Evans is no fan of AU and still thinks he got the shaft because he couldn't beat out Bo, LOL. It was obvious during the recruiting process and that was solidified today.

wde

Won't say his dad hates AU, but do think he did not mind poking a finger in our eye.

His mom also has degrees from AU. Doubt that they are going to find a lot of friends among the AU alums.

Doesn't his dad own a business in Auburn? If he was indeed trolling AU, doesn't seem too smart.

Bama has an elite defense year in and year out. They put defensive players in the NFL at an unbelievable clip. We have been extremely poor in these areas the past few years. Hopefully the current staff will change that. Hard to beat them out for kids like Rashaan. I don't know the kid from Adam, but if he is one of these types that has his eye on the NFL, and he hears Bama's go-to recruiting pitch of "come here, and we will get you to the league", he buys in.

So...any apologies to those who saw this coming from those who were 99.9% certain RE was coming to AU.

Oh yeah....and let's blame it on a few reckless comments on this board. This entire charade as I called it a week or so ago was Reuben #2.

Sure it would have been nice to have Evans at AU ...but like TJY, he was never really ours. JMO

Evans did not pick bama at the last second. He's been bama all along. His job was to keep Gus recruiting him, wasting time and effort. It must have been quite a laugh to have all the AU coaches coming around knowing they had no chance. This has been the "revenge of Alan Evans" tour.

So...any apologies to those who saw this coming from those who were 99.9% certain RE was coming to AU.

Oh yeah....and let's blame it on a few reckless comments on this board. This entire charade as I called it a week or so ago was Reuben #2.

Sure it would have been nice to have Evans at AU ...but like TJY, he was never really ours. JMO

You called it, man. Evans has been a bammer from the word go. This is a favorite Nicky trick. AU wasted a whole lot of time, effort, money and emotion on a recruit that was never coming here. It was Reuben #2! Awful!

Archived