Auburns off the field issues

hunter021003

See where al.com is piling on today..... running the dash cam of Nick's stop. ...bammers having a blast.

Boy, you would think this would be lesson to all of these guys : "Want the whole world to see you being an idiot? .....just get caught with drugs or pot and the state's crack news journalists will run the story for a week...and it will be on YouTube for your entire life".

And don't give me the "poor Auburn, nobody loves us" stuff....life is what it is...and you have to deal with it like an adult...even when you are 18 or whatever..

AU64, I am not going to give you the woe is us stuff but IMO Brandon Marcello's hack job on Marshall is way over the top and was nothing but an attempt to get hits on his article from all the bammies, which by the way, is working very nicely. I know Gus will mete out punishment to Nick Marshall but he sure as hell doesn't need any of Marcello's help. The kid has alrady suffered a lot without Marcello piling on. When I was 18 I would have made Marshall look like a choir boy.Thank God for the Marine Corps. Some people mature quicker than others and some never mature at all. I am really not sure where I fit in though. ;D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See where al.com is piling on today..... running the dash cam of Nick's stop. ...bammers having a blast.

Boy, you would think this would be lesson to all of these guys : "Want the whole world to see you being an idiot? .....just get caught with drugs or pot and the state's crack news journalists will run the story for a week...and it will be on YouTube for your entire life".

And don't give me the "poor Auburn, nobody loves us" stuff....life is what it is...and you have to deal with it like an adult...even when you are 18 or whatever..

AU64, I am not going to give you the woe is us stuff but IMO Brandon Marcello's hack job on Marshall is way over the top and was nothing but an attempt to get hits on his article from all the bammies, which by the way, is working very nicely. I know Gus will mete out punishment to Nick Marshall but he sure as hell doesn't need any of Marcello's help. The kid has alrady suffered a lot without Marcello piling on. When I was 18 I would have made Marshall look like a choir boy.Thank God for the Marine Corps. Some people mature quicker than others and some never mature at all. I am really not sure where I fit in though. ;D

I don't think Marcello's piece was a hack job. The video was already posted by WRBL. Marcello didn't unearth the video and is fair in his presentation of the facts.

It's way to late for you............................to mature

I'll be shocked if Marshal is suspended. I'll be surprised if mincy is. Gus said this was Marshal's first offense so the school policy says he won't miss any games. So why suspend him? To send a message? Their are some very good pbs documentaries that will do that. Have the team watch one of those. I don't think Marshals incident at UGA should come into play here. He was already punished for that transgression.

Gus hadn't come out and said this is mincy's first offense so he could be in more trouble. If it is his first offense (since Gus got here) then I hope Gus follows school policy on the matter.

The blame falls squarely on the player - it's summer they are on their own. The players are young adults that have had the team rules hammered into their heads relentlessly for a lonnnnnnnnng time. Our players are the leaders of our team - Nick is the SEC championship winning QB, he is the face of the entire team, Mincy is a senior leader. They smoke weed..........and they got caught. That's not Coach Malzhan or any other AU coaches fault.

I'll be shocked if Marshal is suspended. I'll be surprised if mincy is. Gus said this was Marshal's first offense so the school policy says he won't miss any games. So why suspend him? To send a message? Their are some very good pbs documentaries that will do that. Have the team watch one of those. I don't think Marshals incident at UGA should come into play here. He was already punished for that transgression.

Gus hadn't come out and said this is mincy's first offense so he could be in more trouble. If it is his first offense (since Gus got here) then I hope Gus follows school policy on the matter.

There's a school policy that there is no suspension for the first positive test for marijuana. I think the policy for run-ins with the law is different (convening a disciplinary panel that considers the details of the case and metes out punishment).

I suspect Nick will not miss any time, however. I do think it's more likely that Mincy misses time.

One of the better ways to avoid having your life cluttered with meaningless crap is to avoid Al.com.

That would be nice. Since national sports media frequently quotes and otherwise uses Al.com as its source though, I'd feel like the preverbial ostrich.

The blame falls squarely on the player - it's summer they are on their own. The players are young adults that have had the team rules hammered into their heads relentlessly for a lonnnnnnnnng time. Our players are the leaders of our team - Nick is the SEC championship winning QB, he is the face of the entire team, Mincy is a senior leader. They smoke weed..........and they got caught. That's not Coach Malzhan or any other AU coaches fault.

Yep. And re the spotlight on high profile guys, fairly or not, Jameis Winston says hello. Of course FSU doesn't deal with anything like Al.com and it has a local State Attorney that wears a garnet & gold tie to his press conferences announcing no charges.

Just to think roughly 4 four months ago, some poster said it was eerie for everything was going too smoothly. next time knock on wood please

I agree with Slammer1 about the article today on NM on Al.com. It served no purpose. Marcelo needs to go somewhere else.

Understand....and agree 100% with the assessment of BM....and if he ever shows up looking to interview with an AU player I hope they just ignore him. There was no reason to beat up on Nick other than a small time news hack trying to rack up hits on his column.

BUT the AU guys should know this what is going to happen....and the smarter ones will realize that they have to be "purer than Caesar's wife" as the old adage implore us....and stay away from such situations. It just isn't that hard to do.

Does anybody else think its not a coincidence that behavioral issues started popping up as soon as our recruiting classes started to become highly ranked?

Does anybody else think its not a coincidence that behavioral issues started popping up as soon as our recruiting classes started to become highly ranked?

This. Arrogance breeds trouble. Maybe Gus and co won't have to get all 4/5* guys to win?

We've always had some of this, highly rated players or not. If anything the last few years, after the lame-brain four, have been relatively quiet.

We've always had some of this, highly rated players or not. If anything the last few years, after the lame-brain four, have been relatively quiet.

You are right Mikey

Right off the top Jeff Burger comes to mind. IIRC back in '86 or '87 Burger was arrested for public drunkeness, fighting, and carrying a concealed weapon.

It's way to late for you............................to mature

You remind me of the pot and the kettle!! :tease:

You are right Mikey

Right off the top Jeff Burger comes to mind. IIRC back in '86 or '87 Burger was arrested for public drunkeness, fighting, and carrying a concealed weapon.

I can't speak for anything that happened that long ago (I was in diapers) but it seems like in Gene Chizik's 4 years we had more off-field trouble than in all of Tub's 10 years combined. Maybe Tubs swept it under the rug better like in Quentin Groves' case of domestic abuse. It wasn't even publicly known until NFL draft scouts uncovered it. I would think the media would've been all over it when it happened. Tubs also handed out much harsher penalties -- suspending Tray Blackmon for a good number of games for underage drinking. I know Tubs had to suspend/kick off a handful of Bowden's recruits (DeAndre Green shooting??). One could think 'maybe's he's weeding out Chizik's bad apples" but...he brought Dyer to Ark St. Nick Marshall had a questionable past. Same with Tray Matthews. And before you jump on me for bringing NM, TM, and MD up -- when something bad goes on like in Dyer's case, or as some people are saying about NM -- when something bad happens a second, 3rd time, the reasonable response is "well, what exactly did you expect? He has proven himself to make terrible decisions in his past." Sure Cam learned, but for every guy who learns there is someone who doesn't. I just try to look at it from EVERY angle. The thing that gets me long ago on this board when we had Tubs, we applauded the program for not having these types of issues and how other schools had to worry about the program being torn down from within by these types of actions. It's happened to us under Chiz's watch (sure its not 100% of the reason, but it has to attribute to it). I am really hoping under Gus we won't have to deal with more of this. Not that it makes a legitimate difference in my life actually, because its these kids who are throwing awesome opportunities away that could better their lives.

OK I'm done rambling

*Note* Michael Dyer did indeed transfer to Arkansas State for a second chance shot, but was suspended before playing a single down because he didn't learn his lesson.

I did not read all the messages, sorry.

I saw a message about JJ, with Gus and our OL I truly believe we can in the SEC with JJ

Our games will not be as close if Marshall plays.

We have not done anything to have the NCAA at our front door. This will pass, and Nick will carry us the NC and will win it.

I would like to see mincy and nick suspended a game or two. I guess I'm glad nick won't be. Yes JJ could get us by ark fairly well but the practice time lost would have a season long damage on our offense. These 3 weeks of camp and the first game are critical to development and timing. For a #2qb to be ready to play the entire first game he would have to get probably 2/3 of the preseason snaps. You just can't have a qb getting in this kind of trouble. I don't see it as a minor mistake. I know it is what it is, but you have to wonder if he drives around alone puffing weed with illegal tint how many more serious situations he put himself into. So for us we just have to get over the embarrassment of our qb getting negative press(god forbid this happen to a bammer qb starter, the hypocrisy would be crazy here) . It is always easier to get behind a team or player when they can at least follow the law.

I would like to see mincy and nick suspended a game or two. I guess I'm glad nick won't be. Yes JJ could get us by ark fairly well but the practice time lost would have a season long damage on our offense. These 3 weeks of camp and the first game are critical to development and timing. For a #2qb to be ready to play the entire first game he would have to get probably 2/3 of the preseason snaps. You just can't have a qb getting in this kind of trouble. I don't see it as a minor mistake. I know it is what it is, but you have to wonder if he drives around alone puffing weed with illegal tint how many more serious situations he put himself into. So for us we just have to get over the embarrassment of our qb getting negative press(god forbid this happen to a bammer qb starter, the hypocrisy would be crazy here) . It is always easier to get behind a team or player when they can at least follow the law.

He was not driving around puffing. Had that been the case they'd have tagged him for DUI. It may have been days or weeks since he had a puff, but however long it was it was far enough in the past that the cop let him drive away, determining him to be unimpaired by weed.

We have not done anything to have the NCAA at our front door. This will pass, and Nick will carry us the NC and will win it.

i like how u think,this too shall pass War Eagle

Archived