2015 4* LB/S Montavious Atkinson commits to AU!

metafour

UGA offers Auburn commit after camp

By Michael Carvell

UGA offered arguably the top performer at Thursday's 7-on-7 football camp.

And that player was Montavious Atkinson, a 3-star linebacker from Langston Hughes High School who is committed to Auburn.

Atkinson simply dominated the star-studded competition through the day, lining up at wide receiver and catching around 16 touchdowns to lead his team to the championship over Grayson. On defense, Atkinson altered between linebacker and his future college position of safety.

Before the 6-foot-2, 200-pounder boarded his school bus for the ride to Atlanta, he chatted with UGA defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt.

"He was telling me how much he liked how I made plays and my physicality," Atkinson said. "He said 'You have a full scholarship and I want you to be a Dawg.'

"That kind of caught me off guard because I didn't know about it. I didn't know it was coming. But after they told me about it, I felt excited because I grew up as a Georgia fan and I never thought that I would have that offer and Georgia would be somewhere I could go to."

How will the UGA offer affect Atkinson's commitment to Auburn? "I can't really say too much," he said. "I can look into it, but I can't really say too much.

"I mean, it was a great feeling just to have the offer. But I can't really say too much. War Eagle, so … It doesn't affect my commitment that much at all. I can look into it. I'm still going to look around and weigh my options, but I'm committed to Auburn."

If anything, Atkinson will likely rise in the recruiting rankings. He's currently rated as the state's No. 71 overall prospect in the 247sports composite rankings. He may not have the ideal size or speed, but he simply makes plays and has a tireless work ethic. There were dozen of elite D1 prospects at Thursday's event, and Atkinson was the best player on the field in almost every game he played in.

Note: Atkinson's high school teammate is 4-star defensive end D'Andre Walker, who also has Auburn and UGA among his favorites. They wouldn't mind playing together in college but they're not a package deal. "We used to talk about that a long time ago, but I haven't asked him about that in a while," Atkinson said.

- See more at: http://recruiting.bl...h.7bz1uIPw.dpuf

Ah, that's what we like ....another solid commitment...except if he decides to go somewhere else. Mikey not gonna be a happy camper when he reads that piece.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the recruiting game, "committed" does not mean what your dictionary says it means. In recruiting, committed means "current favorite". We should all adjust to that line of thinking.

I can see us.losing him, which stinks because Johnson has yet to deliver on his recruitment of the star. This was going to be the year.

We won't lose him. I think with the oncoming support he's getting on Twitter and other social media sites, he's slowly growing to love AU more. I think one of the reasons he was on the fence in the first place was because he was being overshadowed by the higher prospects in our class. Now he's getting a lot of recognition from AU fans, which in turn helps us in the long run. Just a guess though.

Call

I can see us.losing him, which stinks because Johnson has yet to deliver on his recruitment of the star. This was going to be the year.

Okay, I will just say that I find this amusing, and leave it at that.

The only reason he is even thinking about looking around is due to the # of guys that could potentially play STAR. And we may add Holland to this mix. Meanwhile, back in Reality World, they will be placed across the back 7. According to their physical and mental development and skill sets.

Recruitment of a position comes from on field succes at that position. If Therezie does well enough this year to get drafted fairly high many kids will try to jump on board for the Star position. Also a guy like Holland is big time. We are looking at him at both LB spots and Star.

Recruitment of a position comes from on field succes at that position. If Therezie does well enough this year to get drafted fairly high many kids will try to jump on board for the Star position. Also a guy like Holland is big time. We are looking at him at both LB spots and Star.

Although I think Holland could play the star well, I do not think he will have to because contrary to what Randman posted, we have done a terrific job of recruiting the Star position this year and Holland will be needed IMO at LB.

Although I think Holland could play the star well, I do not think he will have to because contrary to what Randman posted, we have done a terrific job of recruiting the Star position this year and Holland will be needed IMO at LB.

Great point. We were fortunate to already have 2 good, albeit different, Star players on roster. Also, as you pointed out, it looks like we have recruited Star well so far. Mackenro was recruited by this staff and id 3rd string at Star right now. Reports are the kid is developing well.

Great point. We were fortunate to already have 2 good, albeit different, Star players on roster. Also, as you pointed out, it looks like we have recruited Star well so far. Mackenro was recruited by this staff and id 3rd string at Star right now. Reports are the kid is developing well.

That is good to hear E. I think we are in good shape with the incoming class at Star. I hope Atkinson sticks.

He could be THE diamond in the rough for 2015. His ranking got moved up, and rightly so.

Hate to say this but his ranking went up after UGA offered. The thing E posted about ranking of HS players even got a mention that if big time programs star offers a kid, they will take another look.

He could be THE diamond in the rough for 2015. His ranking got moved up, and rightly so.

Hate to say this but his ranking went up after UGA offered. The thing E posted about ranking of HS players even got a mention that if big time programs star offers a kid, they will take another look.

The bump came from how he balled out at the UGA camp, not necessarily because they offered. There were atleast 2 247 evaluators at the camp and both felt Monty was easily the second best player in that camp.

Who was first?

The chicken, or the egg? I tend to say the chicken was first

On the chicken and egg thing some think it was the chicken only because the chicken got a bump in votes after visiting bama.

On the chicken and egg thing some think it was the chicken only because the chicken got a bump in votes after visiting bama.

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny. :-D

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, from the Tennessee Rivals site:

Montavious Atkinson: Atkinson may be committed to Auburn, but he's spent more time on Tennessee's campus the last few months including two times already this summer. The Vols are a major threat to pull the flip here.

FYI, from the Tennessee Rivals site:

Montavious Atkinson: Atkinson may be committed to Auburn, but he's spent more time on Tennessee's campus the last few months including two times already this summer. The Vols are a major threat to pull the flip here.

Not shocking but is surprising. The coaches were in in him early before he climbed the rankings. But it looks like they mag have others that could fill his slot and have not been aggressively trying to keep him. Time will tell.

Archived