2014 Spring Practice - Day 2

RunInRed

Limited media access but we did hear from OC Rhett Lashlee after today's session ...

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee says first two spring practices have been "solid overall."

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on his receivers: "We're two deep at every position, some three."

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on QB Nick Marshall in spring drills: "He's had a real calmness about him."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on losing OT Greg Robinson: "I don't think it'll be a huge, noticeable difference. We have four returning guys."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on QB Nick Marshall's passing: "I think we have the ability to push the ball down the field a little more."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on if QB Nick Marshall can play in the NFL: "Oh, without question."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on QB Nick Marshall's ability to lead in spring: "The first two days, he's been more vocal than he was all last year"

@AUGoldMine

Rhett Lashee: "Best part of the first two days, there's been a lot of energy … it's been refreshing for us as coaches."

Lashee on new guys: "Really we've got 4 guys that are new … they've done a really nice job, … they're picking it up pretty quick."

Lashlee said the team feels good about the 3 returning RBs: Artis-Payne, Grant & RS-Fr. Peyton Barber.

Rhett Lashlee: "This will be a big spring for Peyton (Barber)"

Lashlee commended QB Nick Marshall's more vocal leadership approach this spring, says he can now help other players.

Lashlee says Nick Marshall is more confident w/ his understanding of the offense.

@AUBlog

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee wants Nick Marshall's completion % around 65 this spring. Marshall completed 59% last season.

Lashlee believes RT Avery Young can be a leader along the line, capable of playing all three positions.

Lashlee said returning four starters, + the potential of OT's Shon Coleman and Pat Miller should limit the impact of losing Greg Robinson.

Lashlee on Nick Marshall being known only as zone-read QB: "I hope this time next fall, they think he's a truly complete quarterback"

@JHokanson

Any word on how many of our defensive players have died so far defending the hurry-up?

:lol:

None they were to busy faking injuries.(Sarcasm) :dunno:

Is it any wonder that Gus thinks so much of Rhett Lashlee? That guy will be a HFC somewhere and it wont be when he's nearly 50 years old. Glad we got him and hope we can keep him a while.

Any word on how many of our defensive players have died so far defending the hurry-up?

waiting on the autopsy...... :rimshot:

Is it any wonder that Gus thinks so much of Rhett Lashlee? That guy will be a HFC somewhere and it wont be when he's nearly 50 years old. Glad we got him and hope we can keep him a while.

I really wouldn't mind him being our HC one day. I mean Malzahn is one of the best football minds I've seen but it's crazy that he and Lashlee ended up so close personally, because they are both rare talents in coaching

Any word on the status of D. Owens??? Was he at practice today???

Yeah I think someone spotted Darryl Owens on the sidelines squirting Gatorade through players facemasks. I'm really looking for big things from him this year...

I really wouldn't mind him being our HC one day. I mean Malzahn is one of the best football minds I've seen but it's crazy that he and Lashlee ended up so close personally, because they are both rare talents in coaching

I'd say it only makes sense that they ended up so close personally, considering that Lashlee played for Malzahn in high school.

I don't want this to downplay the job Lashlee has been doing in any way, because he really is a great football mind, but he is a true Malzahn disciple. I would venture to say it's similar to a Socrates/Plato type of dynamic in that they are both brilliant, and Rhett may well go farther in his career due to learning so much from Gus that Gus put together on his own, thus giving the disciple a jump on the teacher with regard to age...but that initial spark still came from Gus.

I expect Lashlee will stay at Auburn for at least another 2-3 years before he gets the kind of head coaching offer that would lure him away, potentially longer because there may be questions amongst the brass at other schools as to how much the offensive success was him and how much was Gus, but I don't see him staying much longer than that if he does. Once he proves that he can be successful with a different type of QB than Marshall, it will only be a matter of time before he gets the right shot.

I don't know about him being our head coach one day, though...not because I wouldn't want him to be, just that by the time Malzahn is ready to retire, I suspect Lashlee will have already ingrained himself at another top shelf type of program. I mean, Gus won't turn 50 until October of 2015, so I'd prefer that he be the head man on the Plains for the next 10-15 years.

I'd say it only makes sense that they ended up so close personally, considering that Lashlee played for Malzahn in high school.

I don't want this to downplay the job Lashlee has been doing in any way, because he really is a great football mind, but he is a true Malzahn disciple. I would venture to say it's similar to a Socrates/Plato type of dynamic in that they are both brilliant, and Rhett may well go farther in his career due to learning so much from Gus that Gus put together on his own, thus giving the disciple a jump on the teacher with regard to age...but that initial spark still came from Gus.

I expect Lashlee will stay at Auburn for at least another 2-3 years before he gets the kind of head coaching offer that would lure him away, potentially longer because there may be questions amongst the brass at other schools as to how much the offensive success was him and how much was Gus, but I don't see him staying much longer than that if he does. Once he proves that he can be successful with a different type of QB than Marshall, it will only be a matter of time before he gets the right shot.

I don't know about him being our head coach one day, though...not because I wouldn't want him to be, just that by the time Malzahn is ready to retire, I suspect Lashlee will have already ingrained himself at another top shelf type of program. I mean, Gus won't turn 50 until October of 2015, so I'd prefer that he be the head man on the Plains for the next 10-15 years.

My comments were specifically with regard to how likable he seems because of his overall demeanor, the way he takes questions and his perspective. I have no idea how long he stays at Auburn but I have no problem seeing why Gus has brought him along like he has. Rhett Lashlee is a keeper of the highest order and a big asset to Gus and to Auburn's football program. He is still very young so I would expect him to be around for a while but Im reluctant to say how long.

Very impressive command of the game. He would be a great HC in a few more years.

My comments were specifically with regard to how likable he seems because of his overall demeanor, the way he takes questions and his perspective. I have no idea how long he stays at Auburn but I have no problem seeing why Gus has brought him along like he has. Rhett Lashlee is a keeper of the highest order and a big asset to Gus and to Auburn's football program. He is still very young so I would expect him to be around for a while but Im reluctant to say how long.

Oh, I agreed with your post entirely; I was responding to Auburn4Winners.

Thank you. I needed to smile this morning and this made me laugh out loud. One of the most funny things I have read here.

Wow, Red; I had you pegged totally wrong. I'd have thought you'd have ventured some sort of Yoda/Luke comparison....

:poke:

Great to see that our head coach has so much faith and trust in his co-ordinators/assistants that he ALLOWS them to talk directly to the media. Not like the dictator across the state who controls all info given to the media. I wonder how he's going to keep kiffin under control?

Thank you. I needed to smile this morning and this made me laugh out loud. One of the most funny things I have read here.

"I AM NOT A COMEDIAN!" - Bert Bielema

Personally, I just hope their passing was quick and that they didn't suffer too much.

Limited media access but we did hear from OC Rhett Lashlee after today's session ...

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee says first two spring practices have been "solid overall."

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on his receivers: "We're two deep at every position, some three."

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on QB Nick Marshall in spring drills: "He's had a real calmness about him."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on losing OT Greg Robinson: "I don't think it'll be a huge, noticeable difference. We have four returning guys."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on QB Nick Marshall's passing: "I think we have the ability to push the ball down the field a little more."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on if QB Nick Marshall can play in the NFL: "Oh, without question."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on QB Nick Marshall's ability to lead in spring: "The first two days, he's been more vocal than he was all last year"

@AUGoldMine

Rhett Lashee: "Best part of the first two days, there's been a lot of energy … it's been refreshing for us as coaches."

Lashee on new guys: "Really we've got 4 guys that are new … they've done a really nice job, … they're picking it up pretty quick."

Lashlee said the team feels good about the 3 returning RBs: Artis-Payne, Grant & RS-Fr. Peyton Barber.

Lashlee commended QB Nick Marshall's more vocal leadership approach this spring, says he can now help other players.

Lashlee says Nick Marshall is more confident w/ his understanding of the offense.

@AUBlog

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee wants Nick Marshall's completion % around 65 this spring. Marshall completed 59% last season.

Lashlee believes RT Avery Young can be a leader along the line, capable of playing all three positions.

Lashlee said returning four starters, + the potential of OT's Shon Coleman and Pat Miller should limit the impact of losing Greg Robinson.

Lashlee on Nick Marshall being known only as zone-read QB: "I hope this time next fall, they think he's a truly complete quarterback"

@JHokanson

Red, thanks for everything you do by bringing us these videos of what is happening on the Plains. Great stuff. I was wondering if it is possible to get a mike in front of the interviewer so I can hear what they are saying? I am older than dirt and my hearing is awful due to too much time around jet engines during my career as a Marine aviator. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. TIA

@AUGoldMine

@AUBlog

@JHokanson

Red, thanks for everything you do by bringing us these videos of what is happening on the Plains. Great stuff. I was wondering if it is possible to get a mike in front of the interviewer so I can hear what they are saying? I am older than dirt and my hearing is awful due to too much time around jet engines during my career as a Marine aviator. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Aside to Slammer1

Sir - My dad at exit physical (after career in helicopters): Otologist said "Don't waste money on HiFi."

Many Thanks

Wow, Red; I had you pegged totally wrong. I'd have thought you'd have ventured some sort of Yoda/Luke comparison....

:poke:

:laugh: I'd be more likely to go with Qui Gon/Obi Wan, personally...I mean, Kenobi was Luke's first mentor, after all. :P

Archived