2015 4* JUCO CB Tony Bridges (Ole Miss signee)

McLoofus

Bad sign. How many of his former teammates are at Auburn now? What has he been hearing from them?

2 and they recruited him very hard to AU.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would have likely been one of those NFL-in-waiting caliber secondary players capable of man on man coverage on NFL in waiting WRs 40+ plays per game, 7 games per season, that Ellis needs if he's to successfully run his Star system in the SEC West. There's just not many of those type players around.

I'm basically ignorant in all things recruiting as far as coaching assignments to recruits go, but could someone enlighten me as to their effect? For instance, I see that Coach Melvin Smith was assigned to Tony Bridges, and he has also been assigned to past recruits Reuben Foster and Rashaan Evans. Is this a reflection on his ability as a recruiter/coach or just coincidences/casualties that inevitably happen in the job?

I'm basically ignorant in all things recruiting as far as coaching assignments to recruits go, but could someone enlighten me as to their effect? For instance, I see that Coach Melvin Smith was assigned to Tony Bridges, and he has also been assigned to past recruits Reuben Foster and Rashaan Evans. Is this a reflection on his ability as a recruiter/coach or just coincidences/casualties that inevitably happen in the job?

OUCH! I didn't realize that Smith was the recruiter for these 3. That certainly doesn't look good for him to be coming up with 3 L's in a row.

Foster might not be an L though considering there was a coaching change, etc.

Is there a list of guys that Smith locked down? I don't know much about this stuff either, just wondering.

OUCH! I didn't realize that Smith was the recruiter for these 3. That certainly doesn't look good for him to be coming up with 3 L's in a row.

Foster might not be an L though considering there was a coaching change, etc.

Is there a list of guys that Smith locked down? I don't know much about this stuff either, just wondering.

You can't hang Foster on Smith. That is the definition of 'reaching' IYAM.

Each assistant have territories they are responsible for. Gus breaks down Alabama into 9 different territories. The coaches scout those areas and bring reports to the position coaches of prospects in a territory if the 2 coaches are different. Then the position coach looks at the player and scouts him further. Then it goes up to Gus for the final ok. If the territory coach is a strong recruiter he stays on the prospect the position coach wants along with the position coach. If the territory recruiter is not as strong then the position coach comes to the forefront.

Coach Smith was not involved with Evans. That was Lashlee's territory and he was the lead recruiter on Evans. I have no clue about when he was at Miss St but Coach Smith also did not have a role in Foster's recruitment while at AU. That was before Gus had established territories and CEJ was Foster's lead recruiter.

No it's not Smith at all. Everybody know this was a big year for us to show something on defense. We dropped the ball and there will be consequences

OUCH! I didn't realize that Smith was the recruiter for these 3.

He wasn't for 2 of them.

Not a great day, but the doom and gloom on this site is overwhelming.

So is the sunshine pumping. If losing a heavily recruited likely superstar with two previous teammates helping the push, coupled with current defensive woes, lack of depth and the lack of commitments doesn't raise alarm bells, I don't know what would.

I have no inside knowledge what so ever and don't claim to. This does not pass the smell test, however...

OUCH! I didn't realize that Smith was the recruiter for these 3.

He wasn't for 2 of them.

Thanks for your explanations ellitor! And I apologize if I inadvertently put incorrect information on the thread. I just noticed a couple of recruiting sites had Smith underneath the recruiting for a couple of those guys, but I didn't dig that deep. Was mostly just interested in recruiting dynamics, which you clarified wonderfully. I'm of the opinion that it's very hard to communicate with 17-18 year old guys who are getting millions of ideas fed to them, but I was just curious for the thoughts of those with more understanding of the process as to how or when or if blame ever gets thrust onto the recruiter themselves or if its more of program performance that sways these guys. Good stuff. Thanks again!

Where there's smoke there's fire even if some here didn't wanna believe it. This has been discussed for quite a while and it has finally come to fruition. Nothing good about this but move on and keep going. Crying about it isn't gonna help. Coaches just gotta buckle down and getter done. :)

Thanks for your explanations ellitor! And I apologize if I inadvertently put incorrect information on the thread. I just noticed a couple of recruiting sites had Smith underneath the recruiting for a couple of those guys, but I didn't dig that deep. Was mostly just interested in recruiting dynamics, which you clarified wonderfully. I'm of the opinion that it's very hard to communicate with 17-18 year old guys who are getting millions of ideas fed to them, but I was just curious for the thoughts of those with more understanding of the process as to how or when or if blame ever gets thrust onto the recruiter themselves or if its more of program performance that sways these guys. Good stuff. Thanks again!

You're gladly welcome and no apologies needed. You used a generally decent source. They are generally good on those profile snipits but it's hard to know who the recruiters involved are sometimes unless you get to read the articles and see what these kids say, especially when a new staff is involved.

If anyone has watched our secondary play this year then it shouldn't be a surprise that a top CB doesn't want to come to AU, especially a JUCO guy that wants to play and get noticed from the moment they arrive on campus. I guess we can hope we find some "diamond-in-the -rough" type guys, i.e. Jerraud Powers.

Just another thing for the doom and gloomers to complain about.

maybe just another thing to get our coaches to pick it up on the defensive side. on the field and recruiting.

Archived